Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peppernovice

Post your seedling pics....

peppernovice
10 years ago

Here's a look at my progress so far. Please post pics of your plants. I'd love to see how everyone else is doing.

Tim

Comments (152)

• StupidHotPeppers
    10 years ago

Tim, what are you using for fertilizer? Those plants look amazing

• don555
    10 years ago

Haha, well not sure if this really qualifies as a seedling, since I planted this Dorset Naga (?) in the basement last July and it has been there ever since... but I do plan to keep it alive until spring 2014 and then plant it outdoors to see how it does in zone 3. Anyway, this pic taken 2 weeks ago, growing in a 6" pot...

• jarrydleestewart
    10 years ago

Here some of my seedlings first time ever growing not sure what they are suppose to be like any tips would be great. The close is one browning on the edges what's the reason for that?

• jarrydleestewart
    10 years ago

Browned off one

• peppernovice
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Morugaman..... I've fertilized twice. Once with a fish emulsion, and once with Miracle Grow liqua feed. I use at a quarter to a half strength. They are also in a mix I made which includes dolomitic lime and Osmocote fertilizer.
    Jarryd..... Your seedlings seem to be a bit leggy. Do you have them under lights? If so, the lights need to be 2 to 4 inches away if they are fluorescent lights.
    Everyone's plants are looking great. That Dorset Naga is beautiful Don. Have you tried a pepper off of it yet? I was wondering how the heat compares to an outdoor/summer plant.

Tim

• jutsFL
    10 years ago

That naga looks mighty fine indeed!

• jarrydleestewart
    10 years ago

Nah I don't have them under lights can you get away with not having lights? I was a bit unsure on how they were suppose to look at this stage.. They germinated in 6 days so I thought they were going pretty good but by the looks of it they are quite tall. If I got a light would one fluorescent be ok
    Thanks

• jarrydleestewart
    10 years ago

Should I replant them in plastic cups with soil nearly up to there leaves?

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

You need lights. The least expensive solution would probably be a 4 foot shop light with two T8 or T12 bulbs. Keep in mind that as your plants grow, they will need a lot more room and enough light now will not be so in a month or two. You can always add another bank of shop lights if necessary later on. But, yes, unless they get some decent sunlight, they need artificial lights. I would suggest Daylight or 6500K bulbs. If you don't get them light soon, they will continue to grow tall and skinny and eventually will wind up with weak enough stems that they simply topple over unless they wind up dying before then.
    Bruce
    Bruce

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

You dont need to replant them right now, but soon you should. And yes, at that time, you should probably plant them a bit deeper. But not up to the leaves. Maybe 1/4 to 1/3 deeper than they are now.
    Bruce

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Don: That is an awful nice looking Dorsett Naga. Especially for one grown indoors. That is going to be nice in June when you get it outside. It will probably take another step up in niceness when you do.
    Bruce

• jarrydleestewart
    10 years ago

Yer iv been trying to give them daylight but I think it's to hot because the leaves start to curl and shrivel so I take them out of the sun. It's about 30 degrees Celsius here I eventually want to just grow them outside but is it to early to put them outside?

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

30 degrees celcius is about 86 Farenheit. That is pretty warm for seedlings and those little cells will probably dry out in hours in sunny heat like that. I would keep them inside but with artificial light for a while yet. Soon you will need to replant them and then soon after that, I would put them outside in the shade to start with for just a few hours early or late in the day. Then gradually move them to more and more light for longer times until you can plant them in the ground or in large containers for the summer.
    Where are you at where it is that warm? I haven't seen 0 Celcius for over two weeks here.

Bruce

• jarrydleestewart
    10 years ago

I'm in Perth Australia so it's middle of summer at the moment

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

OK, that makes sense. I kind of thought you were from south of the equator.
    Bruce

• jarrydleestewart
    10 years ago

Ok so I got myself a light and got them in a shady place with not much wind. I replanted them all in plastic cups. So hopefully that will help them and they will grow a bit less leggy.

• jarrydleestewart
    10 years ago

Got some tomatoes in there as well but labeled all the cups.

• jtight
    10 years ago

:( I started these ~ a week ago a/ nothing. Of course two days after I planted them GA got the snow/ice apocalypse a/ the day temp has yet to get over 50. (just my luck) As result I can't get the base of my grow house >60. Last year I had no problem b/c the grow house was indoors; however, this year I moved it to garage (non temp controlled) to get the house out of the way. It's a 4x4 x7 grow house.

Part of the problem is that the house is sitting directly on the garage floor. I am going to get a piece of plywood today a/ slide under house in an effort to keep base warmer since it won't be directly on concrete floor anymore. Plus with it sitting directly on floor, I don't feel comfy turning a fan on them a/or opening ventilation flaps in an effort to try a/ maintain as much heat as poss.

I have them sitting under a Virtual Sun 2-Ft 6 Lamp Veg Vegetation T5 HO Fluorescent, (roughly 2ft above plants); however, i just can't them warm enough.

I am starting to get a little worried b/c I don't have a single sprout (which I know is temp related). My worry is that if these don't start popping up soon that I will have to restart b/c these seeds may have been wasted.

Thoughts from the crew...

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Yep, I am sure the temps are affecting the germination. Whether it is delaying it or aborting it altogether is unclear however.
    I suggest a couple solutions. First, you don't need light right now, just heat. Light is only necessary after they sprout.

Some suggestions: You could put a small heater fan in there. I use one in my mini green house in the spring that keeps the night time temps above 50. It runs on a thermostat so it doesn't run constant and only comes on when necessary. Another solution would be to add heat mats under the seedlings. I am not sure how big that grow house is, but they make the heat mats in several sizes. Or, you could install some heat producing lights above the plants which will provide heat to the seedlings.
    I would give them another 2-3 days. If NOTHING pops by then, I don't think they will. They may still germinate later if you provide heat though, but at that point, I would start over.
    Bruce

• jtight
    10 years ago

Heat mat wise I would need 4'x4'. Little pricey at that size.

I took a piece of plywood, cut in half, stacked that under grow house to get it off the concrete floor. Wrapped the plywood in a packing blanket.

Bought two 300 watt heating lamps w/ 250 watt infrared heat bulbs. Hoping that will get something moving in next 3-4 days.

Bruce - To your point, If I don't see any action shortly then I will trash this group a/ restart. Pray no more snow/ice apocalypse shows up.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Those heat bulbs should be plenty if the little grow house you have is enclosed. Just make sure you have some kind of thermometer in there so that you don't cook them.
    Bruce

• jtight
    10 years ago

Good call Bruce. I bought a combo temp/humidity gauge a/ put it in there.

Also bought a time for the heat lamps. Figure fo 8 on a/ 2 off a/ see how that does controlling temp

• technochimp89
    10 years ago

Just started up 9 more varieties of seeds:

Trinidad Scorpion Moraga
    Yellow Bhut Jolokia
    Congo Trinidad
    Chinese 5 Color
    Bonda Ma Jacques
    Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
    Twilight
    Chocolate Scotch Bonnet
    Takanotsume

Huge thank you to ottawapepper for providing the seeds!

I'll be sure to get some pictures up once these guys start sprouting.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

First off, there are a lot of nice seedlings out there. And the heat is on to germinate and grow more. I am soaking 3 more varieties that I got the seeds from Leaf/Erickson. Thanks Eric.

Second, I believe that if we had to grade and vote for the best bunch of seedling, TIM is the winner. So I suggest that we put to vote and ask him to change his GW user name to "PEPPERPRO"
    frome "peppernovice".

KEEP THE HEAT ON !

• peppernovice
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's hard to call a winner when not everyone post pics. I appreciate the vote, but trust me, I am a novice. There are far more experienced guys and gals on here. I try to read everyday. There is so much to learn. I think one thing that has helped this year is mixing my own soil. I used Miracle Grow germinating mix initially, but for my second pot up I used some Fafard 3b mixed with perlite, peatmoss, osmocote, and dolomitic lime. It seems the plants really liked the mix. I also fertilized earlier than I ever have. Don't be afraid to give a shot of fertilizer after they start getting true leaves, Just make sure you dilute it. I just hope the more experienced people here continue to share their knowledge. I don't want to name them for fear I'll leave someone out, but we all know who they are.
    Hopefully everyone keeps posting their pics. I love seeing everyone's techniques and results.

Tim

• stimey
    10 years ago

I have about 15 ghost peppers sprouted with two leaves they are in MG starting mix, I have some long maturity tomatoes that I started at the same time, when I moved them from the seed cells the starting mix was very dry at the root zone, the surface looked moist but the roots were not. I am assuming my peppers are in the same situation, my question is do I need to wait until the true leaves develop before I transplant them into there own container with better mix? I am going to fill the tray with water and see if the mix will wick it up. I started some Serrano this morning in DE, first time using DE so I am all ears on your thoughts, I am a newbe with peppers so please advise. I am headed out for pics of my seed starting set up so don't laugh when I post them. Thanks

• stimey
    10 years ago

Here is some pics of my set up, feel free to critique.

• stimey
    10 years ago

Ghost peppers

• peppernovice
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You can go ahead and pot up if you feel your soil is suspect. I start 2 or 3 seeds per cell, and pot them up to individual containers when they are around that size.

Tim

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

If you set your starter cells into a shallow tray of water, they will wick up water from the bottom. I would do that. I also would hesitate to transplant them until they get a bit bigger. At least a set of true leaves. Right now they are pretty fragile. But, if you feel the soil is a problem, then it would be wise to get them switched over right away.
    Bruce

• stimey
    10 years ago

Thanks Tim that is just what I will do today, otherwise it is going to bug me to death I just want to get away from the peat based stuff, if the DE doesn't pan out I have some pine bark fines that I may screen across a 8 mesh and see how that does. Thanks for the help!

• stimey
    10 years ago

Thanks esox07 lol I have them soaking now, like I responded to peppenivice if I lift one out in about an hour and the soil is still dry I will move all of them over.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Don't soak them for a whole hour! If they soil doesn't wick up with in a minute or two, it likely will not. I set mine in pan of water and the water wicks up within seconds. I used MG Seed starting mix in the little cells like yours.
    Bruce

• stimey
    10 years ago

Ok Bruce its been awhile so I will check, thanks for the help I will keep you guys posted.

• jarrydleestewart
    10 years ago

Just wondering what the slight browning on the side of the leaves is from?
    They are looking a bit healthier since I put them under a light.
    Jarryd

• jarrydleestewart
    10 years ago

Also should just leave the light on then 24/7 or is good to have it off for a bit?
    Thanks Jarryd

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

jarrydleestewart:
    I think that is caused by you looking at them too much. No, seriously, that seedling looks like it is doing fine and I wouldn't be concerned about it. Sometimes we expect our plants to be perfect. They never are and any flaw we find immediately raises concerns that something is seriously wrong. The longer/more often we look, the more "problems" we will find.
    Good luck and I expect to see a picture of that plant in September with bright red fruit hanging all over it.
    As far as the light goes, I suggest 12-18 hours. 24/7 just isnt natural for Pepper plants.
    Bruce

This post was edited by esox07 on Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 21:01

• jarrydleestewart
    10 years ago

Haha I broke my hand so I'm off work at the moment so got too much time on my hands. Thanks

• thepodpiper
    10 years ago

First hooks of the 2014 season.
    {{gwi:1146058}}

these are the varieties that I am growing this year;

7-Pot (Infinity)
    7-Pot (Jonah)
    7-Pot (White)
    7-Pot Bubblegum
    7-Pot Burgundy (long)
    7-Pot Burgundy (short)
    Aconcagua
    Aji Golden
    Aji Mirasol
    Aji Rocoto
    Aji Russian Yellow
    Ancho Poblano
    Bahamian Goat Pepper
    Bhut Indian Carbon
    Bhut Jolokia (Peach)
    Bhut Jolokia (Purple)
    Bhut Jolokia (White)
    Bhutlah
    Big Jim
    Blondie
    Bode
    Boldog
    Budai Csipos
    C. Rhomboidium
    Cacho de Cabra
    Calusa Indian Mound
    CAP 1479
    CAP 1481
    CAP 503
    Capezzoli di Scimmia
    Carolina Reaper
    CGN 21500
    CGN 21566
    CGN 21582
    CGN 22095
    CGN 22208
    CGN 22834
    CGN 22871
    CGN 23769
    Cherry Bomb
    Chile Blanco
    Chilhaucle Negro
    Chiltepe
    Chimayo
    Chocolate Barrackpore
    Costeno Amarillo
    Cow Horn (red)
    Cveta Hot (f-1)
    Cveta Hot (f-2)
    Giant Mexican Rocoto
    GRIF 9198
    GRIF 9223
    Habanero Amarillo
    Habanero Costa Rica ?
    Habanero Guadaloupe
    Habanero Long Chocolate
    Habanero Luciferino
    Habanero Peruvian White
    Habanero Solar Flare
    Holland Hot Finger
    Jalapeno Biker Billy's
    Jalapeño Guachingo
    Jalapeño Jalaro
    Jalapeño Mucho Nacho
    Jalapeño Stuard
    Jimmy Nardello
    Kisser
    Limo Blanco
    Manzano (red)
    Marconi (red)
    Medusa
    Monkey Face
    Mulato
    Naga Viper
    Ndungu
    NuMex Sandia
    Patuljak Midget
    PI 159259
    PI 159263
    PI 257142
    PI 260521
    PI 260523
    PI 439443
    PI 441629
    PI 585261
    Pimento Pequillo
    Pimento Picon
    Purple UFO
    Quadrato Giallo D' Asti
    Safi Red
    Samborka Yellow Hot
    SB7J
    Scorpion (Butch T)
    Scorpion (chocolate)
    Sport
    Starburst
    Super Datil
    Super Pube
    Teapot Orange
    Tolito
    Trifetti
    Wailua
    Yellow Naga

Tried to put in a double column format but it pasted in single column.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Only those serious about growing peppers are allowed to post in this thread. thepodpiper, I think you are pushing the threshold. If you add one or two more varieties, I think we can allow it.

Bruce

• thepodpiper
    10 years ago

There is more. Most r just ones from my collection that got low on quantity from trading and the chinenses that I will be growing. The ones I will plant on the 1st of March will be all annuums. There will be over 2000 plants and most will be sold.

• OKgrowin
    10 years ago

getting bigger

• peppernovice
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Looking good OKgrowin.

Podpiper.....Do you sleep? That's an impressive list. There's a couple on there I would like to have. Hit me up when you harvest seeds. Maybe I'll have something you don't, but after seeing that list, I doubt it.

Tim

• seysonn
    10 years ago

OKgrown, Those are some nice and healthy looking seedlings.

Podpiper : Bless ! Even though you are going to sell most but that is impressive to me. Last count I will have just about 20 varieties, about one or two plants of each. I am just trying to germinate the last 3. I predict that it is going to be a HOT season. LOL

• thepodpiper
    10 years ago

I"m only growing 3 plants of each variety that I am harvesting seeds from and the plants that sell will be numerous quantities. Tomatoes is where the money is so that is where the plant numbers get out of control. Even though I sell plants now, it is very much an addiction to grow these and many other vegetablesâ¦I can't stop.

2 years ago I had 250 varieties of peppers and 100 varieties of heirloom tomatoes in my garden. My garden is 150' long and 50' wide the width grows by about 3-4 ft a year.

When my wife leaves for the day in the spring I just move the fence out and till the grass before she gets home.

• ottawapepper
    10 years ago

thepodpiper, Thank You!

My GF thinks I'm crazy growing 48 varieties this year. I just showed her your list and said...

"See, I'm not that bad, there are crazier pepper growers than me out there! Aren't you glad you don't live with this guy? Kinda makes you appreciate me more doesn't it.

I got a ya right look. My pillow isn't on the sofa yet though!

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

podpiper:

Garden or "Back 40"?

Bruce

• thepodpiper
    10 years ago

I have not taken many pics the last couple of years but there are a few on the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: garden pics

• wolph
    10 years ago

Hello everyone your seedlings all look great! And by reading this post I reilized that I have probably put my seedlings out way to early.
    I went straight from peat pellets into my raised bed.and I didnt harden them off will they live. Thanks for the help

• wolph
    10 years ago

Hello everyone your seedlings all look great! And by reading this post I reilized that I have probably put my seedlings out way to early.
    I went straight from peat pellets into my raised bed.and I didnt harden them off will they live. Thanks for the help

{{!gwi}}

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler