Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peppernovice

First time fertilizing......

peppernovice
11 years ago

I was just curious to get everyone's input. Last year, I didn't fertilize till after my plants were outside. I believe some fertilize seedlings, they just dilute whatever fertilizer they are using. When do you fertilize for the first time, and what do you use?

Tim

Comments (14)

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

Hi Tim I use MG Orchid mix which contains a slow release fert lasts up to 3 months and I also mix in 1/2 MG organic soil. So I usually let them be first two months then go with Alaska fish fert 5-1-1.

This season I do plan to use Kelp/seaweed fert also may look into a slow release fert.

Mark

• peppernovice
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Mark. My first round of plants is nearing 1 month. I was just curious as to whether they would benefit from fertilizer, or if I should wait. I'm anxious to hear everyone's input.

Tim

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Hey, Tim, I fertilize with a 1/4 strength dose once my seedlings have their first set of true leaves. While indoors, I keep the dose on the light side; once outside, I start working my way up to full-strength (around June).

Josh

• peppernovice
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Josh! I've seen your plants, so I know that works. Last year, I thought I had some nice plants until you posted pics of your plants.

Tim

• cheezdoodle12
    11 years ago

I give my seedlings VERY diluted fertilizer on no set schedule.. basically every 3rd or 4th watering. It's blue MG crystals that I mix with water. Not sure if it helps them much but my indoor growing area isn't very plant-friendly so I treat them from time to time.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

I fertilize mine about like cheezdoodle. I give them some diluted ferts (Dyna-Gro 9-3-6) every third or fouth watering.
    Bruce

• ab2008
    11 years ago

How big should their true leaves be though before fertilizing? I notice some folks plants, in one week intervals grow like wild fire, and some of mine just aren't lol.

Do you wait till they are a certain size? Mine are just getting their true leaves, should I now? Wait a week or two? I've also read it's unnecessary, but I'd love to know how some peoples plants practically double in size over one week hah

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

I would give them a shot if the soil you are using doesn't have any built in. Like if you are using a basic peat mix. How old are your seedlings? I would expect them to start putting out true leaves about a week after they sprout.
    Bruce

• ab2008
    11 years ago

Bruce,

Right now I'm just using some basic seed starter mix, nothing too special.

In the pic you can see my how my Habanero's are doing. I planted these guys on the 4th of Feb, they have been up a little over a week.

• peppernovice
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You also have to remember that it depends on the variety. Long season peppers aren't going to grow as fast as say jalapenos. It all depends on whether it's a chinense,baccatum, annum, etc.

Tim

• ab2008
    11 years ago

Tim,

A couple were chinense (and more specifically 7 pods, and a couple of bhuts) as well as many more overall.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

I wait until the true leaves are at least 75 percent mature.

Josh

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    11 years ago

I usually wait until the SECOND set of true leaves just start to appear.

Kevin

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

Josh said > "I fertilize with a 1/4 strength dose once my seedlings have their first set of true leaves."

That's comforting since I'm doing something similar. I am using Osmocote in the mix, but to make something available immediately I tried this:

When potting from the starter cells (when true leaves are established) I am moving into slightly damp 5:1:1. I plant, then soak the pot in a mild All-Purpose MG solution and drain. The next watering will be water.

So far nothing has died.

Sponsored