Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fusion_power

Hungarian Paprika peppers

fusion_power
12 years ago

Thought I would start an up to date discussion of Hungarian paprika types. Here is a link for thoughts.

http://www.hungariandeli.com/Peppers.htm

I've grown Alma Paprika and Hungarian Red Paprika. Anyone have a favorite paprika type?

DarJones

Comments (42)

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    12 years ago

Hi DarJones, I've only had Paprika from the store in powder form but thanks to ottawapepper I am growing Alma Paprika, will let you know once i taste them. Hungarian, care to send me any seeds I don't mind growing to compare. Thanks

Mark

• jsschrstrcks
    12 years ago

I'd be interested in Paprika as well... Is it much different from the store version to home grown?

• fusion_power
    Original Author
    12 years ago

There is a wide range of heat levels in paprika types as well a a range of flavors. The prized paprika producing varieties are difficult to find outside Hungary. Spain produces a lot of paprika as does the U.S. The wiki is worth reading for basic information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paprika

DarJones

• User
    12 years ago

To paraphrase DarJones; there is a wide range of Paprika peppers.

Various regions have their own Paprika varieties, each unique in their flavour and heat level.

If you're looking for a variety that tastes like your commercial store bought Paprika you ain't gonna find one. Store bought Paprika powder is a proprietary custom blend of "take your best guess" varieties.

Bill

• highalttransplant
    12 years ago

Jsschrstrcks, I have been growing Alma Paprika for several years now, and I think there is no comparison between homemade paprika and store bought. It is sweeter, and much more flavorful. The Alma Paprika fluctuates a little in heat level, but overall it is mild. Once dried and ground into a powder the heat is slightly more noticable.

This year, I made powders out of a lot of different types of peppers:

Cosa Arrugada - Sweet, no heat
    Chilhaucle Rojo - hotter than Alma Paprika, nice flavor
    Sandia - mild, flavorful, great for everyday cooking for non-chileheads
    Georgia Flame - Similar to Sandia

Aji Yellow - okay, this one wouldn't be considered paprika. Makes a yellow powder that is on the hot side, similar in heat level to a Cayenne powder, but more citrusy.

I also made one that was a blend of several varieties, such as Czechoslovakian Black, Santa Fe Grande, Fresno, and Alma Paprika. I just labeled it Hot Paprika, though heat wise I guess it's more of a medium.

Until I started making my own, I never really cooked much with paprika, because it had no taste, in my opinion. Now I add it to just about everything.

Bonnie

• Trishcuit
    12 years ago

Great. That's all I need. Another hobby. :)

• roper2008
    12 years ago

I grew alma paprika last year and will again this year. In addition I
    will also grow szegedy paprika this year.

• fusion_power
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My Alma Paprika plants are now about 2 inches tall... well, at least, they were. I potted them up into cell trays this evening so they are now about an inch above the soil level. That will give a very good root system.

DarJones

• jsschrstrcks
    12 years ago

Thanks for the update! I might have to add yet another variety haha.

Aji is quite good, I had some (and Rocoto) in Peru... I was quite fond of it.

I plan to smoke and then dehydrate a range of peppers this year too... I am anticipating a bumper crop (hopefully).

Ken

• bigoledude
    12 years ago

A couple of months ago we watched an episode of Andrew Zimmern's "Bizarre Foods that was shot in Hungary. He was amazed at the difference in the paprika being sold in Hungary compared to the tasteless stuff being sold here.

He said that there were several different paprika's sold in Hungary. He claimed that many Hungarians make their own. And that every one he tasted was immeasurably better than what's being sold here.

He was standing in front of an outdoor market filled with peppers. And, I've wanted to grow the peppers that would make a genuine paprika ever since

• clones2
    12 years ago

I grow Alma Paprika - and I would describe the taste as a medium spice when its ground.

I have been looking for something more smoky and spanish flavored... and havent had much luck yet.

• Tamas
    11 years ago

Hi guys , I`m hungaryan so sorry about my english , litle bit bad , but I have lot better paprikas ! We grow them and sell them , sweet and hot .
    Recoment to all : Cecei paprika , Karpia paprika , they are good for sandwitch and cooking , the grounded paprika : szegedi or kalocsai , you can find in Jons market or europan stores.The alma paprika better for pikling !
    I hope it was helpful . For more info or pictures go to facebook and chk my greenhouse pictures ( Tamas Lehmann ) , and all my information is public

• Tamas
    11 years ago
  • User
    11 years ago

Welcome Tamas and thank you for the information.

Good to know you recommend Kalocsai. I have some seed and am planning on growing it next season. I'll try to find some Szegedi seed based on your recommendation. I have grown the Alma and powdered it in the past, I never thought about pickling it. I'll definitely give it a try.

This year I'm growing Kurtovska Kapija which I understand is another Hungarian Paprika variety. Are you familiar with it and if so, any comments?

Bill

• tsheets
    11 years ago

I was just doing a google search on the Szegedi pepper you mentioned and found at least 3-4 different peppers. What do the ones you refer to look like, color, shape, heat, etc..?

• User
    11 years ago

LOL tsheets, I was thinking about you when I was writing my post.

• tsheets
    11 years ago

haha! Yep! I have been thinking for a while that I use store bought paprika often, but, it really doesn't have a lot of flavor like I'm sure it is supposed to have.

I've been wanting to try to make my own. So, I've been trying to find a couple different types of paprika pepper to try / blend.

Still watching the mailbox... anxious to try those Kalocsai as well as the Alma. Just wish I didn't have to wait until next season. :-)

• peppermeister1
    11 years ago

This year, I am growing the Cyklon chile from Poland. It is supposed to be a great pepper with nice heat for drying and making hot paprika. This one is about 4 inches long and 1 1/2 inches wide. I have about 5 that are ripened to red and ready for the dehydrator.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peppermeister - Hot Pepper Gardening, Recipes and Tips

• tsheets
    11 years ago

Cool! You'll have to let us know how it is! BTW, Happy B-Day, Peppermeister (day late, dollar short...) :-)

• peppermeister1
    11 years ago

Thanks Tsheets, one of my most beloved birthday gifts this year is my new Nesco Dehydrator. I stopped at the dollar store for some cool spice jars. I'm ready!

Here is a link that might be useful: PEPPERMEISTER! Hot pepper gardening, tips, and recipes

• highalttransplant
    11 years ago

Peppermeister, I like the look of the Cyklon, and may have to add that to next year's growlist, which is already getting kind of long, LOL!

The flesh on the Alma Paprika is thick, so I see why Tamas says it's better for pickling. I grew one last year labeled Kalocsai-V2. Bill, I wonder if it's the same as what you are growing. I have no idea what the V2 stands for.

Here is a pic of one:

I've also grown one called Giant Szegedi before, and it was similar to the ones in Tamas' picture, but they were very thick fleshed, like a bell, so I wouldn't think they would dehydrate well.

I'm growing about 50 different kinds of peppers this year, and can't wait to see which ones make the best powders. Hoping to come up with some new favorites!

Bonnie

• kuvaszlvr
    11 years ago

I like Leutschauer Paprika, not many places carry the seeds but it's worth taking the time to find. This is where I bought my seeds in the past
    http://whiteoakvalleyfarm.ecrater.com/p/10417095/leutschauer-paprika-hungarian-heirloom-hot
    Pam

• tsheets
    11 years ago

Thanks, Pam!

Bonnie - Not to speak for Bill, but, yes, the V2. How do I know that? Well, I just received some Kalocsai-V2 seeds from him as part of a nice little gift he sent my way. Thanks again bill! :-)

• User
    11 years ago

Thanks as well Pam.

Bonnie, I didn't grow the Kalocsai V2 this year. I ran out of space. I will grow it next year and it'll be the same as yours... you were kind enough to share some seed with me ;-)
    I shared half my Kalocsai wealth with tsheets so we'll be growing them this coming season.

• gardendrivenlife
    11 years ago

kuvaszlvr, I am new to growing Leutschaur paprika. Can you tell me about the taste, and whether you smoke it or not? I found my seeds this year from Baker Creek. It seems like a pretty prolific plant with several getting ready to ripen now. Can't wait!

• Calcat36
    11 years ago

I'm Polish too, and I would love some Cyklon seeds. I have some Polish tomato seeds to offer in return if that is ok.

• lorabell_gw
    11 years ago

All right, you all are killing me. You got me hooked on a new hobby(or obsession..take your pick) but I'm having a dickens of a time finding a source for the seeds. I was able to find Leutschauer paprika at Baker Creek but the only place I'm finding some of the others is Reimer (And Y' all scared me about buying from that place) plus they're out of stock on everything I want to try.

So, is there some secret squirrel place I don't know about for me to order these seeds from or what!

Laura

PS, I've just received 25 seeds of that Leutschauer pepper which means I have 20 too many...

• kuvaszlvr
    11 years ago

Sorry I missed this.

gardendrivenlife, it's hard to describe, I would say they are a bit sweeter and spicier than regular Hungarian Paprika (at least the plain old run of the mill, when you buy seeds that say "Hungarian Paprika"). They say they have some heat, but I have yet to notice it. They also have an absolutely wonderful aroma when dried...

• gardendrivenlife
    11 years ago

Thanks, think I'll smoke some and just dry some to compare.Unfortunately the heat has taken its toll and I won't be getting as large of a harvest. But at least a sampling anyway. Note to self: start earlier, plant some in pots.

• fusion_power
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Forum posters, would you be interested in getting a reliable source for open pollinated Hungarian Paprika varieties in the U.S.?

Glenn Drowns at Sandhill carries Hungarian Paprika and Alma Paprika. I grow seed for him. If I can locate seed of half a dozen paprika types, I can grow them in 2013 and send him enough seed to list them.

I found seed sources for 3 varieties in a cursory search yesterday. Please name the varieties you are interested in and give a seed source if you can. If you could provide 20 or so pure seed, please post here.

DarJones

• tsheets
    11 years ago

As I've been reading this thread and the links within, I've come to realize that the word "paprika" gets thrown around a lot when describing many varieties.

I am left wondering, what exactly makes paprika paprika? Could all pepper powders be considered paprika?

• roper2008
    11 years ago

I grew the cyklon 3 or 4 years ago. At that time I did not have a
    dehydrater, and it's too humid to air dry them in Virginia. I gave
    a lot away and pickled a few, even though it's not a pickling pepper.
    It tasted really good but too soft for pickling.

Rainbow chili seeds has different paprika peppers.

• fusion_power
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I searched a bit and found these paprika peppers.

Boldog Paprika
    Csecsei (Cecei) paprika
    Cyklon (from poland)
    Dulce Rojo Paprika
    Feher Ozon Paprika
    Karpia paprika
    Leutschauer Paprika
    kalocsai Paprika
    Pritamin Paprika
    Soroski Paprika
    Szegedi Paprika

DarJones

• lorabell_gw
    11 years ago

Roper, thanks for the source on Rainbow Chili seeds. I was able to order several of the peppers I had been searching out.
    Dar Jones, I was able to locate most of those, but it's hard to seach when I'm still unfamiliar with some of the names. (Still learning here!)

Also, most of those are from Reimers..Is that or is that not a reputable source to order?

We have been experimenting on some premade soups type mixes the last year or so..haven't got it quite right yet for production. I want to try as many paprika types this coming year and see what we can come up with in making some of our own spices as seasonings.

Thanks for your help.
    Laura

• User
    11 years ago

DarJones,

I'm not finding much info on Soroski. It it possible you're referring to Sorok Sari or Soroksari?

Laura,

Reimers doesn't have the best reputation, wrong and/or poor seed. Just sayin.

• fusion_power
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ottawa, it is from a post Smoke made about 8 months ago. When I went looking, it appears to be more likely Sorok Sari.

If you are interested in some of the unusual varieties above, there is a seller on ebay with 3 or 4 of them. He is selling commercially packed Hungarian peppers including a few paprika types. I don't regard ebay as a reliable source for most seed, but these are commercial packs from Hungary.

I found a few more varieties and one interesting website.
    http://paprika.com.hr/

Greygo can be added to the above variety list.

DarJones

• deanriowa
    11 years ago

Next season I am planning a paprika grow out and I have the following in stock or plan to purchase:

• Alma Paprika
    • Boldog Hungarian Spice Paprika
    • Feherozon Paprika
    • Hungarian Paprika
    • Szentesi Cserasznye paprika

Still looking for a few more grow out as well, I may have to trade for a couple more. If someone has any they want to trade let me know.

thanks,

Dean

• Zeak Rice
    10 years ago

New to growing "PAPRIKA" peppers. The commercial stuff my family used did not prepare me for 'hot' paprika. So, I got some Leutschauer seed n grew some this year [2013]. They were, to my surprise, hot. Not like the habs n 7 pots, etc. I grow but it surprised me by having some heat. I was grown them for my wife [Can't do hot]. Do you know of any that has no heat or next to none.

• Zeak Rice
    10 years ago

New to growing "PAPRIKA" peppers. The commercial stuff my family used did not prepare me for 'hot' paprika. So, I got some Leutschauer seed n grew some this year [2013]. They were, to my surprise, hot. Not like the habs n 7 pots, etc. I grow but it surprised me by having some heat. I was grown them for my wife [Can't do hot]. Do you know of any that has no heat or next to none.

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

You should be able to treat any fleshy, mild or sweet pepper as you would a "bona fide" paprika pepper. And yes, my almas are quite spicy too!

Dennis

• spicymike
    10 years ago

Does anyone know what varieties lifespices.weebly.com uses? They say they sell 4, but I can't tell what they are....

Here is a link that might be useful: Lifespices?

• SproutingLexi
    10 years ago

Hmm, I find it very interesting how many European languages refer to just about any bell pepper as Paprika. It seems that in order to get the kind of the spice we're used to getting in the powdered form, you have to grow specific varieties, but I was completely unaware of that until now.

I just had a good time reading up on the history of the varieties.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH