Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rustacator

Fighting white fungus during germanation...

Rusty
11 years ago

Hey guys just an another rant and rave by me again :),

This is my first time using a heat mat and I have the temp set at 81 degrees to help aid in the germination process. We'll i bought
a bag of MG seed stater "something I normally get". Got home open it up and what do i find sitting on top white fungus in the bag. So I brought it back to Lowe's. At the store I ended up opening 3 more bags with them all having white fungus in it" by the way manager was there watching this" and after the 3rd bag he told me he's gonna have a recall on the bags. So i asked him if i could try the Jiffy brand open it up every thing looks great, I moved the soil around and said I'll buy this bag. " Sorry for long story."

But anyways I set up my Burpee self watering seedling starter kit "buy 1 a year $20 for 70 seedlings." set it up, and next day white fungus.

I have been spraying once every other day a light cover of 3% H.P. on them. "3 times including today (started germination the 2nd of Feb) just because it keeps coming back" Also I let it air out for at least 8 hours a day plus I have it propped open.

Now what I'm wondering if both brands are getting there stuff from the same place that has a problem or if its just me? Also is multiple spraying of very light soak of H.P. gonna hurt much?

Good news is in the first 3 days I took some Veggie seedlings out. And yesterday took half of my tomato seedlings out. And now the my Jalapeno's are starting to sprout. I wait for leaves before taking out, and transplant to bio pot. They go out side in full sun but in my make shift sun diffuser box "take pictures tomarrow and show." and come in at night. 50's to cold for them baby's :)

Oh here's the set up in my office at the house. "Btw that is not water spots that is H.P.(hydrogen peroxide) just sprayed 2 mins before pics. and the tops where dry when I sprayed them."

Comments (4)

• smokemaster_2007
    11 years ago

Some people use a weak Chamomile tea when they water to fight fungus.
    I've read Neem also works.
    I use neither,never had your problem.
    I have had a few mushrooms grow in my pots outside but it didn't mess anything up...Usually means too much water.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

I imagine that your grow area as well as all your supplies are infested with the white fungus. Unless you clean everything down with bleach and even replace most of the supplies, you are probably just transferring it from one grow setup to another. It may have originated in the first bag of MG that you used. I have had seedlings do fine before in soil with some 'white fungus' on the surface. I suppose it has to do with exactly what kind of fungus it is. It may be harmless to your plants or it may be something like damping off fungus which would really be a problem. I wouldn't panic too much but I would keep an eye on it and your plants. Otherwise, you will be looking at replacing all your supplies, tools and wiping down a whole lot of stuff.
    I don't know if the HP will help with the fungus itself, but it will help with fungus gnats if you have them. For fungus gnats, I usually mix it 1 part HP to 4 parts water and water my plants with it. That gets all the soil and not just the top layer. Spraying HP in full (3%) strength, might be too harsh to directly apply to a new seedling or emerging seedling.
    Bruce

• Rusty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well the problem I think is the heating mat but I'm going to bare with it. After I transplant the seedlings to the bio pots the fungus disappears because of the air flow. But since it's a "heated" green house, the fungus comes back after 2 days. so far none of the seedlings have died I do have about 21 seedlings, but just looked in the green house I got 6 jalapenos sprouting and 2 bean sprouts, so I don't think the fungus is a bad type. but I am watching it.
    - Smokemaster -
    I have used Chamomile tea and Neem before but I'm not sure how it would affect Germ/seedlings. But yea I was figuring to much water but the soil for germination is like perfect it is barely moist.

- Esox07 -
    I have a feeling the fungus got transferred when I open up the bag of good soil at the store after opening 3 bad bags. it could of transferred by my hands. As for the location, container, soil that's all brand new "location new spot in house". for the seedling tools they all get soap washed before storing, then before using they get washed with a bleach mix. Also as for the HP the germ rate and seedling rate have been good so far, and doesn't seem to have any effect on them.

• peppermeister1
    11 years ago

The chamomile tea solution works well but more importantly is air circulation. If you don't keep the air in the room moving, you'll be fighting the fungus battle for a while. A small oscillating fan should do the trick.

Here is a link that might be useful: Did someone say free pepper seeds?

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County