Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Calculating pepper consumption for a whole year

Posted by trickfox 9b (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 19:26

I eat a lot of hot peppers! I made some calculations based on last 6 months of dried red chili consumption and it looks like I ate personally 5 and a half pounds of these peppers in the last year. Since dried weight to wet ratio is approximately 1:5 that would equate to 25 pounds of fresh chilis. That is completely aside to my actual fresh pepper consumption which I dont have a great way of estimating how much I eat in a year. I would say that number is huge, maybe 30 or 40 pounds a year.

It's pretty crazy to think Ive eaten the equivalent of over 50 pounds of peppers each year!

Any other big pepper eaters out there? have you estimated how much you eat?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Calculating pepper consumption for a whole year

Never really thought about it.... I can safely say - wild guess - it's nowhere near 50 lbs a year! Maybe 10 - 20....

o

10-20 is probably about right for me, not counting additives to prepared foods.

This year should be somewhat more since I learned to juice up cheapo hot sauce with chopped fatalii, or whatever is to hand. I eat a lot of hot sauce. Haven't tried making my own yet - maybe this year.

o

@DMForcier if you haven't made your own hot sauce yet you really should! It's fast and easy and tastes delicious. This Habanero hot sauce by Rick Bayless is ridiculously delicious and fiery hot: http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/view?recipeID=21

o

Definitely start playing with hot sauces! That was one of my main motivations in getting into hotter peppers. I tell you, I've made some terrible concoctions in some of my experiments, but, I've gotten better (still have a long way to go too), IMO. It's a lot of fun playing with sauces.

o

Well I guess I meant "salsa" more than "hot sauce". But that link leads to a good-looking recipe, and I'm glad to have found Rick Bayless' site. interesting looking stuff! Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here