Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Top of Refrigerator

Posted by CanadianLori 6a Oakville (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 19, 14 at 7:48

I keep seeing references to putting seedling/germination trays on top of the refrigerator and just now realized what this is about.

In case there are any other newbies out there like myself - this advice is for those of you who don't have fridges that vent their heat out of the bottom and instead have a warm top.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Top of Refrigerator

I never used this method but heard a lot about it. I use the DVR, and since its in an enclosed area of the entertainment center I use the shelf above, it does have ventaliation though its enclosed. I also used the floor heat vents and just placed them right next to the vent and got them to sprout that way. Once I can afford to add heat mats I will get some, maybe in the next year or two. Thanks for sharing the info.

Mark

o

Refrigerated to has been used by many as long as I can remember. I have used it in the past myself. It works . Have to put the tray all the way to the back.

o

That is really curious. The top of my fridge has zero heat - at the front at the back - the whole surface.

There is heat coming from the vent at the bottom front - not a good place to set a tray - might step on the seedlings while accessing the ice maker!

o

Lori, ... the heat come up from the condensing coil , normally located on the back side. Otherwise the top itself is well insulated. That is why I mention that the tray should be pushed way back".

This post was edited by seysonn on Wed, Feb 19, 14 at 10:00

o

I think what is happening is that a fan draws the heat down over the coils and pumps it out the bottom. I got out a step stool and put my hand right to the back and still no heat. There is a cupboard above the fridge so if any heat were present, I would think it would build up there.

Mine is a Kitchenaid Superba -think I'll dig out the manual to see why I don't get a bonus germinator!

o

Lori, i didn't see any mention of using a thermometer to test.

Maybe try leaving one on the top / back of your fridge for a few minutes, you might find a good 6f to 10f temp difference. If so then it should be enough to sprout seeds.

Good luck either way though,

Steve

o

Most new reefers are designed for zero clearence (No Coils) in the rear and venting thru the toe kick .....Energy Code.........

o

Exactly....this advice comes from the older generation of 'fridges that were warm on top. I'm sure there are still some out there, but many new models are cool. However, heat does rise, so putting seeds atop the 'fridge isn't a bad place to put them.

Josh

o

Tray just sitting in front of west facing window, don't have a south one or a germinating reefer so this will have to do.

o

Wow. Nice start there. Looking good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here