Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ab2008

Mini Sweet Peppers?

ab2008
11 years ago

Hey there, I know it's not hot peppers but I didn't see a sweet pepper forum and wanted to find out if anyone knew what types of peppers they were? The bag my mother had purchased was from pero family farms. All it had labeled on it was mini sweet peppers and they had an absolutely great taste, I just have no idea if they are just some plain mini variety or if they were a specific type.

Anyone able to provide any insight to these?

Comments (48)

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

I grew from seeds from the mini sweet peppers last year. Since they are a hybrid no telling what you may end up with. I ended up with larger peppers than the original but nothing compaired to the size of a bell.

In the pic they are the ones lined up below the yellow bell peppers.

Another GW forum member did the same except he got large long peppers.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

Found the link on Pedro sweet peppers grown from seeds store bought peppers

Here is a link that might be useful: GW post on Pedro pepper thread

• ab2008
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh wow, that's nuts Mark! I may end up planting a few seeds and seeing what kind of mystery plant I end up with hah.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

ab2008:
    I did the same thing last year. I harvested seed from some mini sweet peppers I had bought in the super market (Aldi's). I got the idea to harvest some of the seeds and save them to see if I could grow them out. I planted one about a month ago and it is growing great. Not sure what I will end up with but it is growing much faster than the other couple varieties that I planted at the same time.
    They were labeled mini bells and there were yellow, orange and red ones. I pulled a few seeds of each. I am growing the red one. They were very tasty and sweet. Much better than a standard bell.
    Bruce

• mswiggi
    11 years ago

I purchased seeds last year from heirloom acres, mini yellow and mini red bell peppers. Great taste, very prolific, but tons of seeds and kind of a pain to prep/eat.

• sandysgardens
    11 years ago

Bruce - I buy the bag of mini sweets at Aldi's too for a great little sweet pepper in the winter. I'll have to get another bag and quickly get some seed planted this weekend and see what I come up with.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

sandysgardens:
    I can send you some of my mini bell seeds already to go if you like. That way you won't have to wait for them to dry. I could get them in the mail on Saturday and you would probably get them Monday or Tuesday. Just email me your address if you want some.
    Bruce

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

Yup, I'm the other guy that grew out those mini sweet pepper seeds. Hab got little ones that look similar to what was in the package. I got these:

• ab2008
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I put some of the seeds out of the orange pods out, going to see what I end up with. I know the peppers have a really good taste, but it'll be interesting to see what I end up with!

• barrie2m_(6a, central PA)
    11 years ago

Seems like the poster might be referring to a seed variety or source to purchase these types- There are many currently available. A few years ago I planted a mix called "Yummy blend". They were good but I couldn't descern which would be yellow, red or orange until they ripened. Last year I planted 3 types: Red Baby and Yellow Baby. I hardly planted a dozen since plant sales were fantastic once people saw plants with fruit. I'm going to repeat those again but I also purchased seeds of the "Lunchbox" serries- red, yellow and orange and also "Cute Stuff Red' just to try those out. Choices are good.

Unlike what some others stated, I noticed hardly any seed in these mini bells. I find it the best quality of these. I've seen references to these in many catelogs. I got my "Baby" series from Rupp Seeds and the "Lunchbox" series from johnny's. Tomato Growers supply has the Cute stuff. I have enough trouble with unexpected results from seed purchased so I don't save seed. If you chose to save seed from a hybrid you run an very likely risk of unusual results.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

When I grow from saved seed, I plan for the possibility of hybrids. If I want defined results, I will grow from either store bought or "isolated" seed stock. The unexpected results can be part of the fun IMO.
    Bruce

• ab2008
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's right Bruce. I'm not expecting to end up with the same thing I bought, but they have a good taste, and if they even taste similar and just as sweet - I don't care what they look like.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Last year I grew out an Orange Bell from seed I took out of an Orange Bell Pepper from Walmart. It grew great and put out a lot of nice peppers until the main branch on it broke one day in a high wind. I had to pick the 5 peppers on it green and only one was at or close to full size. Here is a photo of one of the peppers after I picked it.
    Bruce

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

Hey Bruce I know the feeling when a plant snaps. I had that happen but I used thread and was able to let the peppers ripen on the plant.

Mark

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

Actually, if you put it back in place, tie it up like you did, and hit it with some wound sealer, its entirely possible the branch will heal back together as if it were a graft.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Hmmm, my wife is a nurse, maybe she could have done something. Some bacatracin and and surgical tape.

Bruce

• lorabell_gw
    11 years ago

I also bought a package of the sweet mini's from walmart after reading a post here about them last Spring, and saved seeds from the red, yellow, and orange. Ended with 2 plants of each, with most of the peppers ending up a little bit larger then the ones I bought, but sweet and good.

One of the plants, however, was interesting. Very small peppers, about an inch in length, bullet shaped, and really sweet. Hundreds of those darn things on the plant. We used them just about daily to dunk whole in dips and such. I saved some seeds which I've planted, very, very few seeds if any in most of the pods, and overwintered the mamma. I REALLY hope this generation of babies turn out lthe same. It was like eating pepper candy, just pop them in your mouth. Oh, I need summer to come......and I agree with Bruce, I do like the interesting that come from Hybrids...

• nc_crn
    11 years ago

Fwiw, I hope to offer more Crunch Sweet Orange this coming fall/winter (late 2013-early 2014) for free/SASE as I replenish my seed stock.

As far as the other hybridization I'm stabilizing (anaheim x cubanelle)...that's years off.

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

The interesting thing about growing the seeds out from these hybrids is seeing the throwbacks.

I got big huge banana pepper looking pods, Lora got what sounds like some kind of ornamental pods.

While the company that sells these peppers to the grocery stores won't say what they are (its a hybrid they produce themselves), these throwbacks are clues as to what they use.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Yes Edymnion: I have come to learn that most peppers you buy in the stores are hybrids and being such, will produce seed that will grow into peppers that can have varying characteristics. My question on this is: Will the peppers resulting from the seeds of these hybrid peppers produce either a copy of the father plant, the mother plant or a copy of the hybrid that it came from? Or could it produce something completely different?
    Bruce

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

On another note regarding these mini bell hybrids. I had started some seeds back on January 14th as a germination experiment to see if they were viable. They were, in fact, more prolific at germination than all the other seed stock I tested. They have also been much more prolific at growing since being planted and sprouting. I just checked my seedlings today and found that the Mini Bell already had buds. It is only a few inches tall but it sure looks like it is already putting out buds after about 6 weeks. It really surprised me. Now I am really getting interested to see how this thing comes out?
    Bruce

• Dhelsdon
    11 years ago

I had posted this earlier yesterday but I must have not been paying attention when I was posting because I came back today and my post was gone.

I have seen many cases where folks snap the main stems and are able to either tie thread around the break to repair it or use tape etc

Interestingly enough, most times when the main stem has regrown it actually becomes stronger and looks like a bulge , it is actually common for people to use a method called 'Supercropping' which is similar to doing this. With supercropping, you pinch, roll and squeeze a specific spot on the stem and after a few days is will back to full health and it will be so much stronger.

This is usually used when the plant cannot hold the weight of all it's fruit, by doing this is a few key spots it can increase the plant's strength and help it to stay intact and upright in the future.

• hillseeker
    11 years ago

I've read this topic of saving seeds from bought produce a few times but never said anything until now. Don't think this is the stupidest post ever, as I'm not an expert and hope someone else can chime in to confirm or put my mind at ease...

Do you guys not worry about saving seeds from store bought peppers to plant for yourselves? I wouldn't even consider it because store bought produce can be genetically modified to produce bigger, sweeter peppers, better yields, ripening all produce on the plant at the same time making them no longer natural. Same reason tomatoes in the stores taste like crap. I would never want to grow one of those. They can also be sprayed with toxic chemicals and or the plant itself diseased but you were unaware.

The plant growing from a store bought vegetable no longer seems "natural". For me, the whole point of a greenhouse in Canada is to avoid purchasing produce, especially as quite a bit of it is imported from the USA where GMO's are becoming a bigger topic of concern. I surely wouldn't want anything transferred to my organic plants either. I may save it if the pepper was organic but I think I'd still go out of my way to find natural organic seeds instead.

Opinions?

Crazy Canadian Girl :)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

I think the problem with "store bought" veggies is more the fact that they are not as fresh as home grown and the fact that many are actually grown in green houses and under artificial conditions and not outside.

I don't worry about the genetically altered aspect. Pepper plants are bred out all the time to produce different characteristics. Several people on this list actively do it.

As for the plants being sprayed with "toxic chemicals". That is the plant itself. I haven't heard that those pesticides and such can be carried over through seed to the next generation.

To each his own. But I am not an alarmist when it comes to food and "toxins". Sure, I try to minimize any exposure to toxins, but I am not an "organic, 100% natural" follower either. For instance, if my plants are being hit by a pest and the "natural" solutions fail, I will do anything short of Napalm to fix the problem. Even it means me not eating the peppers, I will win. But like I said, if someone can lead me to an effective natural solution, I am all for it.
    But that is just me.
    Bruce

• ab2008
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Eh, I wouldn't say I planted the seeds for production really. I loved the taste of them, and thought I'd ask on here, and a few of others' results made me want to try planting a few myself *just* to see what I end up with. And if I come out with a great tasting pepper, I've lost nothing.

The organic thing, I think it's a term that gets thrown around more than it should IMHO, by everyone. Give it time before they start throwing "organic" twinkies and burritos in the stores.

But - all in all the peppers had an awesome taste. If I can get something similar to that, I've achieved my goal by planting those seeds!

• nc_crn
    11 years ago

" I wouldn't even consider it because store bought produce can be genetically modified to..."

That's not an issue.

In your supermarket you'll find papaya, and a small amount of sweet corn + squash...papaya from seed is a bad idea anyway vs a cultivar seedling, plus it's a very small growing area...sweet corn + the less than 5% of GMO squash you'll find don't contain plantable seed (too immature for seed sourcing).

There's not much of a market for GMO development of non-grain/cotton (aka, 100s-1000s acres) field crops. Most of that work is being done by small, private companies, fwiw. Peppers are rather easy to grow with conventional herbicide/pesticide regimes...the most focused point of pepper breeding for commercial growers are varieties that can self-support without staking (taking a bit of labor work out of the fields).

• hillseeker
    11 years ago

I probably overused the word organic. I as well will use other products for infestations as needed. I just try my best to grow and eat "natural". You all made great points and changed my opinion on this. I admit I'm new to a lot of this info and am not familiar enough with pepper plants themselves. I'm loving learning. Thanks like usual!

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Glad you didn't take any of it personally HillSeeker as it isn't intended to be an attack on your views. In fact, you will find a great deal of people on this list that have virtually the same views on those subjects as you do. Neither view is particularly wrong, they are just different. And that is how we all learn on this list is by reading differing views and sharing personal experiences on each topic. Then we are all free to take out of the discussions what we want.
    Question: Are flame throwers considered "Organic". I nearly fired one up for the Aphids early last spring.
    Bruce

• ab2008
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bruce,

That is a perfectly acceptable practice. Just watch the plants!

• xeno
    10 years ago

Does anyone have any updates of their results from this plant? I recently bought a "sweet pickle pepper plant" from Hirt's Gardens thinking they'd be similar, but I have yet to see the results (no blossoms yet) and thinking of planting the seeds from the actual sweet mini peppers from the package at the grocery store.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweet Pickle Pepper Plant

• ab2008
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Minami,

Right now, my plants seem to be kind of slow growers, however the pods that it is setting (right now) are between 2-3" in length, I haven't let any ripen yet and have picked them while the are still green... Hoping that the plants catch up a little more. My 7 pot plants and other hots are a lot larger than these.

With that said though, the pods themselves have a pretty good taste, though I'm sure it's better if I would allow them to ripe. We'll see how the plants are doing at the end of this month and into August.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

minami:
    Here is a photo of the "Red Mini Bell" that I grew from seed from a store bought pepper. Oddly enough, the pods seem to be growing in various shapes. Final sizes are yet to be determined.

• xeno
    10 years ago

Thank you for the updates! My sweet pickle peppers are finally starting to blossom, but I ended up trying to get the seeds from the mini sweet peppers I got from the supermarket (the red yellow and orange ones in the little bag) to grow but couldn't even get the seeds to germinate. It's a bummer because those are my favorite peppers and it would be amazing to grow them in my own garden. Does anyone have any success growing them from purchased seed?

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

minami: I saved seeds from all three colors of the peppers and have good success with getting them to germinate. I will send you seeds if you like? Just PM me with an address.
    Bruce

• xeno
    10 years ago

Hi Bruce -
    Thank you so much! I actually found mini sweet pepper seeds for sale, and I purchased them, will update with results. Please keep me updated with your sweet peppers!

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

Just started some of these grocery store mini sweets yesterday, Bruce, can you update on how yours did last year and what they looked/tasted like?

I had 3 bell pepper seeds left over from a pack of last year's (last year was so wet in June and hot in July that I didn't get any peppers at all! and very late tomatoes). Not going to plant any more - I'm trying non-bell sweets instead, have Cornu di Toro and Sweet Banana.

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    10 years ago

I grew some of the red mini sweets from the Pero Family Farms product from the grocery store last summer. These are not mini bell peppers. They look more like miniature Italian frying peppers. I only grew the reds because they were my favorites. All the seeds I planted germinated, but I only grew out three plants. They were about two feet tall and naturally bushy. They all produced peppers that looked like the originals. They were very productive and tasted great. Like their source, they didn't have many seeds. They will definitely be regulars in my garden from now on.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

Thanks Ohiofem - those were the same kind I planted, they're sweet but not bells. I've got 2 dozen cells filled with red-yellow-orange mix. Actually had quite a few seeds - I cored them so seeds still on cap, then diced the peppers and threw them in the freezer for cooking later. Didn't dry the seeds, but put the caps on paper towels for a few days. We'll see how they germinate.

I also started some hot pepper seeds today - the hottest being Hot Lemon from Burpee (last of the packet - looked promising last year but too late to ripen). Some Hinkelhatz I saved in 2012 (so may be crossed), something that may have been Hot Portugal (or else a hotter Numex - I didn't plant any other long varieties that year) and saved. Guess I've got to buy some new pepper seed. Trying the last few Padrons (didn't germinate in 2012), Cascabels, Alma, etc. ottawapepper and smokemaster sent me a few years ago. Still trying to find some nice productive sweets.

Now, chiles, Hinklehatz (Fedco) are really prolific, so were Jalapeno Gigante (Burpee). Could be that 2012 was a great year for peppers (not so much for tomatoes), but the Gigantes did pretty well last year - nice that you can harvest them green b/c that's all we got last season.

I've still got 1 purple serrano (barely hanging in there), 3 bih jolokia and 2 Douglah in pots from 2012, I got 1 Douglah last year, going to put them in the ground this year and see how they do. Lots of flowers last 2 winters, but only that 1 fruit. They were started in Jan 2012.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

ajsmama: Mine grew pretty much true. They were maybe a little larger than the ones I got from the grocery store but they were veryyyyy sweet and juicy. Better than the store ones. Maybe since they were so fresh.
    Bruce

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

Earlier than bells? More prolific? I'm so tired of trying to grow bells in our short season. Hope I started peppers early enough this year - feels very late, but given I'm not starting too many hots (and Hinklehatz is a cool-weather hot), maybe I'll have time to get some ripe ones?

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Almost all the peppers on my plant ripened by the time the season ended. Even the green ones were still very sweet. More prolific? I am not sure on that one.
    I do think you are getting a late start but you will have a longer season than I did so I think you will be fine.
    Good luck,
    Bruce

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    10 years ago

I grew my three plants in a 10-gallon container in Zone 6a, very close to Zone 5b. I think peppers ripen a week or two earlier, and you can get them outside sooner, in containers. As I remember, I started seeds for these in mid-March, set them out in mid-May, started harvesting in mid-July and they produced until late September. Much more prolific than the last bell I grew.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

This year I was trying to follow the seed starting calendar from Johnny's, though I didn't agree with peppers being started Apr 3 to set out May 31 - June 1 so I backed them up a couple of weeks. Probably should have done it in Feb or March but hard to get into seed-starting mode when it's below zero at night and constant snowstorms - you must know the feeling ;-)

Tomatoes are being started this week. It's probably the latest I've ever waited, but since I've given up on getting them in the ground until late May (and last year was horrible trying to harden anything off), I just figured I'd start short DTM varieties later this year and see how those went. Now I hope those seeds come soon, I mostly have mid- and late-season tomatoes from last year (a couple early ones). Thursday is supposed to be mid-40's (almost seasonable) before it drops into the 30's again for the weekend...

• seysonn
    10 years ago

You shouldn't let the current wintery weather to discourage you. BELIEVE ME spring and summer will come, just on time.

About starting from seed: Most start their pepper about 2 weeks ahead of tomatoes, for the reason being that pepper grow at much slower paste than tomatoes. I am already experiencing that for sure.

For the sweets, I have cubanelle, shishito, pepperoncini, Gypsy, sweet banana. I also have several milds like: Fresno, Hungarian Hot Wax, Bishops Crown, Chilaca.
    I have stopped growing bells since many many years ago.

• centexan254 zone 8 Temple, Tx
    10 years ago

If you are not afraid to spend a few dollars for the seedlings the Bonnie Plants Gypsy Sweet Pepper is a great one. They go from green, to yellow, to orange, to red. They are very sweet, and will produce all season. The one I planted last year was setting fruit in triple digit heat provided I had a plant south of it for evening shade. I bought 5 more for this year. Planted a few days ago. 4 are looking like they are recovering from the transplant shock very well. The fifth one is recovering a little bit slower, but is doing ok so far.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

Are the seedlings from grocery store plants TINY?? I seeded sweet peppers 3/15 and hots 3/16, only have 1 heat mat (old warming tray) that maybe I've been keeping too low, have been switching them on and off of it once a day, I don't remember my setup in 2011 when I planted 2 trays (didn't start many the last 2 years).

Have 1 teeny tiny sprout with cots in 1 cell, it looks like a weed to me not a pepper, will wait until it gets true leaves. Planted in mix of peat moss, perlite, Fafard #2 left over from last year and a little Espoma seed starter thrown in. Possible a tiny seed got into the peat moss or Fafard, perlite and Espoma were in ziploc bags so not likely there.

I don't know how long to wait for germination - a lot of these were old seed (3 yrs or so), I read in a couple places seed only good for 1 year. But the jalapenos (Early and Gigante) and Hot Lemons were just bought last year, so were the bells (only 3 seeds left but I planted them LOL), Hinkelhatz were saved seed from 2012, the minis were straight out of the fruit (that had been refrigerated but I gave them a few days out of fridge, then cut them open and took the seeds out, let dry a bit on paper towel for another 5 days or so).

Will fluctuations in temp from taking on and off the heat (say soil temp is 80 - I think my thermometer is running about 10 degrees low all this year) to 67 degree room temp (60 soil temp?) cause seeds to die? Or just slower going? Maybe it's best to just leave 1 tray on and the other off the heat?

This post was edited by ajsmama on Thu, Apr 3, 14 at 9:02

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Forgot I started lettuce 3/11 and peppers 3/15-16. Didn't not when all the peppers germinated, only the 1 heat mat and 2 trays to shift around, but they've all pretty much germinated now, including 3 Cascabels that were much later than the others (I don't think Padrons are going to do anything). The grocery store peppers look nice and healthy.

I think all the Almas and Tequila Sunrise germinated - and most of the Ancient Sweets. So definitely pepper seed can last longer than the 1 year some charts give for viability. Funny, I didn't get as good gemination on the Burpee serrano seed from last year.

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm