Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New New Pods Falling Off

Posted by salevene none (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 19, 14 at 8:33

Hi All,

I'm not sure if this is normal, but what I thought was my healthiest plant, seems to be losing new pods (some right after the flower drops off and it has a mini-pod showing).

I noticed that one fell off, so I was looking at another one and when I barely touched it, it fell off... it was as if it was hanging by a thread so to speak.

Is this normal? It gets 5-6 hours a day of quality sun, I only water it every 3-4 days, the leaves look healthy and its got about 40 or so pods on the way...

Here are some pics (the one that fell off, I couldn't get to focus, but its much greener in real life than it looks in the pic)

photo B9D67948-E6F3-4180-8B51-7E96A22C1CBA.jpg

photo 53798766-4E23-431A-9B88-0E8613556360.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New New Pods Falling Off

Probably it is over fertilized. The color of the foliage seen in the picture is some indication but not conclusive. HOW OFTEN DO YOU FERTILIZE IT AND HOW MUCH ?

o

I've never used fertilizer, that is the natural soil straight from the earth....

o

In fact, now that I investigate it more, some of the newest (smallest) leaves are lighter in color and some are brownish... some have started to fall off as well.

Could it be getting too much water? I have only been watering it every 3-4 days. In fact, the last time I watered it, I gave it a lot of water, but it still didn't go all the way to the bottom... I usually see that as a sign of the plant needing water. Or should I have added enough so that it goes all the way through the soil and out the bottom?

photo 3DFAE2FE-4F9E-4860-8655-67AD088024FA.jpg

o

Flower drop probable causes:

1. Day temp too high >95F
2. Night temp too low <65F or too high >85F
3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer
4. Too much water
5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).
6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)
7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).
8. Lack of pollinating insects.
9. Size of pot
10. Too much mineral in feedwater.
11. Too much grower attention/anxiety.

o

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 19, 14 at 10:34

I think you might be experiencing a common condition that usually occurs when temps get excessively hot outside. It might also occur if your plant just isn't ready to start growing fruit. It is called blossom drop. I am guessing you are in Australia or somewhere that has hot weather at this time of year.
Here is picture below one of my plants from a couple years ago. The plant went on to produce literally HUNDREDS of nice ripe pods but also went through a period where it was dropping blooms like snow flakes.

o

I was told not to fertilize during bloom but I could be wrong. I would start watering maybe every 6 days or just wait for your leaves to droop. It's better to strain them of water than to casually feed them every so often. Maybe you need some more nutrients being that you used dirt and no type of potting soil. Could be the reason they fall off because they don't have the strength. Idk I'm just giving you some ideas. I'm not an expert but i have little ideas.
-Nick

o

Thanks all for the advice. I'm in Medellin, Colombia and we've had our summer over the past few months... tons of sunny days, but temps never really crossing 80 degrees. At night, it may cross 60, but probably not that often. In any event, it never gets super cold.

The only thing I can think of is maybe too much, water... I'll hold back to every 5-7 days, instead of 3-4.

The thing that really worries me now is that the leaves are starting to brown and drop... could that be from the same reason? This is all so strange, because nothing has really changed since it started blooming, from a weather perspective. Its rained in the past week a few times, but nothing too aggressive... and its still getting sun.

I'll hold off on fertilizer and see how things progress, but I'm hoping that its the same issue esox07 had (though there is no excessive heat down here). Esox07 - when you had that problem, did you see the same thing happen to some of the newer leaves (they are falling off my plant as well)?

o

Wed, Feb 19, 14 at 13:48

No, I didn't have the leaf problems but the blossom drop problem could be from other stress factors as well. If the plant is being stressed, it can drop the blossoms so it doesnt have to use energy to grow the fruit. Over watering can cause the browning of the leaves ironically enough and that could be the true source of your problems. If you are unsure if they are too wet, and easy test is to poke a stick like a wooden dowel or small wood stick into the ground at the base of the plant. Stick it in 6 or more inches and pull it out. If if comes out with soil particles stuck to it, the soil is plenty wet. If it comes out clean, then it is dry. With peppers, I have found that it is usually better to err on the side of dry.

o

If you used DIRT and not a soil mix for containers, that's a big no-no for container planting. My guess would be excessive moisture. Is there any way you can remove that drip dish?

Like others have mentioned, underwatering is much better than over. And yes, when you do water, you want the water to flow out the bottom for awhile. You need to leech the salts out. Also, containers are notorious for leeching out nutrients, so a dose of weak ferts might help also. I'd also try to get it more sun than 4 hours -- the more, the better as long as temps don't stay 95F+.

Plain old dirt gets way too compacted and holds a lot of water... 2 things pepper plants don't like.

Kevin

o

"natural soil straight from the earth" should not be in pots.
As was said, should have filled container with soil-free potting mix.

With the addition of leaf drop, roots may be failing.

o

Thanks again for all the advice.

Ok, I was able to remove the drip dish and there was actually a little water in there, so I'm guessing this problem stems from overwatering/excessive moisture. I'll hold out on watering to only once week.

The roots started coming through the bottom of the container... not sure if that is a good sign, neutral sign or negative sign? In any event, hoping removing the drop dish helps it breath a bit more.

The soil from the ground is here is really really fertile... my question is why would it grow so big and healthy all these months if the soil were the problem?

Also, should I start adding a light amount of fertilizer now or wait a few days/weeks?

o

Peppers are rather deep rooted, so those stragglers coming out shouldn't be a problem. Just try to keep them from sitting on hot concrete et al.

"The soil from the ground is here is really really fertile... my question is why would it grow so big and healthy all these months if the soil were the problem? "

You're right. The plant does look healthy, but you're losing excess pods. Nobod's saying that nobody has ever had a healthy plant in a container with DIRT. But it usually causes more problems than it's worth.

The reason some think it may be the soil is because you haven't overfertilized and the weather seems to be not in issue. Are you losing lots of blooms/pods, but there are still may on the plant developing? Some varieties do have a tendency to lose a lot but still put out plenty of healthy, fully developed pods.

Let the plant tell you when to water. When you see the plant wilting a tad, water it. As far as ferts, maybe a 1/4-1/2 dose of All-purpose soluble every 2 weeks or so.

Kevin

o

I don't think that the soil is a problem. The plant's health mirrors the condition of soil. Even without fertilizing, it is very fertile and appears to be very rich in Nitrogen (nice dark green foliage). That was the reason for my impression the first time that it is over fertilized.

seysonn

o

• Posted by salevene Medellin, Colombia (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 21, 14 at 16:46

Thanks all for the advice.

Seysonn - I tend to agree with you and hoping its just a case of too much water.

Kevin - I was able to remove the drop dish and the stragglers won't be touching the ground. Its interesting because, since I started this thread, I've only lost one more pod, but the growth of the plant does seem to have been halted. It was growing like a maniac, then this problem started and now it seems to have stopped dead in its tracks.

Some of the original pods are starting to blossom/flower, so I'll monitor them to see if they survive or fall off (though haven't seen any new ones since this all started). At the same time, it doesn't seem like I'm losing anymore leaves, just the ones that seemed to have died when I first noticed this problem (and its only the new foilage, the old leaves are still super healthy).

On the flip side, the weirdest part of all this is that the dropped pods/dying leaves are only at the top of the plant. The branches come out the side of the main stem seem to be really healthy (see pic).

In terms of fertilizers, I found these and was wondering which one I should use and when you think I should start? (Its in Spanish, sorry)

I want to say thanks again for all this advice, I really hope I can show better pictures in a month or so!

photo 7D0FCBBB-FCA4-4AE6-95FB-7A8402D87855.jpg

photo 68D9BFC2-EBB6-4297-87BF-C27D08800351.jpg

photo 8E95F8CB-C8F7-4545-B81A-098342A3B4E3.jpg

photo 0C3A92F1-3E9D-45FB-BC63-12B6E1F2F641.jpg

Steve

o

The plant actually looks extremely healthy. Give us some numbers for each nutrient off each package.

Hold off on fertilizing until you do.

As far as growth, don't worry about that as long as the blooms are staying and producing pods. Peppers grow in stages -- foliage, flowers, pods, harvest. Then a growth spurt with more of each. And so on. In your climate and location to the equator, I would imagine that your plants could just go on and on and on.

It's us folks OUTSIDE of the tropics that have to manipulate mother nature when it comes to peppers.

Kevin

P.S. I just noticed the 15-15-15 on the 1st one. I wouldn't use one of those more than say once per season. Slightly high in Nitrogen.

Kevin

o

In terms of the ferts, here is what I bought:

1. Yup, the Blue one is Nitrogen, Phosphorous Potassium, 15-15-15

2. Nitrogen (1.1%), Phosphorus (3.0%), Potassium (0.3%), Calcium (0.9%), Organic Carbon (3.6%), pH 6.2, Maximum Mositure (8.5), Moisture Retention (44.8%), Cation Exchange Capacity (11.4 mEq/100g), Enterobacteria (60x10E2 UF C/g), Salmonellosis (Ausencia / 25g)

3. He said this one was fertilizer that contains some of the less dominant elements (i.e. no nitrogen, etc.)

Calcium (5%), Magnesium (3.2%), Sulphur (1.4%), Iron (2.5%), Organic Carbon (5.4%), Moisture (7%), Enterobacteria (60x10E2 UF C/g), Salmonellosis (Ausencia / 25g)

o

Directions for use --- do you drop them in so much water and let dissolve or what? or do you treat the like a fertilizer spike and set one in your container? A little more info please.

if dissolved how much water for each tablet?

Kevin

o

I wouldn't fertilize it, especially when it is flowering. Plust that plant looked well nutritioned.

o

Kevin/seysonn - The guy said I can dissolve in water or put in like fish sticks. For a container my size, it would be like 4 pellets of each.

I may hold off on the fertilizing for now... I lost a few more pods, but there are some where the flowers have dropped, but I haven't lost the pod (yet)!

o

I wouldn't use the 1st one at this point. It looks very healthy.

You mentioned 4-5 of sun. If daytime temps don't get over 95F, get it out in the sun more. Most veggies want 6 hours direct sun minimum and the more the better. This will also allow for the soil (dirt tends to hold onto moisture more than a soil-less mix)to dry out more.

You may want to use maybe 1 pellet each of the bottom 2. Very low in NPK( which won't HURT the plant, but also contains the MICRO nutrients your soil may be lacking. particularly Ca and Mg(very important for fruit set) and Sulfur(which peppers love).

Blossom drop is a very common thing. Some varieties lose more than others. But, a truly healthy plant that isn't being stressed by temps, over/under fertilizing or watering regimen will still put out fruit to full maturity.

Keep us updated.

You could always get a lab soil test(not a home test) done of the earth you used. One thing to keep in mind though is that containers lose nutrients out the drain holes. So, the original dirt may have higher values(especially N) than what your container CURRENTLY has. N is an easy one to diagnose though -- too little and the plant will generally pale. Overwatering can cause this also. Yours doesn't look pale to me at all.

Keep us updated.

good luck

Kevin

o

Kevin - ok, maybe I'll try one pellet of each of the bottom two, because I just checked the plant and yup, I'm still losing pods (about 3 more dropped today). The pods drop typically right after the flower has naturally dropped... they seem to stay healthy until this point. Unfortunately the best I can do is 6 hours sun/day.

I'll keep you posted in a week or two or if anything dramatically changes in the next few days.

Thank you for the advice!

o

As for watering, don't water on a schedule at all. Let the plant tell you when it needs water.

Dennis

o

what DMF said. Let it semi-wilt, water thoroughly and so on.

Is that a plastic container? If so, drill a few more holes in the bottom or at the bottom in the sides.

Kevin

o

Ok, I'll definitely wait on the watering until it shows signs of asking for it.

Yup, its a plastic container, but tt has good drainage.. there are already 8 or 9 good sized holes at the bottom.

I gave it one pellet of each of those fertilizers yesterday so I'll update you guys in a week or two.

o

I'm leaning towards woohooman's

"Plain old dirt gets way too compacted and holds a lot of water"

Also jean001a's "roots may be failing"

If there is a way to grab the stock of the plant and turn upside down so the plant comes out of the pot, do that and see what color the roots are.

o

Hey all, its still dropping pods and all of the small, newer leaves but today I noticed it dropped a nice healthy-looking leaf (see pic). I touched a bunch of others and they all seem strong, so hoping this is just a one-off.

Its been well over a week since I watered it and it seems really dry, even at the bottom where the holes are its super dry. What are signs of when I should water it?

thepodpiper - i'm afraid to pull that thing out, but I can tell you that the color of the roots that came through the holes at the bottom are whitish/tanish (not sure if they are dried out).

The one good thing I can say is that where the leaves have dried out/fallen off, it still seems like there are new pods trying to grow (see pic).

I'll send better pics tomorrow morning, but any advice is much appreciated.

photo C6D6862D-FA52-472D-954E-C54D5626FC32.jpg

photo CDC9045C-F0E0-4024-B413-B9BCEEB013D2.jpg

photo 47857D95-2267-43DC-A9F4-EA9257CB89F8.jpg

photo 136F4173-5EBE-47CA-8165-2B4C08BA37C7.jpg

o

Stick your hand down about 6 inches. Any moisture?

One think that may help the roots in that dense soil is to fluff it up every few days to get some air to the roots.

No pod development whatsoever??? Are ALL flowers/pods falling? No pods are FULLY forming?.

Kevin

o

I tried to get as deep as possible and it was pretty dry.. when I was digging into the soil, I felt like I was disturbing some roots, will that have an effect?

Whats the best way to fluff up the soil?

No pod development at all, they just flower, drop the flower and then drop the pod. I'm losing some smaller, good leaves as well... they are starting to drop (none of the big ones, just the newer ones). Again, all of this is from where new growth was happening in the plant...

I gave it some water and it leaked right through to the bottom, seemed to have very good drainage.

Here are some better pictures:

photo 187A14AF-CB1F-495B-8D8B-E94843BA02D8.jpg

photo E386FD95-1DB8-43E5-983D-2E0A77B5CEEA.jpg

photo 04EE0929-4DC4-4F2B-A7BD-5E21E433107A.jpg

o

Ok. Then water thoroughly.

No. You didn't harm it. I wouldn't do it all the time though. Usually a finger a couple inches down will tell you.

I'm kind of bewildered. You should at least be getting SOME pods to set and develop.

Scroll up to willard3's post. Which one(s) of those do you think might be the problem? Have you checked the ph? Perhaps you should get a soil test done for that native soil --- As already mentioned, plain dirt isn't good for containers, but it's hard to argue with how healthy the plant LOOKS otherwise. Something's missing or there's too much of something...whether a mineral, water, light, etc.

Maybe somebody else more knowledgeable has something to offer.

Keep in mind that changes you've made recently need time to take effect.

How old is the plant and what variety?

Kevin

o

The only thing I can think of is 5 or 11, as it was getting 6 hours of sun a day for almost 2 months and the past 2 weeks we've had a bit of rain.

It will be tough to do a soil test.

Its about 3 months old (a bit slow to grow at the start, most of that growth is in the past month). I lost track when planting the seeds, but its either a: chocolate habanero, pumpkin habanero, datil or scotch bonnet.

Someone recommended I repot in better soil so I will do that tonight. I cant find all the good stuff like in the US, but I found one that should help with drainage (it has the rice skin, not sure how to say in english. In spanish its "cisco de arroz")

Wish me luck, we'll see how it goes!

Thanks for the all the advice.

This post was edited by salevene on Thu, Feb 27, 14 at 17:26

o

Well, maybe I am too impatient, but I bought the new soil and repotted it. Here are some pics and its new home (will update in a few days):

photo 7026ac07-1e2e-48a8-a2c6-801cfa2144dd.jpg

photo fc00235e-c6cb-4ff0-9b31-664fe08ba2e4.jpg

photo E8E3DC72-BD80-43BA-9E3E-F1D082B62507.jpg

photo 76368837-179D-4860-9E1E-BAACB21D3216.jpg

o

Atta boy! I was going to suggest the same. Now you need to be patient.

Never heard of rice skin potting mix. What kind of nutrients are in it?

90 days ain't too bad. A lot of the times, plants lose a lot of flowers in the beginning until it's finally "ready" to start setting pods. May have acted a bit too impatient, but at leat now we can rule out soil.

Cloudy doesn't mean a whole lot. Shade is a different story. You said 6 hours is all you can get it...is it going to get less or more in the coming months because of the tilt of the earth to the sun?

Kevin

o

holy crap, either that's quite a serious root system, or you rinsed your roots far more carefully than I do. seeing a root ball that size, I'd have opted for a larger pot. but that's just me.

if he's in columbia, he is right near the equator. 6 hours of sun there means something very different than it does in, say; canada. I live in FL, and for me 6 hrs of direct sun is almost too much.

o

Judo: It's not the brightness of the sun that leaves your plants withered, it's the heat. From the sounds of it, salavene lives in a pretty moderate climate of Colombia.

Kevin

o

Honestly, I've never heard of this kind of potting soil before either, but the other choice was fairly similar to the soil I could get from the ground... in short, this is probably much better for drainage. Not sure about the nutrients, just says "organic compost".

As Judo mentioned, we are close to the equator, so it will always be 6 hours per day. However, it receives indirect sunlight all morning and then direct sunlight from 12ish to 5:30. No shade.

Judo - I just tried to clean the roots as best as possible before re-potting. I shook out all the dirt.

o

Organic compost? It wasn't warm was it? It should work, but a lot of the times bagged compost still has some warmth to it. If so, give it a couple of good soaks to cool it some. aafter a couple weeks, you may want to add one each of those ferts you have.

Good luck.

Kevin

o

Nope, felt normal temperature. After re-potting I watered it thoroughly until it came through the bottom.

Ok i'll give it the lighter ferts in a few weeks. Maybe half dose of each.

Thanks for all the advice, I'll keep you posted!

o

Give it one of those NPK ones too. The compost might have some added nutrients, but compost is meant to be put in the ground and slowly break down to usable nutes. Try dissolving in water at half the recommended ratio and feed every other week. JMO

Kevin

o

So Thursday will be one week since the re-potting of the pepper. For the first few days, all seemed well. However, a few days ago I noticed stronger winds were putting some stress on the plant, I quickly brought it inside. We've been trying to do that when we can, but its just not feasible to watch the plant 24/7 and bring in whenever strong winds come. Well, it must have gotten hit with strong winds yesterday when I wasn't here and it started to have a slight lean.... the base actually feels a bit wobbly, not very sturdy. I've since tied the stem to make it upright again, but today I noticed the leaves aren't looking as healthy. They are starting to droop a bit, some are starting to curl inward as well. Overall, it still looks healthy, but these problems are starting.

It hasn't gotten a ton of sun in these days because its been raining, so I am hesitant to give more water...

How long does it typically take for roots to strengthen the plant in its new home? Should I give it some light ferts?

Any suggestions?

o

Nope. Be patient! it will take a good few weeks to stabilize. Remember, you basically performed surgery on it. Should bounce back soon. Did you ever consider planting it in the ground like your other plants?

Kevin

o

Yes, we've pondered the option, but space is an issue at this point... if absolutely necessary, we might be able to do it, but it would be tough.

I'll keep you all posted!

o

Hey Kevin,

The plant really seems to be on its way... its got good foilage everywhere (see pic) and a few of the pods from the original harvest survived and we have three that are growing nicely (see pic). I've even noticed the drainage is MUCH better since re-potting with the new soil... in the end, I think that was the main problem.

So its been two weeks since the repot and I was thinking about adding some ferts. The dosage calls for 4 pellets based on the size of my pot, but it seems like a half-dose would be best? I'll just break them in half and put them in different places around the pot. (the blues ones, NPK).

Thoughts?

photo 9D618515-42C6-4AD0-8115-D942633ED5B1.jpg

photo DA7C23FF-E7C9-4D48-AFCA-897614C75B2F.jpg

o

Good deal! In regards to the ferts, I think you mentioned that you can dissolve them in water. What's the package say?

Dissolving would allow more control over how much you're giving it..

Kevin

o

I have to double check when I get back home, but I believe they say to put the pellets around the perimeter of the pot. In any event, I don't see why I wouldnt be able to dissolve two and then water with that....

Should I drop in a 3rd pellet of the less common nutrients or maybe later on?

o

Let's see what the package says first. Last thing you want is to over-fertilize.

Kevin

o

Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 14:08

I dont like pellets or spikes for ferts. It concentrates the fertilizer and can burn the roots around them. I don't think they dissapate throughout the soil very well either. I would buy some good liquid fertilizer and use that with watering the plants. If you want to do "Fertilize it and forget it", then get a slow release granular fertilizer such as Osmocote.

Also, looking at your photos, in the one that shows the string around the stem, if you go up to the "V" just above it, it almost looks like a bunch of Aphids there. I would just double check to make sure that your plant isn't infested with Aphids.

Good luck,
Bruce

o

It just says use 4 pellets every 15 days for a pot my size. It says to put them around the perimeter... it doesn't say anything about dissolving in water, but I don't see why that would be a problem. I'll start with a half-dose so as not to overfertilize.

In regards to the Asphids, I don't know too much about them, and its tough to get good pics, but here are a few more:

photo 29E50459-D166-4D93-AA32-58198A4EE4B1.jpg

photo DF9153F9-19F2-4E20-A112-BD5F3A902D06.jpg

o

Bruce is right. An all purpose granular, soluble, fert would be best. But if you're going to use those things, I wouldn't use more that a 1/2 tablespoon per gallon of water for now.

Kevin

o

Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 13:04

salevene: I dont see any aphids in those pictures. But if you see tiny "things" on your plants in bunches and usually on the newer growth, they would be aphids. I think your are fine. Good luck.
Bruce

o

what Bruce said. you'll see them on the undersides of leaves and almost look like eggs. They'll move slowly if you nudge them.

Btw, change out that string to something much thicker. WHat you have there will cut right through that stalk.

Kevin

o

Thanks guys, I'll keep on the lookout for asphids. In the end, I just dissolved 2 of the pellets in a liter of water and used that. The recommended is 4 pellets, so I think half should be a good start. Also, will change that string as soon as possible.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Thanks a ton for all the advice, I really appreciate it!

o

Hey guys, so the plant as rebounded very nice! Its got a lot of new foilage and already starting to show signs of new pods on the way....

I'll keep you posted on how they do, but in the meantime, I had a question about the 3 pods that survived/never fell. They seem to not really be growing anymore or at a snails pace like I've never seen. One of them even seems to have lost its shiny-ness and has a dull complexion to it.

Is this normal? Have you ever heard of pods that stopped growing mid-way?

Thanks in advance

photo 6EC732B5-6AB2-4C00-BADE-7B60371C17C3.jpg

photo 871F2DD8-77C2-4E89-AED8-125A07E3AF85.jpg

o

What variety? Yes, they'll stop growing and then start to turn to a final color. Which for some varieties, takes a long a&& time.

However, they sheen to the pepper should remain for the most part. What you MAY have is pods that decided to stay but died... is the calyx and/or stem yellowing at all? If not, then leave them be.

Kevin

o

I got the plants mixed up after germination! Its either a Pumpkin Hab, Chocolate Hab, Scotch Bonnet or Datil. But based on other pictures I've seen around the web, I think its one of the habaneros (leaves very similar to the other pics).

Nope, don't see any yellowing anywhere. I guess I'll wait a week and see what happens. Will post updates.

Thanks for the advice.

o

Salavene: Thought it might be a had or bonnet. Seems relatively the right size, so I'd just let it go. And it will probably take well over a week or 4 before changing colors.

Kevin

o

Kevin - this is my first time growing these peppers, but they seem way too small to start maturing. It might be the pictures, but they are not very big.

In any event... I'll update in about a week.

o

They could very well be too small. Remember, these were "survivors" from the "less than ideal days" of UNHAPPY container medium. Now that you've changed out the soil, I'm pretty sure future pods will get larger.

Kevin

o

Hey everybody,

So the plant seems to be doing really well, tons of new foilage, some pods on the way, etc. However, over the past few days, it seems A LOT of the old leaves are turning yellow and dropping. I was just wondering if this was normal? Its none of the new foilage at all, just the old stuff.

Its been quite sunny this past week, but temps never pass 80ish degrees and the plant only receives around 5-6 hours sun/day.

Thanks in advance

o

Yeah, it's normal. Some leaves seem to want to last forever, but in the second year they just get too old and decrepit. You might want to judiciously encourage them to join their ancestors...

Dennis

o

Kevin and everyone else on this forum, thanks so much for all of your advice... I'm definitely learning a lot and hope to be able to contribute one of these days.

UPDATE: the plant has fully recovered, its got a lot of new pods on the way... they started dropping at first, but not anymore and we have about 15 healthy pods growing with plenty more behind it. I'll send through a picture when they start looking nice and colorful!!

o

Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 11:54

Glad to hear it. Thanks for updating the list.
Bruce

o

Yep. Glad to hear you finally reaping some rewards, Salavene.

Definitely keep us updated.

Kevin

o

• Posted by salevene Medellín, Colombia (My Page) on
    Tue, May 20, 14 at 9:43

You guys all rock, I can't thank you enough for your help. Here is a picture of the plant a few months after the repotting. I'm in full-harvest and all the pods are on the bring of maturing. I believe these are Scotch Bonnets, and I'll post another update once they've started to change colors...

photo photo21.jpg

photo photo3.jpg

photo photo11.jpg

o

Finally starting to have a nice harvest of these Scotch Bonnets! Thanks all for your help.

photo a59f9ee850871952e79215f6f17a5dc6.jpg

o

Good to hear salavene!

With your climate, you should be able to have yours going nonstop. After the next harvest, it may be a good time to get in even a bigger pot. Something to ponder.

Kevin

o

Thanks Kevin. I was going to ask about the next harvest. I think it was lacking some nutrients, so I fed it recently, but there are no newpods on the way. Any idea how long typically between harvests? Or are/were there no new pods because of a lack of nutrients?

I will look into a bigger pot and see if its possible...

o

Should be an continuous thing in your area. No NEW pods at all??

Plenty of flowers?

I still say you don't get them enough sun.

Kevin

o

Nope, nothing at all... Not even new flowers. You are probably right in that it doesn't get enough sun, but at least we know it can produce. I think I just need a string of good sunny days to get it going... That and maybe the fertilizer should help. Unfortunately, I won't be able to get it more sun... Best I can do.

In your experience, it should be producing new flowers/pods continually?

o

Sort of. It's still a cycle of "growth, blooms, fruit, harvest, then growth again," but when plants kick in, they'll have ripening pods while others are large, but green and others just forming. While more flowers are wide open, and some buds are young and still closed.

You should be able to harvest a few ripe pods at ANY time with more the next day, and more the next day, etc,. if you wanted. Most people just choose to make harvests in one fell swoop.

Kevin

This post was edited by woohooman on Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 0:35

o

Yea, thats really strange that there is no new growth with this plant; I'm going with the lack of nutrients theory. The good news is that overall the plant does seem relatively healthy and the current pods are maturing nicely (and are decent size).

I see what you are saying regarding the cycle, because the plant next to it has already started the growth cycle after its harvest and the same with one that we have planted outside (which is closer to what you were saying above in that it always as some flowers/peppers on it).

I added another smaller dose of fertilizer (when normally I would have waited one more watering), so we'll see what that does.

On a side note, these are Scotch Bonnets and I was expecting them to be wayyyy hotter. I think in terms of heat, the orange habs blow them away.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here