Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fusion_power

Hotter than Moruga?

fusion_power
12 years ago

Who has a pepper that they think will be hotter than Trinidad Scorpion Moruga? I've seen scattered messages that there are already some candidates lined up.

I'm growing Bhut Jolokia, Trinidad Scorpion, Trinidad Scorpion Moruga, Trinidad Douglah, and a few others.

Darrel Jones

Comments (42)

• jsschrstrcks
    12 years ago

I think that the messages you've seen scattered - which originated from Pepperjoe, are likely an attempt to generate attention for pepper joe.

It surely seems to have worked.

There is always a newer better, hotter, down the pipes... but really after a couple million scovilles, whose going to be able to tell the difference.

Also the "scientific" testing is a little iffy on the current morouga. The data points for it were all over the map... it had the lowest and highest data points of all super hots iirc.

• Edymnion
    12 years ago

It was also tested against the base Trinidad Scorpion and not the Butch T Trinidad Scorpion strain. IIRC, the Butch T weighs in at 1.3m vs. the Moruga's 1.2m.

The 7-pot Douglah came in second hottest in the testing but had a *FAR* narrower set of datapoints (aka, it was far more reliably hot).

Basically, I think the fuss over the Moruga is exaggerated. Yes, its very hot, but I don't think its really stable enough yet to be hailed as the next great king of peppers.

• Oystereater
    12 years ago

Ya know, I love me some hot peppers, but I really wish people would start concentrating on developing the flavor of super hots just a little more than trying to oust each other as "hottest ever".

If it has the heat but not the flavor you'd enjoy it a lot more rubbing it on your bosses toilet paper instead of eating it.

• biscgolf
    12 years ago

there has been talk since last fall of a breeder in rock hill sc with a pepper that is going to be the new hottest. he runs a company called puckerbutt sauces.

i believe pepperjoe's postings about the moruga's time on top being short lived and somewhat suspect the guy in rock hill to be who he is talking about simply due to the fact that they are not too far apart geographically.

imo the douglah is the hottest pepper i have encountered, moruga or no moruga.

• Edymnion
    12 years ago

Oystereater, superhots have flavor other than "Soul Scarring Pain"? Thats news to me. =P

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Edymnion:

Once you get past Habanero, heat is king. IMO cuz I can't even taste a Habanero underneath the pain. I harvested two to three hundred Bhut pods last year off three plants. How many did I eat? A slice of one the size of a pea....Did it taste good? Damned if I know but the quart of milk was the best quart of milk I ever had.
    Bruce

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Ah, man, Bruce, you've got to try the Bhut in different ways....
    dried and powdered, then added to hashbrowns or a bowl of ramen noodle soup.
    There is much flavor to be had, and I would swear to you that the Bhut has
    a flavor that is distinct from the other Nagas (Dorset, Morich) that I grew.

Josh

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Josh, I have a whole shaker of Bhut powder. I just cannot get myself to risk a whole meal by putting any on my food. I will make a resolution to start trying to add a "touch" to some of my foods in the future.
    Bruce

• tsheets
    12 years ago

Bruce, I think a good place to start would be setting the closed shaker next to your plate. Then, the next day, maybe loosen the cap. :-)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Bruce

• mbellot
    12 years ago

Bruce, if you want to experience the flavor without as much heat (of any pepper) I heartily recommend you look up the recipe for "Atomic Buffalo Turds".

In a nutshell, you core (or halve) the peppers, fill with cream cheese, wrap with bacon and then smoke for 45-90 minutes. Turns habaneros into candy. :)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Candy ehhhhhh. Someone once told me of a way to make dog crap taste like Hershey Kisses. I didn't fall for that one either.

No, Seriously mbellot, I may give that a try except I dont have a smoker. My kid is in a welding program and i already told him what his first project is going to be. I will be keeping your recipe for the right time....I would love to be able to tell everyone I ate an entire Bhut.
    Bruce

• tsheets
    12 years ago

If you have a grill, you can put some wood chips in a foil packet, poke holes in the packet, and put it down near the burners or hot coals. They also make little boxes for that, but, foil packets work just fine. I have made the Atomic Buffalo Turds that way rather than fire up the actual smoker.

• darkstar22
    12 years ago

I pickled some of my Bhuts, and they are edible. Hot...Yes! but not as hot as when they are fresh. Plus the pickling gives a nice flavor

• tsheets
    12 years ago

Oh, and just thought I'd add that when I made them, it was with plain old (though, hotter than average) jalapenos - not bhuts! LOL Oh, and I had some left over pulled pork that I had recently smoked, so I mixed that in the cream cheese. They were awesome!

• Oystereater
    12 years ago

Edymnion, I have no problems with habs, and can tolerate an occasional bhut straight, but what I was referring to was the ability to use a pepper to flavor other foods, and actually gain a pleasant taste in addition to the burn. The Moruga (to me) has kind of a fruity taste, and is a great pepper make into a sauce or add to BBQ. The douglah I tried almost just seemed bland other than the face-melting heat.

• Edymnion
    12 years ago

Yeah, I can't taste anything beneath the heat in a superhot. Only so many signals my brain can process at once, and when 99.9% of them are screaming "WE'RE GOING TO DIE!!!", something as subtle as fruity undertones to flavor tend to get lost in the signal to noise ration. ;)

• Oystereater
    12 years ago

That has to be one the funniest ways to put it I've ever heard, as well as being truthful! I'm not sure what gets twisted inside my brain to actually make me crave such a morose self inflicted torture, but I love that pepper flavor.
    My better half insists I need to make an appointment with a psychologist and find out what ELSE is scrambled inside my head, cause somethings gotta be off in order for anyone to want to eat them!

• ottawapepper
    12 years ago

Jsschrstrcks and Edymnion,

Re. the TS Moruga, based on my entirely subjective experience with a number of super hots last year, I agree it's a bit all over the map heat wise. I've had some that would have trouble clocking in to Hab heat and others that were killers.

Again, purely subjective but, I found the 7 Pot Douglah (from the Hindi word doogala which means "mixed")was consistently insanely hot. I can't imagine anything could beat it. I'll be growing it again this year as well as the ButchT. If I survive tasting them I'll report back LOL.

In reality, I think this whole world hottest thing is funny. On any given day, samples from this batch of A will be hotter than this batch of B. On another day it'll be D. I guess I'm fortunate in that I can distinguish slight flavour variations between varieties amongst the pain. When all is said and done, they're all bloody hot. The primary reason for finding the next super hot has become a race for bragging rights and ability to make some good dough selling seed for a year or two.

JMHO
    Bill

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Pretty much how I see the super hots. But then if a guy is simply a recreational hot pepper grower, it seems logical to want to grow the "hottest". 1 in 100 of the growers can or even intend to actually consume them. I have to say I am still in the 99.
    Bruce

• ottawapepper
    12 years ago

Well, truth be told, I'm more like you Bruce.

I am not the kind of person who enjoys chomping on whole super hot pods. I do enjoy heat and flavour but, in moderation. I believe that if your are going to use an ingredient in your cooking / condiment arsenal then you should at least taste it by itself so you know how to use it. When I sample super hots it's just small slivers. About the hottest I enjoy chomping on fall in the 50K and under SHU range but I enjoy cooking up dishes and making powders and rubs with all varieties (including the super hots).

Bill

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Yep, I have a spice jar full of Bhut Powder. It is still almost full. Just a dab will do ya.
    Bruce

• ottawapepper
    12 years ago

LMAO Bruce... "Just a dab will do ya"

I think we are both 50's/60's children. Brylcreem...

Bryl-creem, a little dab'll do ya, Bryl-creem, you'll look so debonair. Bryl-creem, the gals will all pursue ya...

Yes, a little super hot dab'll do ya ;-))

• thenewmidwestchilehead
    12 years ago

Despite what Jim Duffy and Pepper Joe might say, I am going to grow the next greatest hottest pepper in the world. Its a crazy hybrid, and I am looking for a catchy name for it. The working title just doesn't roll off the tongue to well:

Trinidad7-PotMorugaBlendBrainStrainInfinityNagaViperScorpionButchTJolokiaDouglah.

• jsschrstrcks
    12 years ago

is that the one from China that tastes like licorice?

• fusion_power
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No, I think its the one from Reykjavik that needs sulfur fumes to reach maximum heat. You can just call it Doug Tipsinbhut for short.

:D

DarJones

• Edymnion
    12 years ago

I'm looking forwards to my own frankenpepper. Grafting a bhut, a Butch T, and a Douglah into one super-pepper. I've heard about grafting altering DNA, and there will be cross-pollination a plenty with three peppers in one plant. God only knows what kind of mutant monsters this thing could produce.

I'm far too lazy to spend the next 5-10 years creating a true strain out of anything though. Well, I could see how I could be talked into doing it, but it wouldn't be for trying to make the world's hottest.

I could see trying to make a black superhot though.

• Armageddon
    12 years ago

i grew well over 1000 bhuts last year with great turn out they do have a great flavor for cooking as long as you don't overdue it im looking to get my hands on some true Butch T and some Moruga strain for this year i already have hundreds of bhuts going some are over 2 ft tall and all wild looking i grow a little with hydro style and also in dirt will be moving some plants outside here real soon .i also have some seed from last year i can share also few dried pods if anyone is needing or wanting some just drop me a email at pepperhead@letitflowcreations.com
    if anyone has some of the Butch T or Moruga blend seeds left over i would love to get a few i have some bubblegum already ordered in gonna give them a shot this year also along with the chocolate bhut have tons of garden space would also like to find some the pepadews just to try them out .

• azhollister
    12 years ago

I use my seasoning on just about everything. I only put 1 Bhut in it along with about 40 habaneras, 20 jalapenos and about 20 other herbs and spices. I always mix it just for the heat.

I too, would love to grow the "hottest pepper" in my garden. If I truly want the hottest, I will just put a drop or 2 of the 3 A.M. reserve Capsaicin extract or the extreme 6A.M. which is 16 million SHU.

I would have to say that putting the seasoning on popcorn is my favorite! Steak with the close second!

• Armageddon
    12 years ago

forgot to mention i am new to the pepper scene i got my first set of bhut seeds real late last year i bought a few hundred at first in June then a lot more but i was still able to make some magic harvesting in well over a couple thousand peppers some o my plants was a good ft tall and real real bushy this year just took a fast count of my plants all larger at 220 plants thats not counting my 6 trays getting ready to be all put in pots and the other few trays that havnt even sprouted yet. I am already way ahead of the game and also working on a lot of other exotic & rares including bonsai trees i am not sure how to put photos here but i would love to show you all some of my collection 1 of my 6x6 areas looks like a total jungle ...LOL im soon i will be buying another 6 or so lights atm im running already running 7 just here alone i am sure DTE Energy is loving me .

• tsheets
    12 years ago

To post pictures, upload to the web somewhere (ex. photobucket) and use the HTML code they provide. Copy that code, and paste it in your message where you want the pic to show up. It will show up in the preview, if it doesn't show correctly, something went wrong. Just try to resize it to a reasonable width so it doesn't make the page 10 miles wide. :-) Oh, and I'd probably start it in a new thread.

Sounds like you have a heck of a setup!

• ottawapepper
    12 years ago

Armageddon, check your email.

• ottawapepper
    12 years ago

azhollister,

Interesting article you posted in your previous thread

As I mentioned earlier in this post, I've had mixed results with the TS Moruga. If the NMSU CPI is evaluating it then my previous experience must be an exception.

Funny, I sourced my TS Moruga seed from Neil at The Hippy Seed Co. He's the same guy involved in getting the Butch T the current record. It kind of lends credibility to the position that some of hold... on any given day, one batch of one variety will all the others as top dog.

• fusion_power
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have 15 plants of T.S. Moruga which are in the greenhouse soaking up the heat. These are from seed cmpman1974 sent. I have about 100 more superhot peppers growing and plan on putting at least 50 of them into my garden.

DarJones

• fusion_power
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I made it into the garden with:
    6 - Trinidad Scorpion Moruga
    4 - Bhut Jolokia
    1 - Trinidad Douglah
    4 - Trinidad Scorpion
    a mixed bag of other superhots that are not separately labeled.

The Trinidad Scorpion Moruga's have about 30 peppers set already. The largest is about the size of a quarter.

The weather is very favorable for the peppers this year.

DarJones

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

And how many will you eat?
    Bruce

• fusion_power
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bruce, I probably will eat none of them. I grow them for seed to send to Sandhill Preservation. If the weather keeps cooperating, the seed crop is going to be fantastic. My tomatoes are already producing the most abundant crop I've seen in 10 years. I have several bell pepper varieties that are loaded to the point of breaking the plants.

I have about 450 tomato plants in the ground, about 50 bell pepper plants, and about 60 super hots. They are scattered in my yard and in my garden to avoid crossing.

DarJones

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Sounds like you are a busy man. Glad the season is going so well for you. Good luck with the rest of the growing season.
    Bruce

• fusion_power
    Original Author
    11 years ago

just thought I would post this youtube video for folks to debate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvogCn7Or6o

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

I will wait for the scientific testing.

• ottawapepper
    11 years ago

I'm with Edymnion (I'm pretty sure he means proper scientific testing as well).

I stumbled across a blog posting earlier this year where the writer cited comments from Jim Duffy of Refining Fire Chiles and the grower of the HP22B, Ed. Link below.

Personally, agree with a lot of Jim Duffy's comments. I became very leery of this "new" hottest mystery pepper when the hype machine kicked in. It's interesting that the promoter of this new wonder pepper does not want to put out the coin to have Guinness officially certify the claims. Heck if it was me I'd want to get the certification so I could hype the crap out of it and easily double my investment.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Pepper Seed blog

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

Yup, when an independent body grows out a couple dozen plants and takes a couple hundred samples and tests them all to get a good take on the both the average scoville rating and the range of those ratings, then I will consider looking at it.

Until then, single peppers can be made much hotter than they really are if you know how (the article Ottawa linked mentions this), and that means individual results from the creator are worthless, as they can too easily be faked or just plain flukes.

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative General Contractors