Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canadianlori

Top of Refrigerator

CanadianLori
10 years ago

I keep seeing references to putting seedling/germination trays on top of the refrigerator and just now realized what this is about.

In case there are any other newbies out there like myself - this advice is for those of you who don't have fridges that vent their heat out of the bottom and instead have a warm top.

Comments (14)

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

I never used this method but heard a lot about it. I use the DVR, and since its in an enclosed area of the entertainment center I use the shelf above, it does have ventaliation though its enclosed. I also used the floor heat vents and just placed them right next to the vent and got them to sprout that way. Once I can afford to add heat mats I will get some, maybe in the next year or two. Thanks for sharing the info.

Mark

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Refrigerated to has been used by many as long as I can remember. I have used it in the past myself. It works . Have to put the tray all the way to the back.

• CanadianLori
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That is really curious. The top of my fridge has zero heat - at the front at the back - the whole surface.

There is heat coming from the vent at the bottom front - not a good place to set a tray - might step on the seedlings while accessing the ice maker!

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Lori, ... the heat come up from the condensing coil , normally located on the back side. Otherwise the top itself is well insulated. That is why I mention that the tray should be pushed way back".

This post was edited by seysonn on Wed, Feb 19, 14 at 10:00

• CanadianLori
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think what is happening is that a fan draws the heat down over the coils and pumps it out the bottom. I got out a step stool and put my hand right to the back and still no heat. There is a cupboard above the fridge so if any heat were present, I would think it would build up there.

Mine is a Kitchenaid Superba -think I'll dig out the manual to see why I don't get a bonus germinator!

• sjetski
    10 years ago

Lori, i didn't see any mention of using a thermometer to test.

Maybe try leaving one on the top / back of your fridge for a few minutes, you might find a good 6f to 10f temp difference. If so then it should be enough to sprout seeds.

Good luck either way though,

Steve

• abnorm
    10 years ago

Most new reefers are designed for zero clearence (No Coils) in the rear and venting thru the toe kick .....Energy Code.........

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Exactly....this advice comes from the older generation of 'fridges that were warm on top. I'm sure there are still some out there, but many new models are cool. However, heat does rise, so putting seeds atop the 'fridge isn't a bad place to put them.

Josh

• CanadianLori
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tray just sitting in front of west facing window, don't have a south one or a germinating reefer so this will have to do.

• obchili
    10 years ago

Wow. Nice start there. Looking good.

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

*bump*

• willardb3
    9 years ago

All refrigerators have condenser (warm) coils or they wouldn't work. Some have coils in the kick space and reject heat there, some have coils at the rear and reject heat there, some have coils on top and reject heat there.

The only constant is that they all reject heat somewhere.

• User
    9 years ago

I have a zero clearance fridge, no condenser coils at the rear.

All you people who can germinate in the house are lucky. I have a couple of cats that get into everything. No matter where I try to germinate, they find the tray.

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

I have a couple of cats that get into everything.

>>>Grow something for Them!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!