Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brian6464

"Leggy" seedlings

brian6464
10 years ago

I've heard this term tossed around on here with respect to new sprouts and young plants. I'd say my recently sprouted seeds fit this category. Many just came up over the weekend, but seem very "leggy". I'll post a pic tonight once I'm home from work.

Seedlings sprouted and quickly shot up a couple inches in some cases. They are currently in 72 cell trays.

What causes this? Is it that I kept in them in the humidity dome too long (even just a couple of hours) to see if additional sprouts would come before moving under lights?

Is it just a simple fix of transplanting into 4 inch cups and burying them up to just below the first leaves?

Thanks.

Comments (12)

• kclost
    10 years ago

They need light, good light, right after the sprout. If not they will reach out to find whatever they can. Hence, get leggy. A window will normally not be enough btw.

• brian6464
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, makes sense.

So if I have a 12 cell tray where only two seedlings come up, I shouldn't wait to move them under the lights? You pretty much need to move them right away and hope the other 10 come up at some point?

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Yep. Try to throw some plastic over the ones that haven't popped to keep the humidity up. Or cut out the 2 and put the remainder back in the humidity dome.

Kevin

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

No. Don't wait. The ones that haven't come up yet don't care whether they're under lights or not, but the leggy ones surely do! They want full sunshine if they can get it.

Of course, in February it's not particularly good for them yet as is usually accompanied by ice and snow. So think fluorescent fixtures about 1" above the little childs.

Well okay, you're in San Diego (Navy much?), but you really can't put them out quite yet. Trust me.

Dennis

10 years ago

Dennis: The OP is in zone 4a. It's ME who lives in San Diego. February is normally too chilly for seedlings here. Not lately though, it's been in the 70's/80's. Still too cool at night though.

I wouldn't dare try to put them out during the day now. Mine just sprouted. Late Start.

Kevin

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

Ooo. Navy much? Tequila much? Is the Blue Agave bar still there? Finest collection of tequilas in the Western hemisphere (IMNSHO).

brian, pay more attention to the ice and snow part of the post above.

Dennis

P.S. It's been wonderfully warm here too. But the Blue Bitâh isn't done with us yet. Back into the freezer Wed night...

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Yes, light is the problem. However, I am growing some Uba Tuba's this year and they are growing crazy tall compared to all the others that I am growing. Can you tell which are the two Uba Tuba's???

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Another shot of the tall Uba Tuba's.
    Bruce

10 years ago

DMF: No Navy. It did bring my Dad here though. Tequila -- Hate it! Can't stand the taste. Any liquor that requires salt and lime to drink must have something wrong with the flavor. Blue Agave -- yeah. it's still there, but it won't last much longer...every restaurant and bar that's ever been in that location fizzles out after awhile.

Kevin

• kentishman
    10 years ago

I believe that another factor that influences legginess is temperature. I start my seeds in high heat (85F), but as soon as they emerge from the soil I move them to a cooler place, a windowsill. The light isn't so good, but it keeps them in check.

Bruce, my Uba Tubas look exactly like yours. Noticeably taller than other varieties.

Tom

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I have my lights slanted (adjustable by chain) So I arrange the seedlings according to their height under light.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Yep, I figured it was variety specific since everything else was consistent with the other seedlings. Light, soil, water, nutrients, etc... They just kind of surprised me.
    Bruce

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County