Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esox07

Air Circulation for seedlings

I have used a fan on seedlings in the past but I just randomly turned it on and off when I thought about it. This year, I bought a new fan (the old one wasn't working) that oscillates and I also got a digital timer for it. I have it set to turn on every 4 hours for 20 minutes each time and it oscillates back and forth over the seedlings providing gentle gusts to each plant.

My question is, should I set it for less on/off cycles and have it on longer or more on off cycles and on less or other combination like more cycles and more time on each cycle?

I don't really want to have it run for extended periods of time as it cools my plants and my heat mats have trouble keeping up.

What does everyone think?
Bruce

Comments (11)

• naturemitch
    11 years ago

Bruce-

I have always had mine on a few times for a couple of hours each, those hours dependent on a couple of things. I typically liked the fan on when I was home...that's just my cautious self. So a couple of hours in the evening and early morning. Going on in the middle of the night was ok too. The fan didn't affect my heat bed, but that sounds like it might be something you need to work with. Oftentimes I would just kick it on/off when we were either working in the room and were hot or cold:) Certainly no scientific basis to the way we do it, just what makes us feel safe and sound AND gets airflow to our babies:)))

• cjohansen
    11 years ago

I'm a first-time grower, so take this as input more than advice (as I don't know how this'll turn out) :)

I have a 40W fan that I use whenever I'm at home during the daytime. I work from home 2-3 days a week, and during those days I have those seedlings lightly dancing in the wind for up to 8 hours. Maybe also a couple of hours during the weekend. And that's it. Seedlings are thriving so far, at least they don't seem to be bothered by the wind.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So far the general consensus seems to be longer periods of "wind" on the little fellas. I can program the timer however I want, but I will wait to see if anyone else has any input.
    Thanks all,
    Bruce

• Bill_Missy
    11 years ago

I am using one of those 3 foot oscilating cylinder fans in my laundry room where I have my plants going. No set times but I like the idea (and working so far for me..) when I turn off the light the fan goes on. Light on, fan off and all the babies are thriving right now. I have it on low and about 4 feet away from the seedlings. They "wiggle" and are getting very stocky.

Bill

• reginald_317
    11 years ago

should I set it for less on/off cycles and have it on longer or more on off cycles and on less or other combination like more cycles and more time on each cycle? Well, I liberally "fanned" inside seedlings (peps and mots) for 1st time in 2012 season. One instance, I realize, is not much a test. Whatever, in that season, I had no noticeable problems with nascent fungal infections. Ran fans(s) on lowest settings for at least 12 hour/day. And moved fans' locations such that air movement was changed about 180ú every few days.
    No gale-force winds here... my idea was to get most of the plants to wiggle a bit in the gentle breeze. Yes, that will usually lower the temps of soil if it is being heated. But at that stage, my heating thing is pretty much over and they are growing at ambient temps.

Reggie

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

I try to turn the fan on for all of my houseplants (and seedlings) at least three hours a day, especially after watering.

• Dhelsdon
    11 years ago

I keep mine on 24/7, for all my plants. The reason for this, is that the constant gust of wind helps to strengthen the plants and keeps the air circulating in my grow area.

I grow indoors, so when I designed my growing area I planned for this constant air. The temps are still where I need them to be and it seems to work really well, and avoid spindly plants.

My fan stays on low at all times, when my plants are big enough sometimes I adjust it to a big stronger. I find doing these things not only makes for strong plants, but also when the plant is growing fruit they can support that much more weight versus a plant grown without constant 'wind'.

I know some might argue that it's too much, and that may be.. Although it works for me!

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

Another good thing about a fan is that it counteracts the "microclimate" at the window sill, if that is where your plants are. Keeps the air at the sill just like the rest of the room. That argues for 24/7 circulation.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK, great input guys. I think I will go with a longer 2 o 3 hour period maybe three times a day.
    Thanks to all that provided input. Great help.
    Bruce

• hillseeker
    11 years ago

Great advice. I started using a fan the other week but have been randomly turning it on and off as I wasn't sure what to do either. Like the timer idea. Does anyone know if tomatoes respond well to the giggling to become beefier?

• ab2008
    11 years ago

Hillseeker,

Last year we ran a fan nearly 24/7 on our tomatoes and peppers and had very good luck even in less than optimum conditions.

I haven't started tomatoes just quite yet. I will probably tomorrow however, and will probably start the fan on them as well once they get an inch or two tall much like last year.

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms