Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

o
Post your seedling pics....

Posted by peppernovice 7 b (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 12:44

Here's a look at my progress so far. Please post pics of your plants. I'd love to see how everyone else is doing.

Tim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Post your seedling pics....

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 17:14

Very nice looking pics. What are you using for seed starting soil this year? When did you sow your seeds?
Bruce

This post was edited by esox07 on Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 17:16

o

The oldest were started seed in soil on Jan 2nd... The super hots are way slower I'm noticing. Many really small seedlings that were started later too in there. Sorry, that cross bar holds my light fixture :)

One more pic of the others to follow...

o

The others..

Still have a few tobasco and habanero on the heat mat waiting at the moment.

o

Since it's posted, anyone have an idea of what may be causing the droopy leaves and downward curl of the plant in the top right corner (first pic)? All the leaves are dark green and healthy looking aside from the previous issue.

o

Tim,

You're 5 to 6 weeks ahead of me. Nice looking starts!

Great job.

Bill

o

Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 18:59

Good looking plants for 4 weeks...really good.
I started this Black Pearl on Christmas Day, Popped on January 1st. I planted this as a test as I had zero luck trying to grow them last year. I will probably keep this fella through to the summer. But I will be starting my main grow in a week or so.

o

No contest , Tim.
But I post a picture of mine, as asked.

I have yet to separate/thin/ re pot

This post was edited by seysonn on Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 19:12

o

Most everyone's first outing yesterday

o

Since it's posted, anyone have an idea of what may be causing the droopy leaves and downward curl ..
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have experienced drooping leaves, mostly lower ones in bigger seedlings. It got me worried that there is some root decay / or something?. SURPRISE ! they were just thirsty.

o

Very nice plants everyone!

JutsFL, maybe over watering? Need more info...

Anyway here's a few of mine so far, started January 14th

o

Oops, here's a few more..

Sorry about the quality, tablet camera sucks.

o

Juts Fl..."anyone have an idea of what may be causing the droopy leaves"

What's the light source....Why the tight box.....you're not cooking them ?

doug

o

Here are just some of my pilot starts that I did loong time ago. Do you see pod? I got seeds from an ornamental plant. I have no clue what it is called. On the right is a habanero. In the back is an Indian eggplant. Seeds came from store bough fresh eggplant.

Actually, all the seeds came from store bought fresh fruits including habanero and cubanelle.

This post was edited by seysonn on Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 20:37

o

Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 20:59

Seysonn: That looks like a Twilight ornamental. If it is, you will really like. I promise.
Bruce

o

Thanks Bruce.
Yours in the picture looks fantastic. So that is a 4 color : yellow, purple, orange and red. the fruits on mine look the same : Starts pale yellow then turn purple(so far). I already like it.
I overwintered a dwarf called SANGRIA. It starts with purple pods and eventually turns red.

o

Firstly to you esox07 - I cannot believe your plant. It is so nice looking with the colored fruits. What plant is that. I would like to order seeds for that one, then maybe the lady of the house would be more interested in gardening if she had something colorful like that.

Secondly and very important. Is this what I have to look forward to in my future? All of this! I thought my meager 11 plants was crazy and overdoing it.......Now I see I need more pots and cups. Good thing I picked up more trays today. This is my first year growing my own, and am having fun so far. It is great and a good way to learn. Will try to get pics up tomorrow of my first crop.

o

Sun, Feb 2, 14 at 0:05

Yah, pretty much 4 colors with some combinations as they change from one color to the next.
They start yellowish then purple, etc...
Here is a picture of the same plant when it was young.

o

Sun, Feb 2, 14 at 0:09

obchili: That is a Numex Twilight. I would be happy to send you some seeds. But you don't have an email on your user profile. Go to my user profile page and contact me with your address and i will get some out to you. Yes, you are officially hooked now. Peppers Anonymous meets MWF at 8pm.
Photobucket
Bruce

o

Sun, Feb 2, 14 at 0:15

Peppernovice:
I am sorry, I just realized I basically hijacked your thread.
Bruce

o

:) No worries Bruce. I stepped away for a little while today, and was pleasantly surprised with the interest in this thread. Thanks for the kind words. I started these on December 26th. I use Miracle Grow germinating mix. They were started in a 72 cell tray. I moved them to clear solo cups after about 3 weeks, and into these larger pots about 6 days ago, They have had one round of fish emulsion at about 1/4 strength.

Tim

o

Heres my pics. Started seeds a few weeks ago. Now the first group is starting to get big. I have not seperated them yet as it is still a little cold at night to move them outside. Now add 3 more groups like this in various stages and as my wife says "thats a hella lotta plants".

o

Tim, Those seedlings looks great for less than 5 weeks young. They all look very stocky . I fertilize mine with a very WEAK 12 - 4- 8 . every time I water.

Ronny, good plants and good for you that are getting close to moving them out. For me ,maybe also Tim, have at least 2 more months to baby our seedlings.

OK, peppa buds, lets see more. I love this.

o

Started these January 10. Got almost 100% germination except for the Pequins, which can take over a month to germinate at 80 degrees. Slowpokes, but they're worth it.

o

Here are a couple of photos of my first attempt of pepper growing. Starting out indoors in a greenhouse. These are a chili of some sort that I had harvested seeds from.

This post was edited by obchili on Sun, Feb 2, 14 at 12:15

o

And one more. The square pots are housing Caribbean Reds, front 3 are Trinidad Scorpions Moruga Blend, and 1 7Pot Douglah.

This post was edited by obchili on Sun, Feb 2, 14 at 12:18

o

Sun, Feb 2, 14 at 14:09

Peppernovice: I think I am going the 72 cell route this year as well...but not all 72. Anyway, I was planning on MG seed starting mix like you. When you potted up the the solo cups and then again to bigger containers, what soil did you use then? Did you stick with MG seed starting mix or something else?
Thanks,
Bruce

o

This is one of my 21 seedlings, this particular one is an El Jefe jalapeño. The others are about the same size, but they're under the lights so I just took this one out for the picture. Seems like a lot of us start our peppers early in the year--this one was started on new year's day, 2014.

o

Sun, Feb 2, 14 at 17:03

That is a really nice looking 32 day old pepper plant.
Bruce

o

Bruce... I kept them in Miracle grow when I moved them into solo cups. I switched over to a mix when I moved them into the larger pots. It's some 3b mixed with peat moss, perlite, lime, and osmocote.

Tim

o

All the seedling pics are great, really enjoying this thread started by peppernovice!

Thanks for the thoughts on mine too... The temp is fine within the box, so I don't believe that's the issue (I built it that size to maximize light reflection, but wishing it was larger now...as I 'need' more peppers!). I have been letting them thoroughly dry out before watering, so under watering may certainly explain why only the largest one is exhibiting the problem. I'll test it by watering that one some more and see how it goes. I've still got a lot to learn for starting from seed, thank you for the insight from everyone here! The help is much appreciated.

o

jutsFL, I use the same system every year and always had success starting from seed. It is:

1. Using a Park BioDome, start one seed in each plug. Place on heat mats with thermostats set at 85ºF and under lights. The BioDome is truly the cadillac of germinating tools, in my experience; never had a pepper seed take more than 24 days to germinate in there, and the average is closer to 11 days.
2. When seedlings sprout healthy cotydelon leaves, replant the plug in opaque plastic party cups (with holes punched in the bottoms of the party cups for drainage). Move to trays, still on bottom heat at 85ºF, and commence bottom watering.
3. When roots appear to start to circle (as seen through the opaque cups), replant to one gallon pots. I've noted that this doesn't happen until some of the plants are nearly 4" tall with 5-6 sets of leaves, which puts the "replant when there are two true leaves" advice to rest. Each type of plant needs to be repotted at different times.
4. When approaching plant-out time, i.e. past the last freeze and the days are warming up and I've been hardening the plants for a couple of weeks, I either (a) repot to 5-gallon double buckets (for the smaller pepper plants), or (b) plant out in the ground (for the bigger ones, like poblanos). In both cases I cover them with plastic, since I live in the pacific northwest and it doesn't really warm up to peppers' liking until about late july unless they are covered!

This approach has yielded me excellent germination rates and crops each year. The photo is one day's harvest from last summer, I did that level of harvesting for several weeks, and we now have cans and cans of pickled peppers and lots of dried ones too, just from 2013. (Those are jalapeño and hot thai peppers, btw, the only two varieties that I grew last year.)

o

Hello all,

I'll post a pic when mine are more photogenic but I'm amused to see I'm not the first to have thought of Solo party cups! Couldn't decide what to plant after that great seed swap so I planted one of each, and one each of the repeats too. I started mine outside in early-mid January. Serrano Tampiqueno and Peter Pepper came up first last weekend, Bishop's Crown during the week, and this weekend a few: both the "em247" and the "maple.grove" strains of Fish Pepper along with the "LeafEricson" strain of Chimayo and also Rain Forest. The medium is sifted pumice in drilled Solo cups and they get afternoon sun.

I'm impressed with all the big, healthy plants so early! Can't wait for more of mine to come up.

o

Thanks to Tim and others I have plenty to grow...here's a few

o

Had to move a few lights out the way to take the pic. 233 seedlings so far. Maybe 1/4 thru...:-).

o

Screenthumb, thats more like a farm. Very impressive indeed. 233 seedlings ! I have about one tenth of that (23, maybe less). I am just a novice here and it shows.

seysonn

o

Seysonn...thanks. I'm a novice too. Only my second year. If it wasn't for the people on here I'd never have the seeds of the knowledge to do this.

o

These are my Beaverdam seedlings that were from this past summer plants. (My first time with regrowing seeds) At first it was more a test if if they germinated last week and they did, So I put 3 of them in a yogurt cup today after I got back and put it with MG and this is what this photo is of. Not much yet but still kind of excited I got them to sprout.

I will start the rest of my hot peppers within the next week or so, I am still trying to figure out what to grow this year.

o

This is my first attempt at ever growing anything. I have some ghost chilis in the first pic and jalapeños in the second. (Along with some thyme and oregano. The 72 cell has cucumber.)

BTW: Those numex twilights look amazing! I know I'm new to the community here, but if I could get a hold of some of those seeds, I would definitely pay it forward next season. :)

o

Techno, good job.
Unless the lighting is misleading, your seedlings are too pale. Are you fertilizing them at all ?

o

sooo jealous of you southerners.. I have to wait around 3/1 to begin seeding. It's gonna be a long 25 days...

o

Seysonn, I noticed they seemed pale too. I've been working with a few other people over in another thread about ghost chili leaves curling. I did just start fertilizing, but no real change yet.

o

Impressed with all the good looking plants you guys have growing. Hopefully this thread keeps going. I love seeing the fruits of everyone's efforts. TechnoChimp.... I'll check my seeds, but I believe I gave away my last few NuMex Twilight seeds.

Tim

o

My seedlings
Chocolate Habanero
Dedo De Moca
Cheiro
Brazilian Starfish
Bhut Jolokia
and some mystery seeds!

o

Tim, if you think you gave away your last Twilight seeds don't worry about checking your stock. I can spot TechnoChimp some seed. Let me know if you'd like some as well.

TechnoChimp, send me an email via my profile page. Include your mailing address and email address.

Bill

o

An update to my seedlings, what a difference a few days can make!!!

o

Thank you Bill. Those are some beautiful plants jutsFL.

Tim

o

Wed, Feb 5, 14 at 19:36

All of these great photos succeeded in forcing me to succumb to the planting bug. I went ahead and started my early varieties. To further feed my itch, I am posting a pic of the planting...no green yet, but I will update in a week or so when they hopefully start popping.
I hope you guys are happy for making me fall off the wagon. :)
Bruce

o

Esox07... Maybe one of those "anonymous" groups is in order :D

o

Wed, Feb 5, 14 at 20:04

What? I can stop any time I want to. But don't count on it.
Photobucket
Bruce

o

Started 16 days ago... Morugas, 7-pots, Red Fatallis and a few Carolina Reapers. Some need more time before transplanting.

o

Little closer look...

o

Little closer look...

o

How do the twilight taste? Are they worth growing for food, or mainly ornamental?

o

esox, again. I like your organization. I tried similar, but yours is awesome. I may have to borrow it as an aide for my own.... You just keep me on my toes. Thanks.

o

peps22, I'm just south of the border with Canada, and I always start my peppers on new year's day :D

o

Thu, Feb 6, 14 at 16:00

pfloyd826: Twilight are relatively hot peppers. Hotter than I care to eat generally. I gave my mom a twilight last summer and she used them fresh in several of her dishes. So, they are definitely edible, but not generally grown for their culinary value.

obchili: Yah, I have to keep organized and keep records. Otherwise, I get all mixed up and pretty soon, I forget which is which. Then it takes months for them to grow enough to find out which is which.

bham_ gardener: Where are you exactly? Seems strange that ou can be in growing growing zone 8a and be just south of the Canadian border. I am in S. Wisconsin and zone 4b.

Bruce

o

Nice looking seedlings everyone! Glad to see some green and can't wait for spring. Here are a few of my seedlings, started on Jan 20th.

Mark

o

Mine are about 2 1/2 weeks old, just put them in solo cups a few days ago. I've got some other seedlings in the pic also. I'm not growing anything uber awesome, just some jalapeno, poinsettia hot peppers and I just started some pepperoncini 2 days ago.

Question, when do I (or should I) fertilize these guys? First time ever starting from seed. Everyone's seedlings look great. Good luck!

~Viv

o

• Posted by gjcore 5 South Aurora Co. (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 7, 14 at 15:15

Nice pics everyone.

I thought I might be starting a bit early as peppers can't go into the garden here until about 3rd week of May. Just got all my containers filled with ProMix HP and seeds in the last couple days. So nothing growing yet but here's my pic:

photo DSCN0309_zps0a21f167.jpg

This post was edited by gjcore on Fri, Feb 7, 14 at 17:20

o

So much fun seeing everyone's photos! I haven't grown peppers in a long time, but want to do a raised bed with peppers this year.

I have a question about heat mats. I have never purchased one - I understand the pots need to be on the mats until they germinate. Do they stay on them after that? Also, they are pricey - and if I start the amount of seeds I would like to, they wont fit on one mat. Heating pads are quite a bit cheaper - wondering if they would work but worry about electrical problems. What do you do if you don't want to buy a half dozen mats to grow seeds on? Would appreciate any advice on this!

Two more questions.....when exactly do you start fertilizing the germinated seedlings and with what? And how long do you leave the lights on the seedings? All the time or just a certain number of hours per day?

Thanks for any advice - really enjoy the photos and comments!
Judith

o

Hi Judith,

Regarding heating mats, you can remove your pots once they germinate. Whether they're pricy or not is all relative. You can get a single tray mat at Amazon for $24.95 (link below). You can also purchase double and quadruple mats as well. Do a search on Amazon for "seed heating mats", I find they have really competitive pricing. Note, heating pads for personal use are not water proof/resistant so getting them wet may pose a shock hazard!

With respect to feeding, when a seed sprouts it unfolds it's seed or cotyledon leaves. Over the coming days a set of true leaves will form and then another set. At this point it doesn't hurt to start giving them a very weak feeding, say a 5 to 1 diluted 10-10-10 fertilizer (so 2-2-2). As the plant grows you can slowly increase the strength.

I personally leave my lights on for 15 hours off for 9.

Bill

Here is a link that might be useful: Single heating mat

o

Fri, Feb 7, 14 at 18:10

What ottawapepper said. But I would add that if you use a heating mat, I suggest that you go ahead and get a thermostat for it. Otherwise, you run a good risk of cooking your seedlings.
Here is a photo of mine. I also have a separate thermometer as backup to double check the thermostat.
I normally keep a humidity dome on the seedling tray but it is removed in the photo. The discrepency in the thermostat temp and the thermometer temp is due to me installing the thermometer just recently and it hasn't caught up to the real temp of the soil yet. But this shows the heat mat with the thermostat. They are both HydroFarm brand and can be found on Amazon.com and several other online outlets. I believe my heat mat size is 20x20.
Bruce

o

Good catch Bruce, I should have also suggested a thermostat.

Yes, your mat is 20x20... I remember when you ordered it. Your other thermometer is a refrigerator / freezer model ;-)) Same as mine.

Bill

p.s. Thanks for the seeds friend!

This post was edited by ottawapepper on Fri, Feb 7, 14 at 19:08

o

Fri, Feb 7, 14 at 19:38

No problem ottawa, get them in some soil and lets see some pics.
Bruce

o

Thanks so much for the advice! Helps a lot to know that once seeds germinate, I can remove the heat mat and put it on other germinating seeds. Not being chinchy about the cost of a mat - just wasn't sure if I was going to have to buy mats for all the seeds I am germinating! I also grow daylily seeds and it will be fun to put them on the mat to speed germination. I am going to a really great garden supply store in Houston on Sunday - Southwest Fertilizer. They have everything a gardener could want - bet they will have heat mats. Get my rose fertilizer there for the year as its 15% off for rose members for the week. Maybe can include the heat mat.

What temperature should I set the heat mat at?

I use a hydrogen peroxide/distilled water mix to soak my daylily seeds to speed germination. Has anyone ever tried this with pepper seeds?

I am new to the pepper forum, just found it and will be checking it often. I love peppers. Want to grow some hard to find squash peppers - they make the best vinegar pepper sauce. Looking forward to trying all different kinds I have ordered - and SW Fertilizer has lots of different pepper starts, so will be getting some of those.

Thanks again for the great advice!
Judith

o

Fri, Feb 7, 14 at 20:47

Seed mat temp: I suggest 83 degrees.

Many people soak their pepper seeds prior to planting. I dont and I dont think a Hydro/distilled water solution would hurt them at all. Just don't go too heavy on the Hydro peroxide.

If you are looking for any specific pepper seed varieties, just ask on the forum here. Most of the time another member will have them and offer to send some for a self addressed stamped envelope.

Good luck and post some pictures when you get a chance.
Bruce

o

This is my first year starting from seeds. Right now I have my peppers and Tomatoes started indoors under grow lights. I know some are leggy I need to upgrade to 4 light fixtures. But other than that they are doing ok so far. I have some super hots, hots, mild and sweets as well as about 12 tomato types.

o

Black knights poppin'! Very pretty

o

Where are the rest of pictures, fellows ?

I have started about 14 varieties, so far. Maybe 2 more . I am trying to keep them growing slower, as I have plenty of time til plant out. Then I have to make room for the matoes, in couple of weeks too.
Our day length is about 10 hrs. and the Sun angle / altitude is about 28 degrees. Not much help there on top of being cloudy most of the time.

I like to see some green picture.(grin )

o

Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 17:35

seysonn: I only have had my seeds in for 4 days, so no green yet. Hopefully, in 3-4 more days, I will have some green to post.
Bruce

o

No one wants to see my soil pictures :) I have 140 planted with very little Green right now.

Bill

o

Hi, Bruce and Bill,
Ok. So the work is in process. We shall wait and wish you best of luck in the mean while. We, the people, up north got plenty of time until the sun straightens up its act and axis.(Grin)

o

4 cotys ?

o

OKgrowing ... very good. They all look good.
What are the varieties you have there ?

o

Hey!

I started most of those on 1/20/14
I feel like I'm behind compared to the rest of you! That's only about half of what I've got going and I'm starting more. I'm pretty new with starting from seed, it seems to be going well!

I've got the following seeds going, and I live in Arlington Texas 8a--not sure if I've selected good seeds for my area.

Early Jalapeno
California Wonder
Purple Beauty
Santaka
Black Banjo
and others--I actually got my labels mixed up so I'm not sure what some of them are.

Here's a full list of my seeds this year. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvLSk6VJHm_ndEt2bDBuSy1RakZhYXZoR2I0QXpGY0E&usp=sharing

o

February 11 here, and so 42 days after I seeded my yearly peppers. Here are about half of them under one of my grow lights. This light is raised for the picture, it's normally about 1" above the crowns of the plants. For this particular light, I've found that to be just about right. These are repotted up to one-gallon pots, I'll leave them like that for another 40-ish days before repotting them to five gallon pots in preparation for the garden.

o

Syntria, those seedlings are looking good. The multi-leafed one down on the lower left, 2nd from left in the first row, almost looks like a flower seedling (a cosmo). Which type of pepper is it?

James

o

Tue, Feb 11, 14 at 21:47

OK, quick update after just 5 days. I have Uba Tuba's, Twilights, Black Pearls, and Aji Limons popping already. The Uba Tubas popped yesterday.
Bruce

o

Very nice, Bruce! Kudos again on your very clear and unique printout to label the cells. I want to grow aji limon next year, so I'll be very interested to see your results with them this year. Please post often :)

James

o

Feeling a little discouraged right now...I thought I wasn't supposed to start pepper seed until Feb., so I dutifully waited & now am still impatiently waiting for them to emerge.
So, no pictures.
But should I have started the seeds earlier? Everywhere I looked said to wait until February.
So jealous right now.

o

Impressive Syntria and bham-,. Bruce, off to a good start I like your organization, instead of planting sticks in the tray, you printed charts:LOL.
Shem, be patient. It is just the right timing around here in PNW to start germinating peppers. Probably they wont go outside till mid April anyway. That is more than 8 weeks away.

I predict that is going to be a heck of HOT season.hehe

o

Wish I had kept up with my seedlings like esox! I started to but didn't keep up with it, and now I actually don't know what a few of my peppers are. All my cups have labels on them now but...a few of them I'm not positive on which pepper they are!

Also there are tomatoes and flowers mixed in yes, bham_gardener! Good eye but those really don't look much like peppers, haha. Marigolds of various types and milkweed for the monarchs. Its all kind of mixed in--I am looking at you guys and so much order I don't have!

Just started another set of Santaka seeds, my last set grew mold--not sure if still viable. Thoughts? Not to hijack the thread, meep!

o

• Posted by Syntria 8a Texas Arlington (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 9:32

Don't be discouraged shermthewerm! Depends on where you are, I'm in Texas so I can plant in the ground in March if I'm really ambitious, maybe April.

If your further north, your still okay. You could plastic bag and damp paper towel germinate some seeds now to get them going (maybe somewhere they are at least 75 degrees or warmer to make them germinate faster, I think 85 would be good but careful to not get much hotter). You should see germination in 7-12 days that way, then you can plant them. Just be sure to keep the seedlings really close to your lights, I made the mistake of having them too far away so they got leggy. Where do you live shermthewerm?

o

Thanks for the reassurance, Seysonn & Syntria!
I'm in Portland, OR so I usually don't get to plant my peppers until mid to end of May.
I haven't started anything indoors for about 10 years, but got really ambitious this year & bought an indoor light set-up & am determined to start everything from seed.
Started my peppers on Feb. 1, and haven't had any germinate. Seeing all of these pictures, and comparing them to my flats is making me anxious!

o

• Posted by Syntria 8a Texas Arlington (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 11:24

Peppers can take 10-20 days to germinate, they germinate faster at temps of 75-85. (First year starting peppers from seeds too!). Some of them take foreeever it feels like. Be sure to keep the lights -right on the plants-. A mistake I made, had them 6'' to a foot away. Even in my picture, the lights might not be close enough. I have them tilted on one end on the smaller seedlings and higher on the other end for the tall ones.

You have plenty of time. Many peppers recommend starting 8-12 weeks before last frost.

I have some seedlings I started on the 27th, Peppers, and they are just barely sprouted. I also didn't use a heating mat on those (moved into a new house between Feb 1st-until now, my poor seedlings), which I think it sped them up but avoid domes since they promote fungus--or at least only use them until you see some leaves then get it off!

o

> "What temperature should I set the heat mat at?"

85F is what I hear, but you're likely safe up to 90F or more. If you have a probe thermometer you can check the soil temp at the seed, which may be considerably different from the setting.

> "I use a hydrogen peroxide/distilled water mix to soak my daylily seeds to speed germination. Has anyone ever tried this with pepper seeds"

I do the same for dried seed - soak overnight, then into a paper towel. And I use 3% hydrogen peroxide sans souci throughout the soaking / germinating phase and into the starter tray. I can't swear that it does any good, but it certainly does no harm.

Dennis

o

> "Just started another set of Santaka seeds, my last set grew mold--not sure if still viable. Thoughts?"

I've had seeds mold immediately upon getting wet, then germinate and grow as if nothing was wrong (though I do use hydrogen peroxide that supposedly suppresses the mold). Others have molded without sprouting immediately and they are problematic.

Once the mold gets into the interior of the seed it's all over. When the germ turns black, pitch it. If you start multiple of one type, one may go bad while the others still have a chance.

So moldy seeds doesn't mean that they aren't viable. Give them some time and see what happens.

Dennis

o

Here's a photo of mine, north side of greenhouse.
Pam

o

and south side of greenhouse.
Pam

o

and the ones in the sunroom, because of the cold I have divided my greenhouse in 1/2 to conserve heat and therefore ran out of room, hope to put them out there in the next few days and hope the temps stay above 20 degrees.
Pam

o

Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 19:22

Pam:
You better get busy or you won't have any peppers this summer. Looks like you only have a small portion of your plants for this year.
Photobucket
Bruce

I take it that you actually sell some of those plants or at least sell the produce from them. Either that, or you need to see a doctor.
"Step away from the fertilizer".

This post was edited by esox07 on Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 19:24

o

LOL. Bruce. Pam, that is amazing. Of course with a greenhouse and sunroom you are well prepared. But still, thats a lot of work.

Tim, seems that you need to get a new thread going, due to the overwhelming participation.

o

Hey Bruce. Yep, I sell the plants at the local herb festivals (it's great fun) but I do NOT and I have no plans to sell the produce, that's just way too much work. Well, maybe when I retire and have more time I might consider it, but that's many years away. This already is too much work. ;-) It's possible I still need to see a doctor. ;-)

No fooling it's a lot of work. I started germinating mid Nov, I finished the last of my seeds last weekend, and right now I don't care if they germinate or not, I am through for the season. ;-)

Lets just hope things start warming up soon I'm tired of trying to keep plants in the greenhouse from freezing.

And I love your Twilight Bruce, gorgeous. I used to think the Bolivian Rainbow was my favorite, but I think the Twilight has edged past it... btw, what are those bottles you have a pic of above? some kind of beer? I can't read the names. If it's beer is sure is dark, I love dark beer.

Pam

o

Thu, Feb 13, 14 at 1:07

Pam, that was just a photo I grabbed off google images. hahhaha.

o

Oh, that is so rotten! ;-) That looked so good.

btw, here's another photo, same greenhouse but during the single digit temperatures a couple of weeks ago.
Pam

o

Here's a few update pics. It's been a few weeks and the kids are growing!

Tim

o

Another shot.

Tim

o

From the side.

Tim

o

One for size reference.

Tim

o

Ya, Tim, about that "novice" in your GW name, very misleading.

Great looking "pro" starts, very nice!

I'm looking forward to following your future 2014 grow thread.

Bill

o

Thanks Bill. You guys can take a lot of credit for my success.

Tim

o

Thu, Feb 13, 14 at 22:05

novice, those really are nice looking little fellas. Cant really call them seedlings any more. Very healthy looking.
Bruce

o

Tim, what are you using for fertilizer? Those plants look amazing

o

Haha, well not sure if this really qualifies as a seedling, since I planted this Dorset Naga (?) in the basement last July and it has been there ever since... but I do plan to keep it alive until spring 2014 and then plant it outdoors to see how it does in zone 3. Anyway, this pic taken 2 weeks ago, growing in a 6" pot...
 photo Feb114Naga4.jpg

o

Here some of my seedlings first time ever growing not sure what they are suppose to be like any tips would be great. The close is one browning on the edges what's the reason for that?

o

Browned off one

o

Morugaman..... I've fertilized twice. Once with a fish emulsion, and once with Miracle Grow liqua feed. I use at a quarter to a half strength. They are also in a mix I made which includes dolomitic lime and Osmocote fertilizer.
Jarryd..... Your seedlings seem to be a bit leggy. Do you have them under lights? If so, the lights need to be 2 to 4 inches away if they are fluorescent lights.
Everyone's plants are looking great. That Dorset Naga is beautiful Don. Have you tried a pepper off of it yet? I was wondering how the heat compares to an outdoor/summer plant.

Tim

o

That naga looks mighty fine indeed!

o

Nah I don't have them under lights can you get away with not having lights? I was a bit unsure on how they were suppose to look at this stage.. They germinated in 6 days so I thought they were going pretty good but by the looks of it they are quite tall. If I got a light would one fluorescent be ok
Thanks

o

Should I replant them in plastic cups with soil nearly up to there leaves?

o

Fri, Feb 14, 14 at 20:52

You need lights. The least expensive solution would probably be a 4 foot shop light with two T8 or T12 bulbs. Keep in mind that as your plants grow, they will need a lot more room and enough light now will not be so in a month or two. You can always add another bank of shop lights if necessary later on. But, yes, unless they get some decent sunlight, they need artificial lights. I would suggest Daylight or 6500K bulbs. If you don't get them light soon, they will continue to grow tall and skinny and eventually will wind up with weak enough stems that they simply topple over unless they wind up dying before then.
Bruce
Bruce

o

Fri, Feb 14, 14 at 20:54

You dont need to replant them right now, but soon you should. And yes, at that time, you should probably plant them a bit deeper. But not up to the leaves. Maybe 1/4 to 1/3 deeper than they are now.
Bruce

o

Fri, Feb 14, 14 at 20:56

Don: That is an awful nice looking Dorsett Naga. Especially for one grown indoors. That is going to be nice in June when you get it outside. It will probably take another step up in niceness when you do.
Bruce

o

Yer iv been trying to give them daylight but I think it's to hot because the leaves start to curl and shrivel so I take them out of the sun. It's about 30 degrees Celsius here I eventually want to just grow them outside but is it to early to put them outside?

o

Fri, Feb 14, 14 at 21:31

30 degrees celcius is about 86 Farenheit. That is pretty warm for seedlings and those little cells will probably dry out in hours in sunny heat like that. I would keep them inside but with artificial light for a while yet. Soon you will need to replant them and then soon after that, I would put them outside in the shade to start with for just a few hours early or late in the day. Then gradually move them to more and more light for longer times until you can plant them in the ground or in large containers for the summer.
Where are you at where it is that warm? I haven't seen 0 Celcius for over two weeks here.

Bruce

o

I'm in Perth Australia so it's middle of summer at the moment

o

Fri, Feb 14, 14 at 23:34

OK, that makes sense. I kind of thought you were from south of the equator.
Bruce

o

Ok so I got myself a light and got them in a shady place with not much wind. I replanted them all in plastic cups. So hopefully that will help them and they will grow a bit less leggy.

o

Got some tomatoes in there as well but labeled all the cups.

o

:( I started these ~ a week ago a/ nothing. Of course two days after I planted them GA got the snow/ice apocalypse a/ the day temp has yet to get over 50. (just my luck) As result I can't get the base of my grow house >60. Last year I had no problem b/c the grow house was indoors; however, this year I moved it to garage (non temp controlled) to get the house out of the way. It's a 4x4 x7 grow house.

Part of the problem is that the house is sitting directly on the garage floor. I am going to get a piece of plywood today a/ slide under house in an effort to keep base warmer since it won't be directly on concrete floor anymore. Plus with it sitting directly on floor, I don't feel comfy turning a fan on them a/or opening ventilation flaps in an effort to try a/ maintain as much heat as poss.

I have them sitting under a Virtual Sun 2-Ft 6 Lamp Veg Vegetation T5 HO Fluorescent, (roughly 2ft above plants); however, i just can't them warm enough.

I am starting to get a little worried b/c I don't have a single sprout (which I know is temp related). My worry is that if these don't start popping up soon that I will have to restart b/c these seeds may have been wasted.

Thoughts from the crew...

o

Sat, Feb 15, 14 at 8:46

Yep, I am sure the temps are affecting the germination. Whether it is delaying it or aborting it altogether is unclear however.
I suggest a couple solutions. First, you don't need light right now, just heat. Light is only necessary after they sprout.

Some suggestions: You could put a small heater fan in there. I use one in my mini green house in the spring that keeps the night time temps above 50. It runs on a thermostat so it doesn't run constant and only comes on when necessary. Another solution would be to add heat mats under the seedlings. I am not sure how big that grow house is, but they make the heat mats in several sizes. Or, you could install some heat producing lights above the plants which will provide heat to the seedlings.
I would give them another 2-3 days. If NOTHING pops by then, I don't think they will. They may still germinate later if you provide heat though, but at that point, I would start over.
Bruce

o

Heat mat wise I would need 4'x4'. Little pricey at that size.

I took a piece of plywood, cut in half, stacked that under grow house to get it off the concrete floor. Wrapped the plywood in a packing blanket.

Bought two 300 watt heating lamps w/ 250 watt infrared heat bulbs. Hoping that will get something moving in next 3-4 days.

Bruce - To your point, If I don't see any action shortly then I will trash this group a/ restart. Pray no more snow/ice apocalypse shows up.

o

Sat, Feb 15, 14 at 13:02

Those heat bulbs should be plenty if the little grow house you have is enclosed. Just make sure you have some kind of thermometer in there so that you don't cook them.
Bruce

o

Good call Bruce. I bought a combo temp/humidity gauge a/ put it in there.

Also bought a time for the heat lamps. Figure fo 8 on a/ 2 off a/ see how that does controlling temp

o

Just started up 9 more varieties of seeds:

Trinidad Scorpion Moraga
Yellow Bhut Jolokia
Congo Trinidad
Chinese 5 Color
Bonda Ma Jacques
Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
Twilight
Chocolate Scotch Bonnet
Takanotsume

Huge thank you to ottawapepper for providing the seeds!

I'll be sure to get some pictures up once these guys start sprouting.

o

First off, there are a lot of nice seedlings out there. And the heat is on to germinate and grow more. I am soaking 3 more varieties that I got the seeds from Leaf/Erickson. Thanks Eric.

Second, I believe that if we had to grade and vote for the best bunch of seedling, TIM is the winner. So I suggest that we put to vote and ask him to change his GW user name to "PEPPERPRO"
frome "peppernovice".

KEEP THE HEAT ON !

o

It's hard to call a winner when not everyone post pics. I appreciate the vote, but trust me, I am a novice. There are far more experienced guys and gals on here. I try to read everyday. There is so much to learn. I think one thing that has helped this year is mixing my own soil. I used Miracle Grow germinating mix initially, but for my second pot up I used some Fafard 3b mixed with perlite, peatmoss, osmocote, and dolomitic lime. It seems the plants really liked the mix. I also fertilized earlier than I ever have. Don't be afraid to give a shot of fertilizer after they start getting true leaves, Just make sure you dilute it. I just hope the more experienced people here continue to share their knowledge. I don't want to name them for fear I'll leave someone out, but we all know who they are.
Hopefully everyone keeps posting their pics. I love seeing everyone's techniques and results.

Tim

o

I have about 15 ghost peppers sprouted with two leaves they are in MG starting mix, I have some long maturity tomatoes that I started at the same time, when I moved them from the seed cells the starting mix was very dry at the root zone, the surface looked moist but the roots were not. I am assuming my peppers are in the same situation, my question is do I need to wait until the true leaves develop before I transplant them into there own container with better mix? I am going to fill the tray with water and see if the mix will wick it up. I started some Serrano this morning in DE, first time using DE so I am all ears on your thoughts, I am a newbe with peppers so please advise. I am headed out for pics of my seed starting set up so don't laugh when I post them. Thanks

o

Here is some pics of my set up, feel free to critique.

o

Ghost peppers

o

You can go ahead and pot up if you feel your soil is suspect. I start 2 or 3 seeds per cell, and pot them up to individual containers when they are around that size.

Tim

o

Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 13:04

If you set your starter cells into a shallow tray of water, they will wick up water from the bottom. I would do that. I also would hesitate to transplant them until they get a bit bigger. At least a set of true leaves. Right now they are pretty fragile. But, if you feel the soil is a problem, then it would be wise to get them switched over right away.
Bruce

o

Thanks Tim that is just what I will do today, otherwise it is going to bug me to death I just want to get away from the peat based stuff, if the DE doesn't pan out I have some pine bark fines that I may screen across a 8 mesh and see how that does. Thanks for the help!

o

Thanks esox07 lol I have them soaking now, like I responded to peppenivice if I lift one out in about an hour and the soil is still dry I will move all of them over.

o

Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 13:16

Don't soak them for a whole hour! If they soil doesn't wick up with in a minute or two, it likely will not. I set mine in pan of water and the water wicks up within seconds. I used MG Seed starting mix in the little cells like yours.
Bruce

o

Ok Bruce its been awhile so I will check, thanks for the help I will keep you guys posted.

o

Just wondering what the slight browning on the side of the leaves is from?
They are looking a bit healthier since I put them under a light.
Jarryd

o

Also should just leave the light on then 24/7 or is good to have it off for a bit?
Thanks Jarryd

o

Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 20:59

jarrydleestewart:
I think that is caused by you looking at them too much. No, seriously, that seedling looks like it is doing fine and I wouldn't be concerned about it. Sometimes we expect our plants to be perfect. They never are and any flaw we find immediately raises concerns that something is seriously wrong. The longer/more often we look, the more "problems" we will find.
Good luck and I expect to see a picture of that plant in September with bright red fruit hanging all over it.
As far as the light goes, I suggest 12-18 hours. 24/7 just isnt natural for Pepper plants.
Bruce

This post was edited by esox07 on Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 21:01

o

Haha I broke my hand so I'm off work at the moment so got too much time on my hands. Thanks

o

First hooks of the 2014 season.
2014 pepper seedlings photo DSCN1275_zpsc1d231bf.jpg

these are the varieties that I am growing this year;

7-Pot (Infinity)
7-Pot (Jonah)
7-Pot (White)
7-Pot Bubblegum
7-Pot Burgundy (long)
7-Pot Burgundy (short)
Aconcagua
Aji Golden
Aji Mirasol
Aji Rocoto
Aji Russian Yellow
Ancho Poblano
Bahamian Goat Pepper
Bhut Indian Carbon
Bhut Jolokia (Peach)
Bhut Jolokia (Purple)
Bhut Jolokia (White)
Bhutlah
Big Jim
Blondie
Bode
Boldog
Budai Csipos
C. Rhomboidium
Cacho de Cabra
Calusa Indian Mound
CAP 1479
CAP 1481
CAP 503
Capezzoli di Scimmia
Carolina Reaper
CGN 21500
CGN 21566
CGN 21582
CGN 22095
CGN 22208
CGN 22834
CGN 22871
CGN 23769
Cherry Bomb
Chile Blanco
Chilhaucle Negro
Chiltepe
Chimayo
Chocolate Barrackpore
Costeno Amarillo
Cow Horn (red)
Cveta Hot (f-1)
Cveta Hot (f-2)
Giant Mexican Rocoto
GRIF 9198
GRIF 9223
Habanero Amarillo
Habanero Costa Rica ?
Habanero Guadaloupe
Habanero Long Chocolate
Habanero Luciferino
Habanero Peruvian White
Habanero Solar Flare
Holland Hot Finger
Jalapeno Biker Billy's
Jalapeño Guachingo
Jalapeño Jalaro
Jalapeño Mucho Nacho
Jalapeño Stuard
Jimmy Nardello
Kisser
Limo Blanco
Manzano (red)
Marconi (red)
Medusa
Monkey Face
Mulato
Naga Viper
Ndungu
NuMex Sandia
Patuljak Midget
PI 159259
PI 159263
PI 257142
PI 260521
PI 260523
PI 439443
PI 441629
PI 585261
Pimento Pequillo
Pimento Picon
Purple UFO
Quadrato Giallo D' Asti
Safi Red
Samborka Yellow Hot
SB7J
Scorpion (Butch T)
Scorpion (chocolate)
Sport
Starburst
Super Datil
Super Pube
Teapot Orange
Tolito
Trifetti
Wailua
Yellow Naga

Tried to put in a double column format but it pasted in single column.

o

Mon, Feb 17, 14 at 15:31

Only those serious about growing peppers are allowed to post in this thread. thepodpiper, I think you are pushing the threshold. If you add one or two more varieties, I think we can allow it.
Photobucket
Bruce

o

There is more. Most r just ones from my collection that got low on quantity from trading and the chinenses that I will be growing. The ones I will plant on the 1st of March will be all annuums. There will be over 2000 plants and most will be sold.

o

getting bigger

o

Looking good OKgrowin.

Podpiper.....Do you sleep? That's an impressive list. There's a couple on there I would like to have. Hit me up when you harvest seeds. Maybe I'll have something you don't, but after seeing that list, I doubt it.

Tim

o

OKgrown, Those are some nice and healthy looking seedlings.

Podpiper : Bless ! Even though you are going to sell most but that is impressive to me. Last count I will have just about 20 varieties, about one or two plants of each. I am just trying to germinate the last 3. I predict that it is going to be a HOT season. LOL

o

I"m only growing 3 plants of each variety that I am harvesting seeds from and the plants that sell will be numerous quantities. Tomatoes is where the money is so that is where the plant numbers get out of control. Even though I sell plants now, it is very much an addiction to grow these and many other vegetables…I can't stop.

2 years ago I had 250 varieties of peppers and 100 varieties of heirloom tomatoes in my garden. My garden is 150' long and 50' wide the width grows by about 3-4 ft a year.

When my wife leaves for the day in the spring I just move the fence out and till the grass before she gets home.

o

thepodpiper, Thank You!

My GF thinks I'm crazy growing 48 varieties this year. I just showed her your list and said...

"See, I'm not that bad, there are crazier pepper growers than me out there! Aren't you glad you don't live with this guy? Kinda makes you appreciate me more doesn't it.

I got a ya right look. My pillow isn't on the sofa yet though!

o

Mon, Feb 17, 14 at 18:06

podpiper:

Garden or "Back 40"?

Bruce

o

I have not taken many pics the last couple of years but there are a few on the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: garden pics

o

Hello everyone your seedlings all look great! And by reading this post I reilized that I have probably put my seedlings out way to early.
I went straight from peat pellets into my raised bed.and I didnt harden them off will they live. Thanks for the help

o

Hello everyone your seedlings all look great! And by reading this post I reilized that I have probably put my seedlings out way to early.
I went straight from peat pellets into my raised bed.and I didnt harden them off will they live. Thanks for the help

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here