Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenman28

Greenman's Peppers 2011 (pics)

Greetings, pepper growers!

It's that time again...seed-starting in the living room under a small grow-light.

To start off, here's a link to last year's grow: Greenman's Peppers 2010 (pics)

So what all am I growing? Thanks to the fine members at this Forum, I'll be growing:

Bhut, Bih, Dorset, Naga, Trinidad Scorpion, and Hot Cherry peppers.

From my own seed/plant stock, I'll be growing Chocolate Habanero, Thai Chile, Arbol,

Hungarian Wax, and either a Tabasco or a Poblano. In addition, a friend has a Black Pearl

seedling started for me.

This year, I'm using a slightly different mix: screened Fir bark, Perlite, and Turface.

I'm using the Turface instead of Pumice, and I'll be interested to see if there's any major

difference. The Turface is smaller on average and holds more moisture internally.

As always, I added a small amount of Osmocote controlled release fertilizer to provide a

tiny charge of nutrients. Once the seedlings gain several pairs of leaves, I begin fertilizing

with a reduced dosage of Foliage Pro 9-3-6, which provides all the minor nutrients that

most fertilizers lack.

First up, a handful of my seed-starting mix. You notice the lack of organic matter,

other than the Fir bark of course. By avoiding organics - such as peat or compost - I've

found that damping off and other pest problems aren't a concern. Secondly, this mix can

be watered thoroughly without fear of excess moisture or root-rot. Fertilizer salts and

precipitate from tap-water flush easily without building up on the surface of the mix.

Lastly, the mix is very loose and doesn't rip roots at transplant time, making for a very

smooth transition to the 4-inch pots later in the season.

Trays filled with mix, ready for the seeds to be sown:

Two trays planted with C. chinense varieties.

The remaining 6-cell will be sown with faster growing

peppers.

Finally, a pic of my overwintered Hungarian Wax.

This is the first pepper plant that I grew, now going

into its 4th year - it's a great plant, which I intend

to keep growing for as many years as possible.

Josh

Comments (150)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

At long last, an overdue pepper progress report.....

Here are just a few pics from the garden. The superhots in containers aren't doing much,
    but you better believe I'll litter this Thread with pics as soon as the pods begin to set.
    Many thanks again to those who shared seed: Jim, Zander, Bill. Muchas gracias!

First up, my Hungarian Hot Wax in its fourth season - followed by a pic of an average pod.

Next up, the Hot Cherry pepper. This is my tallest plant, and nicely symmetrical and sturdy....
    however, the pods are also larger than I expected, and I think I'll have to stake the plant eventually.
    The whole plant, followed by a fuzzy pic of the developing pods.

Third up, the larger of my two Thai chiles. I love the way these grow. Shapely and prolific.
    Although I've eaten a few of these green, last year's notes indicate that I won't have
    ripe pods until the end of this month. Same for the Hungarian Wax.

Last up, my Chocolate Habanero. Seven pods on the plant at the moment.

Josh

• Phildeez
    12 years ago

Coming along very well! That thai chili is fantastic. Oh and definitely stake your Hot Cherry ASAP, mine fell over yesterday! I came home and found the main branches laying flat on the ground. Luckily it was in the heat of the day so the stems bent and did not snap. That chocolate Hab seems pretty far along, my Carib Reds are just about that size now.

Mas Picturas!

• Spongey600
    12 years ago

well done Josh! good to see the plants doing well! all my new little kids are beginging to grow and throw out flower buds so fingers crossed that in a few weeks i will have flowers on them! and my mystery pepper has little flower buds coming in! so soon may we know what special gift i was given! :)

Again, great pics!

• shoontok
    12 years ago

Very nice!

That Hungarian Wax looks great as usual :) Mine just started orange a few days ago, maybe yours will follow shortly.

The Hot Cherry Plant is doing great too. Nice size pods on there.

And them Thai's sure are beautiful and throw out tons of lil pods eh?

Jim

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Josh, great looking plants. Is the Hot Hungarian Wax really 4 yrs old. How has the pod production been year to year? I am going to have to get with you at the end of the season as I want to overwinter a couple plants. One of them is going to be a Hot Hungarian Wax as well.
    Bruce

• romy6
    12 years ago

Josh . Your plants look super healthy. That old hungarian just keeps on pushing pods. Keep us posted!

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Ok.

Josh...Wow!

First off nice going and great thread. I can't believe how organized you are. I could learn something from this. I love how you chronicle what you grow, give updates, take pictures, and teach us along the way. I thank you for that.

Just to show you how very new I am at growing peppers, I had NO idea you could grow the same one year after year. I just toss the plant away and buy them all over again in spring. Oh the money I could save.

Than I never realized that these plants could grow so perfect in shape. I love them.

They all look super healthy and just delicious, even though they are know for the HOT factor.

I LOVE the idea with the water jugs as small greenhouses by the way. You gave me a thought for next year! I use to throw those away too.

Thank a lot for making my visit here always worthwhile.

Mike

Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, my fellow pepper growers! ;-)
    Phil, Eric, Jim, Bruce, Jaime, and Mike, thanks for stopping in.
    I'll try to get some updates once the pods are ripe...especially the superhots.

Bruce, the plant is technically three years old, but this makes its fourth growing season.
    With this particular plant, the production has increased with age...still only about 20 pods.
    I think the flavor has improved, too, but that's such a subjective thing.

I have a feeling quite a few of us will be overwintering plants, so that'll be fun to keep
    track of as well. For me, aphids are about the only problem I have during the winter.

We'll have Mike hooked on peppers in no time ;-)

Josh

Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello all!

Well, I've finally got my first Bhut pod and I just had to share....!
    The other superhots are setting pods, as well, now that I've moved the containers
    into a more shaded area of the garden. The plants just wouldn't set pods in the heat.

And this is what the whole Bhut looks like....not the best pic.

Black Pearl. Difficult to photograph, but always beautiful.
    We'll have ripe pods any day now!

And here's a pic of the plant in less direct sunlight.

Josh

• Spongey600
    12 years ago

Nice Bhut there Josh! seems everyone in the nation wants it to cool down and her in SD coast we need 10 degrees warmer weather! it was 72 on Sat and maybe 75 yesterday! but we are expecting 80ish weather this week!

Congrats!
    Eric

• shoontok
    12 years ago

Nice plants as usual!

Jim

• wayright
    12 years ago

Wonderful looking plants Greenman!!
    Congrats on your first Bhut of the year!!
    It looks nice and pimply!!!

Kevin

• romy6
    12 years ago

Josh you say that black pearl is difficult to capture but i beleive you got it down. Also very jealous of the Bhut. Awesomness!

Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, gents!
    Kevin, I've been anxiously awaiting a superhot pod, and I'm glad this one came out pimply! ;-)
    My other superhot pods seem to be more pointy, and sort of smooth.

Eric, the warm weather will come! I think September and October are going to be great
    growing months for you. It'll be interesting to see how far into the season we can get.

Jim, I've got three massive Hot Cherries that'll probably be ripe when I visit the garden.
    Can't wait to try 'em!

Jaime, you're too kind! I need to figure out how to photograph all the pods and the
    leaves at the same time...until then, multiple pics is the best I can do ;-)

Josh

• chile_freak
    12 years ago

josh great pics the peppers look great as always!
    paul

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Josh: Cool, I know you are growing later than a lot of others so I am sure you have been quite anxious seeing everyone else's harvests for the last 5 or 6 weeks. The fun begins.
    Bruce

Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the support, Paul and Bruce!
    Yeah, Bruce, it's been agonizing watching all these colorful, awesome harvests...and yet having
    none of my own (unless you count the handful of Thai chiles that I've eaten off my plants).

If you'd like to watch a short video tour of my pepper patch, click here: Pepper Garden - August 15, 2011

Here is the first Hot Cherry pepper to ripen, which I picked yesterday.
    Thanks again to Jim Shoontok for these seeds! I'm going to sample this pepper today.

Josh

• wayright
    12 years ago

Excellent video Greenman!!
    very cool! and your plants are looking great!

Kevin

• shoontok
    12 years ago

Nice bro!

Glad the Hot Cherry peppers are coming through for ya.

All the plants look great.

I gotta make one of them pepper garden videos too.

• 2ajsmama
    12 years ago

Oh, that Black Pearl is beautiful! You've got to let us know how they taste. Look nice and juicy.

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

So how was that pepper Josh! Nice and warm for you?:-)))

That is one good looking pepper there. Fantastic job despite all the odds against you this year Josh, Bravo!!
    I can tell you that thus far just for looks alone for me, The Black Pear wins first prize.

I have learned so much from this and hope I am very prepared for next year. I am so looking forward to that.
    By the way, I LOVE those kitties..lol I forgot to mention that. They look so innocent and yet great guard cats sleeping on duty..lol

Wonderful!

I shall have to check your video out after work today, Thank you. I love your videos. Some are very educational.

Mike

Original Author
    12 years ago

Good morning!

Thanks for watching the video, guys! Again, sorry about the shadow covering the Bih Jolokia....
    and all the noise in the background. Gah, it's a world of noise out here....

Jim, I'd surely watch a garden video if you post one up!
    Also, let me review for you the Hot Cherry pepper I ate yesterday. I took it outside with me,
    and then commenced to crunching into it. The flesh was thick and sweet and had a subtle flavor
    that I've not tasted in other peppers. The seeds and membrane upset my stomach on the first bite,
    but the rest of the pod was painless...once I was 'broken in.' I'd say the heat is right around
    that of a Hungarian. It was great and I look forward to eating more/sharing these with friends.

Ajsmama and Mike, that Black Pearl is a clear winner in the beauty contest ;-)
    It was actually the All-America Selections award winner in 2006. I can tell you how
    they taste from last year, although I haven't eaten a pod from my own plant this season.
    The pods have a black pepper flavor and they are hot, with a bit of a stinging burn like
    Thai chiles. The Scoville heat rating, from what I've gathered, is about 30,000 units...
    so that's about five times as hot as a hot Jalapeno.

Mike, thanks so much. Let me know what you think of the video. You'll be surprised how
    much the plants have grown. We'll get ya to grow a whole pepper patch next year! ;-)

Josh

• shoontok
    12 years ago

Cool, glad ya liked the Hot Cherry pepper. I got a few of them in a jar full of white vinegar in the fridge. I think ill save them there til i get more ripe ones and make a batch of Cherry bombs ;)

I went outside today with my camera to make a video, and it stopped after 12 seconds. Seems the memory card is full. Ill have to clear some room on there or get another card to make a video.

The Thai's and Pepperoncini's ya sent me are doing great. The Pepperoncini's have a real nice bite to em, as opposed the pepperoncini that i grew last year that were very bland. Im gonna let some pepperoncini's ripen up and save some seeds for next year.

Jim

• 2ajsmama
    12 years ago

Nice as the Black Pearls look, I don't think I'm interested in anything that tastes like ground black pepper.

I bought a pack of Burpee seed "Hot Lemon" packed in Costa Rica for next year. I'm hoping these are the Aji Limon everyone on this forum talks about. Supposedly an "Extra Hot Heirloom".

Josh, your Thais look bigger than mine (both plants and pods). I bought my Thai Hot seeds from Fedco. Are mine just late (greenhouse wasn't warm enough in April/May and I didn't plant til June)? What's your secret?

Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Jim!

It's funny....I grew Pepperoncini for my dad (who doesn't like hot peppers),
    but even the Pepperoncini's ended up having that "bite." Not bad for a mild pepper.

Ajsmama, our Thai chiles are most likely different varieties. There are tons
    of Thai chiles out there....some very small, and some very large. A couple years back,
    I tried to ID the Thai's that I have, but even with the expert help of folks from this Forum
    (such as John Fiedlermeister), we were only able to narrow down the possibilities.

Josh

• peppermeister1
    12 years ago

Wow, those hot cherry peppers look amazing, I'm going to try my hand at some Amish Hinkle Hatz peppers next summer, they look very similar. Very impressive Hungarian wax peppers too, I will be overwintering a few of my plants this year. Looking forward to the jump start next spring.

Here is a link that might be useful: Read My Organic Pepper Gardening Blog

• 2ajsmama
    12 years ago

PM - I'm growing Hinkelhatz this year, I'll let you know how they are (still waiting for ripe ones). They're kind of wrinkly like a hab, though, not plump and smooth like a cherry. Don't know how they would compare on heat since I'm used to cherries being not that hot and Hinkelhatz is supposed to be pretty hot.

A couple of my plants are getting really huge, I didn't think they were setting at all but I found a few tiny pods the other day! One that was on the porch has quite a few pods but doesn't seem to like being transplanted to garden, the other 2 still on the porch (in larger pots) also have a lot of pods but aren't as big as the ones that were transplanted from 4" pots 2 months ago.

Oh, and Josh, I checked this AM (I check every AM) and the largest Thai in my garden is finally getting buds - tons of them! The Thais in pots have had pods for a while, still waiting for those to ripen too (along with the cayennes and everything in the garden). I can't wait!

I brought 2 dozen green serranos to market yesterday and half of them sold - one woman asked if I had anything hotter, I said not yet, but she'll be back when they ripen. Any idea how long for cayennes once they reach full size?

• peppermeister1
    12 years ago

yeah you are right the Hinkle Hatz is more of a chicken heart shaped fruit, I was probably thinking about the pimiento type I plan on growing next year as well. I found a great site for Amish heirloom seeds, they also feature a great story behind each set of seeds (which is always a bonus for me). As I live just a stones throw away from our Dutch brethren, I figure their heirlooms will grow abundantly in my backyard.

http://amishlandseeds.com/peppers.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Check my pepper gardening blog

Original Author
    12 years ago

Two months later and I've finally had a decent harvest! ;-)

Well, it was a cool Spring and a late Summer, but overall I took great joy in growing out the seeds
    shared by so many friends around the nation (and even a few friends international). Thanks, again, to
    Bill, Jim, Jason, Jaime, and anyone else whom I've missed! Without further ado, let's take a pictorial stroll....

First up, a handful of heat...red ripe Naga Morich (seed from Hippyseed):

A couple of the container plants at the beginning of October: Dorset (left), Morich (Right).

The first ripe Chocolate Habanero. Smaller plant, smaller pods this year...but stupendous heat!
    Many pods still on the plant, and my extra Chocolate Hab should produce a few pods, too.

Follow up pic of the first ripened Bhut Jolokia pod. Great flavor, and very hot.

A brace of Naga Morich pods ripened on the plant.

A glowing ripe Bih Jolokia pod...I've eaten the most of these. Very good!

An assortment of peppers from earlier in the season - Bih Jolokia, Naga Dorset, Trinidad Scorpion,
    Chocolate Habs, Hot Cherry, Thai...

Harvest of superhots. Top left - Bih Jolokia. Bottom left - Bhut Jolokia. Top Right - Naga Morich.
    Bottom right - Naga Dorset. The Bhuts were the slowest to ripen, and they also had more of an orange
    transitional phase. Otherwise, nearly identical to the Bih Jolokia. Only subtle differences between the
    Naga Morich and Dorset, too. Compared to Morich pods, Dorsets were smaller and smoother skinned on average.

Naga Morich (top) and Naga Dorset (bottom).

Bih (top) and Bhut (bottom).

Josh

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Lots of killer heat there. They look to pretty (and hot) to eat. I am sure you consider this year a successful season.
    Bruce

• romy6
    12 years ago

Where you been brotha? Awesome pics as usual and your plants and pods look super healthy and xtra tasty.

How much longer is your season?

Original Author
    12 years ago

Bruce and Jaime, thanks!
    The pods are too pretty to eat...so I'll enjoy them on the kitchen table for a few more days ;-)
    Then I'll begin making salsa, sauce, or powder. Not quite sure what to do yet. Bruce, I'm fairly
    happy with the season's outcome, but I know that the weather made for a very limited harvest.
    I think most of you guys outdid me in terms of pods produced. Still, I'm happy with the quality
    and variety of peppers, and glad that I have good seed to collect.

My season will only extend into the first week or two of November, then it's over.
    We've had two massive rainstorms that wrecked havoc in the garden, but things survived.
    I did lose a crapload of Chocolate Habs, however. Falling twigs and acorns beat 'em to hell.

Been real busy with school lately, and haven't had much time in the garden. Hopefully the
    winter will offer some time for reflection and sharing our overwintering experiments.

Josh

Original Author
    12 years ago

As the year draws to an end, hopefully all of your Wintering peppers are doing well.
    Remember, don't be afraid to prune your plants and fertilize lightly but consistently.

Today's the first day of Winter Break, aka Christmas Vacation ;-)
    The sun is out, the wind is brisk, and the humidity is less than twenty percent.....

Indoors, the conditions are a bit better...Hungarian Hot Yellow Wax Pepper:

I've been enlisting the help of the Ladybugs in the yard to deal aphids....the aphids are gone now.

Josh

• romy6
    12 years ago

Great to hear your season was prosperous. Can't wait to follow your thread in 2012.

Happy New Year

Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, Jaime!
    I, too, look foward to everyone's 2012 gardening season....!
    (Although I know that yours is still continuing!) Thanks to you and several other
    superb chile friends, I'll be boasting a wide variety in next year's garden.

Josh

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Josh:
    Glad to see the season went well for you. Sad to hear it has ended. We can't all live in S. Texas. That Hot Hung Wax looks great. Is that the only overwinter you will have this year? Your soil looks great too. I wish I could find a good source for Fir Bark Fines. I also will be looking forward to getting into next year's grow season and talking about it onlist with you and all the others who have helped me limp through my first real season of Hot Pepper growing.
    Bruce

Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey, Bruce!
    I do love the Summer garden...but Winter weather is more agreeable to me. Glad to have a break ;-)
    Yeah, I'm only wintering this one pepper. I thought about doing more, but figured I'd go easy on myself.

How are your plants faring so far?

Josh

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Well Josh, my overwinter peppers are doing just fine. No problems since the aphid infestation. My two Hot Hungarian Wax still seem a bit less vital than I would like but they have been that way since they were seedlings. I have stopped worrying about it and just attributed it to them being that way naturally. In fact, they are putting out blooms and I think one may have been fertilized. My Bhut is looking great. Nice green and vibrant. Which brings up a question. Should I keep it trimmed back for another two or three months or just let it go from here on? Some of the shoots have grown three or four inches since I originally cut it back. I am surprised it is doing so well since it only gets a couple hours of direct sun when the sun is even out. I also have two Hot Hung Wax cuttings as well as a Bhut cutting going. They are still green after about a week so we shall see. I am about two months away from starting my seeds for next year.
    Merry Christmas to you, your family and all the other list members out there.
    Bruce

Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Bruce, Merry Christmas to you and yours, too!

Let the plants grow foliage right now, and then trim them back when they've become unruly.
    Good luck with the cuttings! My buddy tried with a cloning machine, and didn't get any to strike...

Josh

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

A "cloning machine"? Hmmmm, sounds SCI-FI to me. Ever watch the movie "The Fly"? hahahaha

• armac1965
    12 years ago

Greenman, what do you use for "screening" the growing mediums?

Original Author
    12 years ago

Haha...Bruce, it's not quite as high-tech as it sounds ;-)
    And it didn't work any way, so I can't say that I'd recommend it, really.

Armac, I'm glad you asked that question. This Thread's about to max out, so it'll be good
    to have these pics here for posterity. I use two main screening items. The first is a plastic
    flat from a nursery, normally used for carrying plants. The squares in the plastic are 1/4 inch.
    I use this to remove the large particles of bark - only the particles that are 1/4 inch or less
    fall through. I collect everything that falls through the plastic flat into a large pond-basket.
    The pond-basket has 1/8 and 1/16 inch holes all around the outside and bottom. When I
    shake or rinse the ingredients, the fine dust and particulate is flushed out the containers.

*I also have some aluminum door/window screen that is 1/16 of an inch.
    I occasionally use this to remove the fines from Turface in particular.

The nursery flat and a pond-basket:

{{gwi:10060}}

Set the plastic flat on top of the pond-basket, add a couple handfuls of bark.

{{gwi:10061}}

The appropriately sized pieces of bark fall into the pond-basket where the fine bark dust
    can be rinsed or shaken out.

{{gwi:54917}}

Josh

• armac1965
    12 years ago

Thanks Greenman for the comprehensive answer. Now for a couple more questions........

Is it imperative to screen the material if you are using for potting mature plants or is the screening more important for germination mix?

Why plant a potted plant in the garden, what are the advantages or reasons for that?

Original Author
    12 years ago

Good questions.
    The screening of the ingredients is for the germination mix and for the overwintering mix.
    In both cases, you want to remove the fine particulate so that the mix doesn't hold too much moisture.
    Excess moisture is probably the number one killer of seedlings and overwintered peppers.
    In my opinion, damping off can be corrected by eliminating damp conditions....

When I make the Summer mix to put into the 5-gallon containers, I don't bother with screening.
    I do remove the largest pieces of bark (over 1/2 inch), but that's about it. The small particulate
    will be useful in "binding" the larger particles and increasing moisture retention for Summer heat.

The advantage of planting in the garden is free root-run, which means less watering and less nutrients
    that I'll have to provide. Plants with free root-run tend to achieve much greater size and productivity.
    My garden is also an "organic" environment, and some folks are very focused on that ideological position.

Josh

• armac1965
    12 years ago

How much, just an estimate, do you think 5 gallons of your summer mix weigh? My mixes always seem to be to heavy/dense.

Great information in this thread.....

Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks!

A 5-gallon container of Summer mix (5-1-1) is actually light-weight compared to standard potting soils.
    The bark and the perlite are light in their own right, and there are plenty of larger particles that make
    for air-space throughout the mix. When fully saturated with water, the mix is obviously going to be heavier
    than when dry, but I think you'd still be surprised how easy it is to muscle around a container.

In containers, aeration is king. When we water, we deliver oxygen to the root-zone of the plant.
    And soils that allow us to water more often, allow us to grow plants closer to their full genetic potential.

Josh

• DaMonkey007
    12 years ago

Hi Josh,
    I tried to send you a private message, I don't think it got through. If it did, I appologize for the duplication.

Anywho, great thread! It's very interesting that you use turface instead of peat in your summer mix, thereby, providing moisture retention while decreasing fine particulates. I like that alot. Not to mention that you use the same 3 resources for both mixes, I REALLY like that alot! For me, the turface is quite simply a better choice than peat. I WILL be trying that out. Very well concieved. Do you screen and/or rinse the turface and perlite for the summer mix? If so, just a single pass to remove the dust, or two passes to obtain a range of particulates?

Thanks!
    PJ

Original Author
    12 years ago

Howdy, PJ, thanks for stopping in!

I didn't receive a private message, but this will work!

Yeah, can you tell that I'm not a fan of peat? ;-)
    Even the fine bark dust (that is screened out of the seedling mix) can make a great peat substitute.
    And Turface is small enough to bind ingredients and it holds enough moisture to replace the peat,
    plus it maintains its structure (which peat absolutely does not do!).

For the Summer mix (5-1-1), I treat the Turface and the coarse Perlite the same -
    I give them a toss in the pond-basket, which removes the fine dust and the smallest particles.
    I *could* leave those fine particles in, but I decided against it because I planned to include
    a portion of Fox Farms potting soil (that has peat).

Using the same basic ingredients makes for transitioning from container to container much easier.

Josh

• billclark
    12 years ago

Hi Josh,

I'm brand new to this thread and hot peppers. Thanks for all of the information. It looks like you do a lot of re-potting. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like you start in small pots, transplant to 4", then transplant outside after hardening into large pond baskets for the roots. At the end of the season you pull the pond baskets and transplant again into traditional pots for over wintering. I live in Petaluma and I'm getting ready to start my seeds. Do you germinate the seeds first or do you sow directly into your trays?

Thanks,

Bill

Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey, Bill, welcome aboard!

Now that this Thread has reached 150 posts, it's maxed out.
    However, please feel free to e-mail me for any subsequent questions you might have.

You are correct. I start in 6-cell nursery packs, transplant to 4-inch containers,
    and then either into other pots (5-gallon) or into the ground. In the ground, the pond-baskets protect
    the roots from gopher activity and make it really easy to yank plants out of the ground at the
    end of the season.

With the Capsicum chinense varieties (habaneros, scorpions, ghost peppers, et cetera),
    I germinate the seeds on a damp paper towel in an open zip-lock. This year, I'm going to use a
    bit of bottom heat to see if I can speed up the process. Anyhow, as soon as the tiny white root
    breaks free of the seed-case, I sow the seeds in my 6-cell nursery pack.

With fast-growing peppers, like Thai, Hungarian, and Arbol, I sow the seeds directly in the mix.
    These varieties sprout between 4 - 7 days for the most part, so I don't bother with any special treatment.

I'll try to take more pics of the process this year.

Cheers, everyone! It was a fantastic Thread!
    Thank you.

Josh

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz