Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jutsfl

Bug ID...

jutsFL
10 years ago

I have found at least 10-20 of these on my plants now that are on the patio. Anyone have a clue as to what it is? I've seen them a few times here in FL, just never payed much attention to them until they became fond of my peppers.

Comments (11)

• StupidHotPeppers
    10 years ago

Those are box elders. They suck sap and other things from leaves but don't really damage plants too bad. I wouldn't worry too much but I probably would try n get rid of them.
    -nick

• User
    10 years ago

What MorugaMan said.

Had a heck of an infestation in the area a couple of years ago. They never bothered my peppers.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

In the spring time (depending on where you are) They come out of hibernation and enjoys the sunshine to get warm.

Some people call them "stink bug ?" and harmful but as Ottawa said I have not seen them to cause any damage.

• jutsFL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sounds good, thanks guys. I'll just let them hang out for now.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Agree with above. I have them around all the time and have for decades. I wish they were predatory.

Kevin

• StupidHotPeppers
    10 years ago

Jutsfl- just curious what type of pepper plant those are in the pictures

• abnorm
    10 years ago

I don't KNOW about box elders?......This is Florida

What we do have is a problem with the Leaf-footed Stink Bug.....Juts, your photo looks like the later nymph stages

For control I use a dustbuster and an artist's brush to collect them

doug

• jutsFL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

MorugaMan- it's a Carolina Reaper (that's at least what the seeds were sold as, suppose we'll see in a few months)

Doug- I like the DustBuster plan, might have to try that out if they get too thick!

Jay

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

abnorm: There are countless species of insects, but last year when I saw a particular bug and I needed it i.D.'ed, the bug folks in the garden clinic forum described it as a leaf-footed nymph. It looked nothing like the above. And, I posted a pic of the same bug above and they said it was box elder.

I'm far from an entymologist though.

Here's a general rule though but not ALWAYS, like most rules --- if nymphs tend to congregate in bunches, bad. if they are loners, good or neutral.

Kevin

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

That looks similar but not quite the same as the box elder bugs up here. You will see them if you have Box Elder trees in the area. You mostly see them up north here in the fall when it starts getting cold out. They will cover houses with south and west exposures. But I have never seen, nor heard of them damaging any plants or foliage. I also beleive they are a northern insect and probably do not inhabit Florida.
    Here is a picture of a Box Elder Bug Nymph on the left and adult on the right. The adult is the one we normally see.
    Bruce

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

That looks similar but not quite the same as the box elder bugs up here. You will see them if you have Box Elder trees in the area. You mostly see them up north here in the fall when it starts getting cold out. They will cover houses with south and west exposures. But I have never seen, nor heard of them damaging any plants or foliage. I also beleive they are a northern insect and probably do not inhabit Florida.
    Here is a picture of a Box Elder Bug Nymph on the left and adult on the right. The adult is the one we normally see.
    Bruce

{{!gwi}}

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!