Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seysonn

Dying Indoor Pepper Plants Center

seysonn
10 years ago

Last count there are about 4 dying indoor plant threads.
I am very sorry. I wish I could find a way to help. But being a novice I cannot help.

But here, I dedicate this thread to all those currently dying indoor pepper plants and also ( may God forbid) the future dying plants.

I have had plants near death situation myself but then I got lucky. So I understand your problem and feelings.

seysonn

Comments (10)

• thebutcher
    10 years ago

Not much here, but here is one of my hot Peppers that I over wintered. "Charapita" The above photo is from Oct or Nov just in a porch window facing South West. I noticed it starting to (get messed up" lol So I Brought it down the basement where my T-5 Sits.

Anyway today is the current stage of the plant after I put it under the lights. It is now being surrounded by my new seedlings for this year.

I think it will rebound but I am still a novice as well. I also got about 5 other Hot Pepper plants that I over wintered being upstairs (Being in a condo it is hard to have a South Facing Window, so Southwest was the best I could do.)

Oh Yeah by the way I brought 3 Bell plants indoors but my Cat at all the leaves.

Great Thread Seysonn.

• seysonn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Mr. Beno, I am so glad that your plants/seedlings are doing just fine. Boy, I needed the good cheering news like this to take me thru the cold days and nights of winter until the spring arrives.

I have over wintered one pepper plant (Ornamental Sangria) It is also doing ok in the company of my seedlings. At one pint I though that it is not going to survive but it did. Now it is flowering.

• jean001a
    10 years ago

thebutcher,

Look up broad mites on peppers. Might be your problem.

Another thought tip -- Oh heck, call it a RULE -- never put a sick plant with healthy ones.

Said another way: Isolate affected plants until you determine the case of the problem.

When one combines affected plants with healthy ones, sometimes they all end up affected. And that's a very bad thing.

• thebutcher
    10 years ago

Thanks both. And I will look into it, I took a close up but still hard to tell. And I guess it is a good idea to seperate it from my new seedlings just to be safe.

Thanks Again

• jean001a
    10 years ago

Perhaps a large population of very small aphids on the undersides of the leaves.

Do those very small white flecks brush off?
    If so, they might be cast skins of aphids.

Check the undersides of the leaves.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Look like the cast skins of aphids, definitely....and the 'honey dew' on the leaves (unless that's a treatment of some sort). The distorted new growth has a classic pest look, too.

Josh

• technochimp89
    10 years ago

Let me know what you guys think; I've noticed that the stems on my jalepeno plants are turning brown. I've read different things from they just do that (lignification) to some sort of horrible fungus. I don't think it's fungus, but thinking maybe too much fertilizing if there is a problem. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like long vertical stripes down the stem. My ghost chilis look fine in comparison.

Jalepeno

Ghost Chili

• seysonn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Technochimp,
    Darkening of the stem and most often at the nodes is normal in a lot of peppers. It may also be affected by fertilizer and the light intensity. As long as the plant is healthy (whic I think your is) I wouldn't worry about it.

BTW: Now that you mentioned it, I checked and a lot of my seddlings have dark brownish stems.

JMO

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

They look wonderful. That coloration is completely normal; many varieties develop it, and it tends to correlate with good light.

Josh

• technochimp89
    10 years ago

Thank you guys for the info. I figured as much, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions