Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thismembername

fermentation seed saving

thismembername
11 years ago

I just wanted to make sure im not missing anything. I do ferment my tomato seeds, however Ive been reading about a number of people that also ferment their pepper seeds.

Does anyone here do this. Do you have a better germ rate?

http://youtu.be/l-XCWo7s8jM

Here is a link that might be useful: vid

Comments (8)

• nc_crn
    11 years ago

Fermenting pepper seeds makes very little sense. Dry...rinse with a 10% bleach/water solution if disease is in question. Fermentation is an extra unneeded (and somewhat unnatural) step for pepper seeds.

• User
    11 years ago

Although peppers and tomatoes are members of the nightshade family, fermentation is not necessary for pepper seeds.

Tomato seeds are enclosed in a gel like sack that contains growth inhibitors, preventing the seeds from sprouting inside the tomato. Fermentation strips away these inhibitors. The fermentation process helps increase germination rates.

Peppers have not evolved the same way. You can harvest seeds and a) germinate them fresh right away or b) thoroughly dry and store them for germination later.

Bill

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

Just for the record, fermentation is a pretty long and nasty way to prepare tomato seeds. Its much faster, much easier, and overall much more pleasant experience to simply use any counter cleaning powder like Comet.

Seed the tomato, put gel-covered seeds in bowl. Mix in cleaning powder until it looks milky. Let sit for 6-8 hours, strain out the seeds, do the float test, then dry and store.

No slimy fermented gunk, and the seeds get disinfected at the same time. I've done that for years with mine and I've had 100% germination rate so far from it (friends I've given seeds to even commented that they ended up with twice as many plants as they wanted because every single seed came up).

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

I never knew that about tomato seeds. Interesting. I would have probably just tried to dry them like I do with pepper seeds.
    Bruce

• spacetogrow
    11 years ago

I've read elsewhere that fermentation is not absolutely necessary for tomatoes either; the germination inhibitor is usually not intensely strong. But it does seem to help kill germs that cause foliar (but not systemic) diseases.

I always ferment me tomato seeds. I'd be concerned that dried goop left on the seeds would attract moisture too easily, increasing the risk of rotting. But the wild fermenting organisms in my house only smell faintly beery. In other places, they can produce a major stink. It's just the luck of the draw. The chemical route to clean tomato seed works also but you have to be careful to not make it too strong.

• rdback
    11 years ago

"Tomato seeds are enclosed in a gel like sack that contains growth inhibitors, preventing the seeds from sprouting inside the tomato."

I also thought this to be true, until a few years ago. Funny, there always seems to be an exception to every rule LOL!

Rick

P.S. This was a store-bought PoS

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

"store bought"

It could be six months old.

• tsheets
    11 years ago

Whoa! That's crazy, Rick!!

Sponsored