Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esox07

GW New look

It is going to take some getting used to but this new updated format should work fine. It sure was a surprise when I logged on this morning. I thought my browser took me to the wrong web site at first.
Bruce

Comments (25)

• User
    11 years ago

LOL, same here Bruce, I too double checked what site I was on?

It would have been nice if they chose a non-white background, I find black type on a white screen akin to counting ants on a light bulb. I'll live though ;-)

Bill

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have to agree about the back ground. Black text on a tan (parchment paper) back ground would be good for the eyes. Since there isn't a whole lot of graphics on the site, the black on white is just as you say "akin to counting ants on a light bulb". Sometimes the letters on my monitor even seem to move.
    Bruce

• chilliwin
    11 years ago

I like this New Look, really I appreciate, thank you GW.

New container gardener,

Caelian

• Bill_Missy
    11 years ago

The White has to go. To hard on the eyes.

• ab2008
    11 years ago

Hah, yeah I went through closing and opening, restarting my computer and so on and so forth trying to figure out what was going on last night.

Eventually I came to my senses.

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    11 years ago

It took me by surprise too. The black and white don't bother me, but for some reason I don't like the blue bar... It isn't a very garden-y color. Small fry. I do like the new font. It is just that little bit easier to read.

• Dhelsdon
    11 years ago

Enjoying the refresh, I agree with the white being too hard on the eyes, a soft blue or green would be nice and match the current scheme.

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

Don't know what y'all are talking about with the black on white, as it was always black text on white background for me...

Only thing I don't like is the new layout for the main forum list. They changed that so I have to scroll down to find the old layout.

• noinwi
    11 years ago

I find it rather easy on the eyes(I also like the font), but I'm old and seem to need more light to see well these days. I don't know if you could customize the skin, but if it were possible that might help those of you that find the white harsh-looking.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

I'll get used to it, I suppose.

Has a cartoony, unprofessional feel...like something one would paint in a child's nursery.

Josh

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

I too LIKE basic black on white, and the Arial font is okay. I find it easier to read a serif font, though, like Courier (or whatever the Wall Street Journal is using these days).

It would be nice to introduce skins so that charcoal crayon on parchment is a actual possibility, but I'm sure that will come in time.

• nc_crn
    11 years ago

My retinas are burning...

• User
    11 years ago

It was always B&W for me too Edymnion.

Since they were revamping the design it would have been a great time to use an off-white background, you know for guys like me with midlife eyes ;-)

I wasn't complaining, just an observation. Hey, you still can't beat the price of admission!

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Geez, now I am looking over my shoulder. I haven't paid anything for admission.

Bruce

• leafericson
    11 years ago

What the H#((... I don't like this at all! Sorry garden web I already have eye issues. Now I have to turn down the brightness on my screen just to read this. Gardeners are subtle relaxed people; not hyped up facebook junkies. I'm here to relax...
    Well I guess I've got to put my sunglasses on and get used to it since after all it's still free to be here.

Eric

• Bill106
    11 years ago

Btw folks, for what its worth, I sent off a gentle request to the administrator(s) of the GardenWeb asking them to consider toning down the background. I also complimented them our informative site that we all enjoy. Happy growing fellow chili heads.

Bill

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

The new garden web to the eyes

• penguinsrock09
    11 years ago

I know change takes time to get used to but I personally love the new design. Sure the white background and black text is not the best combo but I find the site and posts much more easy to navigate.

Prior to this format I found it hard to browse the forum and determine which posts were new and whether or not people had replied to them. I find this look much cleaner as well and it gives it a more 'modern' browsing experience.

I seem to be one of the few, but i really like the changes.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

I do agree for the most part it's improved a lot and I like the features for the smart phones, as in uplaoding pics straight from the iPhone instead of going through other channels to post a pic.

Mark

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It would take two minutes and just a couple simple changes to the HTML code for this web site to change the back ground to a more subtle color. I imagine they are getting "suggestions" from other lists as well and maybe they will call their web master back in for an hour of overtime....very soon. They can keep the layout as it is.
    Bruce

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    11 years ago

I requested a more stringent search engine and to edit posts.

1 down, 1 to go.

Layout is fine imho.

• trickfox
    11 years ago

I like it, easy to read, looks less busy. As a designer myself, i understand the balance between functionality, features and aesthetics. this seems like a good balance, honestly I like it way better than the color combo previously used.

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

Yep. Google was a breath of fresh air with their clean, spare, functional design. I'm so glad to see that concept making its way around the net. I HATE HATE HATE low-contrast, busy schemes.

(I was a UI engineer for a while, btw, Not web pages specifically, but the concepts are the same.)

Dennis

• John A
    11 years ago

I agree that a little more color contrast would be good, but it's not a big deal. I also like the Arial font. My problem with it is too much wasted space for the background. They need less background and more room for text.
    John A

• sandysgardens
    11 years ago

The look surprised me at first too, but I like it.It's not busy, it's professional looking, and I don't think the coloring is harsh and my eyes aren't young either.

For nine years I've enjoyed this site; I am very grateful that a site like this exists and doesn't charge an arm and a leg for admission.

Sandy