Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cranberry Habanero Jelly (Ottawapepper)

Posted by rdback z6 VA (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 2, 10 at 17:12

Cranberry Habanero Jelly aka "Turkey's Revenge"

The recipe for this jelly was developed by one of our own, Ottawapepper aka Bill.

I originally wanted to make this for Thanksgiving dinner, but not a single fresh cranberry could be found in my neck of the woods. They finally showed up in December, but I was too busy, with the Holidays and all. Well, it all came together yesterday. Here's a little pictorial view.

Here's all the ingredients
Jelly,CranHab

All diced up and simmering
Jelly,CranHab

Jarred and processed
Jelly,CranHab

Nice color and distribution
Jelly,CranHab

Breakfast: Bagel w/cream cheese and "Turkey's Revenge"
Jelly,CranHab

Thanks Bill for sharing this recipe. It is delicious, and that's coming from someone who doesn't care for cranberries lol. Well, not until now anyways.

Rick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cranberry Habanero Jelly (Ottawapepper)

Bill or Rick- lets don't be stingy. That looks pretty damn good- what is the formula.
Steve

o

yeah! lol, looks great congrats

o

LMAO Rick!

I'm glad you liked it.

I'm fortunate to live within 40 minutes of the only cranberry farm in Eastern Ontario. I currently have 2 lbs of berries and 3 liters of juice in the freezer. Oh ya, I have 12 frozen Bhuts looking for somewhere to go. I'm thinking Turkey's Revenge II, the Sequel.

OK, full disclosure (Rick, you know I'm a safety nut).

steveb3,

I adapted a recipe off of the Harvest Forum. The original was a Cran Jalapeno jelly posted by a trusted member, Melly.
I tweaked the ingredients (still maintaining safe acidity levels) with help from other Harvest Members. As such, I'm happy to post the recipe. Follow the recipe and procedures and it's safe for shelf storage.

Bill

Ingredients:
3/4 cup cider vinegar
3/4 cup white vinegar
2 cups 100% unsweetened cranberry juice
1/2 cup finely diced habanero pepper
1/2 cup finely diced red onion
1 3/4 cups fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped
1 pkg liquid pectin
5 cups sugar

Procedure:
1. Finely dice peppers and onion and coarsely chop cranberries
2. In a large sauce pan, combine cranberries, pepper, onion, vinegars, and juice
3. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low
4. Simmer 15 20 minutes to allow flavors to blend and to soften up cranberries
5. Add sugar and return to a hard boil for 1 minute
6. Remove from heat and stir liquid pectin in well
7. Add jelly to hot sterilized jars
8. Wipe rim of jars with a clean damp towel
9. Position lids as per usual instructions
10. Process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes
11. Remove jars and allow them to cool
12. During the cooling, periodically "gently" invert jars to distribute solids.

Yield 7 or 8 - 250ml (1 cup) jars

o

this sounds really good,but i think i would do without the onion.

imagine this with smoked peppers instead of fresh
on top of a grilled chicken breast..yum.

o

Oh yea-I just copied and pasted that formula- thanks. I am new to the hot pepper experience so how much heat is lost from the cooking, I might have to try my Datil in-lieu of the habs or the fish pepper and work my way up to my choc hab if everything keeps growing, have only 2" tall seedlings right now.

o

That sounds great, Bill. Next fall I may experiment with some peppers that are not as hot as habs.
John A

o

Thanks folks,

staticx, IMHO the onion does offer a nice compliment to the tangy berries and fruity heat of the habs. I like your smoked pepper idea. I'll definitely give it a shot when I make my next batch.

steveb3, maybe it's just me but I don't find heat loss cooking the peppers. Actually, I think the acid in the vinegars promote extraction of the capsicum from the peppers and spread it around.

John, I'm sure it will work well with milder peppers, the original recipe called for using Jalapenos. If I can find Melly's original recipe I'll post it for you.

Bill

o

Wow nice recipe i'm in on this thanks Bill

o

My mouth is watering, could I use habaneros that I dried? I have a lot of those.
Donna

o

So, this " 100% unsweetened cranberry juice "

Is that actually pure cranberry juice with nothing added? or the Unsweetened cranberry "juice" that if you read the label is actually cranberry and apple, but no extra sugar.

I am just wondering because I cannot find actual, 100% cranberry juice where the ONLY ingredient is cranberry juice at any grocery stores, only my natural food store has it. I am happy to use either, but I am just wondering for recipe accuracy.

o

greenmulberry,

I've used both and achieved great results. It really boils down to taste preference (100% cranberry juice is too bitter/tart for some) and availability (I'm lucky to have a cranberry farm 30 miles away).

Go ahead and use the cranberry and apple stuff, it will still turn out great IMHO.

Bill

o

An annual favorite for us.

Give it a try!

Thanks again Bill!

RIck

o

Fresh cranberry is in season now. I will make some for Thanksgiving Turkey.

o

LMAO Rick!

It's an honor to have helped contribute an annual tradition to your holiday dinner.

Talk about pressure. How am I ever going to top Turkey's Revenge???

Cheers my friend!

o

That's stuff looks good.

o

I had a lot of hot sauce and also canned cranberry sauce. So I made a short cut:

--- a can of whole cranberry sauce (14 oz)
--- hot sauce, mad from habanero ( ~ 7 oz)

I mixed and brought it to boil, simmered for about 15 minutes .
That is it: The hot sauce already had enough vinegar and the cranberry sauce was pretty sweet.
It turned out pretty good, more like a sauce/jam.

Seysonn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here