Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valdogw

Scotch Bonnet- why so small?

Valdo
10 years ago

Can someone tell me why this plant is so small, I see potted peppers grow huge- anyone?

I had this scotch bonnet in a small pot for most of its 10 months or so. Transferred it inside and out of the house depending on the weather (we had a lot of freezes and it killed my other 3 ground plants). It has yielded one small pepper.

Comments (50)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

The pic isn't clear enough to see what's going on.

My immediate impression is that the plant is way over-potted (thus, probably too much moisture in the root-zone). What is the potting medium? How is it being watered? And how have you been fertilizing?

Josh

• StupidHotPeppers
    10 years ago

You stressed it out and your soil looks water logged.
    -Nick

• Valdo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is yet another tragic picture.

Looking at other pictures I think all of you are right. It is water-logged and stressed. I plan to not water it for a bit and see where it goes.

I used Miracle Gro Organic Potting soil, watered it liberally because of the transplant. Funny it did not look too small in it previous pot but when I saw other scotch pictures the leaves were huge comparatively. Not using fertilizer just yet.

Advice on remedying?

This post was edited by Valdo on Wed, Feb 19, 14 at 13:44

10 years ago

I would down-size the pot, perhaps to a 2-gallon, then transfer the plant once it recovers and is ready for its final home. If you're going to use that MG stuff (junk, in my opinion), cut it at least 50/50 with rinsed Perlite, or something coarse like Pumice, so the roots will have oxygen available.

Do you mean you haven't fertilized at all? Ever? That'll stunt a plant for sure. Obviously the plant is seriously lacking Nitrogen....but that could be from the soggy soil and impaired root-function rather than an actual Nitrogen deficiency in the mix.

Josh

10 years ago

Regarding the new pic: elevate the bottom of the container so that the pot is not sitting directly in the saucer. A lot of folks use wine corks or blocks of wood. Either way, I'd get this plant out of this pot and into a smaller pot with a better aerated mix.

Josh

• jutsFL
    10 years ago

Agreed, soil appears really soaked. Better drainage and letting it dry out a bit May help. JMO but I don't know if I'd downsize the pot, added stress IMO. Just have to watch over it a bit more in the larger pot, as the roots haven't filled the area as of yet. From what I understand, Josh has the right view here... Let it drain better. Appears that there is a healthy stem, give the right care it should bounce back for you.

• scott123456
    10 years ago

Sorry to hijack this thread but I too had a similar problem with a couple of my plants last year with the MG potting mix (I agree it is junk). I had to add so much stuff to it (mostly perlite) to get it where I wanted that it was a waist of money. A couple of plants that I didnâÂÂt add enough perlite to ( wasnâÂÂt going to buy any more) became water logged like the ones shown here and would not grow, turned yellow, and eventually died. This year will only be my second year growing and I have a lot to learn, so maybe you all can help me with a couple of questions. First, given the proper soil/mix, how can a pot be too big? I mean no matter how big your pot is, it is not bigger than the ground, and they grow fine in the ground. I would imagine the bigger the pot the better, what am I missing? Secondly, is there an inexpensive alternative to perlite? I was thinking something like gravel or sand would work but I am not sure if this would be ok on the plant.

Thanks,
    Scott

• Valdo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I elevated the plant but think I'll keep the pot. The difference was quite surprising, this morning the soil was quite dry. Good drainage seems to be key for potted plants.

10 years ago

Scott,
    with the right mix, there is no such thing as too big a pot.
    Indeed, you could sow seeds directly in a 20-gallon container, provided that the mix has sufficient drainage. Small gravel or large sand does help a mix by reducing overall water-holding capacity and increasing durability. Perlite is favored because it holds moisture on its outer surface and it is so light.

Josh

• TFortune
    10 years ago

If I read the OP correctly, that plant is 10 months old already? If that's true, it seems to me that there are probably waaaay more issues going on than just having waterlogged potting mix at this point... At ten months that plant should be way bigger, I would think. It almost looks to me like my pepper seedlings last year that I let get burned up over a long weekend under lights. The leaves all burned and I was left with stalk only. It also kinda reminds me of the jalapeno my cats got after two years ago that they stripped all the leaes off of...

• Valdo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The only thing similar to what you are saying TF is that it has been an unbearably cold winter this year. Could that be the reason for the stunt?

• TFortune
    10 years ago

Did you cut it back and overwinter it, or has it always been that small?

• Valdo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I did not cut it back at all, only snipped dried branches. But, to be honest, I am wondering if it is not a scotch bonnet or something else. I bought the seedlings through amazon, they all looked the same, but I am wondering...

• TFortune
    10 years ago

How did the roots look when you transplanted it out of the small container? I had some bell peppers that i got from the amish in Tennessee last summer that were severely rootbound when I transplanted them and I never got any grwoth out of them. The plants hung on all summer but never produced and never grew much, and they kinda had a similiar look to that pic...

• User
    10 years ago

I'm inclined to think TFortune may have summed it up pretty succinctly when he wrote there are probably waaaay more issues going on than just having waterlogged potting mix at this point... At ten months that plant should be way bigger

Seeds like people sometime inherit bad genes. Have you thought about getting fresh seeds from another source and starting a new plant? You can continue trying to nurse the current one to health and have a, hopefully, strong backup just in case.

Just sayin,

Bill

• Valdo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The roots looked fine, perhaps a little thin. I started another seed with some other peppers. Anyone have some good sources for scotch bonnet seeds?

• User
    10 years ago

If you're interested, I can send you a few Chocolate Scotch Bonnet seeds to try. Send me an email via my profile page.

This is what the pods look like:

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

Ooo yes. Chocolate SBs are really cool .. er .. hot and prolific. Soon as they set pods and started to ripen people came and bought them all. Recommendation: grow CSBs but don't put price stickers on them.

Dennis (I think)

• TFortune
    10 years ago

How do the CSB's compare to the Jamaican yellow scotch bonnets? Those are the only ones i have grown and I really liked the heat level and the flavor. I actually preffered them to the habaneros I grew last year (although I had intended to grow the Chocolate hab since it got really good recommendations for flavor and I wound up with plain jane orange habs and godawful hot red habs due to an unreliable seed source)

• User
    10 years ago

Dennis, prolific seems to be an understatement. They're one of the best producers I've grown. I hope you put a weighty price tag on them!

TFortune, They have the Bonnet taste but are hotter. Did you save any SB Yellow seeds? My Yellow did not germinate, bad seed. If you did save seeds I'll trade you for some (isolated) Chocolate SB seeds to try. If not, I'll send you some anyways ;-) If you're interested send me an email.

Bill

• Valdo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I do hope this has turned out to become a scotch bonnet cult.

Below you will find the extent of my greenhouse. Yes that is an old ashtray. But I see the humidity forming at the top of the tray as a good sign. I have scotch, jalapeno, habanero and thai peppers in there.

Only thing I worry about is a temperature, a brisk 75- advice?

• abnorm
    10 years ago

I have good quality Jamaican Yellow Scotch Bonnet seeds available......SASE

Here's a pic of last season......doug

This post was edited by abnorm on Thu, Feb 27, 14 at 20:19

• Valdo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Update:

Maybe I just see this little bonnet as the Engine that could, maybe its really doing well, here is an update with my hand to scale. Now maybe its not cabbage leaves like it should be, but I just got a weird feeling that this little guy will surprise us all. I noticed a lot of new growth at the top and sides, and perhaps I am a strange defiantly proud parent, but do the leaves seem bigger to me?

Thanks especially go to Josh for suggesting the elevation, I think it was just the trick.

As a side note, the soil really smells of manure (I know because I got some on my pants- long story) I do hope that is a good sign?

10 years ago

Looks a hell of a lot better, and I'm glad things are turning around. Work to ensure that the mix dries in timely fashion.

Josh

• Valdo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Manchester (plant's name) is popping, growth about. I gave it some superthrive liquid because the soil was looking dry.

Should I be thinking of fertlizer?

10 years ago

Yes, I'd be fertilizing regularly with a liquid fertilizer, probably once a week.

Josh

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

> " I hope you put a weighty price tag on them! (CSBs)"

I got $10 for a 15" high plant with a couple dozen pods set. Went to a nice Jamaican lady that makes and sells marinades and jerks.

I should have charged her more. The others were still pretty small. Probably $4-5.

Dennis

• Valdo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Liquid like? I sense the super thrive ain't enough.

10 years ago

For example, Miracle Grow, a synthetic fertilizer. Or even Fish Emulsion, an organic fertilizer (which work a bit slower). I personally use a combination of Osmocote slow-release and Foliage Pro liquid fertilizer, but there are many ways to skin a cat, so to speak ;-)

Josh

• Valdo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Draining well, dry soil, lots and lots of growth.

But why does this tiny plant have buds forming? Isn't it too small. I swear it feels like I have a haiku scotch bonnet!

10 years ago

Pluck the buds off to keep the plant in a vegetative mode.
    I imagine that it's small because its root-system was stunted.

Josh

• Valdo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Vegetative?

10 years ago

...producing vegetation, foliage (as opposed to fruit).

Josh

• Valdo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bigger vegetation, bigger fruit later- got it!

• Valdo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Above you will see my primitive ash tray greenhouse effect. Turns out a bonnet seedling is emerging, the other two are null for now. What do I do with that one cup? I read somewhere that the minute a seedling sprouts you should remove the dome- advice?

Obi

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

Yeah, I'd take it off. The upside (keep soil from drying, help prevent helmet head) are outweighed by the downside (fungus, damping off, no air circulation to strengthen stem),

Dennis

• Valdo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Does temperature matter, my windowsill is a bit cold. Is temperature still a factor?

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

Yes, but really only in terms of rate of growth. If you're still germinating and don't over-water, you can leave it on until the seeds either turn into plants or you give up on them.

• Valdo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

UPDATE: Here she is, I don't know if I should be impressed or not. Gave it some MiracleGro draining it healthfully, pulling pods so that it relies on vegetation. Am I on the right track or do I have a dud?

I got 11 other Scotch seedlings so there are other options.

By the way, the dollar is for size. Too bad its not shedding money huh?

10 years ago

The vitality has improved markedly! Good job!
    Unless you need the container for something else, just let it continue and see what comes of it.

Josh

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

As a side note, the soil really smells of manure (I know because I got some on my pants- long story) I do hope that is a good sign?

Never. Soil should smell like dirt -- earthy and sort of sweet and pleasant. At least it is to me.

You were rotting the roots and soil from what it sounds like and by the way it looks NOW, drainage seems to have fixed the issue.

Much better looking.

Kevin

• Valdo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I thought since it was MiracleGro potting soil and organic that they just but a sack on the wrong end of a cow and bang- fertilizer.

I check the thing every day, but now seeing these pictures together, there is progress, progress indeed!

Ovy

10 years ago

ohh.. you mean fresh out of the bag? Then maybe. Still, it shouldn't smell like manure unless it's maybe bagged GARDEN soil where once it's added to the garden, it can be broken down.

If you ever get a potting soil that smells like that, give it some good flushes and wait a good couple weeks before planting. Usually an indicator of unfinished composting.

Btw, I'm with Josh on letting it go. And yes, I'd keep plucking pods and buds for awhile. It may have been stunted some but it looks like it just might recover. It's hard to kill a pepper plant.

Kevin

• Valdo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm both scared and proud to show this picture. This is what the plant originally looked like. Yes, I had NO idea what draining meant at all. Now I know. I keep the plant elevated, perhaps letting it soak a bit if I throw in fertilizer.

Yeah thats coffee, I dumped a LOT of coffee on this poor girl.

Gulp huh?

• Valdo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Found these bugs all over the soil of the scotch bonnet and a few on the leaves (sorry for the bad pics, they are like gnats). Are they black or winged aphids? Never seen these are so many of them.

Are they harmful to the plant? If so, what organic pest control can I use?

10 years ago

Can't tell from the pics what that is, but you can always spray the top and bottom of the leaves with a mild solution of Neem Oil or other horticultural soap. Be sure to spray after the sun has passed.

Josh

• Valdo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Research has concluded that it might be Fungus gnats, the appropriate steps, holding off on watering, a nice vinegar/ dishwater trap, have been taken.

• abnorm
    10 years ago

Mosquito dunk containing BT in your "watering can"

10 years ago

That's BT I variant, not K variant; which is for caterpillars.

• mauby
    9 years ago

You have the patience of Job; in 10 months you should have been enjoying the fruits of your labour.

Here is a pretty definitive guide for field planting but equally useful for containers.

ftp://ftp.fao.org/docrep/fao/005/AD109E/AD109E00.pdf

Scotch Bonnet Guide