Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
habjolokia

Picture Thread - part Deux

habjolokia z 6b/7
11 years ago

I enjoyed the pic post but it has reached it's limit of 150 posts. here is the original post by Bill_Missy

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/pepper/msg0108473913384.html?150

Updated Ghost, Ghost with Stingers, and White Habs

Mark

Here is a link that might be useful: Original thread

Comments (135)

• hillseeker
    11 years ago

My seedlings are still quite small compared to some of your recent pictures. When did you guys start them? My 7 pots are really small still. Is that normal? I know my lighting source is crap but it has to make do. Trying my best to supplement with real sunlight.

I'm glad they are small as we've just received a good 2-3 feet of snow in the last two weeks. It's going to take a bit to melt as we had a decent amount already. I've procrastinated started my tomatoes and now unsure if I should wait another week. I'm thinking tomorrow is best though.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hillseeker those are a nice size, and they are slower growing by nature for being super hots. I like mine to be compact so I keep the light close, those they may have taller plants you will see more space between the leaves as they reach for light. Those that keep the light close the plants are more compact and for indoor limited space it's a good thing. Once they finally get outdoors they will explode with growth.

I started these Jan 12th the same as the ones pictured at the top of this thread. They are Bhut, Stinging Bhut, White Habanero.

Mark

• hillseeker
    11 years ago

Thanks for the vote of confidence Mark. My lights are not adjustable right now either so I know they are reaching for light, especially since it's crappy to begin with. Not much thought went into starting this many seedlings while overwintering large plants as well. Next year I have a new plan though! Your plants look really healthy. I bought a white hab from a greenhouse a few years back and it turned out to be some strange cross that was not very tasty. Hotter than heck though. Curious to see what you think.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My plants are under T12 1 Grolux plant bulb and 1 cool white both 40 W bulbs. One thing I noticed even though I have heard the grow lights are just so the price is jacked up a bit and no different that a regular bulb my seedlings beg to differ, if I put them under the side of the normal bulb instead of the middle or over the grow bulb they reach for the GroLux bulb. I take that not as a matter of opinion but matter of fact from the plants. Anyone else have an opinion or is my other bulb just plain wrong?

I got my white Hab seeds from another forum member and I will update on what I think of them.

Mark

• jifjifjif
    11 years ago

I think for next growing season, I will purchase a 48" shop light with four grolux bulbs. This year's 24" shop light didnt cut it.

• romy6
    11 years ago

Lizard on my 7 pot yellow plant bowing up to me:)

Small harvest of yellow scoprs, choc habs, tiny 7 pot browns and some nagas, and inmature barrackpores

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jamie nice pepper trees, guess a lizard is a good friend to have around. I can't wait until I am finally at the pod stage stage. Nice looking collection bet you are waiting for those summer pods.

Here is an update of my plants, top three from left to right Ghost, Stinging Ghost, White Hab. Bottom two White Hab, Ghost. Not pictured my tiny Black Pearl.

One of my white habs had flower buds forming.

Mark

• ab2008
    11 years ago

Habaneroes are starting to bud up!

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nice, well underway to a good season. My Habs are doing the same, I planted seeds on Jan 12th is that around the time you planted too?

Mark

• Bill_Missy
    11 years ago

Here is a picture of my over wintered Tabasco I grew from seed last year. I have done absolutely nothing to this plant since the end of last year. It has stayed outside all fall/winter with a watering about twice a month. It is in VERY dense soil as I did not know what I was doing last year (This year either, but reading more :) ). It seen some good freezes and hard frost and it is alive⦠Maybe I will throw it some ferts today.

Bill

• Bill_Missy
    11 years ago

Sorry, had to post this one also Ginger, the dog wanted her picture taken. The plant is pushing 4 feet tall.

Bill

• ab2008
    11 years ago

Mark,

Those habaneros I started on Feb. 4th

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Your plants look amazing, Mark!

And if ya'll haven't watched Jaime's update videos, you should. He has tons of mature pepper plants, some leafing out, some recovering, some fruiting already.

Here are my overwintered plants...Black Pearl and Manzano. They sure handled the Winter well.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ab2008 wow nice job for starting in feb, looking good and in good shape for the outdoors soon.

Thanks Josh. Those are nice looking over winters, it's a good feeling to get a jump on the season. I tried once they made it through the winter just to die in the spring. Though I did not trim the roots or repot or harden off. I may give it a go after this season.

Waited a bit long before repotting these two today.

Mark

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Yep, that's root-bound ;-)

Josh

• Bill_Missy
    10 years ago

Mark,

I have looked at some of my plants and they are like yours, root bound. Do you do anything to them before transplanting? i.e. cut the ball a little, pull the roots ways, Squeeze the root ball, etc?

Bill

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Bill, after repotting last season into a clear plastic cup and being able to look at the roots as they grow, I see no need to put them in shock any more than necessary to repot. I know some say to cut or pull the bottom to assist the roots. I don't and see no ill effect.

Here is the other one from a distance so you can see the plant to pot/root ball size as you can see I waited a bit longer than I should have. The leaves are slightly yellower than the ones repotted weeks ago. But they will bounce back in a few days.

Mark

• pepper_rancher
    10 years ago

That hornworm eating the pepper is hilarious... but that would have been one dead caterpillar if I had caught it in the act.
    Have you used bacillus thuringiensis to kill off caterpillars before? That should take care of the problem...

• tsheets
    10 years ago

Those roots are insane, Mark!! The plant doesn't look like it's at all unhappy about it, either.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks tsheets, yeah they did not complain too much, except slight yellowing needed more room and more ferts. They are doing fine after the repot. My white habanero seems to think its time to put out flower buds lol.

Mark

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the full size of the white Hab it's shooting lower branches which is interesting. Anyone experience this also with Habs? My ghost are just as tall but no lower branches or buds.

Mark

• jifjifjif
    10 years ago

Here Is The View From My Chair On My Screened Porch. 75F At 9:30Am.

Everyone Is Happy.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jifjifjif looking good, is the one in the big pot an over winter or a super fast grower? I see the grill is ready for some pods to be roasted. The weather looks so warm in FL I need some of that up in MD. It's warming up but not enough for me to place outside.

Mark

• jifjifjif
    10 years ago

Hey, Hab.

The Biggest One Is A Dorset Naga That I Planted Last February. It Gave Me 22 Pods A Few Months Ago.

• romy6
    10 years ago

Yellow scorp

Jonah pod ( seeds Ottawapepper via peppernovice)

7pot yellow x choc bhut f3

viper x purple bhut

Mother nature at it's finest on Jonah 7 plant

• ab2008
    10 years ago

Mark,

My orange habaneros have lots of growth on the lower parts of the plants as well. My other variety of habaneros don't just yet. The one or two habs I have in hydroponics looks like a jungle at the bottom lol. I'll upload a pic here in a few.

• ab2008
    10 years ago

Hydroponic Habanero up top, and on the bottom here, is what the rest of mine look like:

• ab2008
    10 years ago

Got the spot where I'm going to plant my peppers tilled and worked up, it's 12'x32' ish, used to be the area where we put bails of hay for cattle, so lots of manure and hay that's decomposed over a few years.. Should do extremely well here.. the dirt is extremely dark and not much has really ever been planted here... Don't mind how hazy it is, some of the woods are on fire back in the forest where I live. Been like this a couple of days now. But on the bright side, today was the peppers first full day outside. Next week they'll finally be planted in the garden.

This post was edited by ab2008 on Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 21:08

• tsheets
    10 years ago

That looks awesome, ab! I'm jealous of that space...and view!

• jifjifjif
    10 years ago

All of my plants in their final habitat. Here's to a great yield for all!

• teyo
    10 years ago

some of you may remember my experiment with 4 scotch bonnets in a teeny tiny cottage cheese cup (200g cheese).
    well, i took pity on them yesterday and repotted them to a more decent size pot. the biggest one started to put out buds.
    this is what they looked like before repotting

and this is after

i fully expect them to keep their growth rate and reach at least 10 meters tall in this pot :))

• Kalie
    10 years ago

My peppers were smaller and lighter green than most of the pictures I've seen here. For anyone who wants to comment, what kind of fertilizer have you been using during the indoor stage?

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Kalie, it all depends on what you use for soil. For me just MG Orchid mix and MG Organic choice which contains 3mo of fertilizer. Others who use say a 5-1-1 mix or another brand of soil without fertilizer would then need to add ferts. After the initial 3 months I go with Alaska fish fert NPK 5-1-1 also will use MG liquid feed NPK 12-4-8. Others on the forum have favored dyna-grow foliage pro NPK 9-3-6

Here is a pic of my current plants no additional ferts as of yet just what's in the soil with added bone meal for future use.

• PepperGuy222
    10 years ago

I have 4 Naga Viper plants and here is the biggest. Theyre taking some time to grow but, as I posted in another thread but got no response, whats to hate about these peppers? Everyone says theyre over rated?
    I hope not as I have 4 of these and many other super hots.

• cjohansen
    10 years ago

@teyo I don't know what you're doing, but it sure seems to be working :) Are you still growing three in that pot? I'm trying a 3-in-1 trick with some tomatoes. Growing three plants in one container. As they grow, I fill in dirt, pushing the stems to the edge. The idea is to end up with one hell of a root ball and three really sturdy branches, resulting in one heavy producer of a tomato bush :)

• peppernovice
    10 years ago

Pepperguy222.....I think the over rating refers to the level of heat. They were touted as the world's hottest for a very brief period. It seems they were very inconsistent. This was explained in another thread.( I think by Mark) I've never grown them, so I can't comment on taste. Why don't you give us a review when you harvest some pods? There are plenty of people here who love growing peppers for the flavor. It's not always about melting your gums. Good Luck.

Tim

• romy6
    10 years ago

Plants are really going off right now. Flower and buds every where

aji lemon

7 pod Brrackpore

Not white Bhut

Aji lemon close up

Not douglah hybrid

Bhut With A Bite :)

• jifjifjif
    10 years ago

Here is my Dorset Naga planted 2/1/12

This post was edited by jifjifjif on Fri, May 17, 13 at 15:51

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Awesome looking Dorset naga, nice overwinter. Here is my, I think filius blue still waiting on confirmation

Mark

This post was edited by habjolokia on Fri, May 17, 13 at 16:39

• Hiddenleafgrower
    10 years ago

Hey guys, I'm new to the site. This is by far my favorite part of the site, I might ramble on a bit about my Black Pearl Peppers, But I started growing them a couple years ago and I am just very proud of them and the way they look. I had my first plant that I kept inside during the winter and it died last year at 3 years old, wish I had pics to post of it. I do however have pics of my new plants this one was taken last week.

• Hiddenleafgrower
    10 years ago

Sorry, I double posted.

This post was edited by Hiddenleafgrower on Sun, May 19, 13 at 3:19

• bberkmor
    10 years ago

Couple Pics After watering when I got home from work.

This is a mystery plant that was supposed to be a Bhut last year but clearly was not. Possibly a Twilight, Bolivian rainbow or some type of Cross who knows :) Overwintered cut to stem in a 6 inch pot. Keeping it as an ornamental plant not looking for productivity but has tons of pods and is my healthiest plant.

Close up Same plant

TS Butch T, Bishops Crown, Bhut Jolokia, Red Savina. All had lots of leaf damage and loss from wind and cold a couple weeks ago. In 16 inch pots. Red Savina is flowering like crazy but wont set pods :(. All 4 have flower drop so far.

I also have 9 plants in a in ground Garden at my In Laws house that gets much better sun. Last time I was there the scotch bonnet had one set baby pod and that was it so far for the 9 plants. All experienced same cold and wind problems :( But are coming back nicely.

• locoguy
    10 years ago

started growing this a few months ago......

• locoguy
    10 years ago

All grown up now.........

• locoguy
    10 years ago

And producing pods

• northern_hab
    10 years ago

A couple of pods on my first attempt at over wintering a Jalapeno.
    This is the third set of pods from the plant. Kept in a south facing window in my office at work. A coworker and I share them when ready to to eat.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My crossed pod that holds the seeds of a white bullet Hab X Bhut

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

White Bullet Hab powder

• RettaM
    10 years ago

Here is my first little Bhut pepper. I am at least fairly certain that is what I had, I bought the peppers fresh at a farmer's market. They were bumpy, and pointed like the ones I have seen here, but from what I recall they ranged in color from red to brown. I am not sure which I grew the seeds from, so it will be interesting to see what comes out. I grew this little one inside, because I started it at an odd time of year. I will probably move it to a bigger pot, so I can move it outside come summer. Thanks for sharing all your photos and tips.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I have been test germinating for a while, one or two at a time. My hab is about the size of your bhut.

I like pictures two. I think you/we need to start the 3rd part. It takes too long to get to the bottom. PLUS some of the pictures have become irrelevant.

I look forward to posting my picture in the 3rd thread.

Sponsored
Brenda M. Miller Designer of Interior Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars73 Reviews
Client-Oriented Interior Design in Loudoun County | Best of Houzz X6