Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are T.Scorpions Weak Plants?

Posted by Edymnion 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 7, 12 at 11:32

I obtained regular trinidad scorpion (non-butch t) seeds from someone here on the boards that I've tried a couple of test grows with up to my current larger scale planting, and I've had about the same results every time.

My first test plant a few months ago produced a small seedling that stunted and stopped with just the cotyledon leaves. Left it alone for several weeks, never got true leaves, ended up pulling it.

Planted more about two weeks ago, and have my first sprout from the new batch now. It too appears to be small and "less than vigorous", especially compared to the bhuts that sprouted after it and have already surpassed it. The rest show no signs of sprouting yet.

I don't plan on pulling this one, it'll either grow or it'll die on it's own, but it makes me have to ask. Are these known for being a weak strain, or did I just get unlucky with this batch of seeds?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are T.Scorpions Weak Plants?

• Posted by esox07 4a Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 7, 12 at 11:38

The only thing I can think of is a light problem. If you have been using artificial light, try putting it in a window that will give it some real sunlight.
Bruce

o

Nope, they've been in a sunny window. Same window I've grown an ornamental in all the way to fruiting that I test planted in October last year. Same window the bhuts are in and they seem perfectly happy.

o

i'm on my 4th year of growing scorpions and have found them to be pretty vigorous- my original plants came from CCN and i have isolated them and saved seed since...

o

Weakest plant I've ever grown...Yellow Trinidad Scorpion.
I'll give it one more chance this year, in a container, to see if I can coax some vitality out of it.
Very beautiful pod, fleshy and flavorful, with stinging mouth-slashing burn....
but the damned plant was pathetic.

Josh

o

Sat, Feb 11, 12 at 13:07

Josh:
Glad to see you posting. Haven't seen you on lately. I grew a few Butch T's This year and they were one of the first to pop up. So far so good.
Bruce

o
Weak plants

Hey, Bruce, thanks for the welcome.
I've been down for the count with Influenza and a secondary ear infection for two weeks.
I haven't been of use to anyone, really.

The Trinidad Scorpion was the first to pop up for me last year, too....and was the weakest
in-ground plant forever thereafter. This year, Chinenses are going in containers...the annuums,
et cetera, do much better in-ground, so I'll reserve the real estate for them.

Like Tobasco, the seedlings perform wonderfully...but the pod production just ain't there.
This'll be my last year giving Tobasco a try. I have seeds from Jaime, so I'm hoping that
this "new blood" will make a difference, too.

Josh

o

The weakest I've ever grown was a cayenne from Walmart... Got two small (2 inch) pods from it the entire season... it was right beside a orange hab that produced like crazy, and a jalapeno that produced around 10lbs of peppers... Its survived the winter, outside, uncovered, but I'm considering feeding it to my compost pile. I did collect the seeds from its first pod of the year.

o

Sat, Feb 11, 12 at 14:33

Jsschrstrcks: I would probably leave the WM cayenne alone if it survived winter on it's own. Maybe having a head start this year will make a difference. That is unless you need the space. However, I probably wouldn't be too committed to saving seed from that plant.

o

Bruce: I really don't need the space... I have a few acres. It just looks so sickly surrounded by the jalapeno and habanero.

Maybe I'll transplant it someplace where I don't have to see it on my way into the house :P

My first thought was surprise that it made it through the winter, and thinking it may have some higher tolerances for cold... But this is Florida, and it was a reallllly mild winter. Its also beneath a big oak tree (gets about 8hrs a day of sun) so the tree probably helped keep it alive.

In fact I have an empty 55 gallon water barrel just sitting around (2 of them)... Maybe I'll make a few planters out of them, and put the cayenne in that.

Ken

o

Peppers will survive as long as their roots don't freeze.
The entire top can freeze back to the ground, and the plant will resprout from viable roots.

Josh

o

I'm thinking I just got some poor quality seeds, as they just are not doing well at all. The one sprout I've had is still small and stunted while the bhuts right next to it (that sprouted after it) are putting out their first true leaves already. The rest of the seeds I planted never sprouted. I've planted the rest, moved them to a heated surface, but I'm not holding out much hope for them anymore.

I think I'll just put in an order for some Butch T's from hippieseedcompany.

o

Tue, Feb 14, 12 at 13:09

Edyminion: Might be the best bet to get some Butch T's this year. However, if your intent is to grow the "hottest" then you may want to check this out:

Bruce

Here is a link that might be useful: Trinidad Scorpion Moruga - The World's Hottest Chili Pepper

o

Yeah, I saw that earlier. If I really wanted the hottest though, I wouldn't go for the Moruga, I'd go for the chocolate 7-pod. The listing shows them having the hottest minimum, and their max is way up there as well.

But I like the shape of the regular scorpion, and at that point its so hot I don't the difference really matters anymore.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here