Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thismembername

black spots on leaves on pepper plants with pictures

thismembername
11 years ago

Hey

these plants are about a month in, but they have started to develop what appears to be black spots on the leaves.

I water once every three or so days (when top soil is dry). I use a highly diluted fertilizer (MG liquid) mixed with water every other watering. Its diluted twice as much as it should be.

Comments (32)

• thismembername
    Original Author
    11 years ago

another picture

• thismembername
    Original Author
    11 years ago

and more pics

This post was edited by thismembername on Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 18:04

• thismembername
    Original Author
    11 years ago

pics of larger area

• thismembername
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I attempted to clean the leaves with a napkin and water with no success. I did notice that the two plants effected are of the same type.

Twilight.

Any ideas?

• gardendrivenlife
    11 years ago

To me, fwiw, they look like smallish leaves that don't seem to matter much. Kinda like children's baby teeth. If it's not spreading or getting worse, I would pinch them off. Be careful with watering(especially the leaves), make sure they drain well. Also monitor for further spread. Jmtcw

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Yes, what gardendrivenlife says. But I think I have a more specific explanation and even a more comforting one. Those look like the "Seed Leaves". The first leaves to appear on new sprouts. Eventually, the baby plants grow true leaves and they take over. The seed leaves eventually fall off and that is completely normal. The seed leaves would be the bottom most leaves on each plant.
    Great looking plants so far.
    Bruce

• robeb
    11 years ago

You may be overwatering and overfertilizing.

Watering every 3 days or so (even if the top is dry) is probably overkill if you are soaking them through. Pepper seedling roots do not like to be constantly wet.
    Even a diluted fert as often as you are applying is way too much.

As Bruce said the yellow leaves are the seed leaves (cotyledons). They will die off as the seedling gets its true leaves.

You also have more than one seedling in the cup in at least your first few pics. I'd thin them out to one plant per container.

Actually your seedlings look pretty healthy to me. Good luck with this growing season.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

You should be able to tell if it is just affecting the seeds leaves. If it is, it is simply the seed leaves dying which is completely normal. If it is affecting other leaves but just the lower leaves, it is still probably just normal die off. One mistake that a lot of pepper growers make is to start changing everything when they perceive any slight abnormality. This often leads to bigger and actual problems. I don't think anything that have done so far will make things worse other than maybe taking away the fan.
    My thoughts are that you may be over reacting a bit and I would put the fan back at this point. Lack of air circulation can result in a lot more problems. Be careful that you don't love your peppers to death.
    Bruce

• thismembername
    Original Author
    11 years ago

haha yeah your probably right

i also now read that 3 percent hydrogen peroxide has a chemical stabilizer ... maybe I shouldn't of used it.

• thismembername
    Original Author
    11 years ago

When people talk about using a milk water mix, is this just for foliar spray or can this be used to treat soil when watering also?

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

I have no idea about the milk thing. Never heard of it before but I doubt very much that it would be good to water your plants with a water/milk mix. Seems like you would quickly have mold and a host of other problems within days. As far as the 3% HP, I have used that to treat for fungus gnats in the past at 5 to 1, water to HP ratio. It never seemed to bother the plant in the least...maybe even perked them up if anything. Another positive side affect other than stopping the gnats was that it tended to loosen up the soil that can get compacted in small starter containers. I wouldn't worry about the HP, but I don't recommend watering with a milk mixture unless you get some better advice on that subject.
    Bruce

• thismembername
    Original Author
    11 years ago

looks like it may be coming back on other leaves. I let teh plants get bone dry and watered again, noticed some black spots on upper leaves now. i'll post some pics soon

• leafericson
    11 years ago

Please don't water your plants with milk; they will end up smelling very sour. Milk/water mix is used as a foliar spray for powdery mildew and similar fungus that affects the leaves.

Eric.

• leafericson
    11 years ago

Please don't water your plants with milk; they will end up smelling very sour. Milk/water mix is used as a foliar spray for powdery mildew and similar fungus that affects the leaves.

Eric.

• thismembername
    Original Author
    11 years ago

whole grow area again

• thismembername
    Original Author
    11 years ago

black spots seen here on the leaf on top in the background

• thismembername
    Original Author
    11 years ago

spots starting on the bottom of this leaf

• thismembername
    Original Author
    11 years ago

one more

• thismembername
    Original Author
    11 years ago

oddly enough this is a ghost pepper that just sprouted not to long ago, is it just me or are the leaves on this really dark also

• thismembername
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Am I over analyzing, or do you think i have a problem i should keep watching closely?

I cant tell if these black spots are natural on the leaves, or something i should be more concerned with.

Thanks eric, I ended up not watering with milk. I figured it was just for foliar.

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

Uh ... leprosy?

• thismembername
    Original Author
    11 years ago

pic of progression, larger and darker spots, spreading to other plants

• thismembername
    Original Author
    11 years ago

more

• thismembername
    Original Author
    11 years ago

black spots starting on this leaf. you can see a thin black line around the edge of the leaf.

• thismembername
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think im going to pull the effected plants out and trash them before it effects all my plants

• thismembername
    Original Author
    11 years ago

not much progression of black spots on plants, except for one leaf in the pic provided, this looks different though.

• thismembername
    Original Author
    11 years ago

second pic, any suggestions or ideas what this could be. Same issue you think?

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

This post may be of assistance leaves look similar to some of your earlier pics you posted

Mark

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to GW thread that may help

• ab2008
    11 years ago

Thanks Mark for posting that, now I know what may be wrong if I ever come across the same problem! Hope the OP has got the issues straightened out!

• andrew1981
    9 years ago

Any update on this as I have the same spots

• Dhana Chamberlain
    5 years ago

loo

Here are my perfect pepper plants. A the black spot appeared overnight. I think it may have been the heavy rains. Today, I am going to drain off any extra water that maybe in my pots.

Sponsored
Craftsman Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Home Builder 3x Best of Houzz Award Winner