Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brian6464

Seeding in 5-1-1

brian6464
10 years ago

I've read through a lot of the threads and have not yet come across the following:

1. Is it OK to seed in 5-1-1, or is it just to transplant after the first few sets of leaves. Seems like the pine bark might inhibit the seedlings upward movement??

2. Is the Sphagnum Peat referred to in the 5-1-1 the same as Sphagnum Peat Moss?? I have a large brick of this at home. Can I just substitute 1 part potting soil for the 1 part peat?

3. Most of the threads say to add lime. Is this liquid or granular and how much do I add? Let's assume my mix will be 5 gallons Pine Bark, 1 Gallon Perlite, 1 Gallon Peat/Potting Soil. Are we talking a cup of lime??

I'm a newbie so I appreciate any and all input.

Brian

Comments (9)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Yes, you can substitute 1 part potting mix for the peat - that's exactly what I do (I've never used straight peat moss, in fact).

I recommend that you screen your 5-1-1 so that the largest particles are removed. I typically use a 1/4 inch screen just to tighten up the seedstarting mix. When potting up the seedlings, I use the standard 5-1-1.

I prefer the fine powdered Dolomitic Lime. I think it incorporates better into the mix. You add 1 Tablespoon of Lime per Gallon of mix that you make.

Good luck!

Josh

• brian6464
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Josh. Exactly the input I was looking for.

One final question and not to split hairs, but do you use potting mix or potting soil? In my area, the potting soil is always a quite a bit heavier than the peat based potting mixes. I purchased a small bag or Burpee Seeding Starting mix which I assume will work fine?

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

When I first started using 5:1:1 I tried moving newly germinated seeds into it. I found that the bark chunks are just out of scale for the size of the plants at this point and there is danger of physical damage. The other concern I had was that a flat chunk of bark could form a "floor" under the seedling and affect root depth, at least temporarily. So I went back to potting soil Screening the fines should work as well. With 5:1:1, though, you may have to start feeding earlier.

I too had some peat at home. When crumbled it turned into dust and would have compacted terribly in a pot - besides having zero nutrient value. Like Josh I too use potting soil in the 5:1:1 in place of the peat, actually a little more than one part in seven: more like one in five.

Dennis

This post was edited by DMForcier on Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 12:33

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Personally, I wouldn't use any version of 5-1-1 for seedlings. I would wait for the final transplant into summer containers. Unless you are using very fine bark chunks, like 1/16 to 1/8 or something like that I think the chunks are way to big in comparison to a 2-6" plant. Using some small bark chunks is fine but a true 5-1-1 with up to 1/2" chunks is just too big in my opinion. I guess a guy could try it and see if he had a few extra seedlings to experiment with.
    Bruce

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I am with Bruce all the way. I think 5-1-1 is way too coarse for seedlings. I screen crushed pine bark(5) then mix it with MG potting mix(1) + perlite (1) + vermiculite(1)
    I bought a bag of Jiffy starter. Didn't like it at all. It is just peat/coconut coir. It was a waste of money.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

I had some successful seedlings in straight 5-1-1 last year, but I also used habjolokia's mix and I like it better for seedlings. Mainly for moisture retention and nutrients.

His recipe calls for 1/2 part MG Organic Choice potting MIX and 1/2 part MG Orchid Mix(the small stuff) with some added coarse perlite and a dab of bone meal.

I agree with Josh et al -- if using 5-1-1 for seedlings, one should probably screen it down.

Brian: Yes. Sphagnum is what you want. What you don't want is just PEAT. Btw, I don't care too much for the seed starting mixes(too much peat). Might be ok to mix it in some with a potting MIX and some perlite though.

Kevin

• brian6464
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the comments. I guess I've been probably overthinking things since I have always just used potting mix for seeding and then garden center loam for container/garden soil. All the 5-1-1 talk was making my head spin.

I'll be doing some seedlings this weekend in a mix of burpee seed starting mix, perlite, vermiculite and some fir bark fines (repti-bark). It is basically 1/4" particulate, but I'll screen it as well.

I'll also do some seeds the way I always have and compare the results. I certainly have enough seeds to fail on some.

In the past, I've had some really good yields on some plants and some poor results on others.

I'll be interested to see what happens this year once I transplant into a 5-1-1 type mix.

Thanks.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Not too much vermiculite. It's just so VERY water retentive.

JMO

Kevin

This post was edited by woohooman on Thu, Feb 13, 14 at 22:16

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

Yeah. The whole purpose of 5:1:1 is to cut down water retention... well, actually, to keep air available to the roots, which is nearly the same thing.

I don't use vermiculite at all.

Dennis

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County