Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fox Scopes Out My New Bed

Posted by TomT226 8 (tdrathompson@hughes.net) on
Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 17:29

She'll eat tomatoes, but I've never seen one eating peppers. The lights in the GH attract insects which she chows on.
Hoping for a chupacabra. Those puppies eat anything.
Anybody had any feral hogs destroy your plants? Real PITA...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fox Scopes Out My New Bed

Wow you have a spy cam in your garden?!

I'm Inspired!!!

o

Cool shot.

No feral hog problem here, just groundhogs (woodchucks). The past few years I've been humanely trapping them and relocating them to a local armed forces rifle range.

o

That is a cool shot. A Gray Fox?

We have feral hogs in our area, but they just shread the lawns looking for grubs. Never heard of them eating chili plants. I dont have grass anymore so it is no problem for me.

Now if I could just get rid of the squirrels. Those buggers dig up the plants all the time, even sneeking into the greenhouse when it is open. Ahhhhhh.

o

hmm, I'm not surprised. Some of our furry friends are just nuts. My cat is one of them. He can not be let anywhere near my seedlings. He has levelled whole trays of them before. And I thought for sure he wouldn't touch the peppers, but he managed to trim those as well.

o

Let the fox grab ahold of a ghost or scorpion pepper. Pretty sure that will be last time it comes near

o

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 20:29

Yep, all mammals are sensitive to the capsicum in peppers. They will still tear up the plants however, even if they don't eat or mess with the pods. My dog loves to chew up any plant I have growing in the house that is within reach. He has even chewed a few peppers (mild ones).
Never really understood why animals like to trash garden plants. There are billions and billions of weeds out there but they will pick the garden plant every time. Awesome photo of the fox by the way.
Bruce

o

COOL!! Nice photo - Gorgeous creature. My BIL has a red fox living in their neighborhood, I haven't gotten to see it yet. :-(

Pam

o

Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 20:52

For the last two years or so, i had seen a beautiful red fox in our neighborhood about every other week or so when I would come home late. It was usually just a glimpse in the headlights but it was always a thrill to see him. But last fall when I was out walking on the highway near our house, I saw a road kill red fox on the road. I just knew it was my buddy. i haven't seen him since and I miss him. I guess it was just the one and he didn't have a mate or any kids. Siggghhhhhhh
Bruce

o

Please see attached

:)

Here is a link that might be useful: What Does the Fox Say?

o

Ottowapepper wrote:

"The past few years I've been humanely trapping them and relocating them to a local armed forces rifle range."

LMFAO .. you're a funny man, Bill!

Oh, and nice pic, Tom.

Kevin

o

LoneCowboy,
Gotta keep track of the critters that eat stuff out of the garden and sneak around. Had something tear 2X6's off a deck and leave deep gouges in a concrete step. It's either a mountain lion or a chupacabra. Maybe a 'coon on steroids...

o

Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 6:15

LoneCowboy: Most likely it was Aphids. They are pretty big this year
Photobucket
Bruce

o

RonnyBI23,
I've got squirrels and 'coons, plus crows and blue jays that love to peck holes in tomatoes. Best medicine for them is a piece of 5' remesh formed in a column 3' in diameter, covered with chicken wire. Cover the top too. Actually, you can make it any size you want. Just set it over the plant and remove it when you want to pick. Really frustrates the hell our of'em. Interestingly enough, my critters don't seem to bother any plants with yellow fruit, only red and green...

o

jtight,
Last year I had lots of squirrels at my 'maters, so I took a couple Ghosts and strung them to an uncovered plant. Saw a squirrel grab one and take it into a tree to eat it. After the first bite he dropped it real quick, came down and started running around and wiping his face in the grass. Rabbits eat the foliage and fruit of Tepins and Pequins without any problem.

o

ottawapepper,
LMAO,
Friend of mine discourages feral hogs from raiding his peanuts by planting every other row in horseradish. Maybe the 'chucks won't like it either?

o

Damn birds got me last year. Jokers would get into GH a/ snack away. I'd walk in a/ see pods on the ground everywhere. Too bad they are immune to the heat. Got me a fake owl statue for this year, hopefully that will deter them from doing "fly bys."

A .22-.250 works great as a solution to your fox.

o

jtight,
You might want to try using netting in your GH. I had a problem with birds building nests in my heater, but some hardware cloth over the openings cured that.
We like having the critters around, even a javalina or two, but the feral hogs are a problem as they can go through any fence. Kida like 300 lb. armadillos...

o

Good quality air rifles keep the pest at bay here
Nothing sold at Walmart is of good quality

o

Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 9:26

Crossman 760 is a pretty descent air gun unless you want to pay a lot more. I have taken to using my .22 with CCI Quiet 22 rounds. They are very quiet, low powered but will kill most small critters and don't have the risk of longer range regular rounds. I realize the lethal option isn't for everyone, but sometimes it comes down to my peppers or the critter digging them up. Believe me, I have shot the exact same squirrel multiple times with a BB gun only to find him digging in my pepper garden the next day. I even live trapped them and spray painted the little bastards to verify they were the same ones. I caught one in the same live trap three times in a week. The same blue, yellow, orange squirrel. Now the "Dead" squirrel.
Bruce

o

A .22/.250 is a little load for city (neighborhood) removal. My guess is your neighborhood is a little more rural?

Either way. To minimize noise take a .22 put .22short rounds in clip. Apply couple layers of duct tape to a 20oz bottle. Tape bottle to end of muzzel. This will give you about 3 shots w/ very very minimal noise.

Not that I've ever done that. :)

o

I have no problem putting tree rats in my freezer,they are very fine eatin year round.
I shoot an FX Bobcat in .25 cal which is extremely accurate out to 100yds.No such thing as "wounded" here.

o

Cough cough *crossbow* cough

o

Hrrumph! Foxes eat rats and tree rodents when they catch them. Lesson: Take out the predators and end up hip deep in the prey.

Dennis

o

Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 14:39

I dont think any one is advocating shooting a fox. Squirrels (tree rats) were the only vermin specifically mentioned so far...I think.

o

DMForcier,
Exactly. Live WITH nature instead of competing...

o

Nope, never ever ever hunt outside an area legal for hunting, outside a designated hunting season, or with improper hunting equipment and license (that goes or squirrels too)!!! It will get you in deep deep deep do do! I personally agree with DMForcier and would not hunt a Fox. That being said, a crossbow is quieter and won’t travel nearly as far as the previously recommended .22. Check your local department of natural resources laws before you take aim at the next pesky critter.

o

"Exactly. Live WITH nature instead of competing..."

That’s all well and good TOMT. But when you have busted your butt for 7 or more months and spent god knows how much time and money on your garden, you what to enjoy the fruit of your labors. And when some cockamamie opossum steals all you tomatoes one at a time as they ripen, so you don’t even get one ripe tomato, it is enough to send even the most piece loving gardener into a killing frenzy. JK but it really does make you mad!

o

Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 17:07

Caddy Shack!

Photobucket
Bruce

o

Set up bait stations with dingers and have "pest" night
Keeps the garden trolls under control here every season
If you need more 411 on effective pest control with air rifles just drop me a line and Ill cue you on what to buy from Home Depot :)
Being a good shot helps greatly before heading to Home Depot LOL!

o

scott123456,
Yeah, I hate losing 'maters to critters, but like I said before, get a roll of 6" remesh, and bend a column of the desired diameter, and cover it with chicken wire. It comes in 5'X150' rolls, and for a 42" diameter column, it takes a piece 11' long. The rolls are 150' long, so you'll have plenty.
As far as cross bows go, they will do the job on squirrels, and feral hogs...or anything else. My compound bow will shoot completely through a hog or a deer, but when miss, you destroy an arrow or put a hole in something you don't want to. X-bows generally have speeds over 350 FPS.
The biggest problem I have is the damn squirrels chewing holes in my drip lines during the summer. Now, I just put'em inside PVC or route the 1/2" inside the cages. Live and learn, live and let live...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here