Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phantom2487

Cayenne pepper leaf troubleshooting.

Phantom2487
10 years ago

All,

While I've spent most of my time under the 'growing under lights' forum, I figured this one to be more of the 'hot pepper' like.

This plant is just about a month old and it's starting to act weird as far as leafs go it rolled one of the bigger ones over last night (basically did a 180).

I've never done any gardening with peppers before, nor under artificial lighting. Had the beginning of a fungus gnat issue but with information gathered throughout the net a 1" layer of sand should have 'fixed this' put the sand on 2 weeks ago.

Also I've been using melted snow to water them (room temp).

Comments (15)

• Phantom2487
    Original Author
    10 years ago

From another angle to see how really mad this thing is getting.

• User
    10 years ago

I've occasionally had the same thing happen.

If it's only one leaf on one plant and the plant is otherwise healthy, I wouldn't worry about too much.

If other leaves start to roll over get back to us and with more info like; potting medium, feeding regiment; what you're feeding; environmental conditions etc. etc.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

What Bill said. I notice it happens most with large fruited annums like Bells and Anaheims.. It's been awhile since I grew cayennes, so I can't recall.

Kevin

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

I've seen this happen, too, and it was never an issue...
    That sand, though, that could make things very difficult for the mix to dry.

Josh

• Phantom2487
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all, I find that most of the issues with these plants turns out to be a non-issue.

But as far as that sand goes, it's necessary to keep the fungus gnats at bay (they were BAD).

Thanks again, the leaf was topside up this morning (funny).

But on a side-note (and as an experiment) I hacked off the other leafs. Mostly because light is limited and this plant was competing with the habanero, which takes priority over this plant.

• User
    10 years ago

Phantom2487,

If fungus gnats are an issue I've found the simplest (non-chemical) solution is to put up some sticky strips. It works like fly paper. Here's what I use:

They really do work. I've pulled off strips that have had at least a hundred of the buggers stuck on them.

This post was edited by ottawapepper on Mon, Feb 17, 14 at 18:31

10 years ago

Didn't know yellow stickies controlled fungus gnats. If that's the case, then you can always take a yellow card, stick it in a clear ziploc, and then cover the ziploc with motor oil or tanglefoot.

Homemade version.

Kinda funny though-- I was wondering why I had a problem with them last year... the shelf under my shoplights is painted yellow.

Kevin

• Phantom2487
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@ ottawa

Since I had 'seedlings' I wanted to finish it for good. The stickies fix the symptom and not the cause. I don't care about the adult gnats as they are 'harmless'. But rather the larvae which ravage things for a couple weeks under the soil surface. Apparently the sand resolves 2 keys issues 1) Prevents larvae from getting to adulthood, and 2) prevents the adults from getting to the soil to lay more eggs. Thus I've destroyed the life-cycle. Now the only real issue is due-diligence to make sure I keep soil moisture correct.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Now that you have taken care of it, I think those big lower leaves were just telling you that the plant is thirsty. It was just a wilt due to the lack of water. My shishito plants lower leaves have talked to me many times just like that. lol

10 years ago

The fungus gnats are associated with a peat-based potting mix. Eliminate the peat and you will eliminate the gnats (almost always). Mosquito dunks are the most common solution, though, when folks don't want to change their mix.

The sand will interfere with aeration in the mix below it. I would highly discourage its use.

Josh

• Phantom2487
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@ seysonn This just happened within a few hours of me watering (with melted snow water at room temp). So I think water shortage isn't to blame. I'll try to remember to add more details in subsequent posts.

@ greenman28 I noticed that throughout my 'research' that the peat-based soils are notorious for these pests. That being said, I didn't know when I started that was the case, and afterwards I checked local stores and I had no other choice this time of year anyway. Good thing about the sand is it's easily removable, as far as changing the potting medium it's going to be difficult this time of year due to a limited variety available.

I've had no experience with the Mosquito dunks, but I really wanted to do this growing program without chemicals, and it looks like the dunks would violate that goal in a way. As far as determining the sand interfering with the soil life-cycle, how noticeable is it, and what symptom(s) would I see in the plants? Also noted on Amazon, that the one dunk I was looking at is '...deemed organic by the USEPA' -- that being said I really don't buy into everything the govt hacks have to say anyway.

But I'll entertain the thought of removing the sand and using dunk(s). My question now is it just added to the water pail and delivered via normal watering? (I suppose this is where I need advice now...)

• User
    10 years ago

Phantom2487,

The yellow stick tape is not an instant solution. Over time, it addresses the cause, adult gnats laying eggs. No adults, no larvae.

If you're looking for a quick and easy solution they are not what you're looking for.

Kevin,

I don't think it's really the yellow. I think it's just a sticky place to land above the plants. It could be pink with black polka dot tape but the bugs wouldn't show up on the black ;-)

This post was edited by ottawapepper on Tue, Feb 18, 14 at 21:04

10 years ago

Hey! Yes, just added to the water and poured through.
    I haven't used the dunks myself....but I don't use peat, either, and so I haven't had to deal with gnats (now, aphids, are another story!). As far as I've read, gnat larvae only pose a threat to the delicate roots of seedlings, and are more of a nuisance to mature plants (and growers).

I do hang those yellow sticky pads from my Hoyas, which seem to attract aphids. I agree with Ottawa that the sticky paper is a good practice. It's a passive system, constantly working for you in the background.

Josh

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

a mixture of hydrogen peroxide with the water when you water your plants will kill the eggs and larvae. It will just piss of the adults, but once you get through an entire generation of gnats, they are gone so you have to water them with the solution for a week or two at least. I have used it in the past with great success.
    Bruce

10 years ago

Bill: It might be that way for gnats, but I know it's definitely the yellow when it comes to whiteflies.

Actually, I MIGHT be willing to bet it's yellow for gnats also. Every year, my squash/zuke flowers(very yellow) are loaded with gnats.

Kevin

Sponsored