Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what next on heavily cut back bell pepper (noob)

Posted by wolph none (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 20, 14 at 2:09

Hello I hope I am posting this in the correct area.if not let me know and I will move/delete it. I have a 1 1/2 year old bell pepper from a big box store. It was in poorly deained pot and was probably suffering major root probablems.I chopped it for winter and repoted it in sunshine mix#4 with a small amount of slow release vigoro 12-10-5 ,lime and some Indonesia bat guano. My question is do I pick the small fruits that are starting to appear? Will it start to shoot steams? Basic pruning and what to do next for it? Thank you I'm new to this and any shared knowlage would be greatly appreciated.

Also is there a probablem using "sweet prilled lime" pellitized?
Thank you all advice will be greatly appreciated! !!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what next on heavily cut back bell pepper (noob)

If that's a current picture I would say it looks healthy. You said fruits are developing already? Do you want it to grow more?

o

I want it to grow as big as possible since it is early in the season.right now it is just a stick with some leaves.
Will it be ok to let it grow peppers or should I pull them off and allow for more veg growth?(there is very small peppers starting to form)
As it gets bigger what pruning will help with its growth? Top it or fim it? Or just let it go?
Thanks

o

Leave it alone :-)
Let it develop a nice full canopy. Are you sure that it is growing peppers....or are you seeing the flower buds form? Once the flowers are about to open, just pinch them off, and that'll keep the energy directed into producing foliage.

Josh

o

Agree. Once the flowers start to open just pinch em off. It helps throw energy into growing and less into flowering because flower takes a lot of energy. Are you using a window of lights?

o

Mine that survived the little frost we have had had some winter pods developing. But because it's winter and the foliage is sparse, I pinched em. There is now way they would have developed into anything much. Need to encourage more foliage at this point.

Kevin

o

Ok thank.yea floweres, I was pinching them off to early to realise that they were flowers.it is out side in a very large pot in my drive way.when you say A window of light as in a small amount of time getting light?
So I will wait till right before the flowers open to pull them off thanks.

o

You don't even have to wait for flowers. You can pinch the buds. Once you see it developing more foliage, I'd stop pinching. Bells are weak producers as it is. You'll want as many flowers it can muster.

Kevin

o

What Nex?

Now it needs lots of sunshine and warm weather to grow like crazy/

o

> "when you say A window of light as in a small amount of time getting light? "

Meant "a window OR light". Question answered - it is outside.

Be careful of leaving it sitting on a light-colored driveway that reflects light up onto the pot. Those black pots absorb a lot of heat. If the pot is larger, then that problem is smaller.

Good luck!
Dennis

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here