Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

o
Black Pearl Pepper Plants

Posted by Sugi_C none (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 21, 13 at 19:48

Hi all -

Quick question: does anyone know a reputable place at which to order Black Pearl Pepper plants? At most, I want two - and I found one eBay dealer that will sell 4 at a time but can't seem to find any vendor that sells plants, not seeds, and will also ship to CA and ship one or two.

Being a massive spicy food lover, I must have one of these, stat! And given that I'm waiting on a bunch of seeds right now -- I'm loathe to start them and do the whole waiting game again.

Anyone?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black Pearl Pepper Plants

If ya find out let me know as well. I just wonder what kind of climate they do well in as well?

o

ab2008, from what I know thus far, it's pretty typical pepper weather. Relative heat but full, full sun. I'll hang them off of my balcony if I have to, haha -- but I must eat these.....

I'm in the SF area of CA, so we are well past the frost stage.

I'll update the thread if I find a vendor. Or worst case, I guess you and I can split an order for four! :-) I just know that given the Scoville units on this one, I won't be needing four plants.

o

Being in tennessee, it's so frustrating! Will be in the mid 60's in a day or two, and was just in the low 30's a couple of days ago. Days like coming up make me want spring to come faster! Lol!

o

I can tell you, they are packed with seed. Absolutely full of seed. The flavor is slightly tangy, reminiscent of a Thai chile, but with more of a black pepper flavor. Variable heat from pod to pod - from virtually undetectable heat, to a full-mouth stinging burn.

In my experience, the plant is quite slow-growing. Totally worth it, though; one of the most striking plants out there.

Josh

o

Greenman, I just drooled.
Did you start yours via seed? How long was it until you got to harvest?

I need more seedlings like I need a hole in the head.
But dang, I want it, haha!

o

Ab2008,

Our area here in CA fluctuates a lot, too. Even in the last couple of weeks, we had high 70s one day and dropped to low 40s overnight on another day. It's very frustrating -- and I thought all of my seedlings would freeze that night but they made it. But I expect this nonsense to last through to April/May before we warm up considerably.

It's just never really that hot here in the SF Bay Area -- but thankfully, those of us right outside the city have plenty of SUNSHINE.

o

I started growing these last year, and I've got three or four sprouts going right now from seed. I wouldn't say they are particularly slow growing for an ornamental though, about average in my experience.

And yes, those tiny little pearl pods are absolutely *STUFFED* with seeds. So stuffed that I don't think it would be worth the effort to seed them in order to eat one, as you would barely have anything left once the seeds were out.

Definitely an impressive little pepper plant though.

o

That's it. You all done it! Made me want to grow them, I got seeds from a pepper swap and was going to wait until next season to grow, after this thread and the nice pic posted by Sugi_C and Josh I had to plant the seeds. Can't wait until they pop up hopefully within a week or so.

Mark

o

As a couple of other folks mentioned, they make a beautiful ornamental, but would not be worth your while to seed and eat. I have grown them for several years and very easy to start from seed. Try other chocolates for eating.
John A

o

Sugi,
they take a long time from seed to harvest. The only reason mine looked as good as it did was because one of my friends started that seedling under intense lights five months before he gave it to me. I received it in May as a 3-inch plant. That pic was taken September 12th. The first blooms appeared in July. Up here in the foothills, though, our entire season starts later than in the flatlands.

I've found that these germinate slowly, and they have a paltry root-system. I didn't start any this year, but if I were to in the future I would start them with the other slow-growing C. chinenses.

Josh

o

Yah, me too. Anyone got seeds you want to part with, I gots this SASE (or maybe some to swap).

Dennis

o

• Posted by noinwi Z8 Kitsap Peninsula (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 22, 13 at 15:19

I just noticed this the other day. Kinda pricey, though.

Here is a link that might be useful: johnnys seeds

o

Hi guys -

I definitely want these more for the color it offers; I found them looking for something black/dark to put in containers. It's such a striking and unique plant!

But -- the spicy part DOES intrigue me. :-)

That said, with no recommendations on where to get 1 or 2, I went ahead and bought at the link below. Four plants won't kill me. The cheapest shipping option to CA was over $11, though -- so consider yourselves forewarned. It was expedited shipping though I'm not sure if that's 2-day or what.

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Pearl Pepper Plants (4) on eBay

o

Greenman such a lovely plant!

o

Dennis - Send me an email. I have a pretty good supply.
John A

o

email sent. Oh boy oh boy!

o

Dennis - I received your email but could not respond because you have your email address blocked from GW. Try unblocking or send me an external email.
John A

o

I don't understand. It said it sent the email from my email account, meaning you hitting Reply should return to there. I've had email exchanges with other members before.

In any case, I set my address to be visible to other members. Can you see it now?

o

Dennis, if you don't enable the address function, the recipient would receive the email from a dummy email address with "this user has opted not to share their email" kind of messaging. They can see the content but cannot hit "reply" to continue to email thread.

Makes sense?
Quite useful if you want to keep your email address secret, but not so useful when you're trying to communicate. :-)

o

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 25, 13 at 15:59

Yep, Sugi is correct. I just figured that out after a lot of frustration. I just wish that GW would send a reject message back when replying to people that don't have their email sharing function enabled so we know what the issue is instead of thinking the internet gremlins are eating them.
Bruce

o

The only options I see in my profile are these:

* Allow ? to see your email address: None [just set to Members]

* Allow other users to send you email via forms at our site. [checked]

So are you talking about the first? This is dumb. Displaying my address on the site is NOT the same as letting a member that I email reply to it. [grrrr]

This post was edited by DMForcier on Mon, Feb 25, 13 at 16:58

o

Hope you don't mind if I chime in; I just went through the same thing on a different forum earlier today.

I got a message from a GW member with a request. But it stated (PLEASE NOTE: The member responding to your post has chosen not to reveal his or her email address. Therefore, you cannot reply to this message via email.) And the return address was gardenweb_user@gardenweb.com.

I also went through much frustration trying to figure out how to reply.

Ultimately I found that although his address was blocked, that I could e-mail him from his GW page. Also, I checked the box to copy me on the e-mail, and when I got the e-mail, his e-mail address was revealed to me.

I don't like e-mail through GW. For one thing, there is often a long lag from when I enter the message on GW until when it's actually sent (esp. if it's sent in the morning I have noticed). And, in a few occasions, the e-mails were never actually sent. Much easier to e-mail directly.

If you don't want to reveal your e-mail on GW, my advice would be to get a new, dedicated e-mail just for this which you don't mind revealing. You can forward from this to your regular e-mail and if you ever find it gets spammed, just discontinue it.

Just my two cents.

Alex

o

Mon, Feb 25, 13 at 17:28

Good information and advice Alex.
Bruce

o

Sugi and Alex - Thanks for your explanations. I hope that straightens out the issue.

Dennis - Resend your email to me and let's see if you have yours set up correctly now.

Alex - I did get your email and it did not have the note at the bottom. I will respond to it now. Let me know if you get my response.

John A

o

beleive it or not i got these at home depot last spring as an "ornamental" really hot and really seedy

o

Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 12:45

My HD never has anything more exotic than a "Mamoth" Jalapeno. :(
Bruce

o

it wasn't with the veggies but on the plant tables with all the other plants was 3.49 for a 1 gallon had 3 plants i seperated them out and planted them next to my chiltepin didn't grow real fast but had about 20 or so peppers per plant

o

email re-sent.

(And thanks for the data, Alex.)

Dennis

o

How to take care of the email issue

zellmarkj@yahoo.com

Done and done, simple easy. It's just an email account, I ignore all who spam if they do and reply to those I know.

Mark

This post was edited by habjolokia on Thu, Feb 28, 13 at 18:03

o

Got it. Commerce underway. Damn the tariffs and full speed ahead!

o

Well, the plants I ordered finally arrived. They're quite young--and probably a wee bit too early to ship if you ask me. They arrived and all four were "ALIVE", to be technical, but looking quite miserable and pathetic.

Black Pearls Arrive....Pitiful Shape

There was little to no soil remaining in the cells and what was left was SOAKING, so I just decided to immediately repot them into 5:1:1. I had intended for these to serve as the backdrop for a large container I have waiting, with coleus in front, etc. But that'll have to wait until they "recuperate" a little.

My Pitiful Black Pearl Pepper

This is the healthiest looking one....and clearly, she ain't so hot either. Here's to hoping!

Anyone know what would happen if I just pinched off this "bent over and sulkling" set of leaves? Would it grow new ones even if it's leafless? I'd really like to snip off the leaves on the middle plant in the first photo of the three plants....

For the next few days, I think I will keep them inside by the south window instead of putting them out. We're having some heavy rains and when that stops, it's pretty cold and cloudy out there. The warmth in here should help it quicker than the cold, right?

Or am I wrong?

o

Surgi_C let them recover inside. Also I would leave any leaves it has alone, no need to stress the plant further.

In May of 2010 I ordered Ghost and here is a pic, very bad shape. I put them at the time under a small plant light in a closet and they bounced back as well as turning into decent plants.

o

• Posted by Sugi_C 10a - SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 6, 13 at 19:19

Thanks for the guidance, Habjo. Good to know your pitiful looking ghost peppers recovered!

OK - I've put them by the south-facing windowsill. It should get relatively good sun (through the clouds anyway), and hopefully they make a comeback. It's a consistent and constant 70 in this house and a ceiling fan going 24/7...

o

Wed, Mar 6, 13 at 19:46

I am planning on mailing a couple of my seedlings to my sisters once they get a bit bigger. I am still trying to figure out a good way to pack them so they don't get trashed by USPS. Anyone got any good ideas? I am looking for them to get about 3-4" tall before packing and sending them.
Bruce

o

Esox, whenever I am going to send off seedlings, I use the seed cells to sprout or to propagate, then fill it up with moist potting soil. Then I tape the soil in and leave the plant sticking out between pieces of tape, and I snip off the top.
Then I take a lightbulb covering or paper towel roll and stick the whole thing in there, limiting how much that stems and leaves can move around. Then off it goes.

I've never had a plant die from physical damage en route to its destination, but I have had it bake once and freeze twice lol.

o

Wed, Mar 6, 13 at 20:36

Hmmm, OK, that gives me some ideas. Thanks Sugi C.
Bruce

o

Ouch, those are tiny Pearls!
Yes, south window, don't pinch the plants yet :-)

When I ship live material, I tape the container so potting mix doesn't spill, and I add a piece of cardboard over the surface of the mix. Then I use a dowel to wedge between the shipping box and the piece of cardboard on the plant container.

Josh

o

I think black pearl is easy to grow from seeds I have grown from seeds.
 photo IMG_1210_zps3f5fac80.jpg

Caelian

o

Nice seedlings, Caelian!

Josh

o

Thu, Mar 7, 13 at 11:24

Yes, nice seelings there Caelian. I am still holding out hope. I started one more cell of Black Pearl seed a couple days ago. I still don't have anything in my original two going on 10 days.

How long did it take your seedlings to pop?
Bruce

o

I sowed the seeds on 06.02.13 (paper towel method), germination started on 13.02.13. I do not used lights for all these seedlings.

Caelian

o

Update on my pitiful peppers:

The Other Pitiful Black Pearls

The three shown the other day are still "alive". One is knocking on heaven's door, poor thing -- the leaves completely disintegrated into gunk and I ended up having to trim them off. I've now sacked it into a baggie greenhouse setting, and am bowing to the gods daily for it.
Two of them are hanging in there. Not worse, but not significantly better.

One, which I had repotted the night before these, is now full-on loving life. It's inside on the ledge for the nights and mornings, and goes outside to play when the sun is shining.

I console myself saying that I only needed one plant anyway.....

Caelian - your seeds look nice and strong! See, this is what you get when you buy plants instead of seeding it yourself in an effort to save on some wait-time! :-D

o

Oh, and the strong one -- basking in the sun today, front and center. It's really not hot, though.....only 62 degrees or so.

Center: Black Pearl Pepper Plant

o

Mine just started to come up in the last day or two. Almost gave up on them. But they came up right at 14 days. Oddly enough all of my super hots germinated faster than these guys. But they are very unique in comparison to the others.

I see a lot of folks with green plants. Do these lose their colors as they get a little older and gain them back or something? Or is it as a result of poor lighting perhaps once they get bigger?

o

double post

This post was edited by ab2008 on Fri, Mar 8, 13 at 18:13

o

Fri, Mar 8, 13 at 19:35

Hey, ab2008, thanks for the post. I started two containers (4 seeds each) of Black Pearls on the 26th of Feb. I was getting pretty discouraged since everything else I planted came up within 9 days, most on day 6 or 7. So, I am at ten days right now. I did start a third container a couple days ago just in case but I guess I still have a good chance of the first two coming up over the next several days. I feel a little better now.
Thanks,
Bruce

o

Yes,
these are as slow or slower than my superhots to germinate and develop. I've tried to comfort Bruce about this, but I can see he still has doubts ;-) (just joshin' ya, Bruce). Did you dig around in one of the cells to see if the seeds are moving yet?

The Black Pearl should show dark purple cotyledons. The central new growth will always be lighter green, darkening as the foliage matures. The more light, the more intense color saturation (in my experience).

Josh

o

Fri, Mar 8, 13 at 21:42

Josh: Yep, still sweating it out. I forgot that they will come up purple...I had been looking for green. But no worries, neither have come up to date.

I dont want to dig around. I have done that several times in the past and have never found anything...not even moldy seeds. So, I don't want to mess things up with digging around. I will just let them go another two weeks or so and see what happens.
Bruce

o

After all the talk on this thread about the black pearls i planted some seeds. I had one black pearl pop up but it's in bad shape, seed leaves are rotted. Not sure what happened, not sure how its even alive. None of the other three seeds came up. I went all in yesterday and planted 10 more seeds, hoping to have at least two black pearls. I also planted Butch T ( 8 seeds) and Douglah 10-15 seeds. I hope to end up with two of each.

Mark

o

Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 14:56

Habajolokia:
How long did it take your black pearl to pop?
Bruce

o

Hi Bruce, 13 days but 1 out of 4 seeds sprouted and the one I don't think will live. I planted more yesterday and will see how long it takes. I will update once the sprout.

Mark

o

Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 18:57

OK, mine are at 12 days now. The later container is only a week. Regardless, I will let them go another two weeks before I toss them.
Bruce

o

Seeds received. Thanks john !! Nine (9) have gone into damp paper towel (with many friends). Results expected soonly.

These are labeled "2011", so germination rate may be down. I'll be happy with 50% or better.

Dennis

o

Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 18:02

Bruce & Chill:

Have you never found seeds to germinate COMPLETEY off the stated timeline? I've had seeds that claimed 7-10 days and two months later, they came up. I have to think it's something about the sun and/or temps that I didn't make right for it, but given the little room seed trays take up, I don't know if I'd chuck them already...

And now I think perhaps I should have started seeds because --- we now have one Black Pearl in the mortuary, two in ICU and one is recovering somewhat decently. Boy, these guys can't handle shipping very smoothly or perhaps were too young.

Two shots of the single plant that will probably make it:
Black Pearl Saga
Black Pearl Pepper #1

The two in ICU, critical condition, prognosis is glum for the top one and a little more hopeful for the second one:

ICU: Black Pearl Pepper Plant #3
ICU: Black Pearl Pepper Plant #2

Maybe I will get some seeds and do it myself!

o

Ouch the first one does not look too bad. The second one looks like damping off fungus got it. Third looks to be sunburned. Do you know the nature of the growing environment from the source weather or not they were grown under lights? If they were and put out into direct sunlight that could be the problem and the first one was further along and better able to handle the sun.

Mark

o

Mark, they were from Hirt's Garden -- not sure of the lights they used for it....
The first went out into partial sun first and the remaining three were left inside in bright sun. Perhaps it was too much.... Then the first one, looking well enough, went into full sun.

After the one plant croaked on me, I noticed the one outside doing so much better than my remaining two, so I put those out next to it. Bad idea I guess....

But definitely the first one arrived looking a tad better than the other three which looked like overlooked spinach, haha.

C'est la vie! Survival of the fittest around here....but I am regretting paying the $11.99 for expedited shipping!

o

Three of my nine seeds popped this morning. Another was obviously dead. So five left.

o

Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 17:05

Wow, that is just three days! I am going on three weeks and nothing is happening. But I still can't believe three days. They are notoriously slow germinators. God job and good luck DMForcier.

Bruce

o

Two more popped last night and another this morning. Of the remaining two, one looks fecund and the other moribund.

The mammoth jalapenos and Korean dark green that went down at the same time are on a similar schedule.

Still languishing:
Fresno (which I expected to be faster)
Japone
Peruvian Chinense (which I expected to be slow)
San Marzano tomato (huh?)

I've never had anything take 3 weeks in baggies at 85°. Gloom seems appropriate. Sorry.

Dennis

o

So my first batch the one bad black perl I was moving and dropped it and no idea where it went. I collected the soil that I spilled and placed the pot to the side. I was thinking to either use the soil or toss it outside but soon forgot about it in the basement on the counter a foot or so away from my plants. I went down to plant tomato seeds and as I was reaching knocked over that same seedling pot grrrrr picked it up and placed on the counter and went on my way to plant tomato seeds then heading back to the counter to my surprise a black pearl now mostly exposed from the missing soil when I knocked it over, I got very excited and am keeping this fighter. So seed originally planted Feb 22nd and today I noticed it, so took along time to sprout.

Hope you can see the tiny guy in the pic.

Mark

o

Cool story, you plant killing monster. It actually looks pretty good. These little guys really can be tough.

My little BJ without roots or cots I have named "Immortal Beloved". Not only did it survive cutting off the seed case and being eaten by a bad cat, it also survived the Great Starter Flat Disaster and transplanting way too young. Still green and upright with a good start on a real leaf. Amazing.

Good luck, but be slow to name it.

Dennis

o

Hehehe... congrats, Mark! I know you were waiting on those something fierce!

Over here, one is completely dead, as I had mentioned. The next is near dead -- no leaves, no growth, stem is still "not dead" though I don't know if I'd classify it as 'alive" either. The third is spurting tiny new leaves -- I daresay that one will make it. The fourth, which was always doing the best, looked weak with white-trimmed leaves and general "blaaah-ness" but looks to be perking back up. I still have them indoors just to keep them out of the colder winds but I'm about to throw the good one outside.

I did email Hirt's Garden with the sequential photos and without any reply -- they did refund 50% of what I paid.

-Grace

o

Thanks and he is named fighter, I know, but he was already named when I posted the thread.

@Dennis, wow brutal on he Bhut and its amazing the Bhut is still alive. Got to keep the bad cat away. nice name for the plant, hope you are able to get it up to pod producing health and size.

@Grace, hopefully at least one survives and its the least Hirts could have done, but odd that they did so without even a reply.

Mark

o

Hey Bruce, I know it's a bit late, but concerning shipping. I am going to be shipping some plants this year and my plan is to remove the plant from the pot (with soil - should be a bit root bound by then), wrap the root ball in a baggie with a tie wrap around the stem, roll the whole thing up in some thin cardboard and tape, put in a small box, tape to the bottom, then fill the rest with the air bags. I've gotten a lot in the mail like that. We'll see how it goes for me. I was going to leave them in the pot and tape up leaving the plant sticking up. But, I figured there's a chance of making a mess and losing a lot of soil.
Pam

o

Tue, Mar 19, 13 at 12:05

Pam: Thanks, that sounds like a good idea, especially if the plant is root bound as you say. I am definitely going to consider that option. It will be about a month before I send them so they got plenty of time to get "rootbound" I guess.
Bruce

o

Bruce, I don't know if the plant needs to be root bound (I was just meaning mine would be). I was planning to send mine off the way (similar at least) sugi said to do it, it was my friend who thought I should do it this way. I've had plants come in all kinds of ways, and I think she's right, it's less messy and you lose less soil this route. I just got a hydrangea in this weekend, it was well packed, but in a pot, most of the soil was loose in the box. I think too, if you just have a root ball the paper towel tube would work really well. There are so many options, I guess you gotta find what works best for you.
Pam

o
Happy happy joy joy

Eight days after starting the soak, I have four little Black Pearl seedlings. Two more still underground.

o
Happy happy joy joy - part deux

Here's the next two. Interestingly, the fourth - still a ground loop - shows a bright green stem...

o

The fourth one turned deep purple as soon as it popped up.

These are disconcerting to grow. They are quite hard to see against the dirt.

o

DM - looking good! I ended up ordering some seeds, too. Funny, given that I started this thread BECAUSE I didn't want to start this with seeds.

Today, two out of the four plants are alive. I think they're doing pretty well, given the trauma they are recovering from. But lest these never become robust, I figured I'd order some seeds and see what comes of it. Following you guys and the seed/sprout saga, I'm a bit apprehensive.

mar21-b

o

Surgi_C looking a lot better. Don't worry they will recover, even the one that looks like just a stick.

This one pictured June 5th 2012 went from this stick to a 3 1/2 ft plant by 4 ft holding a good yield of peppers I would say about 90-100 harvestable peppers at the end of the season and producing so much more but ran out of time. This one survived damping off fungus that's why it was topped because that part died and it was accidentally stepped on flat to the ground during weeding but still came back with a fight.

Mark

o

Bruce, the seeds I planted on March 12th 4 black pearls popped up, 12 days not too bad. Have your black pearl popped out yet?

Mark

o

Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 10:30

habajolokia: I haven't checked this morning yet but as of last night...NO. I am not holding out hope but I will let them go to the end of the month before I give up completely. I will give them another go around next year. It is too late to get anything going yet this season.

I am a little discouraged right now as I have lost three seedlings so far this year and I don't know why. The only thing I can think is I let them get a bit too dry once. I haven't experienced this kind of issue before. It was either a wide spread issue or none at all in years past but this year I had one die ( I thought damping off) early and now two more died a week ago and it just doesnt seem like damping off as the stems are not weak. They just wilt and then die making me think I might have let those individual pots dry too much. They were all three different varieties too. One was a cayenne, easily replaceable at the garden center.
Oh well, I still have plenty to keep me busy.
Bruce

o

Here are my tiny black pearl, is the one green one not a black pearl? To the upper right of the green one is another black pearl though hard to see. I gave away two black pearl seedlings.

Mark

o

I Know How It feels, Bruce. I Lost A Bonda Ma Jacques, A Scorpion And A Tequila Sunrise And I Am Still Bummed Out.

o

I finally got a A Bonda Ma Jacques to germinate. Only one I had a problem with and it took a long time. The black pearl pepper is a gorgeous plant. Curious to see how yours turns out!

o

Mark, I don't think so. Mine came up either black or green, but the green one immediately turned black. They have very slender cotyledons, too, which your green one doesn't. Could be anything.

Fwiw, I have a "bhut" that looks an awful lot like an orange Thai...

o

These were taken 3 days ago. Will be transplanting them today. I had one with green cotyledons, but I'm not sure if it's just something different or not. I'll probably mark it as black, but who knows. The other 3 look like they are supposed to.

o

ab, how old are those?

While my plants mostly appear healthy, I'm not happy with the rate of growth compared to what I'm seeing in pictures here. Part of the problem may have been dim lamps, but I replaced the tubes a week ago plus moving onto sunlight and I'm not seeing appreciable acceleration response from about 1/3 of them. (MGMC in starter cells, moving into 5:1:1, with 1/4 strength MG 24-8-16.) Some seem to be doing okay; others could pass for dwarf varieties. (Can't tell about the Black Pearls yet - they're just setting true leaves.)
Dennis

o

Dennis, probably a combo of lights and lower nutrients. As a test, increase the nutrients on a couple plants. You should be able to draw conclusions within 2 - 5 days.

I've had miserable growth this year...all of it my fault. Weak lights, transplanted seedlings too young into 4-inch pots, and practically starved them. Now that I've increased to full-strength Foliage Pro (114 PPM), the tiny pale seedlings have greened up and started to put on decent growth.

Josh

o

I'll try that, but there are only a few "dwarf" plants that show nutrient deficiencies, other than small size. (At least, show what I recognize to be nutrient deficiencies - you might be able to hear them screaming.) Some of the larger plants look a little pale, but I put that down to recent long stints in the sun. (Which may actually have caused nutrient deficiency now that I think about it...)

Thanks for the suggestion.

o

DMForcier,

Those plants came up and poked through the soil around the 7-9th of this month. So they are around 3 weeks old. They did take a while to germinate.

They have just been in a mix of some plain seed starter mix + a mix of composted cow manure and part MG potting mix. That's what I started them in and they have been doing well.
With that said they get 24/7 light. But a mix of the 6500k, and occasionally rotate them out to a smaller light to let others get the better light since I don't have many 4 ft shop lights.

They should do slightly better once I move them over to a bigger container today and move them to a straight compost/potting soil mix.

o

Only three weeks, huh? That's impressive.

Hmm. I bet the manure has something to do with it. I have a bag sitting here, but decided not to use it so I can get a baseline of performance with the unamended products.

Two of the Black Pearls are doing better than the other three. I think I'll hit the shorties with more ferts and see if I can catch them up. News at 11.

o

I decided against the BP experiment and hit them all with a small dose (~5cc) of the full strength MG. (Well, 2 tsp per gallon.) One was kind wilty but that may have been dryness (though I would have thought that the roots would be too deep for that by now).

I'll address the slow growth issue in its own thread.

o
True leaves are green

Update. The wilty one now looks crispy, but life is not entirely gone. Others look good.

o

Another view

o

Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 17:12

I wish I had never started this whole ordeal, haha. What a pain to wait for recovery instead of watching healthy plants grow. As much as I love eating hot peppers, and as impatient as I am, I think I will stick to starting seeds rather than ordering any pepper variety ever again.

Apr 2: Black Pearl Plants

The jalapeno plant is growing fine and bushy, as I keep pinching the tops.
The serrano have popped up and look good, though I really don't need six serrano plants, even though I use these more than any other variety. I guess I'll give them away to friends. They took about 7-8 days. I put them under dome finally and they popped up the day after.
Serrano seedlings

The Habaneros, planted at the same time as Serranos, have decided to germinate when I'm 90 years old. There's like no action happening there, and it's been about 12 days now.

My BP seeds arrived so I planted three in the wee hours of April 1. At this rate, those will germinate and grow faster than these two BPs!

And, while ordering those seeds, I couldn't resist ordering some Purple Flash seeds. Stunning plant -- have you guys ever grown this one?

o

Where I live they re-seed themselves. I have many, many coming up all over the place. When they get a little larger I can try to send you some. I can send a lot since it may shock them to be pulled up and then mailed. I grow them for ornamental. Ive never tried eating them.

o

Rose -

The Purple Flash is what you're referring to?

If so, what a spectacular sight that must make! You have to take a photo and show us. Everywhere I've looked, folks are saying these are not peppers to eat. Some say it's too hot, and others say it's not that hot -- just tastes bad. This one, unlike the others, I intend to keep as true ornamentals.

Let me see how these seeds do, and if they act like the wretched habaneros, I'd be only too thrilled to send you shipping for the pulled plants! I have really limited full-sun space here, and I should be beaten for even starting more seeds at this point. But thank you, Rose!

DM: by the way, your seedlings look good, but isn't that soil a bit too dry? Or is it just the photographs...?

o

2013-04-02_19-13-27_658 photo photobucket-42047-1364951209232.jpg

2013-04-02_19-13-33_974 photo photobucket-3232-1364951207173.jpg

Thought I'd post an update of my black pearls after getting them separated out and transplanted.

o

ab2008, wow looking real good. Mine are not even close in size. Can't wait until mine look like that, then I may post them lol.

Mark

o

Ab --- the seedlings look awesome. This is all under lights indoors?
I have mine in full sun outdoors in 70+. Clearly my seeds are not appreciating their luck in having such great weather, haha.

Outdoors in this weather under dome, it must be 90+ in there. I open it often but I'm now wondering if that's helpful or hurtful. It helped immensely with shiso and Serrano, but not sure about these - more peppers, tomatoes and some flowers.

What kind of medium are you using?

o

Yeah they are just under some 6500k t8 bulbs. It stays around 70-75 degrees where I keep them. And before the transplant, they were in some regular seed starting mix, mixed with MG potting soil, and composted cow manure. After transplanting, they are in a mix of some cheap, left over potting soil + composted manure. I really didn't like the cheap potting soil, but I let my mom use the MG indoors. The plants dont seem to mind, and have taken to it really well. So nothing too fancy. The lights are also probably 3-4" in comparison to the 1-2 that I would prefer. But I have a lot of plants that are various sizes, and my sweet peppers are a lot taller than anything else.

o

Sugi, it's a balancing act. With the dome off the starter cell surfaces do dry out, but the cells are deep and the plants don't complain. I hit them with about 3cc of water ever once in a while - enough to keep the cell moist but have the top still show dry.

o

I have been following this post with much interest. I planted 20 seeds hoping I would have a few germinate but to my surprise all but 2 came up. They are such robust healthy little plants.
Love them!

o

NB, you are a mean, mean person!

-Said the girl who is still peering into soil daily.

But seriously, those are some handsome plants!!
I dug around an hour ago and I saw that at least one threw out a root, so there is hope. I only planted three seeds of BP and three of Purple Flash. All of the others I started at the same time have now taken off with 100% germination except these two peppers and 3 out of 4 habanero seeds which are now peeking out, but I am insisting on having the same 100% come hell or high water, lol.

When did you plant yours and how long to germinate?

o

Hi Sugi,

Sorry didn't mean to be mean ;)

I would say they took almost 2 weeks to germinate. I had almost given up hope on them. I covered them with a bag to help retain the moisture better and they took off. I started them at the end of February.

Don't give up it seems these ones require patience.

o

Good to know. Thanks. I planted these on April 1 so I'm under two weeks, and this year, at least with what I am trying out, when one shows up, the remainder pop up the day after. I have been keeping these under dome, which I normally don't use for seeds.

The wretched Habaneros took 19 days! I don't have time for this, haha.

The other day I went to Home Depot. I nearly screamed when I saw Purple Flash plants. I mean....this is why I hate doing seeds! Haha.

Fingers crossed. Please continue posting photos to keep us updated!

In the meantime, the two "ICU" Black Pearls are growing. I've seen cacti grow faster than these.

Grace

o

> "I've seen cacti grow faster than these. "

I know what you mean. About half my plants are growing somewhat normally. The rest seem to be caught in a time stasis field. The BPs - the four that survive - are still working on their first leaves. I'm thinking that they could do with some sun...

o

2013-04-10_18-21-38_117 photo photobucket-18833-1365638073982.jpg

The couple of mine are doing really well. First full day of being outside here. Will have to bring them in friday and saturday as the night temps are going to dip into the 40's, but this week has been in the 80s, and next week starts off in the 80s. Going to put the little guys in the ground next week if temps stay the same.

o

Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 21:32

I had no luck with a couple tries at getting some of these to grow. I couldn't even get one to germinate where every other variety germinated fine. It is too late this year but next year, I will start some a lot earlier as I REALLY would love to grow out a couple of these fellas.
Bruce

o

Bummer, sorry to hear, Bruce.
For what it's worth, and I don't know if this is a tip or a death sentence -- but for this batch, I have wet the medium an incredulous amount, kept it domed in full sun for 5-6 hours, brought it into warmth overnight and repeated daily for the last few days. Any other seed would have probably cooked or decomposed but that seemingly worked because now I see legs, as shown. Can you see it? That tiny root? Heh. I'm pathetic.

Or maybe it just enjoys my digging around to find it and covering it back up lol. I'm starting to think these are just not pretty enough to warrant this much of my time and mental concern, haha.

o

Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 16:10

You may be on to something there. Keep us posted.
Bruce

o

> "Roots!? We don' need no steenken roots!" - Immortal B[andit]J

I don' see nothin' in thet peecture. No.

I potted three of my Pearls today and gave them an hour of sun. *Good* root development, especially the big one that snapped off as I moved it. Sometimes I could throw these at the pots with better results...

Dennis

o

I hate seeds....I hate seeds.....I hate seeds. LOL

2014: BUY PLANTS, GRACE.

o

I see root!

Josh

o

One Purple Flash came up, and make no mistake, I just mean it popped a stem and still has the seed on its head kind of up. Argh.

The remainder think I have nothing better to do. In their defense, it's been hot sun but really quite cold (for my area anyway) with highs of 60-something and lows even dipping to 46 last night (unusual). Considering I've been treating these like royalty and all but put a goose down comforter over them -- I still find it unforgivable lol. They have one more week and then my Korean impatient side takes over.

The habaneros are really nothing to write home about either. But at least after 3 weeks they all came up -- even two in one cell (I clearly cannot count as that was not my intention.

The serranos, on the other hand, are awesome and have all been transplanted. I tend to transplant really early and this year, using 5:1:1, I did it when only the cotyledons were nice and big without any new leaves.

I don't know about the rest of you but I am really tired of seed cells and 3" containers now. I guess from January to April is my limit, haha.

The ICU Black Pearls are coming around. I don't suppose these slowbies will hit a growth spurt? I presume these just grow at this rate?

o

The two BP that I was nursing are doing much better. They've entered the fun stage where I can see a little growth daily. :-) The last few days of 80-something heat helped; the peppers and tomatoes were much happier than the rest of my plants.

I'm curious how everyone else is doing?

FWIW, none of the 3 BP seeds sprouted, tho they are still out there (in an ignored state so I don't hope for much) and one Purple Flash peeked out but did not much else. I'm currently nursing that one -- but it's tiny with tiny cotyledons....I have it in dappled sun right now but we shall see.

So far this year, I am noticing big growth but smaller leaves compared to when I used to plant peppers in the ground. My Jalapeño looks nearly Ca deficient except it's growing beautifully and have set so many flowers. The BP, too, is more leafed out than some of the photos shown on this thread but many of you have much larger/broader leafed plants than I do. I'm wondering if something went askew when I made the soils but no complaints yet. Flower productions look good so what's to complain about? And smaller is not a bad thing with limited space.

Grace

o

Beautifully grown!
They're just really slow like that. But they will hit a growth spurt eventually. Are you still fertilizing regularly? With this warm weather, my plants are finally showing signs of growing :-)

Josh

o

Grace your BP are looking great now, nice going! Black pearls are the slowest growing peppers I've grown ever, they crawl, can't wait until it grows faster. Next season I will start them in December lol.

Here are my three all planted the same time. I just repotted and watered them. Hope this gives them a boost to grow faster. All my other plants are hardening off now, but the lows of 48 are not helping them grow any faster. My habanero has tiny pods lol can't wait until its warmer. I feel bad for those in WI and the north who are still dealing with snow.

The pepper off the camera shot except the leaf was planted from the same seed stock as the BP but its a mystery pepper as it has no character of a BP.

Mark

o

Josh, thank you! Where in NorCal are you? Here in the SF area, we did have a warm blast for a few days in which the peppers and tomatoes thrived. I'd so been waiting for warmth but wouldn't you know it, within 3 hours of it, I was cursing summer, lol. I don't know about your area, but it's like fall here now---back to needing a coat. :-/ Incidentally, Josh, I need to ask you about your gardenias soon as I have, yet again, made mine unhappy.

Mark -- WOW, look at the size difference! Hmm, any clue as to how that came to be? I know my serranos, all done on the same day, are about equal except for one which had just one set of true leaves, but it's not as clear of a difference as yours. The big, black leaves are nothing short of stunning!! The odd one looks to be developing some "muddiness" like BP, no? I am so curious to see what it actually is! Maybe you will have a "Habjo Mystery" pepper named after you. ;-)

My habaneros are too embarrassing to show -- so small. Tiny cotyledons with tiny true leaves. I think they need more heat, but despite having been started in full sun, I noticed the cotyledon burned when kept in full sun. So they've been in dappled sun -- and I figure I will keep them there until they show some robustness. Serranos are fine and on schedule, and my one jalapeño plant has set no less than 50 buds....and of course, it's the one I was least excited about!

Grace

o

Hi Grace, the smaller ones came to be because I let three plants grow in a tiny container so it was the two shorter BP and the mystery pepper growing. The mystery pepper grows quick as it towered over the two BP also I know it's not a BP, it already has flower buds growing, the muddieness is from my floro lights some leaves turn that color using stoplights especially if you forget to turn them off and they run over 24 hrs. I ran the root ball under water to knock loose all the soil and exposed the roots detangled as best I could and repotted. I hate to cull lol.

I agree weather has been crazy from 40's to 70's and back again each week is so different, zone 7 MD.

I think once the weather is stable you will be proud to post a pic of your habaneros. Good idea keeping them in speckled sun for awhile. Look forward to when you post pics of them.

Mark

o

One of my Pearls has just taken off. The other three are doing very well, but not as good as the SuperPearl. I'll post a pic of two soon.

o

Hey, Grace! I'm up in the Auburn area, about 35 miles northeast of Sacramento along the I-80 corridor :-) Yes, last week we were in the 80F's and 90F's, and it sure was hot! Yesterday morning, we got nearly a half inch of rain...so all my plants are well soaked, with lower leaves even turning that distinctive early-May yellow.

I don't grow gardenias, but my brother does in Sacramento. If it's potted gardenias we're talking, Meyer Mike is the man to contact, and I'd be more than happy to set that up.

Josh

o

Josh, it's significantly warmer up there during the summer than here, right? I know I almost baked crossing the street last time I went to Sac. I would have guessed your winter temps to be similar to ours but your zone says otherwise?

I must have gotten you and Mike confused. I saw his gardenias -- most gorgeous ones ever -- when I first joined GW and seeing that led me to me re-attempting the god forsaken gardenia, which I had vowed off forever, which led to this current state of dismay, lol. I think it's now conclusive: I must steer clear of gardenias, period. PERIOD.

Mark: hope you will recognize what you got when it produces peppers. I have yet to use lights, but after seeing your specimens and that of some other folks, now I WANT to use lights, haha, though my area really does allow me to start seeds outside come February,...but not having the sun under my control was annoying. Hmm....if I move, I just may invest in a light system.

Which contradicts my vow to ne'er start seeds again lol.

DM - show us the peppers!! :-)

Grace

o

Good morning!
Hot in the Summer, indeed, and chilly in the Winter. It only drops into the upper teens for a few nights out of the year. Here's a shot of the garden....

o

Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 21:05

OMG JOSH - I didn't see this last post until now, but what kind of CALIFORNIA is that!?! I guess you really are up there! :-D Brrrr.

So, update on the BP plants.
As some of you may know, I have a pepper-growing issue this year with all exhibiting some curled leaves. Of the peppers, even the BP doesn't look like those you guys have posted, but it's the least affected of the peppers.

Of the two I had, I drove one down to my parents' house and it's basking in the SoCal sun and loving life. Not that my mother could actually operate a cellphone camera to show me, but she swears it's doing well.

I kept one, and here she is today. Some leaf curling and a significantly more upright growth than width but otherwise, it looks pretty healthy and I'm not displeased.

Some of the shots will show it looking a bit dusty -- I had just finished breaking apart hardened chunks of Pro-Mix which was sort of like being in a sawdust tornado.

The coke can is for scale:
IMG_4740

IMG_4742

Even some buds!!
IMG_4679

IMG_4761

IMG_4680-001

IMG_4661

I feel like lopping it off on top to encourage width.... any thoughts? :-D

-Grace

Here is a link that might be useful: Curled Leaves

o

Grace, nice looking BP. My BP were also started like yours except the curled leaves. When the main stem got pods they stopped growing and produced side branches. All the old side branches have grown faster and the plants getting wider. I do not prefer anything else to do. Just let it grows naturally. If you would like to see what I explained about my BP then I can upload the pictures.

Good luck
Caelian

o

I'd love to see your BPs and how they are doing, Caelian, but I perfectly understood what you described. I'll leave this one as-is!

Thank you!

Grace

o

I do not have much experiences so what I said before was just my opinion. This is also my first time grow so someone who has experiences may be more reasonable to give you tips to make your BP wider.

The pictures:

Black Pearl 18June2013B photo IMG_2381_zps72baf2c5.jpg

From different angle:

Black Pearl June 18, 2013 photo IMG_2368_zps97917ff5.jpg

I think your container is almost the same size containers I have used you also use 5:1:1. If so I am so curious how would you manage the soil moisture properly.

Thank you for allowed me to upload my BP :-)

Caelian

o

Hi Caelian,

Your BP is BEAUTIFUL! It's branching out on top so nicely.

Yup, this is one that remains in 5:1:1 for now. You know, with all the veggies, I keep then quite moist. Right now, with 73-75 degree highs, I give them all water every 2-3 days. Especially with the peppers because all but one are in smaller pots, and the tomatoes because I have them kind of cramped into large planters -- potentially too many. So I do feel the top 1/2" and if it's not significantly moist, I water. With the 5:1:1, I am really not worried about overwatering peppers in full sun; I imagine it would be hard to do unless it's sitting in water.
Once it hits 80+ -- if it ever hits 80 plus here, haha -- I'll water all the veggies daily regardless.

In other news, I have a flower, lol. Months of attention and waiting has paid off. Now, to get a fruit....

o

Grace, it is nice to see your updates. Your plant is now healthier than before and so beautiful, now it is time to enjoy by watching their fruits and progress.

I am afraid of 5:1:1 in small pots because they dry very fast and needs water often probably every day. You have experience of this medium so you manage very well, I think.

Take care of your plants :-)

Caelian

This post was edited by chilliwin on Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 5:18

o

Grace your BP has come a long way from how they looked from the start. Great job the BP looks fantastic and what a beautiful purple flowers. Looking forward to pod pics.

Mark

o

Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 7:41

I simply have to get a BP to grow for me next season. I tried several last winter and couldn't get even one to germinate. It is the only pepper that I had so much trouble getting to germinate. But I am gonna start early this coming off-season and make sure I have one going into next summer. I love the pictures.
Bruce

o

2013-06-27_20-21-44_692 photo photobucket-3882-1372405770870.jpg

Finally coming along after being sat out a little early for here, but turning out to be a beautiful plant an addition to the garden.

o

Superb updates, all!
Here's my Black Pearl, beginning to bush. Later in the season, the leaves will mature and take on that fine purple-black metallic sheen. Grace, don't worry, the Black Pearl is very good at setting pods :-)

Josh

o

Superb updates, all!
Here's my Black Pearl, beginning to bush. Later in the season, the leaves will mature and take on that fine purple-black metallic sheen. Grace, don't worry, the Black Pearl is very good at setting pods :-)

Josh

o

Josh, you were right. Setting pods has not been a problem, though none are picking size yet. How big should they be at harvest? Or do you not eat these at all?

Are you going to keep your beauty in a pot? (And of course, your 5-1-1 looks awesome.)

I have mine in a regular 6 in terra cotta pot and she seems happy enough despite being taller in height than the pot. I am not sure it will need to be transplanted at all, though I do notice it dries out fast -- not that it seems to bother the plant either.

Beautiful plant, though. Even if the peppers taste like crap, I'd grow this one again. I call it stunning and my BF always refers to it as the ominous plant. Sheesh. I guess I've kinda grown fond of it since I nursed it back from heaven's doorstep.

o

Full height.

o

Hi Grace, Wow the BP has come along way and is now a great looking plant. The peppers will turn red when they are ripe and then will be ready to eat. I have not tried the BP so I can't comment on flavor.

One thing I like about your plant it truly rocks the purple leaves and less of the green.

Mark

o

Hi,

I recently posted this elsewhere here, and thought it was worth putting on this page too. My BP with a temporary visitor. He subsequently left and has not come back.

Alex

o

Picture from further back, capturing more of the plant.

o

Mark, wow. I wonder what affects that -- is it just a genetic issue or a sun/heat thing? On mine, the newest leaves emerge a muddied green but quickly turn colors to black. Since we hardly break 70 these days, maybe lesser heat keeps it darker? Or perhaps it is all genetics of the seeds.

How tall is yours?

My Purple Flash, too. The tiny seedling has grown into a nice adolescent but seriously black. This is one sun step back from the BP, so gets an hour or so less sun. The leaves feel even rubberier (not a word lol) than the BP.

Maple, I don't like frogs but I'll admit that your frog is kind of cute. As long as it's on your plant and not mine haha.
Your plant looks much bigger than mine. What size pot?

Grace

o

Grace, I'm glad you like my frog. I'm anything but a frog afficionado, but I think he looks great on my BP, it really brings out his dark blotches. ;o)

I wonder if the dark coloration is seen in response to strong light. I was worried about my plant earlier in the season when it was growing in the basement as it was very green, but since I brought it outside, it's been nice and dark as you can see. Also, you can see that the interior leaves are greener than the outside ones.

This plant is in a 3 gallon pot, and is the only one of my peppers in less than a 5 gallon pot.

Alex

o

I had four plants that flowered pretty well. Leaves didn't look great but three have sold. None of them set a pod before it left and the remaining one hasn't either. I'm taking it out of full-time sun on the theory that the black leaves absorb too much heat.

How much sun are yours getting?

o

Maple, wow lucky plant to be in a 3 gallon. I wonder how long mine can go in its current pot. I like the sunlight theory but I suspect Mark has way more sun than I do in SF. And heat. Almost anywhere in the world has more heat lol.

Dennis, my BP gets full sun from 7:30am or so, until 2pm now, since solstice? Prior to that the sun would be off the plants by 1:30pm. Really not too much sun. Along w the aforementioned cold (<70* weather) I cannot imagine it is something I am doing right. That said, this balcony faces almost fully south (w/ a little curve to the east) so it is bright all day long until sunset. The plants, though, lose sun at about that time due to the balcony overhang/ceiling. Ambient light is very good, if that matters--just no direct sun at all. You can see in the photo that the sun is full force right now -- just not in my balcony at all. :-(

o

Hey! Your Black Pearls are just coming along wonderfully! Grace, I think you can keep your plant in that pot - with a careful eye to watering, as you note - and then re-pot it next year to a slightly larger container.

The pods will ripen in various sizes, some of them as large as marbles, with others the size of peas. I do eat the pods, but I don't cook with them. I tried drying them, but I found that the flavor did not hold. When fresh, they have what I describe as a strong black pepper flavor with a slight tanginess that you would find in a Thai chile, for example. The heat is medium and varies from pod to pod. The pods, however, are absolutely packed with seed...and that's why I don't bother preparing them or cooking with them. I do encourage you to try them, though. I have a few ripe pods now. Here's a pic of the pods in the ripening stage:

o

Oh my goodness, look at them reddening!! I can't wait. I'm glad you have eaten them, Josh, because I could not find one thing about the taste except "too hot, not recommended for eating". I will definitely try them, too!

Is that in the ground?

o

They have a good smack of heat for sure, but not too hot for eating.
I have a weak stomach, and yet I can chew these up and swallow them down without a problem...so you know they can't be *that* hot.

My plant is in a 1.5 gallon pot. Here it is:

o

Several plants in this post have other than round pods.
Not Black Pearl.
Black Pearl in my experiance has ALWAYS put out VERY little pod variations,NO tear dropped shaped pods.
Check out
the different BLACK this or that varieties in the link below..

I Think you would have had less hassle growing from pure seeds than buying the crap the plant vendor sent you(sugiC).
Probably would have taken the same time but less stress nursing crap to grow right.

I had a plant from the people that engineered it and won the prizes way back when...years ago...
I grew it for a season or 2 in a 6 inch pot in a south facing window for pure seeds.
It eventually made it outside (in a pot).

If you want Pure seeds from original stock, I have a few,PM me.

Not trying to rain on anyones parade but Black Pearl IS black pearl.
Not just a color of a plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Peppers

o

Just noticed that today, Smoke.

My original photo on the first post as well as Josh's and Mark's plants have near perfect round pods. Mine and 1 or 2 more on this thread seem total teardrop shape.

So then...WHAT THE HELL DO I HAVE?!? Another unidentifiable plant? Noooooooo!!! :-(

Because these were giving me so many problems I purchased BP seeds. I only planted three and none actually germinated so dare I say it, THIS was actually easier, haha. Of course, what I did grow appears to be something else--there is that little issue. Crap!

I'd love to try the original stock. But what made you stop growing them? Do you not like?

Grace

o

A lot of nice BPs, thank you all for the updates.

Today I saw new posts here and then checked my BPs and took some pictures.

Too much plants it is over 100 now and I do not have enough space. So I moved my 3 BPs out of 4 near the other vegetables.
Black Pearl 31JL13A photo IMG_3024_zpse02fa3be.jpg

It is medium hot but I hate the taste.

Black Pearl 31JL13B photo IMG_3025_zpsc9c1dfef.jpg

Caelian

o

My seed collection doesn't match my garden space.
I can't grow all the stuff I want to.
Anything after I get what I want from them gets a new home.

I have over 5000 varieties,strains and Hybrids of non bell pepper seeds in my collection that need to be rotated along with new stuff I find that I want to grow out each season.
No plant but a few stay around more than a season or 2 in my garden.

Nope,Addicted to Chiles,NOT ME,nope,not me,I can stop growing and eating them whenever I want to. LOL

I only made 25lbs of smoked Manzano powder last year and dried another 25+lbs.
Not counting the measily 12lbs. of paprika , 5lbs. of mixed Chinense and 10 lbs of Annuum mixed powder.

Nope,I am not addicted,no way.
It's just that when I first started growing Chile,I had a hard time deciding what to grow...
So I decided to grow them all. :)

o

My space is for about 10 to 20 plants. In fact it is not a gardening space. None of my neighbors have grown any vegetables.

The number increased when I tried different soil and different seeds sources. Whenever I saw some nice plants here and I tried. Black Pearls is one of them.

Still I enjoy taking care of my plants :-)

Grace, sorry I am off the topic.

Caelian

o

Caelian, your Black Pearl is exquisite!
Thanks for the update!

Josh

o

Josh, thank you.

The first one has some holes on the leaves, insects from the cabbage (green one about 1 inch long) invaded some of my plants.

Caelian

o

Hi Grace here is a shot of the BP as you can see its more green than black. This is one of the ones I gave away and this one my Mom is growing.

Mark

o

Mark,
the leaves will darken as they mature, although they do need sun for the best coloration. Vigorously growing plants will have more green due to the amount of new growth visible. My plant's in the same boat. Beside a green Thai chile, it looks darker.

Well, we're about to top out at 150 posts. This has been a great Thread. ;-)

o

I'm NB Canada, got my seeds from Pepper Joe, plants are doing amazing and I have fruit pushing out, beautiful black pearls.

o

I pruned my Pearl today, and harvested the pods I'll be using for next year's seed stock. I ate a couple. Good small smack of heat....but too damned many seeds to enjoy chewing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here