Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
habjolokia

Tap water, bottled water, rain water

habjolokia z 6b/7
11 years ago

I've notice a problem, has anyone experienced this, bottled water no seed germination. Tap water and rain water seeds germinate. Does not matter if its soil or ziplock bag both do not germinate. This happened last year and this year.

Mark

Comments (20)

• mbellot
    11 years ago

Never used anything but tap water (good ole Chicago water).

I do leave it on the counter for a day to let the chlorine dissipate, but that's it.

• vermiman
    11 years ago

I wouldn't want to drink that bottled water!

• tsheets
    11 years ago

I haven't noticed a difference. I generally germinate/water with bottled water at that stage, because I use a squirt bottle as much as anything. But, sometimes just use tap water. Our water is very hard, I don't think anyone or thing should be subject to that stuff! LOL Maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but not much. :-)

• chilliwin
    11 years ago

I use only the tap water but prefer distilled water and rain water. Bottled water may have many different minerals that may not be favorable for the seeds.

The tap water here also problems, for example coffee maker and water heater need clean regularly with some special liquid cleaner to clean the lime like built up inside the container.

Caelian

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I am going to stay away from bottled water, I've used two different brands. Maybe as Caelian stated minerals in the bottled water could be causing no germination.

Tap water or rain water from now on. Maybe I should reconsider even drinking bottled water.

Thanks,
    Mark

• leafericson
    11 years ago

Check out this link about bottled water.

Eric

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.allaboutwater.org/bottled-water.html

This post was edited by LeafEricson on Tue, Jan 29, 13 at 8:57

• leafericson
    11 years ago

Oh, here's a funny one from Penn and Teller.

Eric

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfPAjUvvnIc

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

They (Penn & Teller) never tested it on seeds.
    Bruce

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

I too use tap water that I sit for a day to let the chlorine dissipate. 100% germination so far (kncck wood).

• leafericson
    11 years ago

Sorry Bruce, I just thought it was something interesting to share about bottled water.
    I have had the same experience with bottled water and low germination rates. Know I just use tap water, it works just fine for me.

Eric

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

Given how shady bottled water really is (did you know it has absolutely no oversight or inspection at all if it isn't shipped across state lines?), it would not surprise me in the least to find out they're doping it with herbicides to keep it from growing algae since they don't put any chlorine in it.

Generally bottled water is bad stuff, don't touch it with a 10' pole if you can help it.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all for the additional information and links. It's proven to nix germination for seeds, I deem it unsafe for that reason I'm out. No more bottled water for plants or for me and my family. It's a shame since I lost 4 varieties to bottled water to include Galapagos. Thankfully I was sent 3 galapagos pods.

Started all 4 varieties last evening watered with tap water will keep you all posted.

Mark

• Bill_Missy
    11 years ago

I use "luke warm" to warm tap water only. No issues.

• chilliwin
    11 years ago

It is so nice and useful to read all the information and experiences of our forum members here.

I never thought seriously about the water I use for germination, normally I used tap water. Once I used distilled water for spray the plants because the tap water spray make the leaves so ugly. When the water dried all the leaves have whitish residues from the water probably the lime/chalk. When the tap water is dried always chalk/lime built up on the surface. So we have vinegar plus solution for regular cleaning. One of my friends apartment's tap water is pretty bad when he boils it the water lost its color, it looks like water with milk. I hate this chalky water. However, I do not know this hard water is good for the plant.

Caelian

• Jan-willem
    11 years ago

Our tap water here is so hard it comes with free pebbles.

I switch between tap water and cheap distilled, depending on if I've gotten to the supermarket or not. Tested the distilled with a pond quick-test kit and it read zero on all nutrients/neutral pH, so that at least isn't just rebranded tap water. Both will germinate pepper seeds.

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

I mostly just water my stuff from a rain barrel. Not even a rain barrel, its just a big plastic tub I set under the corner of the roof where the carport meets the house to form a nice V. Funnels it all into the barrel nicely, and the tub's big wide mouth means I can just dunk the entire watering can into it.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here it is 9 days after I sowed seeds using tap water and I have Bhuts. So far two sprouted this morning. Once I get home will check to see if any others sprouted. Bottled water is a no go in my book. Not even buying the stuff anymore.

This post was edited by habjolokia on Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 19:52

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

Good, bottled water is a waste of money and bad for the environment to boot.

Tap water is much safer, healthier, and better for the environment all around. If you've got particularly hard water or are paranoid that the gubberment is going to control your brain by doping the water with LSD (or whatever it is weird people are afraid of drinking tap water believe), grab a Brita water filter that screws onto the faucet.

The quicker the bottled water industry dies, the better off we'll all be.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ha lol yeah we picked up a Brita funny you mentioned it. So it's now 4 Bhuts and one Bhut with stinger growing. Waiting for my white Habs and galapagos to sprout. Too bad I can only keep 4. Will have to give the others away.

Mark

• kitteh
    11 years ago

Most of the big brands are just filtered tap water - they probably really are putting something unlisted in them.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County