Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hillseeker

Trinidad Scorpion and Yellow Leaves

hillseeker
11 years ago

Hi Guys,

I have one or two hot peppers out of 25 that have yellowing of the bottom 2 or 4 sets of leaves and leaves falling off. All plants planted in well draining soil and are not being over watered. Actually the moisture ended up being sucked out of them the other day and I lost my chocolate bhut that I was overwintering. I'm hoping that's all it is. I've fertilized just recently with a seedling starter type for root growth but not until they had enough sets of leaves. They were just repotted about 2 weeks ago. Nitrogen deficiency? Enough light? Speaking of light, how many hours should I be giving them? I've always just winged it.

Thanks for your help!

Comments (14)

• hillseeker
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You can see that the others are doing well.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Make sure it is getting enough light and that it is not getting watered too often. Those are two of the more common reasons for yellowing leaves.
    Bruce

• hillseeker
    Original Author
    11 years ago

How many hours of light is sufficient given a good quality light? I am using Grolux as that's what was gifted to me and know it's not strong enough but can't spend the few hundred for a better one. I have more reno's I want to do with the greenhouse. I tried reflecting some of the light back and it did help a bit. Thanks for the advice Bruce!

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

You can buy a 4 foot shop light and two T8 bulbs for under $20 and that would be enough light for a dozen or so plants in those 3.5" containers. You would want the 6500K (Daylight) bulbs. You don't need light fixtures that are sold as grow lights and you don't need bulbs that are labeled as Grow bulbs such as Grolux. IMO, it is a marketing ploy as much as anything.

Otherwise, you might want to get the Scorpion in a south or SW facing window during the day as much as possible and see if the real sun doesn't give it a boost.
    Bruce

• Trevor58
    11 years ago

Try 16 hrs of light. I just started my peppers. Trinidad scorpions, naga viper, red savina habanero, choc. scotch bonnets, habanero's and Jalapenos. All are up get a little water everyother day for now and 16 hrs of light. I do have my lights on timers.

• hillseeker
    Original Author
    11 years ago

How many hours of light is sufficient given a good quality light? I am using Grolux as that's what was gifted to me and know it's not strong enough but can't spend the few hundred for a better one. I have more reno's I want to do with the greenhouse. I tried reflecting some of the light back and it did help a bit. Thanks for the advice Bruce!

• hillseeker
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry for the duplicate post somehow. I appreciate the light feedback. They are on about 16 hours now and doing good. I will look into what you recommended for a light Bruce. Good to know it's most likely a light or moisture issue. :) You guys here are awesome Thanks!

• northerner_on
    11 years ago

Hi HillSeeker: Sorry to hijack your post, but I've responded to you on the Exchange Forum and sent you two e-mails about the exchange we had discussed. If you do not want to continue with the exchange, pls. let me know. As I said, I am having surgery soon and want to have all seed stuff out of the way.

• hillseeker
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Northerner_on,

I'm not sure why you are not getting my e-mails. I've tried a few times to your direct e-mail address and I cannot reply to you through GardenWeb. It says that is disabled on your profile. If you would still like to trade please let me know. I would like to. Sorry for the delay and problems!

Carmen

• hillseeker
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So far I've been successful but now having one bhut looking wilty and sad. Possibly damping off disease? I also have other peppers showing yellowed bottom leaves. Is it possible that I fed them too early or too much? I don't think I over watered but it is possible.

• hillseeker
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Only the bottom leaves are wilty on the bhut but I figure it will be dead any day. This pepper is very yellowed. Not sure what is going wrong here. My mix?

• ab2008
    11 years ago

Hillseeker,

I found a couple of links that may be of some use. I'm not sure if it is, but it's worth the read.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/pests/msg0111413026474.html

http://web.extension.illinois.edu/cfiv/homeowners/070828.html

The second is an article about yellowing leaves.

Hope that helps a little and you get the plants in tip top shape.

Amos

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

How are you fertilizing?

• hillseeker
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow Amos, thank you so much. This is exactly the right direction I needed to be pointed in. This forum has so much information and people with invaluable knowledge. It is just a matter of finding it.

Update: Created air circulation with fan and making sure not to over or underwater them. That has improved all of them dramatically. Will do more research into soils as the mix I made is most likely not the best suited for them but is well draining. I used Plant-Prod 10-52-10 Starter but I may have been too anxious and should have let them develop a bit more. I haven't had any further yellowing and the rest of the plants are a deep green. Hopefully I'm on the homeward bound. I really wanted to try these peppers!

Thanks again!