Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bham_gardener

What are your favorite peppers?

bham_gardener
10 years ago

With so many hot pepper varieties out there, it would take me several lifetimes to try growing them all, but I'm always interested in new varieties.

Some of the ones that I grow year after year:
"Ascent" thai (because they are hot and prolific)
El Jefe jalapeno (because jalapeno!)
Aji Amarillo (makes delicious peruvian sauce)

I'm trying a large variety of other peppers this year for the first time. Which ones do the folks here regrow each year, and why?

Image is jalapenos and thai peppers from 2013.

~James

Comments (12)

• bob_in_pc
    10 years ago

Caribbean Red is a regular for me each year and also Big Jim.

• tomt226
    10 years ago

Chili Tepin & Pequin, which make a great "Texican" sauce.
    What is Peruvian sauce, and can I use Lemon Drops to make it?

• kclost
    10 years ago

I also like the Carribean Red. Huge producer, love making sauce with them and also Pickled Red Onions with Habanero. I put that on everything, sandwiches, tacos, omlets, burgers...

• bham_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

bob_in_pc & kclost, sounds like I need to add Caribbean Red to my grow list. Thanks!

TomT226, the sauce I make is called "Aji Amarillo Sauce" (what a surprise, eh?), and it's a spicy creamy yellow sauce. There's a Peruvian cafe here that serves it with roasted potato slices, but it goes well with almost anything starchy. Lots of recipes for it online. The Aji Amarillo pepper isn't as citrusy as Lemon Drops, so I don't know how well that substitution would work, but maybe it's worth an experiment!

• bob_in_pc
    10 years ago

You won't be disappointed - CR's are very nice as a staple!

• StupidHotPeppers
    10 years ago

Habanero's have great flavor but a lot of heat. Tastes amazing on pizza or in guacamole!

• darkstar22
    10 years ago

Chocolate Habanero. I grew them last year, and have a few this year too.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Hot Hungarian Wax. They are my favorite eating pepper. I am not a "Hot" head so the HHW fits my taste well and I eat them on all my sandwiches. Then, I have taken to growing Numex Twilights every year for the beauty of them. But each year, aside from my regulars, I always grow 4 or 5 new varieties.
    Bruce

• jcav8ter
    10 years ago

Chocolate Habanero
    Datil
    Fish
    Shishito
    Bhut Jolokia
    Fatalli
    Serrano

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

I always got the impression you were a hot head Bruce. ;-)

I don't think I could make a list and not leave something out. I love Tiburons (but they are hybrids)
    Serranos (Make a good hot sauce when they turn red and soft)
    biker billy
    tabasco
    Pimento de Padron
    Beaver dam
    kung pao (another hybrid)
    pasilla bajio
    guajillo
    lemon drops

• seysonn
    10 years ago

On the WILD side I like Habanero.

On the MILD side : Jalapeno, Manzano, Hungaria. HW,

On the sweet side: Cubanelle, Banana, shishito,

I am going to grow few more that I have not yet tasted but I like them from research:

• ausome
    10 years ago

as far as Supers Go the yellow variant of the bhut white sri lanka i have tops my list

The hot on my list would b the true Datil you know the that comes from St Augustine not some knock of cross that kind of taste like it

Mild would have to be the New Mex Las Cruces

and as far as a Sweet Hands down would be the sweet Datil I cant get enough of them