Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bunky2001

wanted: tiny pepper

bunky
11 years ago

I've been looking all over for the tiny (1inch) pepper that restaurants (here in
Ohio, Steak and Shake) have on their tables pickled. They call them Amazon
peppers, but that entails many varieties and I simply can't find the ones this small. They are a yellow/lt. green color. If anyone knows what they're called or
has some seeds, please let me know. Thanks.

Comments (21)

• tn_gardening
    11 years ago

I think they use Tabasco peppers in those sauces:

http://amazonpepper.com/types-of-peppers.htm

• gardendrivenlife
    11 years ago

I've been after the same thing. I'll be growing Guerito, that I got in the seed exchange. I'm in the St. Louis, Mo. area and that's what we have also.

• leafericson
    11 years ago

It is a cross between cayenne peppers and a local variety called pipon. It is an accidental hybrid called the "Amazona" discovered by Giorgio Araujo.

Eric

• TheMasterGardener1
    11 years ago

There are a bunch of types.

This post was edited by TheMasterGardener1 on Sun, Feb 3, 13 at 10:39

• leafericson
    11 years ago

Aji Amazona seeds are only available to the "Amazon Pepper Company" as far as I know.
    If anyone gets some seeds let me know mabe they can be stabilized.

Eric

• bunky
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sooo....what you are all saying is basically there is no such seed available to us and we need to find something close to it as possible? I've checked a lot of sites and there are no yellow or light green peppers "bullet" shaped that are 1 inch or
    so long. If anyone ever sees something like this that is mildly hot let me know!
    I've had the Bolivian Rainbow Pepper (REALLY hot) but they're just not the same.

Oh, Leaf....I couldn't find the Aji Amazona seeds. Could you send me a link?
    Thanks.

• leafericson
    11 years ago

All the info is there on their website. Looks to me like a business was started based just on this hybrid.

Eric

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.amazonpepper.com/readers.htm

• tn_gardening
    11 years ago

yes, their site does say something about a hybrid pepper, pip�n, in their sauce. However, that Steak n Shake pepper/vinegar stuff looks a lot like Tabasco peppers (which are also mentioned on the Amazon pepper website)

http://amazonpepper.com/types-of-peppers.htm

• tn_gardening
    11 years ago

I know that Texas Pete has a similar product and they do use Tabasco peppers. Same for Trappeys hot peppers n vinegar.

http://www.texaspete.com/pepper-sauce.html

• smokemaster_2007
    11 years ago

I have Guarrito Pepper seeds from Mexico.
    The pods are Yellow when they pickle them,red when ripe.
    You can see there is a lot of pod variation ,at least in small pots.Outside they were more like the ones in the pictures that are pickled.
    VERY productive plant.

They also use Cascabella Peppers.

http://www.texastitos.com/titos_peppers.php

They might be the same thing or related...

Here is a link that might be useful: Guarrito Pepper

This post was edited by smokemaster_2007 on Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 20:14

• leafericson
    11 years ago

tn_gardening, I think you might be right there. The key word is "sauce" they never talked about the hybrid pickled.
    bunky, I would go with tabasco peppers they do look just like them to me. There is probably nothing special about their pickled peppers: just vinegar and water very easy to make.

Eric

• leafericson
    11 years ago

Here is a video of some guys eating the pickled peppers; just posting it so everyone can see what the pepper looks like. Looks like Tabasco to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THPr8wxsDeI

• ottawapepper
    11 years ago

Smoke, I suspect very few people could refer to a type of or name a pepper you don't have in your seed collection ;-) I'd never be ever be able to put the effort into maintaining and growing the 1,000's of types you do.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    11 years ago

Isn't the Midwest really big on SPORT peppers?

Kevin

• smokemaster_2007
    11 years ago

My problem is lately that Mites screwed me big time for a couple seasons and some of the stuff I'd like to freshen up the seeds from didn't put out pods or had very few seeds.
    My gardening space got cut down drastically too.
    No more 800 plants a year.
    BUT I've been having success growing a few plants indoors under my LEDS that instead of getting OP seeds I'm getting isolated stuff.
    My current problem is too many of my seeds are getting over 3-5 yrs old and germination is getting lower each year.

I hope the super hot insanity stops so the seed vendors will once again start selling a ton of varieties once again.
    Just a few years ago a lot of vendors were selling a LOT more varieties than now.
    Too many replaced stuff with the so called NEW strains of super hots and super hot crosses.
    Also a lot of the super hots are so crossed up it's insane to even think you know what any seed will grow.

People forgot about the taste of a Chilhaucle Negro or Cascabel among others.

Nothing wrong with heat but a lot of stuff that was common before is getting hard to find these days.

Ya,maintaining my collection,fresh seeds, is getting harder every year.

• teyo
    11 years ago

Both of the varieties you mentioned are available from the seed vendor i buy from (semillas de la palma). Personally, i grow some superhots for fun, will have two plants per variety, and i'll have a ton of edible varieties for serious eating and conserving. I try to choose those based on how aromatic they are, but one can't deny that some superhots have beautiful aroma too.

• ottawapepper
    11 years ago

THANKS Smokemaster.

I have very limited space to grow this season and had to knock 40+ varieties off my gotta grow 2013 list, one of them Chilhaucle Negro.

Now I gotta find space for one more ;-)

• wjp4140
    11 years ago

Try Cross Country Nursery, pepper Angkor Sunrise. That looks like what you want. Though they only sell plants, not seeds.

• pretty.gurl
    11 years ago

@ smokemaster

I totally agree with you about the super hot craze. What are you going to make with those and who is going to eat it? You are going to feed super hots to kids? The whole fad is only a race to see who can out do another.

• bunky
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I like the look of the Angkor Sunrise pepper.I haven't had good luck with annual
    plants coming through the mail, so I'll try to find someone who has seeds.
    Thanks for all your help!.

• smokemaster_2007
    11 years ago

I think I got my Angkor Sunrise from Rainbow Chile Seeds.

Here is a link that might be useful: YUP,I did