Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing from Seed- When to start fertilizing

Posted by skycopp Maryland -7a (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 12, 12 at 14:33

Need help from the experts here. I have about 15 different varieties of peppers under some grow lights (t5) that I started from seeds. Some have just barely poked thru, I have a few (that I planted earlier) that are already 3 inches tall.
These are all in 'seed starter' type of mix in plastic cups. At what point should I start fertilizing?
I have some Osmocote granules, but I just ordered the Dyna-gro Foliage Pro 9-3-6 that seems to be popular with some folks on the 'Container Gardening' forum.
Thanks in advance!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing from Seed- When to start fertilizing

Skycopp,

When I grow peppers, I usually let them grow at least 1 foot, to prevent the fertilizer burn the new born plant. I start fertilizing just before transplanting outside to prevent "too much" stress all at once.

Since the plant will only start yielding peppers until transplant, there is really not much point of fertilizing before.

Thats how I do it, and I bet others do it differently but has always worked for me. Ask away if u got more questions. :)

o

I guess we all do it differently... I'd start fertilizing lightly when they were 2" or 3" tall, and re-fertilize lightly every 2-3 weeks.

o

If I am using potting mixture without fertilizer I start with a half strength solution of orchid fert when the seedlings are up. After I transplant into the garden I fertliize lightly once with 6-6-6 or 10-10-10 about 3 weeks after they are in the ground. Be careful not to get the garden fert directly on the seedlings.
John A

o

I start my seeds in a seed starter mix which appears to be basically nothing but peat with some grit mixed in. Can't be any useable nutrients in that stuff, so I mix up some dilute micronutrient fertilizer as soon as they sprout just so they have something to eat.

o

It depends on whether your potting soil has nutrient or not. I usually use home made soil less mix that has no nutrient. In this case, I usually start with 1/4 strength feed once a couple sets of true leaves come up, and then ramp up as the plant gets larger.

Many premade soils have fertilizer in them that can sustain the plant until transplant. Make sure you understand what is in your soil.

o

After the second set of true leaves I apply a starter fertilizer and continue to water with it every other time

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here