Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
darkfall

Black spots and dead areas

Darkfall
10 years ago

Hey there I'm quite new to this place and was wondering if I could reach out to this community for some help.

I've been growing a chilli for a bit and recently noticed a few changes that's effecting the new leaves.

Firstly, the colour used to be a much more firm green, now it's gradually getting lighter, in somecases moving to yellow. You can see the colour in the image, is there anything wrong there?

But more alarmingly to me is the growth of some black spots on the leaves,
You can see in this picture:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/Defender231/plants/DSC_0002.jpg

That some of leaves have small black dots, and another has a much larger "dead area"

Strangely enough underneath this leaf there is some small white spots that look like mould but after I inspected very closely it seems to be something growing on the leaves.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/Defender231/plants/DSC_0004.jpg

Now...I'm curious if this is one of those non-issues where I'm being too cautious or is something starting up that I need to treat? (I've not had any experiences with pests other than Aphids in the past)

Comments (6)

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

That picture link is for you. It doesn't work for us. Just upload the pic here.

• Darkfall
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry about that, I changed the settings so it should be fine now, however I've attached the images here - unfortunately they are slightly...big.

• Darkfall
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And the other one. Do forgive me if there is a way to upload both into 1 post, I cannot seem to find that option.

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

The little spots could be aphids or whiteflies (ick!). I would spray with insecticidal soap.

The dead area doesn't appear to be an issue. It could be physical damage. Otherwise the leaves look nice and healthy, though it's tough to tell the color.

What soil are they in? Have you been using any fertilizer? If so, how?

Dennis

• Darkfall
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've been using compost that I brought from a supermarket, it's been totally fine with my other plants, no fertilizers yet.

That said, to my eyes the leaves are still loosing their colour and the dead bits is growing more. Any advice on that?

• User
    10 years ago

Darkfall,

First, welcome to the Forum. We're a generally friendly bunch who rarely bite ;-)

Based on the last photo posted it looks like marginal necrosis to me. There are numerous causes most usually related to a nutrient imbalance / deficiency but in your case it may be related to your water.

Are you using tap water to water the plant and if so, do you have high levels of fluoride in your area? The chlorosis extending from the veins and necrotic areas around the edges seem to point to fluoride toxicity.

From the Arizona Co-operative document linked below:

4. Foliar marginal necrosis is the most common symptom of fluoride toxicity along with Chlorosis along and between the veins occurs in fluorine-sensitive plants. With many plants, the marginal necrosis is preceded by the appearance of gray or light-green, water-soaked lesions which later turn tan or reddish-brown. Injury generally occurs at the tips of the leaves first, then moves inward and downward until a large part of the leaf is affected... fluoride excess

You're closest to your plant so have a read through the document and see if any other descriptions better describe the symptoms your plant is exhibiting.

If it was me, I'd hedge my bets and a) flush the potting medium with distilled water; b) give it a light feeding with a general purpose fertilizer that includes micro nutrients and; c) continue using distilled water for this plant until it recuperates.

Bill

Here is a link that might be useful: DIAGNOSING PLANT DAMAGE

This post was edited by ottawapepper on Thu, Feb 27, 14 at 18:16

Sponsored