Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
usda zone, heat zone, sunset zone

Posted by seysonn 7b WA/HZ 1 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 22, 14 at 4:49

USDA zone, HEAT zone, SUNSET zone

WHAT ARE THEY AND HOW SHOWING THEM IN OUR PROFILE CAN BE USEFUL ?

USDA zone
Most of us are familiar with USDA zone numbers and we have included it in our user profile. For example my USDA zone is 7b. I used to live and garden in GA, where also my USDA zone number was 7b. You would think that by moving to WA, nothing has changed in my gardening situation !! NOT so . When it comes to SUMMER gardening thoss numbers have NO or very little meaning and relevance.

HEAT zone.
This zoning system, developed by AHS, divides USA map into 12 HEAT zones (1 to 12) What do those numbers mean?
The answer: They are based on the number of the days that Highs reach and exceed 86F. For example , N.Seattle WA area (USDA 7b) is in HEAT zone 1 and N.Atl, GA(USDA 7b) is in HEAT zone 7 . In Heat Zone 1 RARELY(1 or 2 days in a year) summer high goes higher than 86F, whereas in Heat Zone 7 , there will be 60 to 90 days where highs will reach and exceed 86F.
So this is very meaningful when it comes to summer gardening.
So, I THINK, if we want to communicate effectively here , in posting our gardening questions and seeking advice, we should state WHAT our HEAT zone number is, in addition to the USDA number, plus our location, as I have done it in my profile.
To find your HEAT ZONE number you can go to TEXAS INTERACTIVE . I am going to give you the link. And also see the HEAT ZONE map here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heat Zone

This post was edited by seysonn on Sat, Feb 22, 14 at 4:59

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: usda zone, heat zone, sunset zone

I live five miles east of Webberville Texas, which was known as "Hell's Half Acre," in the 19th century.
So, HELL would be Zone 13, and I don't see it on the map...

o

Interesting I see there are 4 heat zones in my state. Im in heat zone 1, I don't have to go far for that to change. I can see how it can make a big difference
Thank you for the link Seysonn its something Ill use for future reference. Ive been growing hots for 25 years always in the same aria . Surrounded by water keeps me 10 degrees cooler then just 10 miles up the road. Good place to get a most excellent fruit set. Ive seen it 100 in Phily . and stay in the high 80s here, Very useful information

o

You are most welcome. Dave. In my State, there are also 2 or 3 heat zones. Like, your area , by the PNW part of WA, the bodies of waters keep temperatures within a short range around the year and around the 24 hours. Righ now our Hi-Lo difference is about 10F.

Tom, To find your exact HEAT zone number, go to the link shown on my original post, type in your zip cod.
The HEAT zone number does NOT say HOW hot it gets but FOR HOW many days the highs stays exceed 85F

o

For Canadian members, see link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant Hardiness Zones of Canada

o

Interesting Observation:

I was just looking at CALIFORNIA Heat Zone map/numbers. There are 11 Heat zones from 1 to 11.
Example: San Diego (by the water) is in Heat Zone 1. Escondido, just about 20 miles away, is in Heat Zone 7. Vista 12 miles away is in Heat Zone 2
So there are a lot of such micro climates that HEAT ZONE numbers can identify them .

o

This is good information. Thank you for posting this!

o

Yep Seysonn. San Diego County is loaded with microclimates.

I'm probably in the Escondido range -- about the same distance from the coast, but about 20-30 miles south of Escondido. Generally, the daytime temps are about the same throughout the year. Vista is probably the best. it's just cool enough for cool weather crops and just warm enough for warm, but not too hot to worry about fruit set in the Summer. Many a nursery up in North County. Some even supply to the big box stores.

Kevin

o

hmm, this gives me zone 9 instead of 8b. I sort of suspected..

o

Hi sproutingLexi

The two ( USDA zone number and HEAT zone number) are different and they are both valid in their place. So your USDA zone number 8b and HEAT zone number 9 are both correct. My USDA zon is 7b but my HEAT zone number is "1", a lonely number: P

o

I live within a mile of the border between zone 9 and zone 10. on the zone 10 side. meh.

o

HEAT ZONE = # OF DAYS/YR 86F AND HIGHER
__________ ___________________________
1 === 0-2
2 === 1-7
3 === 8- 14
4=== 15- 30
5=== 31 - 45
6 === 46 - 60
7 === 61 - 90
8 === 91 - 120
9 === 121 - 150
10 === 151 - 180
11 === 181 - 210

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here