Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
river22_gw

Devils Tongue

river22
15 years ago

I am researching seeds I obtained called Devil's Tongue. Wikipedia says they are the same as Red Savina and other sites say they are the same as fatali. Can someone straighten me out?

Comments (14)

• chillithwillyway
    15 years ago

Yeah The devils tongue is avariation of a fatalli but hotter i think that it is a hybrid type fatali or something . Ps Do u have any extra seeds to spare

Email. Xavierdogbreeder@msn.com

• organicpepper_grower
    15 years ago

I received some of these seeds in a trade a while back and I cant get any to sprout, good luck. If anyone has seeds for these that will actually grow lmk.

• peppernc
    15 years ago

How are you germinating the seed?
    How long has it been?

IMHO, seeds need warmth.

• organicpepper_grower
    15 years ago

i use 4-cell trays or peat pellets. i keep everything in my indoor greenhouse, where it stays between 25-30C, i'm trying some more of these seeds now and they've been in for 1 week and a day, so since last tuesday. I know these can take up to a month to germinate but I heard the same thing about the Bhut Jolokia and they have sprouted no problem. Its all about how the seed was dried, a lot of seeds I got in trades have ben in pots for about a month and nothing, so I gave up on that bunch. The seeds that I dry grow with ease.

• organicpepper_grower
    15 years ago

Yeah 1 seed started to sprout!!

• peppernc
    15 years ago

FYI, there are some folks who really do not like peat for seedlings. These guys really discourage the use of peat.

http://www.ecoseeds.com/Pepper.growing.tips.html

a little warmer couldn't hurt 28-32C.

My Bhut Jolokias sprouted quickly (1-2 weeks) but tepins were (2.5 to 3 weeks).

good to hear about seed #1 !!! Name that plant hope.

• organicpepper_grower
    15 years ago

I'm not a big fan of peat pellets but they were cheap so I thought I would give them a try. I used them before with crappy results. but my Jalapenos are doing great in them.

• organicpepper_grower
    15 years ago

I looked at that web site and I must say I disagree with 90% of whats on there. The main reason not to use peat pellets is the enviromental aspects of it, harvesting our peat bogs for something that isnt really needed. I was looking at his list of peppers and their growth, according to that my Early Jal's that I grow shouldnt grow much more than 16 inches tall, hahaha mine were three feet tall and two feet wide, with probably at least 100+ pods per plant.

• lauxerz
    15 years ago

Grew 11 devils tongue plants last year. Ordered 10 seeds, received 11, and was very lucky and all 11 germinated. Very similar to fatali, but more aromatic & HOTTER. I was very pleased with this pepper. I kept seed from my peppers, and this year had problems with germination, not just from devils tongue, but all of the seeds I planted. I have to attribute it to the use of a starting mix with a higher % of PEAT, as that was the only variable this year as opposed to the last 4 years I have done this. The last 3 years I averaged 90% germination on all my peppers with exeption of the Chiltepins which was still about 75%. This year I averaged only 60% germination. Hope this helps.

• rick_in_va
    15 years ago

Hey lauxerz -

What mix did you use this year, and what were you using before that you had better luck with?

Rick

• fommy15
    9 years ago

I have had great success growing these guys. I currently have one plant in a hydroponic setup and its growing like crazy. I had them in dirt last year and they did great. I did nothing different from the rest of my peppers. Although I think they grow a bit slower, so start them indoors a week or two earlier than the rest.

Send me a note in October if you want some seeds. Mine seem to germinate great. They are crazy hot... although I suppose my tolerance is not super high.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Devil's Tongue is not the same as fatalii, though they are quite similar. Fatalii is African; DT is New World.

Devils Tongue is *not* the same as red savina. They are very different. For one thing, DT is yellow.

Fommy, side-by-side they are slower, smaller, and less prolific. (At least mine were.) Yes they are HOT. Good and tasty pepper.

Please contribute seeds to our upcoming seed exchanges. Devils Tongue is a variety that deserves to be grown more than it is.

Dennis

• fommy15
    9 years ago

I would love to contribute seeds. I will save lots this year. I tried to trade seeds last year and about half the people I sent seeds to never returned their part of the deal. It was rather sad for me in my first year of trading. Perhaps this pepper group is more reliable. Either way, I will gladly share these seeds. They have a unique taste that I find is great for my salsas and various things I pickle. I often just toss one in a jar with things like jalapenos to add spice and unique flavor.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

That's too bad. Here we run more massive seed exchanges where 100 people participate. Long-time and large-scale growers send in lots of seeds. There are always more seeds than people request. Newbies can come with nothing and walk away overloaded with dangerous seeds. The first year I got something like 40 varieties on top of what I wanted!

So start thinking up a want list.

Dennis

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer