Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homefry319

Homefry's 2013 peppers log

homefry319
11 years ago

So been awhile since I've posted, been swamped this year.

how's everyone doing?

So heres the list for 2013 all of them are already started except a few seeds I'm waiting for.

Red Bhut Jolokia
Peach Bhut Jolokia
7 Pod Jonah
Doughahs
7pod Brian Strain Yellow
7pod Congo
TS Morouga Blend Red
Bahamian Goat Pepper
TS Chocolate
7pod jonah x butch T
7 Pod Primo
Monster Naga
Dorset Naga
Jamacian Hot Chocolate
TS Morouga Blend Yellow
King of the North
Mini Yellow Bells
Mini Red Bells
Ancho San Martin Hybrid
Jalapeno Grande
Marconi Reds
Golden Treasure
Alma Paprika
Golden Greek Pepperoncini
Trinadad Morovas
Big Sun Habanero
Thai Hot
Bull nose Bell
Sweet Chocolate
Georgia Flame
Quadrato Asti Giallo(Bell)
Cayenne
Kung Pao
Orange Bell

Alll of the "super hots/nuclear's" we're started back in January in the though I was still doing the market. But unfortunately we're not doing the market this year so Im pawning off a few of my extra staters at the local hydro store.

{{gwi:1145398}}

We still have a fairly large plot. I think I'm at 250ish peppers plants about 40 of them will be in pots though

Comments (9)

• TheMasterGardener1
    11 years ago

Hey Homefry. Glad to see you back. I cant wait for the season to start too!

Too bad no market this year, nice list still though!! Good idea on selling your starts.

That list of peppers your growing; Are all those going in ground or in pots? What is your choice fertilizer for all those?

• homefry319
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So I have some in both, pots will be at least 2 plants of each with some have 3-4 but the majority will be 2 there should be around 35-40 total in pots. The ones in the ground will vary from 5-25 plants most being around 10 of each.

For ferts we're currently using a Age Old Grow which is a 12-6-6 organic. I'll use that on them until prob mid-may/june depending on the size etc, then I'll switch to Age Old Bloom for the ones in the ground, for ones in the pots it will depend on what Soil Mix I end up going with.

I also use Age Old Kelp,Age Old Humic Acid and General Organics CaMag+ when needed.

A few of my friends work at the hydro shop so I tend try stuff out for them every once and awhile so my ferts will vary.

==Pots==
    Red Bhut Jolokia
    Peach Bhut Jolokia
    7 Pod Jonah
    Doughahs
    7pod Brian Strain Yellow
    7pod Congo
    TS Morouga Blend Red
    Bahamian Goat Pepper
    TS Chocolate
    7pod jonah x butch T
    7 Pod Primo
    Monster Naga
    Dorset Naga
    Jamacian Hot Chocolate
    TS Morouga Blend Yellow
    Trinadad Morovas
    Big Sun Habanero

==Ground==
    King of the North
    Mini Yellow Bells
    Mini Red Bells
    Ancho San Martin Hybrid
    Jalapeno Grande
    Marconi Reds
    Golden Treasure
    Alma Paprika
    Golden Greek Pepperoncini
    Trinadad Morovas
    Big Sun Habanero
    Bahamian Goat Pepper
    Thai Hot
    Bull nose Bell
    Sweet Chocolate
    Georgia Flame
    Quadrato Asti Giallo(Bell)
    Cayenne
    Kung Pao
    Orange Bell

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Homefry, I have a few of the Jalapeno Grande seeds going right now that you had sent to me last fall. Just a few days so no action yet.
    Bruce

• homefry319
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I started mine on saturday no action yet either, I didnt soak them in tea though

• TheMasterGardener1
    11 years ago

Thats cool you get to try new ferts out. I do have a 'hydro-organic' fertilizer called botanicare sounds a little like your line of ferts. I do use it here and there.

Also you say your not sure what soil mix for containers you will use. What have you used before and liked?

Do you use different sized containers or just all the same for all.

Anyway, those are some very nice varieties that I have never heard of before. Would like to see some of them growing when the season comes!

• homefry319
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Also you say your not sure what soil mix for containers you will use. What have you used before and liked?

Ive used multiple things over the years normally its just a good soil mix(pro-mix) with compost and extra perlite seems to do well. I'm thinking I may build my own mix this year and just try a few things out. The 5-1-1 is a nice mix but it doesn't work so well with organic ferts. But I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to use yet.

The seedlings are in pro-mix mycorrhizae
    Do you use different sized containers or just all the same for all.

I try to keep them all in 5 gallon nursery pots(which are actually like 3.9 gallons) But I also have a few other pots over the years that I use

• tsheets
    11 years ago

What are you going to do with all those peppers when it comes time to harvest? If you were expecting to sell them at market, it seems like that would be overwhelming! haha

• homefry319
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What are you going to do with all those peppers when it comes time to harvest? If you were expecting to sell them at market, it seems like that would be overwhelming! haha

Im only planting about 250 plants so Ill find use for them all :-) peppers can almost never go bad between pickling and drying for powders etc.

If we were doing market I'd have around 2500 plants, though some of the superhots that I started in Jan(ones in the pictures) I'll have extra plants as I have around 100ish now and will only plant about 30-40 of them, but I'll just sell/trade them to the local hydros store

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Organic fertilizer works fine with 5-1-1.

I use Fish Emulsion on my Giant Chain Fern in a half-barrel of 5-1-1, and the results have been fantastic.

The same limitations apply to 5-1-1 as any other container mix when using organics. Namely, maintaining proper moisture and temperature so that the "micro herd" is present in sufficient numbers to break down the nutrients and make them available to the plants. This involves selecting a container that is large enough to buffer moisture and temperature fluctuations.

The advice not to use organics in the 5-1-1 stems from two things primarily. First, the unreliability of micro-organisms, which can be mitigated with a larger volume of mix. And second, the fact that organic fertilizers and micro-organisms hasten the decomposition of the mix, ultimately leading to compaction. With single season plantings, this shouldn't be a consideration at all, really, since the bark is quite durable.

I prefer soluble fertilizer for reliable and immediate nutrition, as well as the prolonging of mix stability. It's not that organics don't work well in the 5-1-1, it's that soluble fertilizers simply work better in nearly all container environments, regardless of any particular mix.

Josh

Sponsored