Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jalapeno color and heat

Posted by nuwanda New Zealand (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 14, 06 at 18:38

Hi

I've got three very healthy Jalapenos all flowering and fruiting profusely. Two plants are of the same variety. These two plants have fruit that is turning from standard dark green to almost black. It's obviously because of sun exposure as the shaded side of the fruit is still just green. Is this a precursor to the fruit turning red? The fruit is healthy. This black area is not damaged in any way.

The other Jalapeno (not the same variety) doesn't react to the sun this way. All of it's fruit is still dark green and of the same age as the other two plants. It seems like this one isn't going to have fruit that go very dark. Also, this is the plant that I sampled a two inch pod from a few weeks ago and it wasn't hot at all, just fruity.

Anyone know wabout color changes in Jalapenos?

I don't know the two varieties of Jalapeno, I just know they're different. All very healthy plants. FYI, mid-Feb in my part of the world is equivelant to mid-August in the northern hemisphere.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jalapeno color and heat

• Posted by byron 4a/5b NH (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 14, 06 at 18:48

I've got three very healthy Jalapenos all flowering and fruiting profusely. Two plants are of the same variety. These two plants have fruit that is turning from standard dark green to almost black

Normal process

o

Black color is caused by a cross of a purlpe and brown pepper. But if the color is purple and just looks black this is sometimes caused by cool weather.

o

Purply-black coloring is only on the sunny side of the fruit. The other variety of Jalapeno doesn't exhibit this color change.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here