Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esox07

Post your seedling pics.... PT-2

Seems like a popular thread that warrants continuing.
Bruce

Comments (108)

• obchili
    10 years ago

First picture are a couple Moruga Scorpions. This picture are Caribbean Reds.

• obchili
    10 years ago

Here are my Unknown Chili's. Picture 1 of 2.

• obchili
    10 years ago

Unknown Chili's picture 2 of 2

• obchili
    10 years ago

Lastly my Brainstrain peppers. I do also have a few trays of various seedlings, but am just posting my larger peppers.

• wjp4140
    10 years ago

Ok, here are my babies. Thanks Eric!!!!!!!!!!!

• StupidHotPeppers
    10 years ago

Wjp, I would increase your light intensity a bit. If you can compare your stems to most others on here you will notice yours are very thin and leggy. What kind of light are you using?

• StupidHotPeppers
    10 years ago

4 weeks to 1 week old

• ghostJalokia
    10 years ago

How do these look? Newb pepper grower here.

• StupidHotPeppers
    10 years ago

Ghost- those look great. A common thing I notice in a lot of new growers i see is seedlings stretching for light. Your don't look all that bad ghost but I think you could bring your light a little closer possibly. Just a suggestion.

• ghostJalokia
    10 years ago

Thank you. From reading alot of posts here I was thinking they looked a bit leggy as well.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

Put a fan on them, that will thicken them up!

• peppernovice
    10 years ago

Good looking plants guys. I haven't read this thread in a while. It looks like everyone is getting things ready to go outside. It's still about 2 weeks till we can plant out where I live. Keep those pics coming!

Tim

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Tim, your plants are READY. I watched the video. Two more weeks ? I hope to take mine out in about 3 weeks.

What is your criterion for night lows to plant out ?

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

wow, two months at least for me. I will at least get them some mini-green house time here in a couple more weeks...I hope!
    Bruce

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

If it's 40 outside and sunny, it's 60-70 in the cold frame, so they go out once temps reach 40. Will stay out when night temps reach 40. I have to monitor night temps in the cold frame. It loses heat fast once the sun is gone. I need to insulate the floor, keep the heat in!

• peppernovice
    10 years ago

Seysonn..... I wait till after the last frost. It's usually around the first weekend in April. I try to wait until the lows and in the mid to upper 40s.

Tim

• Dragon66
    10 years ago

Here is a closer look. These were planted on February 15th. Is it safe at this stage to separate them or should I wait? Any other comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

This post was edited by Dragon66 on Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 11:24

• Dragon66
    10 years ago

These are Trinidad moruga. Small one light setup seems to be working.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

I needed room and moved some out of seeding trays that didn't even have true leaves yet, so yeah you can transplant. I pretty much bare rooted them too, they are fine!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

A month out....small but stout :-)

Josh

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dragon66: Yes, seperate them NOW. If you wait much longer, they will have roots that are all intertwined and you will do a lot of damage to their roots trying to untangle them.
    Bruce

• Dragon66
    10 years ago

Thanks Bruce.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No problem Dragon: I might also suggest that you try to "Bare Root" them. Meaning that you try to remove all or most of the soil from the roots before trying to separate them. I do this by removing the plant(s) from the container with the soil and root ball intact and then depending on the soil consistency, you try to carefully break up the soil and have it fall away. I find that it usually works best when the soil is slightly damp but not dry. If you find it difficult this way, then letting the root ball soak in a small tub of water usually works to help loosen it up while you try to get the soil to fall away. Once they are bare rooted or as close as possible, then carefully pull them apart and replant them separately in their own containers.
    Bruce

• Dragon66
    10 years ago

Here they are separated. The one one the left seems a little droopy, I guess that would be normal after a transplant?

• Dragon66
    10 years ago

I also have this one that seems to struggling.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dragon, looks like the first two are going to be fine. That last little guy looks about done for though. Good luck,
    Bruce

• wjp4140
    10 years ago

Thanks! Yes, they are a leggy. I think the light is too far away as they are still under the dome. The vents are open though. It's a daylight cfl, 13w I think. I'll up it to my 100w equivalent when I get home from work.

Wanda

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, those shouldnt be under a humidity dome any longer. You should remove the dome soon after they start sprouting. And you need to get that light down somehow. The usable light that reaches the plant decreases exponentially as you move it further and further from the plants.
    Bruce

• ghostJalokia
    10 years ago

Still leggy. Lowered the light and moved the fan closer to try and thicken up the stems.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That won't change overnight Ghostjolokia. In fact, it will take a long time for the rest of the plant to catch up with the stem once the lighting situation is corrected. In the mean time, just be careful with them as they will be more prone to being knocked over. A light fan is a good idea as well. But don't run it 24/7. The more light you can give them the better.
    Bruce

• ghostJalokia
    10 years ago

Thanks Bruce I'll keep that in mind.

10 years ago

Took my seedlings outside for the first time today.
    They are now 3 - 4 weeks old, depending upon when the particular variety sprouted. Looking very green and healthy....I hope they didn't mind the transplanting.

Josh

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Geeeez Josh, outside already??? I still can't put my mini-greenhouse up. High of 27 here today. I can't wait to get mine outside for taste of real sunlight. I think they would enjoy it as much as me. Oh, and those little fellas look awful healthy.
    Bruce

10 years ago

Thanks, Bruce. Yeah, we were up into the 70F's today, but with strong winds....so I only had the peppers outside long enough to be re-potted, then I brought them back in under lights. I won't be able to leave my peppers out overnight until the end of May.

Josh

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yah, 70's, we likely wont see that until May. Best we have had so far this year is 50. Maybe we will see some more 50's next week...it would be nice to get the mini-greenhouse out and set up and MAYBE let the peppers have a peek at real sun.
    Bruce

• seysonn
    10 years ago

My seedling are have overgrown their pot and are crowded. Some of the, I have 3 in a 5" pot. But luckily, peppers are not growing as fast as tomatos;

I just checked my 10 days forecast. That is right around LFD
    ----- High median around 54F ...... Lows median 42F (no So the temptations are running very high here: Higher than the temperatures. SHOULD I ?

I will test try some peppers and some maters later today. I have a hoop and a cold frame for in-transition overnights.
    Today I will make another hoop. The frame is ready. Need to instal pvc and cover
    Got to do this. My set up area is getting quite crowded as the seedling grow bigger.

• UPucker
    9 years ago

I will be building a 3rd shelf tomorrow night and starting to pot up into solo cups this week. I have 28 varieties, all started in 72 cell trays. I start some cells with 1 seed, some with 2, and some with up to 5, then I seperate them into their own cell or thin them before going into solo cups.

Aji Lemon, Biker Billy, Kung Pao Hybrid, Big Thai Hybrid, Orange Habanero, Spanish Habanero, Numex Big Jim, Chinese Giant, Keystone, Cubanelle, Poblano, Hot Cherry, Marconi, Twilight (From Bruce), Carolina Reaper, Trinidad Moruga Scorpion(from OSS), Butch T Trinidad Scorpion, Trinidad Moruga Yellow, Red Bhut Jolokia, Yellow Bhut Jolokia, Chocolate Bhut Jolokia, Chocolate Habanero, Sweet Moruga Scorpion, Trinidad Douglah, 7Pod Brain Strain Yellow, 7pod Johna, White Ghost, Moruga Scorpion Red(from pepperlover)

And some tomatoes
    Black Krim, Italian Tree Tomato, Better Boy, Super Beefsteak, Rutgers, and Brandywine Pink.

Some have terrible germination rates.(4-5 out of at least 18 seeds) I planned ahead and started at least 18 of each seed and for some 30-40. The seeds are freely available thanks to -local stores(Menards)
    -reliable reputable online retailers(I used pepperlover.com and Organic Seed Supply this year)
    -Gifts from generous benefactors(Big thanks to esox07 for helping me try several new varieties)
    -Buying from the source(Reapers from Pepperjoes)

What a difference
    The first pic is from March 22nd
    The second is from April 9th

I used Christmas lights on a 15on/15off timer as a heat mat under 1020 trays with domes to germinate. Temps peaked at 85.

6 72 cell packs = 6 X 8 X 9 = 432 cells.

Some varieties have 30+ seeds started in 1 9-pack. These are separated or thinned periodically. This setup makes it easy to move and group varieities by height under the lights.

I have 4 2'x4' 4 bulb T8 lights and 1 2'x4' 8 bulb T5 light over hastily made 1"x6" flood tables lined with a couple layers of visqueen. I bottom feed the cells in 1020 trays then top feed lightly after potting up into solo cups and 64oz superamerica cups. I never let more than a tiny bit of water collect under the cups. Moving them around after watering allows the drier cups to suck up any pools of water. I wanted to do this on a budget last year. (I will post my adventures with pics in another thread later)

This post was edited by UPucker on Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 2:09

9 years ago

Here they outdoors for the first time...a pepper family portrait!

Josh

• Bearybee
    9 years ago

Cherry and rainbow bell peppers

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Barbara, you are a bit too late for zone 8 in GA. But not to worry , you have a long hot growing season. I know, I have gardened in North Atlanta area for years.

Good luck. You can plant out anytime. But better to wait until they have couple sets of true leaves.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Late to the party, but just took pix so figured I'd post.

Potted up most of the peppers to individual cells weeks ago, but still have Alma and Tequila Sunrise from Bill multiples per cell. Hope I don't kill them separating them. They're up front on the right (with white envelope in front) - don't they look nice?

These won't be transplanted for another 4 weeks at least. But if I can get the tomatoes out of the house this week, I'll have room for individual pots for the peppers.

This post was edited by ajsmama on Tue, May 6, 14 at 11:04

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

More, from Burpee seed and grocery store peppers (experiment)

• bajajoaquin
    9 years ago

A little late to the party, but here are the seedlings from back in January that were culled and are now in my office garden. Just Serranos in this picture. The Cayennes took longer to germinate, and didn't get a picture.

This post was edited by bajajoaquin on Tue, May 6, 14 at 11:55

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

I've never used lamps, just sun light on window sill or skylight and they grew fine.
    How long do you guys usually leave the lamps on?
    I'm afraid of going to work and leaving them on.

Stoney

• suvoth
    9 years ago

King of the North seedlings... 48 Days old from beginning of germination attempt.

• la_kitty
    9 years ago

Can you tell me what kind of pepper this is? They are mild with a nice pepper taste. The plant is very tall - over 6'! Any comments you provide will be considered most valuable! Thank you.

• williammorgan
    9 years ago

Trinidad Moruga Scorpion Chili Pepper seedling.

I already have one volunteer who begged me to try one. Should I get a lawyer to compose a contract? Ha! I'm only growing it as a novelty.

Give em out to the trick or treaters or something ;-)

9 years ago

The seedlings are doing quite well, and I have hopes of planting some tomorrow and potting the rest this week. Our weather is about to take a turn for the warm....

Josh

My top performers - Thai, Yellow Brain Strain, Peach Bhut, Red Bhut, and Douglah.

All together....

• suvoth
    9 years ago

New pic..one of my King of the Norths. So excited! Started to harden off.

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

Paradicsom Alaku.

Going to TRY to get this guy out before the season is over.

{{gwi:1149107}}

Sponsored
BME Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structure