Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill_missy

Progress update

Bill_Missy
11 years ago

Hello All,
I am hooked....
Well I thought I would post a few pictures of my current progress from a first timer. I like my progress thus far. I bought another light setup and just finished the frame construction and moving the plants to their new home. I started the larger ones on 12 Jan 13 and the younger ones 25 Jan 13. I am going to sow more later today. I am having great germination; however, I cannot for some reason get my Dorset Naga and Trinidad Douglah's to germinate. Zero out of 10 tries.

Below are some pictures of my babies as of about an hour ago, under their new light and just after a fresh watering. The plants seen are mostly super-hots with some mild hots.
Bill

Comments (24)

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A few Reapers, Pumpkin and Chocolate Hab's, Red Moruga Trinidad Scorpion, Three Bhut Jolokia's

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Some Italian Pepperoncini, Chocolate Fatalii

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A few Alma Paprika, JalapenoâÂÂs, Kochukaru, Red Devils Tongue, Yellow Fatali

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

Nice! I started my older ones about the same time as you did and yours are significantly more developed. Are you using steroids?

As for the Douglahs and Nagas, my first two groups of three seeds seemed reluctant but did eventually germinate 100%. Are you germinating in bags? How long are you leaving them? What temp? Mine have been maintained over 80ð.

I've got another group of 6(?) Douglahs in bag germinating now so maybe the averages will catch up to me...

• t-bones
    11 years ago

looks like your off to a good start.

• thismembername
    11 years ago

is the light a hydrofarm? t5's ?

• peppernovice
    11 years ago

Impressive! I'm about 2 weeks behind you, and my plants don't look anywhere near as good as your's!

Tim

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks guys for the comments.

I am using no ferts at this time. Soil medium is either MG seed starting mix or MG Orchid mix. Lights as of today are 6 T8's. Up until today they have been under T12's.
    No bag germination, just straight into soil and hope for the best. I have been maintaining heat about 80 until they sprout then to light with no heat.

The T8 light is from HD and the T12 light is from Lowes.
    I am really giving no special attention other than watering every third day or so with warm tap water.

I have left the Douglah's and Dorset Naga's for almost 40 days and nothing. Will try some more tonight. Bad batch of seeds I am thinking.

A few of the younger ones have been transplanted into larger cups using Scotts Hydromix potting soil.

Bill

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

P. S.
    Oscillating fan for about a total of 8 hours a day in four hour increments. Light average has been about 16 hours (depending on when I wake up/go to bed etc). No timer as of yet.

• daisydawnny
    11 years ago

Wow! Nice seedlings!

• Dhelsdon
    11 years ago

Looking great Bill!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Great job! :-)

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

> "I have left the Douglah's and Dorset Naga's for almost 40 days and nothing"

Just checked my records. Nagas popped in 5-6 days and Douglahs in 6-8 days. (Meaning I should be planting tomorrow if the second batch follows the pattern.) If your temp is over 80, then you probably have a bad batch of seeds. Did you get mold / fungoids?

Oh, and are you sowing, or using a bag?

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

DMForcier,

No bags, striaght into soil. I am having great germination but not with the Naga's or Douglah's. Has to be suspect seeds. No mold or fungus from what I can tell. I may have to find another source for these seeds as I am having 0% germination.

Bill

• scorpion_john
    11 years ago

Bill, are those the dorset naga and douglah seeds i sent you? Just wondering, cause i have been getting close to 100 percent germination. They shouldn't take 40 days. I soak mine in plain water for 24 hours then plant them in MG on the heating mat. I have had great results with everything i was sent from here, although i have been having trouble with a few varietys i got from pepperlover.com. Anyway, if you need more seed, i have plenty left and would be glad to send you some more. I can't imagine why none of yours came up. The ones DM is talking about are probally seeds i sent him. Let me know if you want more, i got probbally atleast 500 of each left over. John

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

John,

Yes these are from the seeds you sent me. I am not understanding why 0% germination. I have treated them no different from the other seeds. All the other types you sent me are 90-100% germination.

The Bhuts and Fatalis are going crazy. I just planted somemore Naga's and Doughlah's. Will see what happens. I will give these new sowed seeds a try again before I take you up on your offer.

Thanks again,

Bill

• LullabyF360
    11 years ago

Well, Bill, I must say I am very envious. Out of the numerous times this year to grow peppers, the only to survive have been four jalapeno. Once again Lady Luck passes over without batting an eye when it comes to my Bolivian rainbow peppers :( I have tried so many times to grow these & they barely see their second week--IF they even make entirely out of the soil. I have no earthly idea what Is going on with these peppers. I am just about out of seeds. It both annoys me & depresses me that I cannot get these little heathens to grow!!!

Ok, that's enough of my whining. I'm impressed with your peppers.

• cheezdoodle12
    11 years ago

They look great!! Good luck with them!!

• rodnebridges
    11 years ago

Here are what I like to call my "graduates". They are kinda rushed because I went so germination crazy, but once these guys showed true leaves, they went from out from under the lights to the window table which is pretty sunny (west facing ).

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a picture taken a couple hours ago. This picture is 4 days later than the one up above and they are growing crazy. I am very surprised how well they are doing considering they only have had water to this point.

Thanks to all for the great comments, feedback and most importantly sharing yours.... Keep them coming, great thread.

Bill

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Beautiful! Seems they're getting plenty of light.

Josh

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

> "Just checked my records. ... Douglahs [popped] in 6-8 days. (Meaning I should be planting tomorrow if the second batch follows the pattern.)"

Two of the six popped yesterday right on schedule. None today.

Yes, I think these are the seeds scorpion_john sent me. *Excellent" germination rates! (I got some in the swap, but I think I planted s_j's seeds. I'll check and correct if not.)

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am now 0 for 12 on Douglahs and 1 for 12 Naga's. I trashed the last ones today as they hit the 45-46 day mark. I just dont understand. Will try again tonight or tomorrow to re-sow.

Bill

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Bill, you may want to try the damp paper towel in a zip lock bag method. That way you can see if the seeds are germinating at all.
    Bruce

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm