Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rdback

Cranberry Habanero Jelly (Ottawapepper)

rdback
14 years ago

Cranberry Habanero Jelly aka "Turkey's Revenge"

The recipe for this jelly was developed by one of our own, Ottawapepper aka Bill.

I originally wanted to make this for Thanksgiving dinner, but not a single fresh cranberry could be found in my neck of the woods. They finally showed up in December, but I was too busy, with the Holidays and all. Well, it all came together yesterday. Here's a little pictorial view.

Here's all the ingredients

All diced up and simmering

Jarred and processed

Nice color and distribution

Breakfast: Bagel w/cream cheese and "Turkey's Revenge"

Thanks Bill for sharing this recipe. It is delicious, and that's coming from someone who doesn't care for cranberries lol. Well, not until now anyways.

Rick

Comments (16)

• steveb3
    14 years ago

Bill or Rick- lets don't be stingy. That looks pretty damn good- what is the formula.
    Steve

• tedsfarms
    14 years ago

yeah! lol, looks great congrats

• User
    14 years ago

LMAO Rick!

I'm glad you liked it.

I'm fortunate to live within 40 minutes of the only cranberry farm in Eastern Ontario. I currently have 2 lbs of berries and 3 liters of juice in the freezer. Oh ya, I have 12 frozen Bhuts looking for somewhere to go. I'm thinking Turkey's Revenge II, the Sequel.

OK, full disclosure (Rick, you know I'm a safety nut).

steveb3,

I adapted a recipe off of the Harvest Forum. The original was a Cran Jalapeno jelly posted by a trusted member, Melly.
    I tweaked the ingredients (still maintaining safe acidity levels) with help from other Harvest Members. As such, I'm happy to post the recipe. Follow the recipe and procedures and it's safe for shelf storage.

Bill

Ingredients:
    3/4 cup cider vinegar
    3/4 cup white vinegar
    2 cups 100% unsweetened cranberry juice
    1/2 cup finely diced habanero pepper
    1/2 cup finely diced red onion
    1 3/4 cups fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped
    1 pkg liquid pectin
    5 cups sugar

Procedure:
    1. Finely dice peppers and onion and coarsely chop cranberries
    2. In a large sauce pan, combine cranberries, pepper, onion, vinegars, and juice
    3. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low
    4. Simmer 15 Â 20 minutes to allow flavors to blend and to soften up cranberries
    5. Add sugar and return to a hard boil for 1 minute
    6. Remove from heat and stir liquid pectin in well
    7. Add jelly to hot sterilized jars
    8. Wipe rim of jars with a clean damp towel
    9. Position lids as per usual instructions

1. Process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes
    2. Remove jars and allow them to cool
    3. During the cooling, periodically "gently" invert jars to distribute solids.

Yield 7 or 8 - 250ml (1 cup) jars

• staticx
    14 years ago

this sounds really good,but i think i would do without the onion.

imagine this with smoked peppers instead of fresh
    on top of a grilled chicken breast..yum.

• steveb3
    14 years ago

Oh yea-I just copied and pasted that formula- thanks. I am new to the hot pepper experience so how much heat is lost from the cooking, I might have to try my Datil in-lieu of the habs or the fish pepper and work my way up to my choc hab if everything keeps growing, have only 2" tall seedlings right now.

• John A
    14 years ago

That sounds great, Bill. Next fall I may experiment with some peppers that are not as hot as habs.
    John A

• User
    14 years ago

Thanks folks,

staticx, IMHO the onion does offer a nice compliment to the tangy berries and fruity heat of the habs. I like your smoked pepper idea. I'll definitely give it a shot when I make my next batch.

steveb3, maybe it's just me but I don't find heat loss cooking the peppers. Actually, I think the acid in the vinegars promote extraction of the capsicum from the peppers and spread it around.

John, I'm sure it will work well with milder peppers, the original recipe called for using Jalapenos. If I can find Melly's original recipe I'll post it for you.

Bill

• roadkill
    14 years ago

Wow nice recipe i'm in on this thanks Bill

• caavonldy
    14 years ago

My mouth is watering, could I use habaneros that I dried? I have a lot of those.
    Donna

• greenmulberry
    13 years ago

So, this " 100% unsweetened cranberry juice "

Is that actually pure cranberry juice with nothing added? or the Unsweetened cranberry "juice" that if you read the label is actually cranberry and apple, but no extra sugar.

I am just wondering because I cannot find actual, 100% cranberry juice where the ONLY ingredient is cranberry juice at any grocery stores, only my natural food store has it. I am happy to use either, but I am just wondering for recipe accuracy.

• User
    13 years ago

greenmulberry,

I've used both and achieved great results. It really boils down to taste preference (100% cranberry juice is too bitter/tart for some) and availability (I'm lucky to have a cranberry farm 30 miles away).

Go ahead and use the cranberry and apple stuff, it will still turn out great IMHO.

Bill

• rdback
    Original Author
    9 years ago

An annual favorite for us.

Give it a try!

Thanks again Bill!

RIck

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Fresh cranberry is in season now. I will make some for Thanksgiving Turkey.

• User
    9 years ago

LMAO Rick!

It's an honor to have helped contribute an annual tradition to your holiday dinner.

Talk about pressure. How am I ever going to top Turkey's Revenge???

Cheers my friend!

• scorion1
    9 years ago

That's stuff looks good.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I had a lot of hot sauce and also canned cranberry sauce. So I made a short cut:

--- a can of whole cranberry sauce (14 oz)
    --- hot sauce, mad from habanero ( ~ 7 oz)

I mixed and brought it to boil, simmered for about 15 minutes .
    That is it: The hot sauce already had enough vinegar and the cranberry sauce was pretty sweet.
    It turned out pretty good, more like a sauce/jam.

Seysonn

Sponsored