Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lorabell_gw

Oriental pepper varieties

lorabell_gw
11 years ago

I would like to grow several varieties of Asian type peppers from a few different counties.. I am looking for both Hot and Mild varieties . I am very unfamiliar with the names to even start a search on.

Soooo...

What are your favorite oriental peppers?

Comments (19)

• kuvaszlvr
    11 years ago

to name a few (all hot):
    Thai Dragon (but the hybrid not the heirloom - the heirloom, to me tastes nasty, plus it has a thick tough skin and all seeds)
    Kung Pao (it's also a hybrid but extremely prolific and wonderful peppers).
    Thai Hot Orange
    Chinese 5 color (AKA Chinese multi-color)
    Vietnamese Tear Jerker
    Pequin

Pam

• yukkuri_kame
    11 years ago

Shishito is a relatively small japanese pepper picked green with a mild spiciness and a fair degree of a green bell pepper taste.

It is somewhat similar in taste to some of the italian frying peppers, but has it's own unique flavor.

Japanese love their shishito, it is not so common to see any other hot peppers sold fresh in Japanese markets. Tempura shishito is delicious!

Eventually, I am interested in growing some of the korean red chiles, I don't know what they are called. I have a big shaker full of dried pepper, I love using it in cooking because it gives a brilliant red color, but doesn't dominate with heat. Nice smoky flavor.

• Bill_Missy
    11 years ago

I love the Korean Kochukaru. Kind of along the lines of a Cayenne pepper. It is the pepper used for all their foods. Kimchi, Bugolgi etc. I have tons of these seeds if you would like to try. Email me if interested.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

I am growing Thai peppers for the first time this year. I am growing the:
    Thai Hot
    Thai Dragon
    Thai Sun
    I don't know very much about any of them but just wanted to give them a shot this year. From what I understand, they are good for seasoning foods. I am considering drying them for powder or maybe try my hand at making a sauce.
    Bruce

• lorabell_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for your help.

Is there a mild Korean pepper out there?

Bill, I will be sending you an e-mail shortly.

• yukkuri_kame
    11 years ago

In my limited experience the korean peppers are quite mild on the scale of chilies.

In this moment, I'm eating eggs on top of leeks with rosemary and dried korean pepper flakes. I would never put this much cayenne on my eggs, never mind something like a bhut. Even my wife will eat the korean pepper, and she is a wimp.

• lorabell_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yukkuri,
    We speak the same language in foods as I'm eating eggs on top of my leeks as we speak. Haven't tried it with rosemary and pepper,,,but definitely a must next round.

I've also ordered those shishito peppers seeds..sound wonderful.

Any idea where I can find the korean pepper seeds, they sound perfect.
    Laura

• yukkuri_kame
    11 years ago

Ha, ha, ha!!! Too funny coincidence.

The eggs and leeks is a new thing for me, it just kinda occurred to me to try it one day a couple weeks ago.

Rosemary, well that goes in just about everything, because I have 2 rosemary bushes bigger than me.

Looks like Bill Missy has seeds for the koreans, as mentioned in this thread. Scroll up.

• lorabell_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

There are days I really wonder....blame it on age.

Bill, I sent an e-mail.

Laura

• Bill_Missy
    11 years ago

For the ones that want these seeds, send and email with your address to LAMEG@Cebridge.net. I can not reply for some reason with my other email.

I have received requests from:
    Laura and ThisMemberName.

Bill

• JKKCookingCanning
    9 years ago

Love this thread, I am trying to get a collection going myself.. I wont post what I have yet because I cannot spell some off the top of my head.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I am on the mild to some wild side.
    I am growing, cubanelle, gypsy, chilaca, shishito, HHW, Jalapeno, serrano, Fresno, Thai, Habanero, Lemon Drop, Chinese multi color, Manzano, and few other. I like most of my peppers mostly for fresh eating.

So I have a little more than just oriental

• JKKCookingCanning
    9 years ago

Of Oriental varieties I have the
    Thai Dragon
    NaiNari
    Chi-Chien
    And the Kung Pao

What is ya'lls favorite Oriental pepper?

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

I suggest the Thai Hot.
    For some reason, I have had a tough time growing several of the Thai varieties like Thai Hot, Thai Dragon and Thai Sun. They seem harder to get from seed to Summer than any other group I have grown before.
    Bruce

• JKKCookingCanning
    9 years ago

I planted 15 Thai Dragon seeds last year, only one plant sprouted and survived.
    They are rather tricky but very rewarding,

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

I'm going to have to check out some of these other (hot) peppers, I have to look at my seeds, Chef Paul (? forget username) sent me some a couple of years ago after the Thai peppers I got from Fedco turned out to be tiny birdseye peppers when I was looking for long. I'm not sure I have any seeds left, and I don't recall growing the Paper Lantern and others he sent - maybe 2012 was a bad pepper year? 2011 was great even with a lot of rain, 2013 too much rain in June and I didn't get any ripe peppers.

But wondering is shishito hot or not? My sister's FIL is Japanese, saw them this week and he promised me some shishito seeds, was describing frying them in oil and salting (to me sounds like what you do with Padrones, my Padrones didn't germinate this year). I know a small % of Padrones turn out hot but generally they're mild - are shishito the same?

I have to try Kung Pao b/c I love Kung Pao shrimp/chicken and can't get it spicy enough here in hills of NW CT.

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

Hey JKK I hope your Thai Dragon is the hybrid. I love the hybrid, it's flavorful and good heat. I think the non-hybrid Thai Dragon is one of the nastiest peppers I've ever had. They are full of seeds and tough, at least mine were. I think it's worth going the hybrid route... I think it's funny that there are 2 peppers with the same name. I love Kung Pao! Great pepper.
    Pam

• JKKCookingCanning
    9 years ago

It isn't a normal one anyway.. idk what they taste like, I cant eat hot stuff I enjoy growing them and making sauces, jellies and things.

But mine ended up planted super close to one of my Jalapeno and now all my Thai Dragons are thick like Jalapenos.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

ajsmama, Shishito is sweet pepper, with no heat at all. But great flavor. Good for grilling, pickling and just fresh eating when young and tender.

Sponsored