Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are your favorite peppers?

Posted by bham_gardener 8a (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 13, 14 at 13:18

With so many hot pepper varieties out there, it would take me several lifetimes to try growing them all, but I'm always interested in new varieties.

Some of the ones that I grow year after year:
"Ascent" thai (because they are hot and prolific)
El Jefe jalapeno (because jalapeno!)
Aji Amarillo (makes delicious peruvian sauce)

I'm trying a large variety of other peppers this year for the first time. Which ones do the folks here regrow each year, and why?

Image is jalapenos and thai peppers from 2013.

~James

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are your favorite peppers?

Caribbean Red is a regular for me each year and also Big Jim.

o

Chili Tepin & Pequin, which make a great "Texican" sauce.
What is Peruvian sauce, and can I use Lemon Drops to make it?

o

I also like the Carribean Red. Huge producer, love making sauce with them and also Pickled Red Onions with Habanero. I put that on everything, sandwiches, tacos, omlets, burgers...

o

bob_in_pc & kclost, sounds like I need to add Caribbean Red to my grow list. Thanks!

TomT226, the sauce I make is called "Aji Amarillo Sauce" (what a surprise, eh?), and it's a spicy creamy yellow sauce. There's a Peruvian cafe here that serves it with roasted potato slices, but it goes well with almost anything starchy. Lots of recipes for it online. The Aji Amarillo pepper isn't as citrusy as Lemon Drops, so I don't know how well that substitution would work, but maybe it's worth an experiment!

o

You won't be disappointed - CR's are very nice as a staple!

o

Habanero's have great flavor but a lot of heat. Tastes amazing on pizza or in guacamole!

o

Chocolate Habanero. I grew them last year, and have a few this year too.

o

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 14, 14 at 18:42

Hot Hungarian Wax. They are my favorite eating pepper. I am not a "Hot" head so the HHW fits my taste well and I eat them on all my sandwiches. Then, I have taken to growing Numex Twilights every year for the beauty of them. But each year, aside from my regulars, I always grow 4 or 5 new varieties.
Bruce

o

Chocolate Habanero
Datil
Fish
Shishito
Bhut Jolokia
Fatalli
Serrano

o

I always got the impression you were a hot head Bruce. ;-)

I don't think I could make a list and not leave something out. I love Tiburons (but they are hybrids)
Serranos (Make a good hot sauce when they turn red and soft)
biker billy
tabasco
Pimento de Padron
Beaver dam
kung pao (another hybrid)
pasilla bajio
guajillo
lemon drops

o

On the WILD side I like Habanero.

On the MILD side : Jalapeno, Manzano, Hungaria. HW,

On the sweet side: Cubanelle, Banana, shishito,

I am going to grow few more that I have not yet tasted but I like them from research:

o

as far as Supers Go the yellow variant of the bhut white sri lanka i have tops my list

The hot on my list would b the true Datil you know the that comes from St Augustine not some knock of cross that kind of taste like it

Mild would have to be the New Mex Las Cruces

and as far as a Sweet Hands down would be the sweet Datil I cant get enough of them

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here