Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luisito8m

How long will my Pepper last??

luisito8m
12 years ago

I was told by a friend that pepper plants last only a couple of harvest seasons..

I am wondering if this is true, and if true, how long will it last??

Comments (20)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Well, I expect smokemaster to pipe in on this one. I have heard accounts of 5 plus years of growing and I think Smokemaster probably has some 10 year plus plants. There is also discussion on productivity of subsequent growing seasons and from what I have read, it seems it usually gets a little better from one season to the next. Probably due to a head start and the fact that it has already built a great deal of it's mass and can put it's energy into pepper production.
    Bruce

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Yep, what Bruce said.
    I have a Hungarian Wax that will be going into its 5th season.
    There are reports of pepper plants living 8 - 12 years, and longer even.

I actually started growing peppers just to see how long I could keep one alive.
    I believe it was Willard at this very Forum that said All peppers are perennial....
    and I immediately thought it would be a great challenge to grow a pepper for several years.
    That challenge continues to this day....

Josh

• luisito8m
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh wow! I thought it would only last me at most 2 years.

Thanks for the input guys!!

Do you mind if I upload some pics so u could also tell me how good/bad my plants are looking so far??

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Yaaaaeeeehhhhh Josh,
    5 years is a great run. And as you stated in another thread, in non-traditional pepper climate to boot. How stout is the trunk on that Hungarian now? You cut yours way back like I did if I recall correctly, yes/no?

I overwintered two of my Hot Hungarians and a Bhut. I will dub that lone Bhut as my project plant that I will keep going as long as it cooperates. I hope I can get 5+ years out of it.
    Bruce

12 years ago

Luisito, please post pics! We love pics ;-)

Bruce, thanks man! This season, I didn't cut my plant back as aggressively as I have in years past.
    But you are correct - I almost always advise others to prune judiciously, both roots and foliage/branches.
    I think you have all the keys to keep a plant healthy and productive for many years. You'll be refining
    your mix as new ingredients become available, I'm sure.

Here's an updated pic from a few days ago...sorry it's a bit blurry. The Hungarian is hangin' in there....
    more time outdoors should revitalize the plant. The trunk isn't all that thick, but it is thickening
    a little each year. It's certainly becoming woody.

Josh

• smokemaster_2007
    12 years ago

After somewhere over 7 seasons,my tree habanero/Habanero De Arbol died from a mite attack last year.

Bow your heads in morning for the old guy.

http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp111/smoemaster_2007/2011%20pics/PICT1915.jpg

http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp111/smoemaster_2007/128.jpg

http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp111/smoemaster_2007/PICT1577.jpg

Red Habanero De Arbol,starting the 2nd season.

http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp111/smoemaster_2007/2011%20pics/PICT2054.jpg

Can't get the pics to download.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Nice looking plant there Josh. One of my Hungarians has a 3" Pepper on it right now. The other is putting out blooms. The Bhut just keeps on keeping on.
    Here is a photo from three days ago....I know it isn't very good. But it shows the lone pepper.

By the way, you look like you should be getting some peppers outside soon. your grass looks green and there ain't any snow. I am happy with 40 degrees right now.

Bruce

12 years ago

Sweet, Bruce, they're all looking healthy!
    That is a nicely formed pod, as well. I might be tempted to eat it.

I've been taking my Hungarian outdoors when the weather is above 60F.
    It's 39F right now (10:48pm), and we'll hit 30F by morning. Still fairly cold.
    Don't let that February grass fool you...it always pops up once we have a few rains ;-)

Josh

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

geeze, normal high here right now is 33. I likely won't see 60 for another month or so.. And fully intend to eat that pepper in a few weeks.
    Bruce

• willardb3
    12 years ago

This is a 9-yr old purira

• jsschrstrcks
    12 years ago

my oldests are two now. I had 2 orange habs, 2 jalapenos, and 2 cayennes. The cayennes never did thrive. but the rest of them are prolific growers. I only pruned back the stuff that died in a frost.

• tsheets
    12 years ago

Guess it's still Christmas up in WI, eh, Bruce?? ;-)

• tsheets
    12 years ago

Oh, and to stay somewhat on topic. I've had a lemon drop (two actually) that will be entering their 4th year this year. These two I have been growing in hanging baskets during the Summer, and over-winter in 1 gal pots.

• ralleia
    12 years ago

I have a half-dozen pepper plants that were five years old last year, and still producing very well.

This winter I think I killed them because I didn't pot them up properly in a potting medium when I brought them in.

These were them last summer in all their glory, growing up a vertical support in the hoophouse.

{{gwi:22585}}

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

I love all the pictures and back ground. I hope I can get a plant or two up to the 5 yr mark.
    Bruce

• Edymnion
    12 years ago

Yup, I overwintered my bhut from last year, and its been doing great. Already putting out some buds. Will be nice to get it back out in the ground soon as it finishes warming up.

• ralleia
    12 years ago

Smokemaster,

If you're using photobucket, all you need to do is go to the "album" page of your photobucket pictures (it is the page that shows the grayed-out hyperlinks for email, direct link, html code, image code, image thumbnail, etc.

Copy the grayed link next to HTML code and paste that into your Gardenweb message, and then the photos should load into the page when you preview or post. :)

• luisito8m
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Back to my original post. I heard u like pics! :D

Here are the pictures that I have promised.

This is my Serrano, around 6 months old. Have only harvested once a week ago. Yielded around 17 peppers.

This is my Long Thin Cayanne, soon to be harvested for the first time. Just as old as my Serrano. Yielded around 25 peppers.

So what do you guys think?? Do they look healthy?? They have survived the entire winter outside, really low temps, and a lot of rain.

I will appreciate any type of advice/input on how to take care of them. I would like to know if I could prune my plants and how to as well.

Thanks everybody! :D

12 years ago

For winter plants, they look fantastic!

Willard, excellent Purira! You're the one who got me into overwintering :-)

Josh

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Those look good for summer or winter plants. I am jealous with my two inch sprouts. And Willard, I guess I owe you a thanks since you got Josh into overwintering, who got me into it in turn. It is a great way to get through a Wisconsin winter.
    Bruce

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!