Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hillseeker

Bhut Uses?

hillseeker
11 years ago

There may be a better forum for this post and if so, please direct me. In the fall I threw 3 bhuts & 3 chocolate bhuts into an old bottle of tequila I had around. Took it out last weekend. The color is strange, peppers are white/clear, aroma amazing. I made strawberry margaritas. They were delicious but if you drank too quickly it became pretty painful. I rarely drink and one glass was more than enough!

I've used them in hot sauces, Jams/Jellies, BBq sauces, marinades, rubs, seasoning salts, oils and pickles. I have hotter peppers growing and want to experiment with them too. Any ideas? I absolutely love this the last 4 years and want to see if I'm good enough to sell.

Any other fun but legal things you do with bhuts?

Comments (14)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

I would think one bhut per bottle of liquor would be enough for most folks. Between the bite of the bhut combined with the alcohol, it should be pretty stout. Neat idea.
    Bruce

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

My favorite....Bhut powder mixed into the mayo for a spicy BLT.....precisely what I'm about to have for breakfast.

Josh

• Jeff_H
    11 years ago

I think you have most of the popular Bhut uses covered but here are a couple: Concentrated purree. Stored in small canning jars.

If you are man enough: Bhut poppers :-) I found a recipe for bacon wrapped fatalii poppers and plan on trying that when I have fresh fataliis later this summer. Bhuts would elevate to a whole new level.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Hey, Josh, I didn't realize that you used Super hots all that much but your idea of mixing it with Mayo really intrigues me. Now, I don't think I would be able to handle Bhut powder in my Mayo but maybe some Habanero or something down in that heat range. Maybe even some cayenne mixed a little heavier.

I am wondering how much I would mix into say a cup of mayo. Any ideas on how much Orange Hab powder in a cup of Mayo for a wimp. Just enough to get a little heat and spice things up a bit??? I ran out of my cold canned Hot Hungarian Wax peppers and am really missing the zing on my Turkey sandwiches. Maybe the Pepper Mayo trick will get through until mid summer when I get some fresh peppers.
    Bruce

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

> "I threw 3 bhuts & 3 chocolate bhuts..."

> "I have hotter peppers growing"

uhh ... What ?!?
    You can give the out as Halloween "treats" (actually tricks). Not entirely sure about the legality of that though.

Or distill them down to capsaicin goop for entertainment and personal protection.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    11 years ago

Bruce: I do the same thing to mayo AND ranch dressing. For a wimp in a cup of mayo?? Maybe 1-4... try making a small batch 1st with just one and go from there.

Here's another one that takes a bit more time, but is great using fresh Jalapenos and serranos-- a couple peppers, some onion, and garlic(all minced), saute in oil for a few mins., let cool a bit and whip into mayo or ranch. Great on a sandwich or salad.

Kevin

This post was edited by woohooman on Wed, Feb 20, 13 at 18:35

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

woohooman: I like the pepper, onion, garlic, oil idea. But do you have to worry about it getting too runny after mixing it with the Mayo???
    Bruce

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    11 years ago

Bruce:

Not really. It will definitely be runnier than mayo. Just don't use too much oil and don't sweat the onions with salt which would release a lot of water. You can add salt and pepper, if you like, AFTER the saute. Actually, you could always slap it back in the fridge and it'd probably thicken back up to mayo consistency. I don't like waiting though.

Kevin

This post was edited by woohooman on Wed, Feb 20, 13 at 22:08

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Kevin:
    I may try something like that this summer. But I would like to mix a bunch up and combine it with a whole jar of Mayo so I don't have to keep making it every time. Of course, I would experiment with smaller amounts to start with.
    Bruce

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Bruce, the spicy BLT is a staple around here! :-)

I spread the mayo on the bread, then I lightly dust the surface of the mayo. Steady hand...don't want too much. I then spread the mayo and powder to even it out. I have a pic, I'm sure...

Ah, yes, here we go. Notice the faint flecks in the mayo? That's about how much powder I use.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

OK, Josh, so you just spread a touch of powder into the mayo. Good idea. I am going to have to pursue this idea in one way or another...but with less hot peppers. BLT-MMMMMMMM!
    Bruce

• hillseeker
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That sounds delicious. I make some delicious bacon mayo that would be really good spicy. Never thought of that. Bhut Bacon Mayo BLT yummmm

• hillseeker
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I had to try the BLT last weekend and it was delicious. Thanks for the input!

• daisydawnny
    11 years ago

That mayo looks awesome. Not a Bhut, but I put a Naga in a mason jar of vodka and let it sit......burnt my tongue! I put a shot in my beer.......hubby made a bloody mary that was hotter than hell, he thanked me the next morning, lol. Pretty sure this stuff is way hotter than the atomic vodka on the market. Gonna take a jar to our local club and make some new enemies, lol.

Sponsored