Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alameda_gw

Best Peppers for Vinegar Pepper Sauce

What peppers are best for making the vinegar pepper sauce to put on greens, peas, etc? I use and love Squash peppers but would like to expand my collection and would appreciate opinions. Thanks!
Judith

Comments (10)

• User
    10 years ago

Hi,

If by vinegar pepper sauce you mean something like Franks, then Cayenne peppers are generally used. Based on how mild or hot you like it, I don't see any reason why you couldn't use any pepper.

A couple of years ago I whipped up a batch of copycat Franks for my step daughter. If you're interested see link below for recipe / pictures. It starts a post or two into the thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: vinegar pepper sauce

• TNKS
    10 years ago

Use rice vinegar for better "pepper"flavor in your sauces
    Cut the vinegar volume by 1/3rd or so and recover liquid volume with distilled water.
    Learned this many years ago and stuff just taste better.
    Save the white vinegar for cleaning your coffee pot :)

• sjetski
    10 years ago

Also, you can try blending different pepper types, it tends to create a richer, more complex flavor.

The same applies to tomatoes btw.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Agree with Steve.
    Choice of hot pepper is mostly the question of availability and personal taste with me. I usually do with Habanero, plus red jalapeno, red/orange bell pepper(as filler). The last time I also added some fresh pineapple. The color goes well with habanero plus adds fruity flavor to it. .

• TNKS
    10 years ago

If doing the fruity side use equal parts cider and rice vinegars

• tomt226
    10 years ago

Since I live over here in Bastrop county Texas, I know what you're talking about. The native Tepin peppers are what I use, with a Ghost stuck in the bottle to give it a little more kick. I just use white vinegar and let it sit for a couple of weeks in the fridge. A habanero or two works fine in there too. Puncture the habs for quicker results.
    I'm ready for a bit mess of pressure-cooker collards right now. Only takes 30 minutes...

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

This last summer I didn't have any sauce and really wanted some, but no tabascos were ready yet, but, I had some soft red serranos, and some peters, and some pequins. I just threw them all in and wow, I think I prefer that to tabasco sauce. The flavor is really great, and a beautiful bright red color.
    Pam

• tn_gardening
    10 years ago

Tabasco peppers are used in a good deal of the commercial Peppers in Vinegar sauces out there.

If I were making my own, I'd just go with whatever sort of hot pepper I could find (serrano, jalapeno, habanero, etc.) or grow.

• mswiggi
    10 years ago

Thanks for the post ottawapepper, I freaking love Frank's Red Hot!

• jtight
    10 years ago

Pick a pepper a/ do it. I typically make mine hot (i.e., Ghost peppers, Scorpion peppers, etc.); however, I have found, through expiramentation, you can turn just about any pepper into a sauce.

As mentioned in thread you can go w/ a little fruit to cut heat a/ add add'l flavors or try cutting it w/ tomato puree a/ honey. It's really personal taste a/or what you intend to use it for.

For "greens" my suggestion would be a cayenne/tabasco blend (2:1 ratio) cut w/ vinegar (white distilled), salt, a/ little sugar to even out the heat. After you make it let it sit fod ~3-5 days before use. Of course be sure to shake the sauce prior to usage.

Sponsored