Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill_missy

Fert choices - Four to chosse from

Bill_Missy
11 years ago

Hello all,

Wife bought me some ferts today while I was at work and was wondering what the thoughts about these are before I try and use one of the three types (She went crazy lol)

1st - Jobes organics granular fert for Veggies and Tomato's. it is a 2-5-3 blend. 2% N, 5%P, 3%K with 7% CA, 0.5% Mg and 1.4% Sulfur. This fert is derived from Feather meal, Bone meal, Composted poultry manure and Sulface of Potash.

2nd -MG Organic Choice all purpose plant food concentrate for indoor/outdoor plants. It is a liquid concentrate of 8-0-0. Derived from Fermented sugar beet molasses.

3rd - MG Water soluble Tomato plant food. 18-18-21.

4th ��" Go buy something else

Which one is the consensuses for best use? Plants have not had any ferts to date. They have been planted in either MG Seed starting mix or MG Orchid mix. The picture attached is as they sit today. Only warm tap water, no heat mat under T8 lights for 16-18 hours a day. I do not want to kill them as they are doing good in my opinion.

All super-hots/Nuclears. The larger ones where sowed on 12 Jan and the smaller ones on 25 Jan. Most of the ones on the right where transplanted from small 1" containers into the larger cups using Scotts Hydrponix soil mix.

Thanks for any advise in advance.

Bill

Comments (13)

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Close up of larger ones

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Close up of smaller ones sowed on 25 Jan.

• cheezdoodle12
    11 years ago

It's funny you mention the tomato fertilizers.. I just found some inexpensive Jobe's fertilizer spikes that I bought for my peppers, but not sure if they are ok since they say they're for tomatoes. I figured I could try on one plant to see if it makes any difference. I usually mix up diluted MG granules in water & give that every 3rd or 4th watering ..then I will gradually increase that as they grow.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Do not use the fertilizer spikes...those things have burned a lot of plants!

Bill, my vote is for buy something else. The "organics" simply won't perform as efficiently in containers, and the NPK numbers on those ferts are all wonky.

For simple, get some Miracle Grow in a 3:1:2 ratio, such as 12-4-8, 24-8-16, et cetera. Supplement with some Cal Mag or other Calcium and Magnesium fertilizer.

Josh

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all for the advice.

Josh, do you prefer liquid soluble ferts or granules? I am trying to find the "one" fert that I can use on my growing seedlings and still use on my plants when they are put in 5 Gal containers for zone 8b.

Bill

11 years ago

I greatly prefer a liquid soluble, but I also use Osmocote slow-release.

The all-in-one soluble I use is Foliage Pro 9-3-6, which includes macro and micro-nutrients. This is the fertilizer I use for all of my plants, from citrus to conifers, maples, orchids, succulents, everything.

Josh

• TheMasterGardener1
    11 years ago

I agree with greenman. get the Miracle gro all purpose 24-8-16 that comes in the 5# box. It will have four packs inside, I have only gone through a half of a pack in a whole year!

11 years ago

Yep, Miracle Grow 24-8-16 will probably give you the best bang for your buck. Just be sure to supplement Calcium and Magnesium, which most Miracle Grow formulations are lacking.

Josh

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    11 years ago

Josh wrote:

Yep, Miracle Grow 24-8-16 will probably give you the best bang for your buck. Just be sure to supplement Calcium and Magnesium, which most Miracle Grow formulations are lacking.

---

And why is that? Considering Ca and Mg are 2 pretty damn important micronutrients for most plants, one would think MG has had the question dropped into their 'suggestion" box before.

Kevin

11 years ago

That is a good question, Kevin, to which I don't know the answer. However, my cynical mind says that they want to sell two products instead of one....

Josh

• kuvaszlvr
    11 years ago

well Bill, last year I became a believer. I purchased MG shake and feed for tomatoes (it has Ca added), and hands down, last year was my very best pepper year ever. Plus, I rarely harvest a single belle pepper, and last year my plants were covered, I was giving them away. It will be interesting to see, this year I sprinkled them on my seedlings. I'll see how it goes.
    Pam

• thismembername
    11 years ago

yeah, i use the slow release shake and feed tomato , liquid MG all purpose, and now pro tekt and neem oil from dyna gro

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well guys and gals,

I just took the plung and fertilized the seedlings. I did a 1/4 strength. I used MG 24-8-16

1/4 Teaspoon in 1 Gal of warm tap water. First time they have had any ferts since they have been sowed.

Question, I have Epson salt for MG, what is the best thing to use for Ca?

Also, any recommendations for an one-in-one meter for Ph and soil nutriants?

As always, thank you all for the help and advice.

Bill

Sponsored