Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gertrude1_gw

Saving Seeds from Heirloom Peppers

Gertrude1
10 years ago

I am concerned about saving seeds from heirloom peppers. I've read that if you want to save seeds you must plant only one type of pepper per 50 feet. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks,

Comments (7)

• technochimp89
    10 years ago

Gertrude,

I'm still fairly new to this, but I was reading a thread the other day about bagging the plants. I believe the goal is to keep one type of pepper from cross pollinating with another. It's an interesting read and sounds like it's a similar situation.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/pepper/msg0114081510921.html?18

• kentishman
    10 years ago

I think 50 feet between varieties will give you an almost 100% probability of producing seeds that are true to type. I believe I have read that for commercial seed production the separation distance is even greater. However, for a hobby gardener with a small area available, you will probably produce seeds that are true to type even though the plants are quite close. In my small garden the plants are spaced about 2 feet apart, and the saved seeds are usually true. That said, I did have problems with a couple of varieties in 2012. Last year they did not grow true, and I've gone back to seeds from 2010, which should be fine. Some growers sleeve flowers in fine mesh bags to prevent cross-pollination by insects. Although there is a possibility of wind-borne cross-pollination, it's probably unlikely. What you choose to do will depend on how imperative it is that you get seeds that are true.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

With nylon/tulle net , there is no need for distance. The stuff lets air, rain, sunlight in keeping the bees out, for as long as you want. Once a few fruits are formed, you'll then tag them and remove the nylon netting.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

The purists will say you need a 1/4 mile or more between species to ensure purity. Bees will commonly travel that far between pollen sources. That isn't realistic for most hobby growers. Bagging as mentioned above is a great alternative to ensure purity. However, openly growing two different species side by side still seems pretty safe with the plants self pollinating almost exclusively. I have been growing and collecting seed for 4 years now and have yet to discover that I had produced a cross. I have done the bagging method on a very limited basis but I have used a lot of open pollinated seed and have yet to get a cross. Sometimes, the idea of the possibility of a cross and what traits it might have is welcome.
    It keeps things interesting.
    Bruce

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Even with the bees activity, self pollination has a higher chance than cross pollination. The reasons: Probably the flower was self pollinated before the bees get there. And two, the bees are more likely to pollinated the flower with its own pollins (by fanning) than the ones possibly transported by the bees.

JMO

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

Posted by seysonn 7b WA/HZ 1 (My Page) on Thu, Feb 6, 14 at 2:10
    With nylon/tulle net , there is no need for distance. The stuff lets air, rain, sunlight in keeping the bees out, for as long as you want. Once a few fruits are formed, you'll then tag them and remove the nylon netting.

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

I plant mine 18" apart and bag the blooms with various sized bags of organza. You can buy any size you want on Amazon. I like the 6" x 9" the best, but I also use a lot of the 4" x 6".
    Pam

Sponsored