Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peppernovice

first video update....

peppernovice
10 years ago

Here's a quick look at my plants so far. All of these were planted on December 26th. Please over look my dirty deck. It's been pretty cold here up until this week. We actually got about 10 inches of snow last week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUs5VYhi6ow&feature=youtu.be

Tim

Comments (19)

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Tim: I don't get it! You're trying to tell us that these things are only 8 weeks old!!! And they're Chinense?? And they're blooming?!?!?

Is that 8 weeks PLUS germ. times?

What lights are you using, what soil, what ferts. Schedules

We need a detailed tutorial!!!

Hell! Green beans barely grow that fast!

Kevin

P.S. beauties, as always!

This post was edited by woohooman on Thu, Feb 20, 14 at 18:11

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Fantastic, Tim.
    Already hardening them off ?

• peppernovice
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Kevin and Seysonn. Yeah they are only about 8 weeks old. I'm using (3) four foot shop lights with 6500k bulbs. I run the lights about 16 on and 8 off. I have fertilized twice. The first time with fish emulsion, and the second with Miracle Grow liquafeed. The medium is approximately a 3-1-1. It's 3 parts Fafard 3b, 1 part peat moss, and 1 part perlite. I also added dolomitic lime and osmocote. They were germinated in Miracle Grow germinating soil. I moved them over to the 3-1-1 on the second pot up.
    I water them about once a week. The only problem I'm having now, other than running out of space under the lights, is a few of them are getting top heavy. I've been running a small fan for several days, but they are so crowded under the lights that they don't all get the effects of the fan. I left them outside for about 5 hours today. They were in the shade the whole time. I was mainly trying to get them out in the breeze in hopes that the stems would toughen up a little. I won't be able to start hardening them off for another month or so.

Tim

• leafericson
    10 years ago

OK pepper novice... enouph is enouph.. you are now among the best!
    I must say " well done"
    I hereby declare you new new GW name to be "PepperPro" stop being modest and just take the name.. I think all will agree you have earned it:)
    PS, I checked and that name shows it is available.
    -Eric-

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I second it, Eric.

seysonn

• peppernovice
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys, but I assure you, I'm still learning. Just look to guys like Bill, Smokemaster, Bruce, etc., etc. Those guys are the pros.I can't wait to see all the pics and vids form you guys and gals.

Tim

10 years ago

Tim: well, I'm still flummoxed. When did you do the 1st pot up? How many sets of true leaves?

I use MG orchid mix and MG Organic choice mix with some added perlite... Your mix can't make too much a difference, but maybe it does. I've heard good things about fafard's but it can't be steroidal mix. Can't get it here in Socal. I can't see the lime and osmo making a huge difference either in such a short period. My lights and schedule are the same. Any added warmth? Maybe it's the water -- i know my alkaline water sucks... 8.1 ph

In any case, how about pepper veteran as a new nick? You are NO novice.

Kevin

• jutsFL
    10 years ago

Great lookin plants! Definitely doing everything right for them... Wish mine were looking like that.

• peppernovice
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm really not sure Kevin. I planted earlier this year than I ever have, and they seem to be growing like crazy. I planted in January last year, and they are already bigger now than they were in April last year. I'm hoping my friend picks his plants up soon so I'll have room to start my short season peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, etc.

Tim

10 years ago

Tim: cukes and other cucurbits do better direct sown. Or if you do them in pots, make sure you don't leave them in the containers for more than a few weeks max., including hardening.

You could always leave your friend's in a window. Legginess shouldn't be a problem at this point.

Kevin

• peppernovice
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Do you sow your cucumbers after the last predicted frost? I started mine in doors last year just to get a head start.

Tim

10 years ago

LMAO.. Last predicted frost. What's that? J/k

We get frost but it's all gone usually by Feb and the lastest, by march 1. But It's usually still too cool at night for any warm weather veggies until Mid March/ Apr 1. I've planted in Mid March, but any summer crop just sits there doing nothing for the next 3 weeks. I've learned -- April 1st for everything warm weather except Green beans (little later) and sweet potatoes.(may/june) Have only done them a couple times-- I never have the slips growing inside in harmony with the weather.

Actually, I think cukes can actually tolerate a bit cooler weather than say peppers and maters.

I used to try to get a leg up on them like you did. But the seedlings grow so fast that it isn't worth the hassle. Not too mention that I noticed that cucurbits just don't like small containers. If you notice the seedlings at the nurseries, they're very young with just the cotyledons and a true leaf.

Kevin

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Starting Cucumbers et al;

They are very cold sensitive. Even when the danger of the LF is over, they might not sprout readily out in the garden, until the soil warms up a bit. So, for this reason it makes sense to start them indoors a couple of weeks early, in deep and larger pots. I will do that in the cold frame, along with some cool crops.

10 years ago

Seysonn: I never have problems with cokes sprouting in the ground in "cooler" weather. I'll agree that if frost hits them one bit(whether babies or adults), they're goners. But, germination isn't a problem with them as opposed to peppers and tomatoes.

Kevin

• tomt226
    10 years ago

Damn good lookin' plants. You got the 'touch" son...

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Kevin,
    Sure , you are in San Diego, zone 10. Of course !

This post was edited by seysonn on Fri, Feb 21, 14 at 7:28

• pepperdave
    10 years ago

Are you going to put them in larger pots? I live in zone 7b and mine dont go out till mid May. I started mine yesterday out of impatience I might be early. Last year I was late April 3rd. My plants were about the size of yours when I put them out Memorial day even then I was running out of space.All I can say is Wow you got a big jump on the year and like always there's no turning back now. Good job

• User
    10 years ago

Great job Tim!

You're definitely off to a fantastic start.

Keep the video updates coming,

Bill

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I live in zone 7b and mine dont go out till mid May.(pepperdave).
    *^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Dave,
    Zone numbers can be some indicators but often not relevant when it comes to summer gardening. I have gardened in GA , zone 7b and now in WA zone 7b. The two are a world apart when it comes to summer gardening. Both zones have about the same LF date (Early Apr.) But I have planted tomatoes in GA in late march few time(per long forecast). Here in WA, last year I planted my tomatoes in mid May. The weather was still on the chili side even then And during the whole summer we get cool weather (mostly 55- 70).
    Where as in Atlanta it were like 75 to 90F. That is an average 20F difference yet both are zone 7b.

Sponsored