Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Saving Pepper Seeds

Posted by obrionusa 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 26, 11 at 6:34

I'm thinking of starting to save my seeds versus buying them. I'm having to buy them from several different vendors and shipping is getting the best of me. So help would be appriciated. My garden is at my workplace in the country so my question is this. If I plant one variety at my home each year and save the seeds would the seeds be true to name without isolating them? I know neighbors on each side of me do not have gardens. Behind me is a golf course so Im good there. Actually I dont really think any neighbors close to me garden and if they did I suspect it would be maybe a couple tomato plants. I work out of town so isolation is not an option.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Saving Pepper Seeds

sounds like you should be ok.

o

"sounds like you should be ok."

...as long as your peppers are not hybrids to begin with, as saved seed from them(F2)may not grow true even when plants are isolated. Otherwise go for it.

o

The peppers are cascabella, serrano, sante fe grande, jalepono m, ancho, and anaheim. Are these Hybrids?

o

If your seeds are from a commercial source, it should state if they are hybrids on the packet. I don't think what you have are, although there are hybrid versions of Jals and Anchos. I didn't mean to worry you, just wanted you to know what to expect if you grow out seeds saved from hybrids if you weren't already aware.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here