Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sugi_c

Black Pearl Pepper Plants

Hi all -

Quick question: does anyone know a reputable place at which to order Black Pearl Pepper plants? At most, I want two - and I found one eBay dealer that will sell 4 at a time but can't seem to find any vendor that sells plants, not seeds, and will also ship to CA and ship one or two.

Being a massive spicy food lover, I must have one of these, stat! And given that I'm waiting on a bunch of seeds right now -- I'm loathe to start them and do the whole waiting game again.

Anyone?

Comments (154)

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I hate seeds....I hate seeds.....I hate seeds. LOL

2014: BUY PLANTS, GRACE.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

I see root!

Josh

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One Purple Flash came up, and make no mistake, I just mean it popped a stem and still has the seed on its head kind of up. Argh.

The remainder think I have nothing better to do. In their defense, it's been hot sun but really quite cold (for my area anyway) with highs of 60-something and lows even dipping to 46 last night (unusual). Considering I've been treating these like royalty and all but put a goose down comforter over them -- I still find it unforgivable lol. They have one more week and then my Korean impatient side takes over.

The habaneros are really nothing to write home about either. But at least after 3 weeks they all came up -- even two in one cell (I clearly cannot count as that was not my intention.

The serranos, on the other hand, are awesome and have all been transplanted. I tend to transplant really early and this year, using 5:1:1, I did it when only the cotyledons were nice and big without any new leaves.

I don't know about the rest of you but I am really tired of seed cells and 3" containers now. I guess from January to April is my limit, haha.

The ICU Black Pearls are coming around. I don't suppose these slowbies will hit a growth spurt? I presume these just grow at this rate?

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The two BP that I was nursing are doing much better. They've entered the fun stage where I can see a little growth daily. :-) The last few days of 80-something heat helped; the peppers and tomatoes were much happier than the rest of my plants.

I'm curious how everyone else is doing?

FWIW, none of the 3 BP seeds sprouted, tho they are still out there (in an ignored state so I don't hope for much) and one Purple Flash peeked out but did not much else. I'm currently nursing that one -- but it's tiny with tiny cotyledons....I have it in dappled sun right now but we shall see.

So far this year, I am noticing big growth but smaller leaves compared to when I used to plant peppers in the ground. My Jalapeño looks nearly Ca deficient except it's growing beautifully and have set so many flowers. The BP, too, is more leafed out than some of the photos shown on this thread but many of you have much larger/broader leafed plants than I do. I'm wondering if something went askew when I made the soils but no complaints yet. Flower productions look good so what's to complain about? And smaller is not a bad thing with limited space.

Grace

10 years ago

Beautifully grown!
    They're just really slow like that. But they will hit a growth spurt eventually. Are you still fertilizing regularly? With this warm weather, my plants are finally showing signs of growing :-)

Josh

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

Grace your BP are looking great now, nice going! Black pearls are the slowest growing peppers I've grown ever, they crawl, can't wait until it grows faster. Next season I will start them in December lol.

Here are my three all planted the same time. I just repotted and watered them. Hope this gives them a boost to grow faster. All my other plants are hardening off now, but the lows of 48 are not helping them grow any faster. My habanero has tiny pods lol can't wait until its warmer. I feel bad for those in WI and the north who are still dealing with snow.

The pepper off the camera shot except the leaf was planted from the same seed stock as the BP but its a mystery pepper as it has no character of a BP.

Mark

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Josh, thank you! Where in NorCal are you? Here in the SF area, we did have a warm blast for a few days in which the peppers and tomatoes thrived. I'd so been waiting for warmth but wouldn't you know it, within 3 hours of it, I was cursing summer, lol. I don't know about your area, but it's like fall here now---back to needing a coat. :-/ Incidentally, Josh, I need to ask you about your gardenias soon as I have, yet again, made mine unhappy.

Mark -- WOW, look at the size difference! Hmm, any clue as to how that came to be? I know my serranos, all done on the same day, are about equal except for one which had just one set of true leaves, but it's not as clear of a difference as yours. The big, black leaves are nothing short of stunning!! The odd one looks to be developing some "muddiness" like BP, no? I am so curious to see what it actually is! Maybe you will have a "Habjo Mystery" pepper named after you. ;-)

My habaneros are too embarrassing to show -- so small. Tiny cotyledons with tiny true leaves. I think they need more heat, but despite having been started in full sun, I noticed the cotyledon burned when kept in full sun. So they've been in dappled sun -- and I figure I will keep them there until they show some robustness. Serranos are fine and on schedule, and my one jalapeño plant has set no less than 50 buds....and of course, it's the one I was least excited about!

Grace

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

Hi Grace, the smaller ones came to be because I let three plants grow in a tiny container so it was the two shorter BP and the mystery pepper growing. The mystery pepper grows quick as it towered over the two BP also I know it's not a BP, it already has flower buds growing, the muddieness is from my floro lights some leaves turn that color using stoplights especially if you forget to turn them off and they run over 24 hrs. I ran the root ball under water to knock loose all the soil and exposed the roots detangled as best I could and repotted. I hate to cull lol.

I agree weather has been crazy from 40's to 70's and back again each week is so different, zone 7 MD.

I think once the weather is stable you will be proud to post a pic of your habaneros. Good idea keeping them in speckled sun for awhile. Look forward to when you post pics of them.

Mark

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

One of my Pearls has just taken off. The other three are doing very well, but not as good as the SuperPearl. I'll post a pic of two soon.

10 years ago

Hey, Grace! I'm up in the Auburn area, about 35 miles northeast of Sacramento along the I-80 corridor :-) Yes, last week we were in the 80F's and 90F's, and it sure was hot! Yesterday morning, we got nearly a half inch of rain...so all my plants are well soaked, with lower leaves even turning that distinctive early-May yellow.

I don't grow gardenias, but my brother does in Sacramento. If it's potted gardenias we're talking, Meyer Mike is the man to contact, and I'd be more than happy to set that up.

Josh

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Josh, it's significantly warmer up there during the summer than here, right? I know I almost baked crossing the street last time I went to Sac. I would have guessed your winter temps to be similar to ours but your zone says otherwise?

I must have gotten you and Mike confused. I saw his gardenias -- most gorgeous ones ever -- when I first joined GW and seeing that led me to me re-attempting the god forsaken gardenia, which I had vowed off forever, which led to this current state of dismay, lol. I think it's now conclusive: I must steer clear of gardenias, period. PERIOD.

Mark: hope you will recognize what you got when it produces peppers. I have yet to use lights, but after seeing your specimens and that of some other folks, now I WANT to use lights, haha, though my area really does allow me to start seeds outside come February,...but not having the sun under my control was annoying. Hmm....if I move, I just may invest in a light system.

Which contradicts my vow to ne'er start seeds again lol.

DM - show us the peppers!! :-)

Grace

10 years ago

Good morning!
    Hot in the Summer, indeed, and chilly in the Winter. It only drops into the upper teens for a few nights out of the year. Here's a shot of the garden....

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OMG JOSH - I didn't see this last post until now, but what kind of CALIFORNIA is that!?! I guess you really are up there! :-D Brrrr.

So, update on the BP plants.
    As some of you may know, I have a pepper-growing issue this year with all exhibiting some curled leaves. Of the peppers, even the BP doesn't look like those you guys have posted, but it's the least affected of the peppers.

Of the two I had, I drove one down to my parents' house and it's basking in the SoCal sun and loving life. Not that my mother could actually operate a cellphone camera to show me, but she swears it's doing well.

I kept one, and here she is today. Some leaf curling and a significantly more upright growth than width but otherwise, it looks pretty healthy and I'm not displeased.

Some of the shots will show it looking a bit dusty -- I had just finished breaking apart hardened chunks of Pro-Mix which was sort of like being in a sawdust tornado.

The coke can is for scale:

Even some buds!!

I feel like lopping it off on top to encourage width.... any thoughts? :-D

-Grace

Here is a link that might be useful: Curled Leaves

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

Grace, nice looking BP. My BP were also started like yours except the curled leaves. When the main stem got pods they stopped growing and produced side branches. All the old side branches have grown faster and the plants getting wider. I do not prefer anything else to do. Just let it grows naturally. If you would like to see what I explained about my BP then I can upload the pictures.

Good luck
    Caelian

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'd love to see your BPs and how they are doing, Caelian, but I perfectly understood what you described. I'll leave this one as-is!

Thank you!

Grace

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

I do not have much experiences so what I said before was just my opinion. This is also my first time grow so someone who has experiences may be more reasonable to give you tips to make your BP wider.

The pictures:

{{gwi:1149410}}

From different angle:

{{gwi:1149411}}

I think your container is almost the same size containers I have used you also use 5:1:1. If so I am so curious how would you manage the soil moisture properly.

Thank you for allowed me to upload my BP :-)

Caelian

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Caelian,

Your BP is BEAUTIFUL! It's branching out on top so nicely.

Yup, this is one that remains in 5:1:1 for now. You know, with all the veggies, I keep then quite moist. Right now, with 73-75 degree highs, I give them all water every 2-3 days. Especially with the peppers because all but one are in smaller pots, and the tomatoes because I have them kind of cramped into large planters -- potentially too many. So I do feel the top 1/2" and if it's not significantly moist, I water. With the 5:1:1, I am really not worried about overwatering peppers in full sun; I imagine it would be hard to do unless it's sitting in water.
    Once it hits 80+ -- if it ever hits 80 plus here, haha -- I'll water all the veggies daily regardless.

In other news, I have a flower, lol. Months of attention and waiting has paid off. Now, to get a fruit....

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

Grace, it is nice to see your updates. Your plant is now healthier than before and so beautiful, now it is time to enjoy by watching their fruits and progress.

I am afraid of 5:1:1 in small pots because they dry very fast and needs water often probably every day. You have experience of this medium so you manage very well, I think.

Take care of your plants :-)

Caelian

This post was edited by chilliwin on Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 5:18

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

Grace your BP has come a long way from how they looked from the start. Great job the BP looks fantastic and what a beautiful purple flowers. Looking forward to pod pics.

Mark

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

I simply have to get a BP to grow for me next season. I tried several last winter and couldn't get even one to germinate. It is the only pepper that I had so much trouble getting to germinate. But I am gonna start early this coming off-season and make sure I have one going into next summer. I love the pictures.
    Bruce

• ab2008
    10 years ago

Finally coming along after being sat out a little early for here, but turning out to be a beautiful plant an addition to the garden.

10 years ago

Superb updates, all!
    Here's my Black Pearl, beginning to bush. Later in the season, the leaves will mature and take on that fine purple-black metallic sheen. Grace, don't worry, the Black Pearl is very good at setting pods :-)

Josh

10 years ago

Superb updates, all!
    Here's my Black Pearl, beginning to bush. Later in the season, the leaves will mature and take on that fine purple-black metallic sheen. Grace, don't worry, the Black Pearl is very good at setting pods :-)

Josh

{{!gwi}}

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Josh, you were right. Setting pods has not been a problem, though none are picking size yet. How big should they be at harvest? Or do you not eat these at all?

Are you going to keep your beauty in a pot? (And of course, your 5-1-1 looks awesome.)

I have mine in a regular 6 in terra cotta pot and she seems happy enough despite being taller in height than the pot. I am not sure it will need to be transplanted at all, though I do notice it dries out fast -- not that it seems to bother the plant either.

Beautiful plant, though. Even if the peppers taste like crap, I'd grow this one again. I call it stunning and my BF always refers to it as the ominous plant. Sheesh. I guess I've kinda grown fond of it since I nursed it back from heaven's doorstep.

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Full height.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

Hi Grace, Wow the BP has come along way and is now a great looking plant. The peppers will turn red when they are ripe and then will be ready to eat. I have not tried the BP so I can't comment on flavor.

One thing I like about your plant it truly rocks the purple leaves and less of the green.

Mark

• maple_grove_gw
    10 years ago

Hi,

I recently posted this elsewhere here, and thought it was worth putting on this page too. My BP with a temporary visitor. He subsequently left and has not come back.

Alex

• maple_grove_gw
    10 years ago

Picture from further back, capturing more of the plant.

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mark, wow. I wonder what affects that -- is it just a genetic issue or a sun/heat thing? On mine, the newest leaves emerge a muddied green but quickly turn colors to black. Since we hardly break 70 these days, maybe lesser heat keeps it darker? Or perhaps it is all genetics of the seeds.

How tall is yours?

My Purple Flash, too. The tiny seedling has grown into a nice adolescent but seriously black. This is one sun step back from the BP, so gets an hour or so less sun. The leaves feel even rubberier (not a word lol) than the BP.

Maple, I don't like frogs but I'll admit that your frog is kind of cute. As long as it's on your plant and not mine haha.
    Your plant looks much bigger than mine. What size pot?

Grace

• maple_grove_gw
    10 years ago

Grace, I'm glad you like my frog. I'm anything but a frog afficionado, but I think he looks great on my BP, it really brings out his dark blotches. ;o)

I wonder if the dark coloration is seen in response to strong light. I was worried about my plant earlier in the season when it was growing in the basement as it was very green, but since I brought it outside, it's been nice and dark as you can see. Also, you can see that the interior leaves are greener than the outside ones.

This plant is in a 3 gallon pot, and is the only one of my peppers in less than a 5 gallon pot.

Alex

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

I had four plants that flowered pretty well. Leaves didn't look great but three have sold. None of them set a pod before it left and the remaining one hasn't either. I'm taking it out of full-time sun on the theory that the black leaves absorb too much heat.

How much sun are yours getting?

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maple, wow lucky plant to be in a 3 gallon. I wonder how long mine can go in its current pot. I like the sunlight theory but I suspect Mark has way more sun than I do in SF. And heat. Almost anywhere in the world has more heat lol.

Dennis, my BP gets full sun from 7:30am or so, until 2pm now, since solstice? Prior to that the sun would be off the plants by 1:30pm. Really not too much sun. Along w the aforementioned cold (

10 years ago

Hey! Your Black Pearls are just coming along wonderfully! Grace, I think you can keep your plant in that pot - with a careful eye to watering, as you note - and then re-pot it next year to a slightly larger container.

The pods will ripen in various sizes, some of them as large as marbles, with others the size of peas. I do eat the pods, but I don't cook with them. I tried drying them, but I found that the flavor did not hold. When fresh, they have what I describe as a strong black pepper flavor with a slight tanginess that you would find in a Thai chile, for example. The heat is medium and varies from pod to pod. The pods, however, are absolutely packed with seed...and that's why I don't bother preparing them or cooking with them. I do encourage you to try them, though. I have a few ripe pods now. Here's a pic of the pods in the ripening stage:

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh my goodness, look at them reddening!! I can't wait. I'm glad you have eaten them, Josh, because I could not find one thing about the taste except "too hot, not recommended for eating". I will definitely try them, too!

Is that in the ground?

10 years ago

They have a good smack of heat for sure, but not too hot for eating.
    I have a weak stomach, and yet I can chew these up and swallow them down without a problem...so you know they can't be *that* hot.

My plant is in a 1.5 gallon pot. Here it is:

• smokemaster_2007
    10 years ago

Several plants in this post have other than round pods.
    Not Black Pearl.
    Black Pearl in my experiance has ALWAYS put out VERY little pod variations,NO tear dropped shaped pods.
    Check out
    the different BLACK this or that varieties in the link below..

I Think you would have had less hassle growing from pure seeds than buying the crap the plant vendor sent you(sugiC).
    Probably would have taken the same time but less stress nursing crap to grow right.

I had a plant from the people that engineered it and won the prizes way back when...years ago...
    I grew it for a season or 2 in a 6 inch pot in a south facing window for pure seeds.
    It eventually made it outside (in a pot).

If you want Pure seeds from original stock, I have a few,PM me.

Not trying to rain on anyones parade but Black Pearl IS black pearl.
    Not just a color of a plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Peppers

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just noticed that today, Smoke.

My original photo on the first post as well as Josh's and Mark's plants have near perfect round pods. Mine and 1 or 2 more on this thread seem total teardrop shape.

So then...WHAT THE HELL DO I HAVE?!? Another unidentifiable plant? Noooooooo!!! :-(

Because these were giving me so many problems I purchased BP seeds. I only planted three and none actually germinated so dare I say it, THIS was actually easier, haha. Of course, what I did grow appears to be something else--there is that little issue. Crap!

I'd love to try the original stock. But what made you stop growing them? Do you not like?

Grace

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

A lot of nice BPs, thank you all for the updates.

Today I saw new posts here and then checked my BPs and took some pictures.

Too much plants it is over 100 now and I do not have enough space. So I moved my 3 BPs out of 4 near the other vegetables.
    {{gwi:1149414}}

It is medium hot but I hate the taste.

{{gwi:1149415}}

Caelian

• smokemaster_2007
    10 years ago

My seed collection doesn't match my garden space.
    I can't grow all the stuff I want to.
    Anything after I get what I want from them gets a new home.

I have over 5000 varieties,strains and Hybrids of non bell pepper seeds in my collection that need to be rotated along with new stuff I find that I want to grow out each season.
    No plant but a few stay around more than a season or 2 in my garden.

Nope,Addicted to Chiles,NOT ME,nope,not me,I can stop growing and eating them whenever I want to. LOL

I only made 25lbs of smoked Manzano powder last year and dried another 25+lbs.
    Not counting the measily 12lbs. of paprika , 5lbs. of mixed Chinense and 10 lbs of Annuum mixed powder.

Nope,I am not addicted,no way.
    It's just that when I first started growing Chile,I had a hard time deciding what to grow...
    So I decided to grow them all. :)

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

My space is for about 10 to 20 plants. In fact it is not a gardening space. None of my neighbors have grown any vegetables.

The number increased when I tried different soil and different seeds sources. Whenever I saw some nice plants here and I tried. Black Pearls is one of them.

Still I enjoy taking care of my plants :-)

Grace, sorry I am off the topic.

Caelian

10 years ago

Caelian, your Black Pearl is exquisite!
    Thanks for the update!

Josh

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

Josh, thank you.

The first one has some holes on the leaves, insects from the cabbage (green one about 1 inch long) invaded some of my plants.

Caelian

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

Hi Grace here is a shot of the BP as you can see its more green than black. This is one of the ones I gave away and this one my Mom is growing.

Mark

10 years ago

Mark,
    the leaves will darken as they mature, although they do need sun for the best coloration. Vigorously growing plants will have more green due to the amount of new growth visible. My plant's in the same boat. Beside a green Thai chile, it looks darker.

Well, we're about to top out at 150 posts. This has been a great Thread. ;-)

• Keepitgreen123
    10 years ago

I'm NB Canada, got my seeds from Pepper Joe, plants are doing amazing and I have fruit pushing out, beautiful black pearls.

10 years ago

I pruned my Pearl today, and harvested the pods I'll be using for next year's seed stock. I ate a couple. Good small smack of heat....but too damned many seeds to enjoy chewing.

8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi, Sugi. Yes, I still grow the Black Pearl.
    This is my Black Pearl seedling for this year.

Josh

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Looks awesome, as usual, Josh!

What is that tall plant to the right of it?

8 years ago

Thanks, Sugi :-)
    That plant to the right is a Giant Cape Gooseberry.
    It is in the genus Physalis, like a tomatillo, but it is much sweeter. I started a few seedlings for the Farm where I work during the Summer, and I decided to keep one just to see what it was like. I should have re-potted it long ago.....maybe I will put it into a bigger pot tomorrow.

Josh

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts