Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
herman_neutics

Purple pepper id

herman_neutics
9 years ago

Howdy folks,

My farmers market{{gwi:807}} buddy gave me a handful of these peppers late in autumn 2014. I gave them to my mother in law. She loved them. My friend was kind enough to share a cutting that I was able to get going.It is producing loads of flowers and a few fruits.

I was hoping someone here could ID it. I did some searching on my own and I thought that it looked a lot like naga jolokia purple. It has a very fruity flavor and to my taste it's in the hot to very hot range. I'm not sure if it turns colors. The peppers he gave me were the same color as the pepper in the picture{{gwi:807}}. I plan on leaving these fruits on the plant long enough to harvest viable seeds.

Should i limit the flowering and fruiting until I get the plant out side? That would be in mid may in my area.

Thanks very much for your attention and expertise.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j152/vondankenhookah/purplepepper_zps219ce09c.jpg

This post was edited by herman_neutics on Sun, Jan 18, 15 at 14:55

Comments (18)

• Edymnion
    9 years ago

Small purple pod, elongated, slightly curled, my first thought is that its a Masquerade.

• herman_neutics
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Edymnion.

They look very alike. But in contrast my pepper plant has pendulous fruit and ive not seen the peppers any color other than the purple color shown. Might it still be 'Masquerade'?

This post was edited by herman_neutics on Mon, Jan 19, 15 at 20:45

• Edymnion
    9 years ago

Okay, pendulous instead of upright pretty much rules Masquerade out.

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

Looks exactly like my purple cayenne.
    Pam

• scorion1
    9 years ago

Mr Purple Pepper.

• herman_neutics
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again folks. The description of mr. purple says that it will turn yellow. I havent seen that happen.

Does puple cayenne eventually turn red? Maybe my peppers will grow larger but so far they are much smaller than cayennes ive cooked with.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

When I look at your picture, I think what you have is probably an eggplant. Not just the fruit, but the foliage is purple and the calix resembles more to an eggplant than pepper.

Have you tried them ?

Seysonn

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

Herman, they say that the purple cayenne will eventually turn red, I haven't had one turn red yet. And yes, the purples are smaller than the regular red varieties (or even the yellow for that matter), mine are usually 3-5" long.
    Pam

• styno
    9 years ago

That looks like a 'pimente de neyde' to me.
    Very nice plurple plants as well and the fruits can be quite hot. Difficult to spot when the peppers are ripe as they will stay purple during anyg phase of their life.

• herman_neutics
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I appreciate all the suggestions.

I have tasted one and it is hot and fruity spicy.

It seems slimmer than the pics shown of 'pimente de neyde'.

The fruit is still very dark purple. It has maybe grown a little bit. I'll make a fresh picture of it soon.

Here is a clear picture of a flower. I don't know if that helps with ID much but it can't hurt right?

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Looks like a purple Cayenne to me. They do look smaller than the ones I grew,so it may be a hybrid cayenne purple cross.

Here is a link that might be useful: purple Cayenne

• herman_neutics
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes it does look like a match. I was thinking that purple cayennes change to red.

The chileman doesn't mention them turning color and they are like cayenne but smaller. I think it is indeed purple cayenne. Thanks everyone.

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Purple Cayenne do change to red. It just takes a long time.

• herman_neutics
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks ronny..I am going to let the fruit become completely ripe and keep my eye on the color. I will report back to confirm or reassess. Right now there is a pepper that has been hanging for about 6 weeks.It is completely very dark purple.

• Chris
    9 years ago

That quarter is super old! I hope you save it!

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

Similar but not quite!

Here is a link that might be useful: Mystery hot purple pepper...

• herman_neutics
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey Folks,

The guy who gave me the cutting did know the cultivar{{gwi:807}} name. I simply do not recall what he said. I normally only cross paths with him at a seasonal farmers market so i might be waiting untill May to get the final word.

I will post another pic of the pod soon. (with the same old timey quarter)

Thanks everyone for your interest and help.

Ronny how long about does that cayenne color change take?

This post was edited by herman_neutics on Fri, Jan 30, 15 at 15:52

• herman_neutics
    Original Author
    9 years ago

this is a current photo of the pepper. It's been hanging for at least 6 weeks. I have my doubts about it turning another color.
    The pod is resting on the ruler.

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions