Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spicy pickled brussel sprouts....

Posted by greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 6, 14 at 23:52

My friend at the Farm was pickling brussel sprouts this weekend, and she invited me over to make a special batch....so I brought Red, Yellow, and Chocolate Ghost Peppers to make some proper sprouts! I did 6 quarts with the Ghosts, then another quart that I loaded with Jalapeno and Serrano. Due to the absorption of the brine, I'll store these upside down to keep the top sprouts fully saturated. Can't wait to try these out!

Mrs. Wages spicy pickling spice, dill, and garlic. And peppers.

Josh

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spicy pickled brussel sprouts....

Damn! Those look good. It was 20 degrees with a 30 MPH wind yesterday so I stayed in and made hot sauce and salsa with a variety of my dried peppers.
Good excuse to drink beer at 9:00 AM...

o

Good excuse, indeed, Tom. There might have been a cran-vodka cocktail consumed during the making of these.... ;-)

Josh

o

I hate brussel sprouts. I can't even smell them without vomiting in my mouth a little bit. if I try to eat them, I vomit almost immediately. doesn't matter how they're prepared. you can wrap them in bacon and cover them in cheese, and I still can't even handle smelling them. I have no idea why that is. I just can't stand them. and my brother absolutely loves them. as you can imagine, that made for an interesting childhood in a house where you can't leave the table til you've cleaned your plate.

o

You might like them like this....or you might just vomit a little less from them ;-)
By the way, Jason, I sent your seeds out. I'm slowly getting around to it.

Josh

o

Those look amazing!! I absolutely love brussel sprouts! I usually sauté them with a little bacon......but it looks like I'll need to mix it up from now on!

o

Looks good! I am planning on planting Brussel Sprouts this year so thanks for the idea!

o

I pickle okra with peppers. I've never tried Brussel Sprouts. That looks really good.

o

I've pickled okra, peppers, carrots, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, green beans, beets, and of course cucumbers....I love a good pickled vegetable!

Cracked open the jar of Yellow Ghost sprouts the other day, and they were so delicious. They have just the right amount of crunch...not mooshy as one might expect. The sprouts by themselves really have very little heat. The garlic is amazingly flavorful.

Two of my friends and I decided to fish the pepper out and try it directly. Classic mistake. The Yellow Ghost wasn't too hot, but certainly overwhelmed the mouth and stomach for a solid eight minutes :-)

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here