Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I got a grow light!

Posted by Kywitt none (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 1, 12 at 18:00

I was finally able to get a (cheap) grow light for my pepper plant, and now I'm disproportionately excited about it.

:D

it's only sixty watts but I'm optimistic that it'll make a big difference.

Here is a link that might be useful: here's my blog post on it in case you're interested

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I got a grow light!

60 watts will keep it alive, but the plant won't fruit/flower.

o

And standard instructions if they didn't provide them with the light, put the light as close to the plant as possible without touching it. As the plant grows bigger, either move the light up or the plant down (I put CDs and books under my pots, so I can move them down individually instead of moving the light for everybody).

Lots of math condensed into a somewhat accurate summary, if you move the light source twice as far away, the light hitting the plant is 1/4 as strong (its not really that simple a ratio, but its close enough for government work), so every inch counts with a comparatively weak bulb.

But yes, grow lights are awesome.

o

• Posted by esox07 4a Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 2, 12 at 14:20

I am not sure exactly what kind of bulb is in that light but if it is an incandescent bulb, it may put out a good deal of directed heat with the light and might be too hot to put too close to the plant unless there is some air circulation involved. Just be careful you don't bake the top leaves.
Bruce

o

I was thinking the same thing as esox07. Those spot light looking things may be a lot hotter than florescent bulbs. Don't cook your babies!

o

Eep, thats what I get for not looking into the sub-links to see what kind of bulb it was. Yeah, those could throw out some heat, so be careful!

o

I've followed the instructions on the box and put it about a foot away, If it doesn't seem to do any good I'll move it slowly closer while keeping an eye out for burns.

thanks for the all the great advice!

o

along with placing the light as close to the plant as possible, I would invest in a timer. Set the timer so the light turns on at sunrise and off at sunset.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here