Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Serrano and Jalapeno plants

Posted by atxman Austin, TX (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 13, 13 at 14:31

So, I checked out my garden yesterday and noticed that the bare sticks that used to be my serrano plants and jalapeno plants have sprouted leaves. One has a lot of foliage growing. It is odd because I was gonna yank them out of the ground and replace with new ones when Home Depot begins to sell them. I know that winter has been practically non-existent here, is there anything that I should do to ensure that they are not damaged by this week's cold weather? Does this mean that I may be 30 - 50 days away from peppers?

Thx

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Serrano and Jalapeno plants

• Posted by teyo 8a (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 13, 13 at 14:52

Looking at the snowstorm outside, i just can't feel sympathetic with your problems :)))

Cover them with straw, or that fabric used to protect crops from frost, i don't know the english name. If they're small enough a plastic jug will do too.

o

Cool, I should think you'll get a good jump on the season if they make it. I think teyo is thinking of row cover, which comes in various degrees of frost protection. How cold is it supposed to get, maybe someone who knows a little more can tell you if you need to do anything if we know how cold your "cold weather" is. :)

o

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 13, 13 at 17:25

Yep, cover them with something. Tarp or blanket. The heat in the ground will keep them several degrees warmer than the outside air and it would prevent frost from forming on them if it gets that cold. Also, buckets of any type will work too as long as they are just sticks right now. Yep, you will likely be picking some ripe pods when a lot of us are just getting ours outside for the summer.
Bruce

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here